Park ranger: Supervisors pushed seque...

Park ranger: Supervisors pushed sequester cuts that visitors would see

There are 24 comments on the Fox News story from Mar 8, 2013, titled Park ranger: Supervisors pushed sequester cuts that visitors would see. In it, Fox News reports that:

A U.S. park ranger, who did not wish to be identified, told FoxNews.com that supervisors within the National Park Service overruled plans to deal with the budget cuts in a way that would have had minimal impact on the public.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#1 Mar 8, 2013
IF true (and it comes from Faux News and an anonymous source, so I don't really believe it at this point) it would still be a justifiable way of showing how dumb, poorly-thought-out, and poorly-targeted the Seqester cuts were in the first place.

Not that that would reflect on Obama very well, since he agreed to it and signed it, but...
If you

Santa Fe, NM

#2 Mar 8, 2013
read the text it is obvious that we are getting the same fox spin.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#3 Mar 9, 2013
Each agency gets to decide where to cut, well not actually cut, not grow as much. This is Obama and the federal employees telling us they won't cut fat or marginal programs first. Don't you wish you could do that. If your income dropped 2% you could quit paying your mortgage before you would cut out a vacation and the bank couldn't do a thing. This makes perfect progressive sense.
duuh

Santa Fe, NM

#4 Mar 9, 2013
RustyS wrote:
It is you idiots who hate American society.

If you were responsible for managing the parks would you be alying off those that do the essential administrative and resource protection functions or not hiring the summer temps?

The Left Coast

#5 Mar 10, 2013
I'd probably cut back on the massive administrative bureaucracy, the endless out of state training, the conferences, the expensive publications and keep the people that are IN the parks. Why not let the park manager decide. I can tell you why, they would cut out things that donít affect the park but won't make the news. The goal here is make it hurt. Now, just so weíre on the facts, this IS NOT A CUT, it is getting an increase in funding, just not as much as they want. Try and keep up.

Since: Aug 10

Buffalo, NY

#6 Mar 10, 2013
Typical fox story, what a bunch of cowardly liars

It was a park ranger " who whisked not to be identified"? Lol pathetic.

You can't ID somebody who doesn't exist

The Left Coast

#7 Mar 10, 2013
Good point, it's not like it was the White House tours.

Buffalo, NY

#8 Mar 10, 2013
RustyS wrote:
Good point, it's not like it was the White House tours.
"Must.....post.....someth ing......come on brain, come on brain.....need something fast"

The Left Coast

#9 Mar 10, 2013
FFS- wrote:
<quoted text>"Must.....post... ..something......come on brain, come on brain.....need something fast"
Keep trying, you'll get it. Try your other hand.

Buffalo, NY

#10 Mar 10, 2013
RustyS wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep trying, you'll get it. Try your other hand.
ohhh, the "I know you are but what am I response"

You're a conservative genius huh?

Lol

The Left Coast

#11 Mar 11, 2013
Certainly can't argue with that kind of superior progressive logic. Anyway, good luck with that civilian trial of the terrorist muslim guy.

Buffalo, NY

#12 Mar 11, 2013
RustyS wrote:
Certainly can't argue with that kind of superior progressive logic. Anyway, good luck with that civilian trial of the terrorist muslim guy.
YOURE LOSING THE ARGUMENT...HURRY HURRY CHANGE THE TOPIC

Conservatives are simply pathetic!

The Left Coast

#13 Mar 11, 2013
Losing the argument? WTF are you talking about. Seeing how it's just the two of us, and a couple of posts, go back and read them. I will be glad to argue about how the federal agencies should make cuts. Letís start easy. As a progressive, do you think there is ANY wasted funds going to the federal government? If the answer is no, stop here and click delete. So, do you think it would better to have rangers on duty and keep the bathrooms and campgrounds at Yellowstone open or would you rather have another study on why bears prefer hot dogs over apples?

Buffalo, NY

#14 Mar 11, 2013
RustyS wrote:
Losing the argument? WTF are you talking about. Seeing how it's just the two of us, and a couple of posts, go back and read them. I will be glad to argue about how the federal agencies should make cuts. Letís start easy. As a progressive, do you think there is ANY wasted funds going to the federal government? If the answer is no, stop here and click delete. So, do you think it would better to have rangers on duty and keep the bathrooms and campgrounds at Yellowstone open or would you rather have another study on why bears prefer hot dogs over apples?
The whole story is just BS.

A park ranger who whiched not to be identified? Get real. The whole thing is just another OBVIOUS foxnews fabrication. It as so many holes in it, only Fox would be dim and desperate enough to run such drivel

The Left Coast

#15 Mar 11, 2013
So, you'd close the campgrounds and bathrooms. I would have thought it would be better to cut something far less important first.

Buffalo, NY

#16 Mar 11, 2013
RustyS wrote:
So, you'd close the campgrounds and bathrooms. I would have thought it would be better to cut something far less important first.
I agree with you, but you are missing two painfully obvious points:

1) This story is a complete fabrication

2) the Butcher block cuts are what conservatives want. We should be cutting sensibly, but conservatives will not allow it!

The Left Coast

#17 Mar 11, 2013
Now we're talkin. I dodn't miss the point, just thought it was irrelevant. Can you name ANY national news media that doesn't put its own spin on every single story. I know of NONE - liberal or conservative. They all want ratings - period.

We evidently agree, somewhat, that government has a spending problem. We're pushing $17TRILLION in debt. Nearly half of all our income goes to interest. I'd venture to say we both agree that is crazy. If times for you got really tough, could you cut 3% from your budget, somewhere. Would the first cut be food for your children?

Butcher block cuts is a MSNBC term. We're talking about 3.5% cuts of "discretionary' money only. You and I both know that the biggest lobbyists are contractors who want a piece of the federal pie. Google pork projects. Did we really need an $8.5million dollar golf course in LA? Or the John Murtha airport. I recently read where the Corps of Engineers spent nearly $1500 for every piping plover egg they tried to save. Nothing against plovers, but $1500 an egg. Why should we PAY utility companies to put up wind towers so they can collect the revenues.

What I'm saying is each agency gets to choose. Why would they choose to make cuts that hurt park users first and let so much unnecessary, unwarranted, unproductive costs stay. We have to start somewhere, letís get going and quit making it a campaign issue.

Buffalo, NY

#18 Mar 11, 2013
RustyS wrote:
Now we're talkin. I dodn't miss the point, just thought it was irrelevant. Can you name ANY national news media that doesn't put its own spin on every single story. I know of NONE - liberal or conservative. They all want ratings - period.
We evidently agree, somewhat, that government has a spending problem. We're pushing $17TRILLION in debt. Nearly half of all our income goes to interest. I'd venture to say we both agree that is crazy. If times for you got really tough, could you cut 3% from your budget, somewhere. Would the first cut be food for your children?
Butcher block cuts is a MSNBC term. We're talking about 3.5% cuts of "discretionary' money only. You and I both know that the biggest lobbyists are contractors who want a piece of the federal pie. Google pork projects. Did we really need an $8.5million dollar golf course in LA? Or the John Murtha airport. I recently read where the Corps of Engineers spent nearly $1500 for every piping plover egg they tried to save. Nothing against plovers, but $1500 an egg. Why should we PAY utility companies to put up wind towers so they can collect the revenues.
What I'm saying is each agency gets to choose. Why would they choose to make cuts that hurt park users first and let so much unnecessary, unwarranted, unproductive costs stay. We have to start somewhere, letís get going and quit making it a campaign issue.
LOL @ spin. MAKING UP A STORY IS NOT "PUTTING A SPIN ON IT". That is flat out telling a LIE. Do you think soem park ranger called fox news and said "hey, i'm a park ranger and i have a story for you?" Of course not

Actually, I disagree with you that Government spending is a problem, its just how we spend that needs to be revamped. Waste is waste, and the whole beauracracy needs to be realigned to eliminate outdated programs, while ending duplication of others.

However i will NEVER buy into the antispending myth conservatives tell. It simply doesnt make sense, and they never do it anyhow.

Cutting spending is the exact opposite of what the government should do during a recession. reagan pulled us out of a recession through increased government hiring and federal spending, and it worked. You cut during the good times, not the bad times....and save me the personal budget comparison, they are nothing remotely alike or connnected.

When has a conservative EVER cut spending? They dont! they just divert the money to their own causes.

So yes i agree we have a problem with wasteful spending, but not spending overall!

The Left Coast

#19 Mar 11, 2013
First, letís get something straight, I would consider myself more or a Libertarian than a Republican. Secondly, I agree with you. Our problems come from congress as a whole. Their political bickering and oneupsmanship do the country no good. I had high hopes Obama would be the one that brought the country together. In my opinion, he has done the exact opposite.

I'm all for tax reform. I don't think the corporate farmer, or bankers or anyone else should get by not paying their share, no more, no less. Nor do I think anyone should get back a bigger refund than they paid in.

I'm all for helping those that truly need it. But against those that just want a free ride because itís easier than working. We seem to reward that thinking today.

So, and interestingly enough, we agree that the place to start is wasteful spending. It's a start. Too bad you and I can't sit down with Obama, Reid and Boehner and tell them to quit the bullshit and get to work, itís not that hard.

Donít get wrong here, left wing liberal progressives are still fair game.

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#20 Mar 12, 2013
RustyS wrote:
Each agency gets to decide where to cut, well not actually cut, not grow as much. This is Obama and the federal employees telling us they won't cut fat or marginal programs first. Don't you wish you could do that. If your income dropped 2% you could quit paying your mortgage before you would cut out a vacation and the bank couldn't do a thing. This makes perfect progressive sense.
I wish we could cut the "Defense" budget in half. I wish dumbass righties realized the need to do that, as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Sequester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The sequester: The hammer Republicans hold (Oct '13) Oct '13 teddyr4me 61
News Republicans accuse Dems of moving goalposts as ... (Oct '13) Oct '13 fingiswold 26
News 57 Consequences of the Sequester (Mar '13) Oct '13 yeah 29
News Sequester's automatic cuts to hit military scho... (Mar '13) Oct '13 WasteWater 19
News Sequester Scare President Tells Veterans Cuts P... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Topazz 1
News Citing the sequester, cancer clinics reject Med... (Apr '13) May '13 pearlbeldry 6
News Pentagon officials consider trimming sequester ... (Apr '13) Apr '13 sequester jester 14
More from around the web