Pope takes anti-gay marriage stance to new level

Dec 21, 2012 Full story: The York Daily Record 32

The pope has taken his opposition to gay marriage to new heights with a strong denunciation of how people today are manipulating their sex and gender to alter their God-given nature.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 07

United States

#1 Dec 21, 2012
So, we, as humans, cannot "alter a God-given trait"?

All children who are born with any congenital defects must be forced to retain them, even if they lead to death?

How about altering one's looks?

Coloring one's hair is a sin? A face lift bars one from heaven?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2 Dec 21, 2012
Quest wrote:
All children who are born with any congenital defects must be forced to retain them, even if they lead to death?
That is PRECISELY what the RCC used to teach.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#3 Dec 21, 2012
Quest wrote:
Many of those old farts in the RCC (not to mention the fundie churches) could do with a little cosmetic surgery. As well as an attitude adjustment.

Since: May 12

Livonia, MI

#4 Dec 21, 2012
His god gave me nothing. I got all my ugly from my daddy!
disgusted american

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Dec 21, 2012
I got my stuff from my folks when they had intercourse....some fairy in the sky didnt give me jack-schit
Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Dec 21, 2012
If you talk to anyone that is transgender, there god given gender doesn't match the body they are in and they knew it from a very young age.

For those who don't know, there is a difference between being a cross dresser or even a drag queen and someone who is transgendered. A cross dresser is someone who likes to wear clothes that society chooses for the opposite gender and for some it can be pretty compelling. Someone who is transgendered truly feels out of place in their own body, most have known since they were a child.

It may even happen during the pregnancy as all human fetuses start off growing basically as female at some point for males testosterone clicks in and they begin to change in the womb. Some theorize that women live longer in part because they don't have to deal with that testosterone infusion for all of their lives.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#7 Dec 21, 2012
'In his remarks, Benedict quoted the chief rabbi of France, Gilles Bernheim, in saying the campaign for granting gays the right to marry and adopt children was an "attack" on the traditional family made up of a father, mother and children.

"People dispute the idea that they have a nature, given to them by their bodily identity, that serves as a defining element of the human being," he said. "They deny their nature and decide that it is not something previously given to them, but that they make it for themselves."

"The manipulation of nature, which we deplore today where our environment is concerned, now becomes man's fundamental choice where he himself is concerned," he said.'

Well, that's novel - a Nazi quoting a rabbi.

A full load of crap from both Catholics and Jews.

Too bad the Nazi wasn't bombed and rabbi's parents didn't go to the ovens before he was born. The world of rationality would have been better without both of them.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#8 Dec 21, 2012
But doesn't the RCC demand that gays and lesbians go against / subvert their god-given sexuality?

Afterall, doesn't he claim that being gay is not a sin, just acting on ones true sexuality as a gay man or lesbian.
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

#9 Dec 21, 2012
Quest wrote:
The nanosecond the "pope" speaks, I bat his words out of the way with zero regard, and continue on with my life.

That this "world leader" could have such a *zero level* of compassion for gay people makes the mind reel, and relegates his word for me, personally, to the garbage dump. Period. The end.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#10 Dec 21, 2012
We've been seeing a lot of the Poop's, oh, sorry, the POPE'S scary shark face lately as he clumsily has been poking his bony old fingers onto a tablet enjoying Twitter. Like HE is sitting home in his luxurious Vatican digs pounding out messages all day! I'm sure if anything is being pounded it is his vile old bowels, as he tries to grind out a movement once in a while.

No one with that much of a screwed up face can be having normal movements. He constantly looks as if he is pain. Both spiritual and anal.

At least the last pope looked sort of sweet natured, this one looks like the mean old man on the corner who screams at kids for stepping on his lawn and keeps his lights off on Halloween to avoid any trick or treaters. The mean guy on our street left his sprinklers on for like 4 hours on Halloween to keep kids away from his door.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#11 Dec 21, 2012
Yet another reason not to want to be Catholic when I grow up, thanks Benny. Maybe he is the prophesied next to last Pope after all, he sure is setting up his successor for high holy heck.
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

#12 Dec 21, 2012
Curteese wrote:
We've been seeing a lot of the Poop's, oh, sorry, the POPE'S scary shark face lately as he clumsily has been poking his bony old fingers onto a tablet enjoying Twitter. Like HE is sitting home in his luxurious Vatican digs pounding out messages all day! I'm sure if anything is being pounded it is his vile old bowels, as he tries to grind out a movement once in a while.
No one with that much of a screwed up face can be having normal movements. He constantly looks as if he is pain. Both spiritual and anal.
At least the last pope looked sort of sweet natured, this one looks like the mean old man on the corner who screams at kids for stepping on his lawn and keeps his lights off on Halloween to avoid any trick or treaters. The mean guy on our street left his sprinklers on for like 4 hours on Halloween to keep kids away from his door.
Is it not frightening that the message of *his own so-called religion* dictates CLEARLY that he should be living a modest, humble life and that he and his minions absolutely! cannot! resist! the wealth and the near-worshipful attitude from which he benefits? Boggles my mind beyond comprehension. The message of his own messiah is *SO CLEAR* and they just. can't. do it. They cannot *resist* the wealth and they cannot *resist* placing him on a pedestal. Holy moly, I'd loooooove to hear their hilarious "explanation" as to how this does not target him for hell or at LEAST a talking-to from god the moment he shuffles off this mortal coil. It's amazing, amazing how they dream up these convoluted, contrived, manipulative, see-through "exceptions" to the *CLEAR* words of the very bible they *SCREAM* about all day long -- and then, in 100.0% of the cases I have witnessed,*WEASEL OUT OF* any application of the words to themselves or their own behavior. Every time, every time they weasel out of it, as if they're "untouchable" but everyone else is a "sinner." They're full of what's known as:

rotting

shit.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#13 Dec 21, 2012
Curteese wrote:
I really don't think of JP II as evil, just somewhat misguided. Not only on gays but even on theological stuff. Remember he wanted all prayers to go to the Big Jewish Mama in the Sky ("oy vey! as if I am not busy enough - what is this poylishe meshugge doing to me") and not to the Three Headed God. This would have certainly led to a further attack on the alleged monotheism of the Catholic religion by other Xtians. I think he was mostly just a backwards person from a backwards country.

This one, however, has no such excuse. I don't even think any of his flock really like him, even the ones that agree with his pronouncements.
faithman

United States

#14 Dec 21, 2012
hi hi wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it not frightening that the message of *his own so-called religion* dictates CLEARLY that he should be living a modest, humble life and that he and his minions absolutely! cannot! resist! the wealth and the near-worshipful attitude from which he benefits? Boggles my mind beyond comprehension. The message of his own messiah is *SO CLEAR* and they just. can't. do it. They cannot *resist* the wealth and they cannot *resist* placing him on a pedestal. Holy moly, I'd loooooove to hear their hilarious "explanation" as to how this does not target him for hell or at LEAST a talking-to from god the moment he shuffles off this mortal coil. It's amazing, amazing how they dream up these convoluted, contrived, manipulative, see-through "exceptions" to the *CLEAR* words of the very bible they *SCREAM* about all day long -- and then, in 100.0% of the cases I have witnessed,*WEASEL OUT OF* any application of the words to themselves or their own behavior. Every time, every time they weasel out of it, as if they're "untouchable" but everyone else is a "sinner." They're full of what's known as:
rotting
shit.
Agreed!! you've nailed it. It's religious hypocrisy & it's the worse kind of hypocrisy of all. I MARVEL THAT THEY THINK THAT THEY HAVE A COMPELLING MESSAGE TO SHARE. Doesn't sound like Christ's gospel at all. I think for the pope & the hierarchy of the RCC it's really about power & control.(I could say the same for the fundies but you have to add in high amounts of self-righteousness with them!)

Location hidden

#15 Dec 21, 2012
Rick in Kansas wrote:
Yet another reason not to want to be Catholic when I grow up, thanks Benny. Maybe he is the prophesied next to last Pope after all, he sure is setting up his successor for high holy heck.
21 more to go.
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

#16 Dec 22, 2012
faithman wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed!! you've nailed it. It's religious hypocrisy & it's the worse kind of hypocrisy of all. I MARVEL THAT THEY THINK THAT THEY HAVE A COMPELLING MESSAGE TO SHARE. Doesn't sound like Christ's gospel at all. I think for the pope & the hierarchy of the RCC it's really about power & control.(I could say the same for the fundies but you have to add in high amounts of self-righteousness with them!)
Agreed 100%, and thank you.

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#17 Dec 22, 2012
DaveinMass wrote:
But doesn't the RCC demand that gays and lesbians go against / subvert their god-given sexuality?
Afterall, doesn't he claim that being gay is not a sin, just acting on ones true sexuality as a gay man or lesbian.
The Roman catholic church's official position on homosexuality:

"Although the particular inclination of the homosexual person is not a sin, it is a more or less strong tendency ordered toward an intrinsic moral evil; and thus the inclination itself must be seen as an objective disorder."
http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregatio...

In the twisted world of catholic superstition, gay and lesbian people may have been created by their mythical god with a "tendency" or an "inclination" towards homosexual behavior, but they should

"...enact the will of God in their life by joining whatever sufferings and difficulties they experience in virtue of their condition to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross."

Their god made gay people that way. Life's a bitch. Too bad. Live with it, but don't have sex. That's what their god intends. It creates beings with a tendency to love and be intimate with one another, but condemns them for doing so.

That's their perverted mythology.

Location hidden

#18 Dec 22, 2012
You've only scratched the surface, me boyo.
ChasUGC

Norwalk, CA

#19 Dec 22, 2012
faithman wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a difference between Catholicism and Christianity. Catholics turn to the pope for absolution. Christians turn to Jesus Christ. Catholicism is a hypocrisy. You can't turn to a man when there is not a good one among us.

But, they do have a point, when basing such an opinion about gay relationships on the bible.

Remember, the bible does call homosexuality an abomination before God.
If you accept the bible as our supreme guidance on moral values.

I do.

I pray for Catholics and Homosexuals.

I believe Catholicism is using the bible for its own greedy and self-righteous means.

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#20 Dec 22, 2012
ChasUGC wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a difference between Catholicism and Christianity. Catholics turn to the pope for absolution. Christians turn to Jesus Christ. Catholicism is a hypocrisy. You can't turn to a man when there is not a good one among us.
But, they do have a point, when basing such an opinion about gay relationships on the bible.
Remember, the bible does call homosexuality an abomination before God.
If you accept the bible as our supreme guidance on moral values.
I do.
I pray for Catholics and Homosexuals.
I believe Catholicism is using the bible for its own greedy and self-righteous means.
I was born into, baptized, confirmed, and educated in the catholic faith.

After years of study and indoctrination, when it became apparent that the church didn't make sense any more, that its doctrines and beliefs were unsupportable, I left.

When it became clear that all religions that claimed supernatural beliefs were similarly unsupportable, I rejected all religious claims based on faith.

I feel so much better embracing reality. I don't have to belief silly notions about human beings that were created thousands of years ago by ignorant people living in the bronze age to explain a world that they didn't understand.

You're welcome to join us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pope prays with thousands for kidnap victims in... Sun Tim 1
Pope's initiative sees homeless flock to Vatican Feb 16 Kar 1
Pope Denounces Slaying of Egyptian Copts by Isl... Feb 16 Piotr 1
Pope Francis alters Philippines visit because o... Feb 7 cute 3
Vatican and pope address Christian-Muslim tensi... (Jun '10) Feb 5 Dervis Eroglu 28
Pope: Catholics don't have to breed 'like rabbits' Feb 1 QUITTNER Feb 1 2015 32
Pope Francis travels to war-torn Sri Lanka, urg... Jan '15 Tamule retard 5
More from around the web