Industry, government spend little on oil spill cleanup technology

Jun 26, 2010 Read more: KHWB-TV Houston 57

While oil companies have spent billions of dollars to drill deeper and farther out to sea, relatively little money and research have gone into finding new, improved ways to respond to oil spills in deepsea conditions like those in the Gulf of Mexico.

Read more
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#1 Jun 26, 2010
WE demanded cheap energy and we placed little importance on environment. We got what we asked for.

Now, will we demand a clean environment at any cost? Or will we continue to whine and cry for cheap gas for the Hummer and Escalade so they can pull the twin engine ski boat to the water, and pull the 40 ft house trailer camping?

We are toast.
sue

United States

#2 Jun 26, 2010
Coolmind wrote:
WE demanded cheap energy and we placed little importance on environment. We got what we asked for.
Now, will we demand a clean environment at any cost? Or will we continue to whine and cry for cheap gas for the Hummer and Escalade so they can pull the twin engine ski boat to the water, and pull the 40 ft house trailer camping?
We are toast.
We will not have a so called clean enviroment at any cost.Com pared to the sixties and aeventies our environment is much cleaner. I want cheap energy for my big truck and all the rest of my toys.
Robert

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Jun 26, 2010
Here is another serious matter that has not received much media attention;

May God bless and have mercy on us.
enough

Maxton, NC

#4 Jun 26, 2010
Robert wrote:
Here is another serious matter that has not received much media attention;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =JznYKx8N54sXX
May God bless and have mercy on us.
nobody cares robert.
Festus

Broken Arrow, OK

#5 Jun 26, 2010
This is only one spill and theys are thousands of drill rigs in the ocean. So if this to stop drilling for one accident then close the drug companies for one person died on drugs, close down rail roads for there accidents, no more driving cars for accidents, no more doctors for operation mistakes, close hospitals for there accidents, and etc.
Lance Winslow

United States

#7 Jun 26, 2010
Festus wrote:
This is only one spill and theys are thousands of drill rigs in the ocean. So if this to stop drilling for one accident then close the drug companies for one person died on drugs, close down rail roads for there accidents, no more driving cars for accidents, no more doctors for operation mistakes, close hospitals for there accidents, and etc.
Only one little spill...yup, and the World Trade Center thingy was only one little mishap.

“President DOWNGRADE..Ha Ha Ha!”

Since: Sep 09

Winter Garden, FL

#8 Jun 26, 2010
Didn't Barack Obama's Energy Czar Chu claim that he & BP were going to "Save the World" after BP gave him Millions in Environmental research grants?

Winter Garden, FL

#9 Jun 26, 2010
Why spend when Barack Obama said "Offshore Oil Drilling is Safe?"
Festus

Broken Arrow, OK

#10 Jun 26, 2010
Lance Winslow wrote:
<quoted text>Only one little spill...yup, and the World Trade Center thingy was only one little mishap.
So you relate a terrorists act to a oil spill? You must think this oil spill was done by terrorists?
Lance Winslow

United States

#11 Jun 26, 2010
Festus wrote:
<quoted text>
So you relate a terrorists act to a oil spill? You must think this oil spill was done by terrorists?
No, but I think you need to do a little rehabilitation of your logic.
Festus

Broken Arrow, OK

#12 Jun 26, 2010
Lance Winslow wrote:
<quoted text>No, but I think you need to do a little rehabilitation of your logic.
You be theys one that needin rehab of your logic.

Winter Garden, FL

#13 Jun 26, 2010
Obama's Chu in '07: BP "Will Help Us Save the World"

June 22, 2010

ABC News' Jonathan Karl reports: Back in 2007, when Steven Chu had words of extremely high praise for BP. Chu, then the director of the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab and a professor at UC Berkeley, praised BP for making a $500 million investment in the Energy Biosciences Institute at UC-Berkeley.

Here’s how Chu put it, in an on-camera interview at the institute:

“Now, with partnering with BP, we will have the resources to actually carry out some of the things we want to do to in order to help save the world.”

http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2010/06/chu-...

Winter Garden, FL

#14 Jun 26, 2010
Coolmind wrote:
We are toast.
Let me guess, you've given up your automobiles because you no longer have a job and live off government welfare, of which many Billions come from the Oil/Gas companies in taxes/fees.

Hypocrite!

“Angry Antlers ”

Since: Sep 08

Miami

#15 Jun 26, 2010
Festus wrote:
And who's suggesting shutting down oil production? No one. The moratorium is on 33 EXPLORATORY wells, not on the 3400 currently pumping out oil.

Deep Water Horizon was an exploratory well, not a functioning one. We need a complete investigation before we allow any MORE wells opened. This is what is amazing about the disconnect between FOX noise watchers and the rest of us who have access to real news.
boy

Linköping, Sweden

#16 Jun 26, 2010
I'm fed up with you Americans blameing BP for a little oil on your beaches, this is nothing compared to the damage you have done in Iraq and Afghanistan are you going to pay compensation to all the people who have lost everything like houses ,jobs, children, and so on because of you, you need to clean your own mess up, and give BP a break
Festus

Broken Arrow, OK

#17 Jun 26, 2010
Caribou Barbie wrote:
<quoted text>
And who's suggesting shutting down oil production? No one. The moratorium is on 33 EXPLORATORY wells, not on the 3400 currently pumping out oil.
Deep Water Horizon was an exploratory well, not a functioning one. We need a complete investigation before we allow any MORE wells opened. This is what is amazing about the disconnect between FOX noise watchers and the rest of us who have access to real news.
Theys is talking about current producing wells also. I listen to many news programs which all have there slant. None are real news totally and true.
Junky

Van Buren, AR

#18 Jun 26, 2010
A small percentage of oil company profits should be set aside for oil cleanup research.

BP made over 300 BILLION last year. 0.1% of that is 300,000,000 a year to help look for ways to clean up oil.

Another 0.1% could be for research into alternative ways to use oil to get more efficiency in it's use. What's the current efficiency, like 50 or 60% of the energy is used?

The rest is wasted as heat released into the air. That and air conditioners pumping heat into the air could be why it's hotter in the city than out in the country.

But no, all companies are just looking for more ways to increase profits. None of them care that their actions are self defeating in the long run.

“Angry Antlers ”

Since: Sep 08

Miami

#24 Jun 26, 2010
Festus wrote:
<quoted text>
Theys is talking about current producing wells also. I listen to many news programs which all have there slant. None are real news totally and true.
No "they" aren't. Where are you getting your news? FOX?

LOL!!

Only exploratory wells, and only 33 of them at that.

So when I see the retarded Howdy Doody Governor Jingle of Louisiana standing there shouting down the moratorium when it doesn't even effect his state, it's laughable, and an obvious political pander to the dum dums in the Rethuglican Farty.
Festus

Broken Arrow, OK

#25 Jun 26, 2010
Caribou Barbie wrote:
<quoted text>
No "they" aren't. Where are you getting your news? FOX?
LOL!!
Only exploratory wells, and only 33 of them at that.
So when I see the retarded Howdy Doody Governor Jingle of Louisiana standing there shouting down the moratorium when it doesn't even effect his state, it's laughable, and an obvious political pander to the dum dums in the Rethuglican Farty.
Better question where you get your slanted news. You need to learn to evaluate you news more better.
Foslo Smerg

Monongahela, PA

#26 Jun 26, 2010
Coolmind wrote:
We are toast.
Yea, and your boy Obozo is the toaster.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Oil Spill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Yellowstone River oil spill: Fresh water is tak... Jan '15 public at risk 2
News Oil Spill Contaminates Montana Town's Water, EP... Jan '15 discuss locally 1
News How the Ebola crisis is like the BP oil spill (Oct '14) Oct '14 Jeff Brightone 1
Texas Oil Spill (Mar '14) Mar '14 Roblogger 1
News Crews clean up Texas oil spill, dozens ships st... (Mar '14) Mar '14 imagine a world 1
News Trial over BP's Gulf oil spill focuses on compa... (Oct '13) Oct '13 swim 1
News Critics slam Thai energy giant for inefficient ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 chisholm 1
More from around the web