Industry, government spend little on ...

Industry, government spend little on oil spill cleanup technology

There are 57 comments on the KHWB-TV Houston story from Jun 26, 2010, titled Industry, government spend little on oil spill cleanup technology. In it, KHWB-TV Houston reports that:

While oil companies have spent billions of dollars to drill deeper and farther out to sea, relatively little money and research have gone into finding new, improved ways to respond to oil spills in deepsea conditions like those in the Gulf of Mexico.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KHWB-TV Houston.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Ross

Ocala, FL

#54 Jun 27, 2010
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text> But not all of the crew works seven days on and seven days off. Halliburtonís cement crew are only onboard while the cementing is taking place, then they move to another rig. The same people are being counted as part of the total crew on each rig. There are also company inspectors and engineers who move from rig to rig sometimes on a daily basis. While on board a rig they are considered part of that rigs crew and are counted as part of the total crew a rig has. If they visit five rigs in a week they are counted as part of the total crew on each of those 5 rigs. The only thing that is being proven is that oil companies can blow up a rig, create the worst environmental disaster in American history, put many tens of thousands of people out of work, risk the health of tens of thousands more people and the Republicans will still defend the oil companies and let them do anything they want. PS. That Judge it turns out has investments in a number of the deep water drilling rigs being effected by the moratorium. I hope he gets thrown off the bench.
I'm not going to get in the weeds on head count. The LSU professor has a better handle on the numbers than either you or I do.

Since: May 08

Deltona Fla

#55 Jun 27, 2010
Festus wrote:
This is only one spill and theys are thousands of drill rigs in the ocean. So if this to stop drilling for one accident then close the drug companies for one person died on drugs, close down rail roads for there accidents, no more driving cars for accidents, no more doctors for operation mistakes, close hospitals for there accidents, and etc.
If you found out there was a problem with the breaks or the accelerator of one type of car, would you ban all cars. You would just recall the one type of car there is a problem with, wouldn't you?(answer) not if you are a Republican. If you were a Republicans you would defend the company that produced those faulty cars.

Deltona Fla

#56 Jun 27, 2010
Ross wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not going to get in the weeds on head count. The LSU professor has a better handle on the numbers than either you or I do.
Yes a LSU professor who was hired by "Louisiana Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association" to write a report that supported their oil exploration efforts.

Deltona Fla

#57 Jun 27, 2010
Ross wrote:
<quoted text>
In the mid 80's I was involved in a suite against the Army Corp of Engineers over a floodplain isssue. We were building two 60,000 sq ft buildings. The Corp of Engineers was refusing to issue a permit because about 1/4 acre of the 20 acre property was below a recently elevated floodplain. After trucking 60 truck loads of dirt a day off the proberty for almost two weeks to level the property, the corp was demanding we bring in dirt from another floodplain area to raise that 1/4 acre below flood plain the 6 inches it was needed to bring to above flood plain. The town we were in joined in the suite against the Corp. We hired a professor from Rutgers to write a report explaining the bennifts bringing in industries have for a small town. About four years later the town elected an anti-development Mayor. Another developer was trying to build one 30,000 sq ft building just down the street from our project. The new mayor hired the same professor to write a report explaining the undesirable impact industrial developement has on a small town.

Deltona Fla

#59 Jun 27, 2010
Ross wrote:
<quoted text>
Did that same professor also help write the report that explained how oil drilling would have no impact on the walruses in the Gulf. Well I guess he was right. Not one walrus has been effected by the one spill in the Gulf.
Ross

Ocala, FL

#60 Jun 27, 2010
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>Did that same professor also help write the report that explained how oil drilling would have no impact on the walruses in the Gulf. Well I guess he was right. Not one walrus has been effected by the one spill in the Gulf.
One unethical authority doesn't make all of them corrupt.

If you look at the negative impact not just on Louisiana but on hotels, restaurants, and thousands of small businesses in bordering states, the impact will be staggering.

I agree completely with Judge Feldman's ruling against odummy's moratorium. This economy is in bad enough shape without losing $6 billion in tax revenue.

Deltona Fla

#61 Jun 27, 2010
Ross wrote:
<quoted text>
If you look at the negative impact not just on Louisiana but on hotels, restaurants, and thousands of small businesses in bordering states, the impact will be staggering.
I agree completely with Judge Feldman's ruling against odummy's moratorium. This economy is in bad enough shape without losing $6 billion in tax revenue.
The economic impact of shutting down 32 rigs for 60 days is nothing compared to what just happened. Anybody who is laid off is suppose to be reimbursed out of the 20 billion BP put up anyway. The only ones who may lose money are the investors who have been reaping the rewards of these unsafe operations. Those people of course include the judge who just made that ruling who has been invested in several deep water rigs for some time now. This is just more spin being thrown at us by the Republicans for their corporate masters.

Deltona Fla

#62 Jun 27, 2010
Ross wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really think that stopping the moratorium on those 32 drilling rigs is going to turn around what is happening to the hotels, restaurants, and thousands of small businesses in Louisiana's and it's bordering states? Or are you trying to include all that economic damage as part of shutting down those rigs also.

“Angry Antlers ”

Since: Sep 08

Miami

#63 Jun 27, 2010
Junky wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember that the oil company gets it's workers and supplies from land.
Revenue from the sales to oil workers and the oil company and the income taxes from the workers, pretty sure that affects the state.
33 exploratory wells which are affected by the moratorium don't amount to even a dent in any of the gulf state's economies. These are not even fully staffed, since they are exploratory ONLY.

How many were on the Deep Water Horizon? 11 were killed, a handful of others survived.

The operating 3400 wells are what contributes to the economy of the region, not the paltry few exploratory wells.

“Angry Antlers ”

Miami

#64 Jun 27, 2010
Festus wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes each and every one has there own little slant and theys have same news and do not make them correct. You must learn to evaluate the news you hear and find the real truth. FOX is no different from any of the other news outlets. Theys is all crap and slanted.
Not true. Keep swillin' the fascist flavored KoolAid if it gives you comfort, FOX is all lies, and has been discredited as a news source, period.
A Nnoyed

Levittown, NY

#65 Jun 27, 2010
Caribou Barbie wrote:
<quoted text>
FOX is all lies, and has been discredited as a news source, period.
I wish that were true but it isn't.

They claim Pelosi is an elected official. If your comment was accurate we'd actually have a chance as a nation.

“Angry Antlers ”

Miami

#66 Jun 27, 2010
A Nnoyed wrote:
<quoted text>
They claim Pelosi is an elected official. If your comment was accurate we'd actually have a chance as a nation.
It is true, just look to any fact checking organization, and putting aside the opinion shows and hyperbole, the "news" division constantly makes mistakes and misrepresentations, and of course slants it with fascist dogma taken out of John Birch Society newsletters.

It's a laughable joke, and has absolutely ZERO journalistic integrity. Tabloid propaganda from the fascist right.

Deltona Fla

#67 Jun 27, 2010
A Nnoyed wrote:
<quoted text>
The Tea Party motto must be "discussing issues is not nearly as much fun as hating people."

Deltona Fla

#68 Jun 27, 2010
A Nnoyed wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you call a Republican who is out of office.----- A Fox News contributing editor.

“Angry Antlers ”

Miami

#69 Jun 27, 2010
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>The Tea Party motto must be "discussing issues is not nearly as much fun as hating people."
Or as the old saying goes, "great minds discuss ideas, mediocre minds discuss events, Teagagger minds discuss people."

Deltona Fla

#72 Jun 29, 2010
Caribou Barbie wrote:
<quoted text>
Or as the old saying goes, "great minds discuss ideas, mediocre minds discuss events, Teagagger minds discuss people."
CORRECTION. Teagagger minds disgust people

“Angry Antlers ”

Miami

#73 Jul 2, 2010
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>CORRECTION. Teagagger minds disgust people
LOL!!

You're right.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Oil Spill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Massive 2013 Oil Spill in North Dakota Still No... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Grrr 1
News Ex-BP engineer arrested in Gulf oil spill case (Apr '12) Jul '15 Make farts 4
News Yellowstone River oil spill: Fresh water is tak... (Jan '15) Jan '15 public at risk 2
News Oil Spill Contaminates Montana Town's Water, EP... (Jan '15) Jan '15 discuss locally 1
News How the Ebola crisis is like the BP oil spill (Oct '14) Oct '14 Jeff Brightone 1
Texas Oil Spill (Mar '14) Mar '14 Roblogger 1
News Crews clean up Texas oil spill, dozens ships st... (Mar '14) Mar '14 imagine a world 1
More from around the web