Video: Pope John Paul II beatified

Video: Pope John Paul II beatified

There are 13 comments on the CBS News story from May 1, 2011, titled Video: Pope John Paul II beatified. In it, CBS News reports that:

An estimated 1.5 million people gathered to see Pope John Paul II beatified, bringing him one step closer to sainthood.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS News.

fedupwiththemess

Woodbridge, VA

#1 May 1, 2011
He still has sin. He is not a god.
Nobody cares

Downingtown, PA

#2 May 1, 2011
Who cares?
Wake up

Hauula, HI

#3 May 1, 2011
That he can't have any sin... where does that come into the picture? You need to brush up on what 'sainthood' is about.
Deng

Zhenjiang, China

#4 May 1, 2011
SO WHAT HAPPEN TO POPE JOHN PAUL-1?

ANSWER: MURDERED WITH POISON BY THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT 'CAUSE HE WAS NOT "ANTI-COMMUNIST" ENOUGH.

Since: Jun 09

Los Angeles, CA

#5 May 1, 2011
Deng wrote:
SO WHAT HAPPEN TO POPE JOHN PAUL-1? ANSWER: MURDERED WITH POISON BY THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT 'CAUSE HE WAS NOT "ANTI-COMMUNIST" ENOUGH.
Allegedly, John Paul I wanted to clean up the Vatican Bank and was poisoned for that. Also, so the theory goes, that's why they picked John Paul II -- he was an honest man, but being a non-Italian, he didn't know enough about the inner workings of the bank to clean out the corruption. That's the theory that the GodFather, Part III is based upon -- I'm not claiming that it's true, but it's more interesting than your run-of-the-mill theories about birth certificates, moon landings, shadow people, etc.

Since: Jun 09

Los Angeles, CA

#6 May 1, 2011
fedupwiththemess wrote:
He still has sin. He is not a god.
I'm Jewish, and even I know that beatification doesn't mean that honoree is sinless or is a god. If it did, they would call it impeccabilitification or deification -- assuming such words exist. John Paul II stood up to both Communisim and Fascism, and he held his fellow Polish clergy accountable for much of their anti-semitism. Could he have done more -- especially regarding clerical child abuse? Absolutely! And it is Catholic's own business if they want to beatify him. But in my study of history, I would say that the Roman Catholic Church could do a lot worse whendeciding whom to honor.
Wake up

Hauula, HI

#7 May 1, 2011
Deng wrote:
SO WHAT HAPPEN TO POPE JOHN PAUL-1?
ANSWER: MURDERED WITH POISON BY THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT 'CAUSE HE WAS NOT "ANTI-COMMUNIST" ENOUGH.
Just as easy to think that it was Chairman Mao 'cause he was not "PRO-communist" enough.
fedupwiththemess

Woodbridge, VA

#9 May 2, 2011
Card Carrying Zionist wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm Jewish, and even I know that beatification doesn't mean that honoree is sinless or is a god. If it did, they would call it impeccabilitification or deification -- assuming such words exist. John Paul II stood up to both Communisim and Fascism, and he held his fellow Polish clergy accountable for much of their anti-semitism. Could he have done more -- especially regarding clerical child abuse? Absolutely! And it is Catholic's own business if they want to beatify him. But in my study of history, I would say that the Roman Catholic Church could do a lot worse whendeciding whom to honor.
They need to honor and praise the LORD and not any man.
Obi Won

Malta, IL

#10 May 3, 2011
Card Carrying Zionist wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely. In the Catholic tradition saints are not worshiped or adored. There are some popular pieties that I am uncomfortable with, but ut gives some people a sense of solace and well being. John Paul II is one of countless peoples who did some great things by living out a faith in public. For catholics these become models of how we ought to be living our lives. The saints present a challenge in our church. And certainly no one has ever proclaimed them to be without sin or little gods or something. I think that non-catholics make a bigger deal over saints than catholics do.
fedupwiththemess

Woodbridge, VA

#11 May 3, 2011
Obi Won wrote:
<quoted text>Absolutely. In the Catholic tradition saints are not worshiped or adored. There are some popular pieties that I am uncomfortable with, but ut gives some people a sense of solace and well being. John Paul II is one of countless peoples who did some great things by living out a faith in public. For catholics these become models of how we ought to be living our lives. The saints present a challenge in our church. And certainly no one has ever proclaimed them to be without sin or little gods or something. I think that non-catholics make a bigger deal over saints than catholics do.
Yeah cause catholics worship saints..dead and alive.

“I hate watermelon!”

Since: Dec 10

Stroudsburg, PA

#12 May 3, 2011
fedupwiththemess wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah cause catholics worship saints..dead and alive.
They get quite ridiculous - there's a saint you pray to if you lose your keys.
fedupwiththemess

Woodbridge, VA

#13 May 3, 2011
Sheryl 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
They get quite ridiculous - there's a saint you pray to if you lose your keys.
No I don't either.
deanoff

Gloucester, UK

#14 May 3, 2011
Mumbo-jumbo,ridiculous in the extreme.Juju men in dresses and silly hats trying to convince the credulous that they are doing something of worth.
People must have shit for brains if they can't see through this "holy" charade.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... (Apr '15) Mar '17 whirlingmerc 9
News Monday's TV Highlights: 'The Young Pope' on HBO (Feb '17) Feb '17 limuel 11
News Pope Francis (Feb '17) Feb '17 USA-1 2
News Pope Francis takes over Knights of Malta after ... (Jan '17) Jan '17 Sperm 1
News Preview: The Pope's Choir (Dec '16) Dec '16 KenJr26 1
News Pope Francis celebrates 80th birthday with the ... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Butlerrr 1
News Pope Francis: Apologize to gay people and others (Jun '16) Dec '16 Anonymous 5
More from around the web