Democrats try to seize initiative on ...

Democrats try to seize initiative on oil spill

There are 2420 comments on the The Topeka Capital-Journal story from Jun 9, 2010, titled Democrats try to seize initiative on oil spill. In it, The Topeka Capital-Journal reports that:

President Barack Obama and congressional Democrats are trying to prevent a political disaster along with the environmental one taking place in the Gulf of Mexico as they try to convince Americans frustrated by the ongoing oil spill that BP and Republican coziness with the oil industry are to blame.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Topeka Capital-Journal.

First Prev
of 121
Next Last
PHD

Ann Arbor, MI

#2632 Jul 22, 2010
Let The Schooling Begin wrote:
<quoted text>I am not spinning anything. I only provided a link to a Pew survey that shows Fox viewers as being nearly the least informed on national and international issues. The Daily Show and Colbert Report being the most well informed.
It really isn't a stretch to connect Fox's misinformation and lies it feeds their viewers as at least one cause for the Fox viewer being ill informed about the world.
Generally I don't view much of fox and colbert but today fox had a special report about an airplane landing with a flat tire. Gee as they were scanning the landing strip they seem to have missed the landing. Like most of their reporting their a little short of the real facts.
bob

United States

#2633 Jul 22, 2010
<quoted text>I am not spinning anything. I only provided a link to a Pew survey that shows Fox viewers as being nearly the least informed on national and international issues. The Daily Show and Colbert Report being the most well informed.
It really isn't a stretch to connect Fox's misinformation and lies it feeds their viewers as at least one cause for the Fox viewer being ill informed about the world.
Re-read the source and then your posts and see if you can figure out what was actually said in the source and what YOU added. That's your assignment. As you said....Let the schooling begin.

FTR

“Community Liar-in-Chief”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#2634 Jul 22, 2010
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>
Generally I don't view much of fox and colbert but today fox had a special report about an airplane landing with a flat tire. Gee as they were scanning the landing strip they seem to have missed the landing. Like most of their reporting their a little short of the real facts.
What real facts were they short of regarding the airplane landing? Just because it landed without incident and out of camera shot isn't short of real facts. Gee, I suppose you wanted to see the plane land and crash or something of that nature. Get a life.

“More taxes ???”

Since: Jan 09

Need MORE taxes ???

#2635 Jul 22, 2010
Thomas Jefferson in some cases could be called a prophet. So here are some quotes from Mr. Jefferson that seem very appropriate to repeat
today:

When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe.
Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.
Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

In light of the present financial crisis, it's interesting to read what Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:

'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks,
and corporations that will grow up around the banks, will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.
Let The Schooling Begin

Portland, OR

#2636 Jul 22, 2010
bob wrote:
<quoted text>Re-read the source and then your posts and see if you can figure out what was actually said in the source and what YOU added. That's your assignment. As you said....Let the schooling begin.
No need. I stand by my post.
bob

United States

#2637 Jul 22, 2010
“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”

T.Jefferson
bob

United States

#2638 Jul 22, 2010
<quoted text>No need. I stand by my post.
Of course you do. There is no need for you to confirm you honesty. Everyone can see it.
Let The Schooling Begin

Portland, OR

#2639 Jul 22, 2010
bob wrote:
<quoted text>Of course you do. There is no need for you to confirm you honesty. Everyone can see it.
That's right they can. Thank you. ;)
PHD

Ann Arbor, MI

#2640 Jul 22, 2010
FTR wrote:
<quoted text>What real facts were they short of regarding the airplane landing? Just because it landed without incident and out of camera shot isn't short of real facts. Gee, I suppose you wanted to see the plane land and crash or something of that nature. Get a life.
We wouldn't know they missed the facts. Maybe you would like to see the airplane crash. We expect more from a station that reports being #1.You need to take the blinders off and get a life. Do some research yourself on how to do that fox will lead you into another direction? Unless you crash and burn then they may be able to pick that up.

FTR

“Community Liar-in-Chief”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#2641 Jul 22, 2010
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>We wouldn't know they missed the facts. Maybe you would like to see the airplane crash. We expect more from a station that reports being #1.You need to take the blinders off and get a life. Do some research yourself on how to do that fox will lead you into another direction? Unless you crash and burn then they may be able to pick that up.
Thanks for verifying what your PHD stands for...LMAO!!!
PHD

Ann Arbor, MI

#2642 Jul 23, 2010
FTR wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for verifying what your PHD stands for...LMAO!!!
No problem. And thanks for verifying that FTR represents FOOLED TRUE RHIZOMORPH

“Gloria Ad Caput Venire”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#2643 Jul 23, 2010
Telstar wrote:
<quoted text>.
No.
They're calling themselves Progressive Democrats these days.
No you are calling them progressive democrats and if you arent doing so then please post a link to that effect... lil stinger

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#2644 Jul 23, 2010
positronium wrote:
<quoted text>No you are calling them progressive democrats and if you arent doing so then please post a link to that effect... lil stinger
http://cpc.grijalva.house.gov/

Hope that helps. And no he was not calling them Progressive Democrats. They call themselves Progressive Democrats.
bob

Leavenworth, KS

#2645 Jul 23, 2010
positronium wrote:
<quoted text>No you are calling them progressive democrats and if you arent doing so then please post a link to that effect... lil stinger
Co-Chairs
Hon. Raúl M. Grijalva (AZ-07)
Hon. Lynn Woolsey (CA-06)

Vice Chairs
Hon. Diane Watson (CA-33)
Hon. Keith Ellison (MN-05)
Hon. Sheila Jackson-Lee (TX-18)
Hon. Mazie Hirono (HI-02)
Hon. Dennis Kucinich (OH-10)
Hon. Donna F. Edwards (MD-04)
Hon. Alan Grayson (FL-08)

Senate Members
Hon. Roland Burris (IL)
Hon. Bernie Sanders (VT)
Hon. Tom Udall (NM)

House Members
Hon. Tammy Baldwin (WI-02)
Hon. Xavier Becerra (CA-31)
Hon. Earl Blumenauer (OR-03)
Hon. Robert Brady (PA-01)
Hon. Corrine Brown (FL-03)
Hon. Michael Capuano (MA-08)
Hon. André Carson (IN-07)
Hon. Donna Christensen (VI-AL)
Hon. Judy Chu (CA-32)
Hon. Yvette Clarke (NY-11)
Hon. William “Lacy” Clay (MO-01)
Hon. Emanuel Cleaver (MO-05)
Hon. Steve Cohen (TN-09)
Hon. John Conyers (MI-14)
Hon. Elijah Cummings (MD-07)
Hon. Danny Davis (IL-07)
Hon. Peter DeFazio (OR-04)
Hon. Rosa DeLauro (CT-03)
Hon. Sam Farr (CA-17)
Hon. Chaka Fattah (PA-02)
Hon. Bob Filner (CA-51)
Hon. Barney Frank (MA-04)
Hon. Marcia L. Fudge (OH-11)
Hon. Luis Gutierrez (IL-04)
Hon. John Hall (NY-19)
Hon. Phil Hare (IL-17)
Hon. Alcee Hastings (FL-23)
Hon. Maurice Hinchey (NY-22)
Hon. Michael Honda (CA-15)
Hon. Jesse Jackson, Jr.(IL-02)
Hon. Eddie Bernice Johnson (TX-30)
Hon. Hank Johnson (GA-04)
Hon. Marcy Kaptur (OH-09)
Hon. Carolyn Kilpatrick (MI-13)
Hon. Barbara Lee (CA-09)
Hon. John Lewis (GA-05)
Hon. David Loebsack (IA-02)
Hon. Ben R. Lujan (NM-3)
Hon. Carolyn Maloney (NY-14)
Hon. Ed Markey (MA-07)
Hon. Jim McDermott (WA-07)
Hon. James McGovern (MA-03)
Hon. George Miller (CA-07)
Hon. Gwen Moore (WI-04)
Hon. Jim Moran (VA-08)
Hon. Jerrold Nadler (NY-08)
Hon. Eleanor Holmes-Norton (DC-AL)
Hon. John Olver (MA-01)
Hon. Frank Pallone (NJ-06)
Hon. Ed Pastor (AZ-04)
Hon. Donald Payne (NJ-10)
Hon. Chellie Pingree (ME-01)
Hon. Jared Polis (CO-02)
Hon. Charles Rangel (NY-15)
Hon. Laura Richardson (CA-37)
Hon. Lucille Roybal-Allard (CA-34)
Hon. Bobby Rush (IL-01)
Hon. Linda Sánchez (CA-39)
Hon. Jan Schakowsky (IL-09)
Hon. José Serrano (NY-16)
Hon. Louise Slaughter (NY-28)
Hon. Pete Stark (CA-13)
Hon. Bennie Thompson (MS-02)
Hon. John Tierney (MA-06)
Hon. Nydia Velazquez (NY-12)
Hon. Maxine Waters (CA-35)
Hon. Mel Watt (NC-12)
Hon. Henry Waxman (CA-30)
Hon. Peter Welch (VT-AL)

Congressional progressives. At least that's what they call themselves.
Great British ass

Taunton, UK

#2646 Jul 23, 2010
Thank you BP!

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!

by Gordan Brown

“Gloria Ad Caput Venire”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#2647 Jul 23, 2010
DavidH64 wrote:
<quoted text>
http://cpc.grijalva.house.gov/
Hope that helps. And no he was not calling them Progressive Democrats. They call themselves Progressive Democrats.
are you saying to me that the tea party calls themselves progressive democrats i didnt see any referrence to that in your link
<quoted text>
Well Tea Party folks don't count themselves as Republicans now do they???
telstar answered
No.

They're calling themselves Progressive Democrats these days.
Algernon Sidney

Lakewood, OH

#2648 Jul 24, 2010
Raven wrote:
Republican Hypocrisy
Save our unborn they cry
Leave the born and uninsured to die
That is an absolute lie. It is easy to accuse someone of hypocrisy based on lies.
Raven

Albertville, AL

#2649 Jul 24, 2010
Algernon Sidney wrote:
<quoted text>That is an absolute lie. It is easy to accuse someone of hypocrisy based on lies.
I didn't write it I just posted it but if you took the time to read the whole poem then I found it pretty accurate.
Jay

Caulfield North, Australia

#2651 Jul 30, 2010
How to fabricate a disaster and then use it for your own use!

its called the Obama deception

http://www.twawki.com/...

“Perp Walk Obama,Reid & Pelosi!”

Since: Apr 07

Central California

#2653 Jul 30, 2010
Raven wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't write it I just posted it but if you took the time to read the whole poem then I found it pretty accurate.
If you "found" it to be accurate, then you've been searching in the wrong place for your information.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 121
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Oil Spill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Massive 2013 Oil Spill in North Dakota Still No... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Grrr 1
News Ex-BP engineer arrested in Gulf oil spill case (Apr '12) Jul '15 Make farts 4
News Yellowstone River oil spill: Fresh water is tak... (Jan '15) Jan '15 public at risk 2
News Oil Spill Contaminates Montana Town's Water, EP... (Jan '15) Jan '15 discuss locally 1
News How the Ebola crisis is like the BP oil spill (Oct '14) Oct '14 Jeff Brightone 1
Texas Oil Spill (Mar '14) Mar '14 Roblogger 1
News Crews clean up Texas oil spill, dozens ships st... (Mar '14) Mar '14 imagine a world 1