Pope In UK Urges Tolerance, Warns Against Atheism

Pope Benedict started a trip to Britain Thursday urging the country to protect its Christian roots and tradition of tolerance in the face of threats from aggressive secularism and atheist extremism. Full Story
First Prev
of 47
Next Last
scout

Albany, CA

#1 Sep 16, 2010
translation: the head Christian hypocrite takes a stand agains fellow heathens.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#2 Sep 16, 2010
The items of concern so cited by the Pope are universal...globally.

Should he visit Queen Mary of Scots gravesite for beautification then the true intent of his visit will be obvious. Are there any Stewarts attending and well wishing the Pontification?
Cindy Lou

Rising Sun, MD

#3 Sep 16, 2010
Atheism is myth understood.

And it cuts into the Pope's profits.

Aren't we past myth and superstition?

Since: Sep 10

Hamburg, NJ

#4 Sep 16, 2010
I do think the pope's admission and apology in his U.K. speech regarding the sex scandals was quite forthright of him.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#5 Sep 16, 2010
ummm..I thought he was going to resign over those scandals.

Who Infiltrated America (The Recruitment)

(and no...this is not about many wonderful Catholic peoples....rather an old decadent religion imported into America)
Dave

Miami, FL

#6 Sep 16, 2010
Not too long ago, this man would have issued a bull declaring all atheists to be tortured to confess their sins prior to being burned alive.
All of those who practise Catholicism should be ashamed to have any connection with this hideous organization.
What an incredible racket they run!

“Evolve”

Since: Dec 07

GJ, CO

#7 Sep 16, 2010
Cindy Lou wrote:
Unfortunately, we are far, very far from being past myth and superstition.

I suppose the Poop's concerns could be viewed as evidence that we, in the west, anyway, are working towards achieving societies free from myth and superstition....?

However, until religions/religious institutions are taxed just like any other enterprise, AND clergy are not given ANY more privilege, prestige and respect than the public and the law extend to a butcher, baker or candlestick maker, achieving totally secular societies is still a hard work-in-progress.
Dave

Miami, FL

#8 Sep 16, 2010
Cindy Lou wrote:
As long as we have gullible dummies that believe in fairy tales & as long as myths and superstition generate money, obediance & small children to molest, I'm afraid that it is here to stay.
mike duquette

United States

#9 Sep 16, 2010
Roots of tolerance? Christian? What country is he talking about? Maybe he has not looked very far back in the UK's history books. Maybe the books he looked at were from his Nazi youth camps.
Dave

Miami, FL

#10 Sep 16, 2010
SherylReally wrote:
I do think the pope's admission and apology in his U.K. speech regarding the sex scandals was quite forthright of him.
The pope deserves no credit, only scorn.
He refused to admit his involvement in shuttling around priests that were acused of pedophilia, he just gave an obligatory apology.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#11 Sep 16, 2010
“If the man doesn't believe as we do, we say he is a crank, and that settles it. I mean, it does nowadays, because now we can't burn him.” ~ Mark Twain
British Expat

Guadeloupe

#12 Sep 16, 2010
Well said Dave. 100% agree. The sooner the human animal wakes up and sees how he is being shafted by this religous nonsense, the better.

“Evolve”

GJ, CO

#13 Sep 16, 2010
SherylReally wrote:
He and the RCC, the Jehovah's Witnesses, FDLS, LDS, Southern Baptists, and EVERY OTHER CULT and/or religion were FORCED into every single acknowledgment of clerical sexual abuse, FORCED to reveal the cover-ups that were perpetrated to EVADE justice, and FORCED to pay compensation, and FORCED to submit to laws and protocols that require reporting of sexual misconduct by clergy. AND, it should be remembered that the RCC, along with all other faiths have fought desperately against justice since and LONG BEFORE the pedophile priest scandal became common knowledge.

That speech should be taken in the full context of the pedophile priest scandal. I simply cannot imagine actually praising the Poop for finally, FINALLY submitting to what had to be forced upon him and the RCC. Ridiculous.

“Evolve”

GJ, CO

#14 Sep 16, 2010
mike duquette wrote:
Roots of tolerance? Christian? What country is he talking about? Maybe he has not looked very far back in the UK's history books. Maybe the books he looked at were from his Nazi youth camps.
Really.

Who knows...perhaps Xtianity WAS "peaceful and tolerant" until the RCC cornered the market on myth and superstition.

"Political Xtianity" is still an atavistic forced to be reckoned with. "Political Islam" hasn't even attempted a reformation, for which it is long, LONG overdue.

There is NO faith that is not infested with sexually abusive clergy or "elders", or what-have-you. Pious people give unconditional respect and trust to their clergy, which is why sexually predatory and financially exploitative individuals are drawn to the clergy.

“Evolve”

GJ, CO

#15 Sep 16, 2010
StellarKnight wrote:
ummm..I thought he was going to resign over those scandals.
Who Infiltrated America (The Recruitment)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =QZo-_rdn4tsXX
(and no...this is not about many wonderful Catholic peoples....rather an old decadent religion imported into America)
The RCC's "pedophile priest scandal" was the very big tip of a very ugly iceberg. Clerical sexual abuse is not just common to all religions, but RAMPANT.

In non-celibate clergy the victims of sexual abuse are primarily girls, just as with the general population. The celibate clergy of the RCC attracted a disproportion of homosexual pedophiles instead of heterosexual pedophiles, since gay men are not inclined towards marriage to a woman.

Of any number of homosexuals, just as heterosexuals, there will be a subset of pedophiles. The RCC violated more boy victims than girls, but in ALL other religions, cults, etc, sexual abuse is at least as common as financial exploitation.
SupaAFC

Aberdeen, UK

#16 Sep 16, 2010
The most galling thing about his visit is that it is costing the tax payers at least £12 million - the majority of which have absolutely nothing to do with the pope or his church.

Complete and utter waste of time and money. He has no political power and nothing new to add to any debate - his arguments amount to "X is wrong because the bible says so". And he says secularism is aggressive?! Hello? Our problems are jobs and the economy! It has jack squat to do with religion because, it is, irrelevent.

I suppose the government and media can quit reporting on job losses, economy standards and teaching staff. To hell with that when we should talk about the bible.

“Ask God for his ID card.”

Since: Sep 10

Secular Reality

#17 Sep 16, 2010
<From Article>
"Today, the United Kingdom strives to be a modern and multicultural society. In this challenging enterprise, may it always maintain its respect for those traditional values and cultural expressions that more aggressive forms of secularism no longer value or even tolerate," he said.
Um, no, secularists tolerate the practice of traditional values. What they don't tolerate is the forcing of such values upon others in a supposedly free nation. If the Pope means what he says I'm sure he's not planning on turning the UK into a theocratic Catholic state.
British Expat

Guadeloupe

#18 Sep 16, 2010
SupaAFC wrote:
The most galling thing about his visit is that it is costing the tax payers at least £12 million - the majority of which have absolutely nothing to do with the pope or his church.
Complete and utter waste of time and money. He has no political power and nothing new to add to any debate - his arguments amount to "X is wrong because the bible says so". And he says secularism is aggressive?! Hello? Our problems are jobs and the economy! It has jack squat to do with religion because, it is, irrelevent.
I suppose the government and media can quit reporting on job losses, economy standards and teaching staff. To hell with that when we should talk about the bible.
The most galling thing about the visit is, THE VISIT.

He offers nothing other than the same old burn dis-believers nonsense which is a mainstay of his "faith". Read the history of the Cathars in Southern France to understand his religion. BLOODY RELIGION. Perhaps he should reminisce his activities as a Nazi youth.

“Evolve”

GJ, CO

#19 Sep 16, 2010
Am I the only one who sees the very title of the article as a contradiction-in-terms?

('Didn't think so.)

The Poop is clueless. Absolutely beyond clueless.
yoghurt

UK

#20 Sep 16, 2010
Why does he prefer to eat alone? Does he wolf down his pizza as if it were an eating competition and get his frock all yukky?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 47
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pope Aims At Revival of Holy Roman Empire Aug 23 Patriot 1
Pope kicks off Asia missionary boost in SKorea Aug '14 SpaceBlues 2
Pope Runs Late, Asks to Skip Prayers _ or Else Aug '14 SpaceBlues 1
If Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin dona t like th... (Nov '13) Jul '14 Finish this sentence 894
Pope calls for Middle East cease-fire Jul '14 Zioni 5
Pope Francis apologizes to abuse victims Jul '14 P_Smith 1
Pope travels to mafia stronghold Jun '14 QUITTNER on June ... 3
•••

People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••