Would this work?
Fuzzykittenz9

North Augusta, SC

#1 Jul 8, 2010
I'm pretty sure that someone has probably already thought of this. But to be on the safe side.

Alright! So, I was just wondering if there was something I am totally not getting or if my plan might actually work. The depth of the water at the oil spill is around 8,000 feet, correct? So then BP had to have a way of making a pipe longer than 5,000 feetÖwhich is the depth at which the break occurred. I may not understand all of the facts, but the facts I have attained from 5 minutes of research are here.
The leak is spewing oil at 35,000 to 60,000 gallons per day. Letís say 60,000 to be safe. A SMALL tanker carries 13,000 to 70,000 barrels of oil. So it is safe to say that tankers could easily be used to carry the leaking oil. The spread of the accident was no bigger than 7,000 feet
Now, on to my diagram: I drew this up in about 10 minutes. Itís very crude. BP released information about a plan to create a dome shape to contain the oil. So, I am assuming they could easily make a cube to fit around it. Next a pipe is attached to this ďcontainerĒ. I am assuming that if they made a pipe 5,000 feet long, they could easily do the same. Now Iím not sure if a pump will be needed, but a pump could be attached (itís the green square) to the top, and possible a filter or centrifuge to separate the oil from ocean water and dump the ocean water back in. So that the inside of the cube could retain water to bring up more oil, holes could be drilled at the pink spots. Just you know, throwing that idea out there. I donít know if it will work. But at least Iím making an effort!
Fuzzykittenz

Diagram URL
Anon

AOL

#3 Jul 8, 2010
Fuzzykittenz9 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that someone has probably already thought of this. But to be on the safe side.
Alright! So, I was just wondering if there was something I am totally not getting or if my plan might actually work. The depth of the water at the oil spill is around 8,000 feet, correct? So then BP had to have a way of making a pipe longer than 5,000 feetÖwhich is the depth at which the break occurred. I may not understand all of the facts, but the facts I have attained from 5 minutes of research are here.
The leak is spewing oil at 35,000 to 60,000 gallons per day. Letís say 60,000 to be safe. A SMALL tanker carries 13,000 to 70,000 barrels of oil. So it is safe to say that tankers could easily be used to carry the leaking oil. The spread of the accident was no bigger than 7,000 feet
Now, on to my diagram: I drew this up in about 10 minutes. Itís very crude. BP released information about a plan to create a dome shape to contain the oil. So, I am assuming they could easily make a cube to fit around it. Next a pipe is attached to this ďcontainerĒ. I am assuming that if they made a pipe 5,000 feet long, they could easily do the same. Now Iím not sure if a pump will be needed, but a pump could be attached (itís the green square) to the top, and possible a filter or centrifuge to separate the oil from ocean water and dump the ocean water back in. So that the inside of the cube could retain water to bring up more oil, holes could be drilled at the pink spots. Just you know, throwing that idea out there. I donít know if it will work. But at least Iím making an effort!
Fuzzykittenz
Diagram URL
The main problem with the "dome" capping/siphoning schemes had to do with methane-hydrate crystal formation and blockages (partly due to hot crude trapped in extreme cold seawater environment). Heating the structures proved impractical and high flow-pressures was another compounding issue.

Also, cheapskate BP only wants to collect what IT can profit from--and to hell with the environment, and any other entity with applicable pollution-containing abilities. BP and their protecting U.S. Feds are "siphoning-centric"! !

Lastly, your diagram link is displaying some sort of commercial spam-linkage dialogue.
Anon

AOL

#4 Jul 8, 2010
Apologies--the post's "Diagram URL" does not function for my browser--but the highlighted word "diagram" in your post is spam-connected (just to be overly descriptive).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Oil Spill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Massive 2013 Oil Spill in North Dakota Still No... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Grrr 1
News Ex-BP engineer arrested in Gulf oil spill case (Apr '12) Jul '15 Make farts 4
News Yellowstone River oil spill: Fresh water is tak... (Jan '15) Jan '15 public at risk 2
News Oil Spill Contaminates Montana Town's Water, EP... (Jan '15) Jan '15 discuss locally 1
News How the Ebola crisis is like the BP oil spill (Oct '14) Oct '14 Jeff Brightone 1
Texas Oil Spill (Mar '14) Mar '14 Roblogger 1
News Crews clean up Texas oil spill, dozens ships st... (Mar '14) Mar '14 imagine a world 1
More from around the web