First deep-water drilling permit issu...

First deep-water drilling permit issued for gulf since BP oil spill

There are 140 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Mar 1, 2011, titled First deep-water drilling permit issued for gulf since BP oil spill. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

The Obama administration issued the first new deep-water drilling permit for the Gulf of Mexico since the BP oil spill, stoking cautious optimism Monday among some industry executives and Gulf Coast politicians about local oil and gas exploration.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1 Mar 1, 2011
We never learn. We can't drill our way out of this.
Lance Winslow

United States

#2 Mar 1, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Oil and gasoline inventories are at 14 year highs. This has nothing to do with availability or use of resources; it's only about money.
Knox

United States

#3 Mar 1, 2011
Obama and his appointees have put the USA in this quandary of escalating gas prices.

Democrats have supported this all along. OUT with them in 2012. They have not sought to make America less dependent on foreign oil, by drilling here in the USA, they have sought to STOP oil drilling and keeping America more dependent on foreign oil.
LOL

Tampa, FL

#4 Mar 1, 2011
obama has trashed the country for over 2 years....

he is completly oblivious of the lives his BS and foot dragging have destoryed.

Millions of americans that will never recover from his waste of time playing president.

“JESUS WOULD IMPEACH THE GOP!!!”

Since: May 09

Lake Success, N.Y.

#5 Mar 1, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
You're 100% correct. Carter warned of this way back in the 70's, yet no one seems to listen.

Tawas City, Michigan

#6 Mar 1, 2011
Knox wrote:
Obama and his appointees have put the USA in this quandary of escalating gas prices.
Democrats have supported this all along. OUT with them in 2012. They have not sought to make America less dependent on foreign oil, by drilling here in the USA, they have sought to STOP oil drilling and keeping America more dependent on foreign oil.
The problem isn't being dependent on foreign oil, the problem is being dependent on oil- PERIOD!

“Baby Obama”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#7 Mar 1, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Try this..

You can't eat your way out of being hungry.

The whole world runs on petroleum, there is no viable replacement for it.

You can drive your horse and buggy. I prefer a car.

Tawas City, Michigan

#8 Mar 1, 2011
Space Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Try this..
You can't eat your way out of being hungry.
The whole world runs on petroleum, there is no viable replacement for it.
You can drive your horse and buggy. I prefer a car.
And I will wave as I drive by your out-of-gas car on the side of the road.........

Enjoy paying $4/gal gas, because $5 is coming soon. Suckers!
scout

San Francisco, CA

#9 Mar 1, 2011
All the feds have to do is REQUIRE auto shut off devices, just like BP uses in other areas of the world!

The problem was not so much with BP, but with our stupid fed government!
Far Away

Anchorage, AK

#10 Mar 1, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
When will we learn that we can't drill our way out of this if we're prevented from drilling.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#11 Mar 1, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
yes we can. we just never tried.
but, we will.
$5 a gallon gas is the death knell for obama and his merry band of left wing progressive morons...
the republican president will begin drilling in earnest in 2012...we WILL be energy self sufficient by 2018.
Ralph

Saranac, MI

#13 Mar 1, 2011
To little to late. Most of the deep water rigs have left for greener pastures. Crude is climbing again today with no end in site due to the unrest in the mid east. Now might be a good time to get out of the stock market too. As I recall it took a big dive the last time fuel prices climbed above the $3.50 mark.

Tawas City, Michigan

#14 Mar 1, 2011
carey529 wrote:
<quoted text>
but, we will.
$5 a gallon gas is the death knell for obama and his merry band of left wing progressive morons...
the republican president will begin drilling in earnest in 2012...we WILL be energy self sufficient by 2018.
And just where is all this magical oil going to come from?? If you put an oil well on every square foot of the country and 1000 miles off shore, there STILL won't be enough to satisfy our increasing demand- currently 20 million barrels per day. We would have to QUADRUPLE our domestic production just to meet CURRENT demand. Not even the oil industry is dumb enough to claim we can produce enough domestically to be able to stop importing oil.

If you like $5/gal, then you're going to love when it goes to $10.
McCarthy was right

Guilford, CT

#15 Mar 1, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
And I will wave as I drive by your out-of-gas car on the side of the road.........
You mean as you drive by in your coal powered "electric" car?
cjrian

United States

#16 Mar 1, 2011
McCarthy was right wrote:
You mean as you drive by in your coal powered "electric" car?
The one that gets 40 miles to the charge?
And 20 miles in cold or hot weather?
That costs 2.5 times the price of a gas car?
The one that Government Motors can't sell because it doesn't meet customer needs?
That is a nasty hazard from high voltage and battery material (acid and/or lithium) in an accident?
That car?
cjrian

United States

#17 Mar 1, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
And just where is all this magical oil going to come from?? If you put an oil well on every square foot of the country and 1000 miles off shore, there STILL won't be enough to satisfy our increasing demand- currently 20 million barrels per day. We would have to QUADRUPLE our domestic production just to meet CURRENT demand. Not even the oil industry is dumb enough to claim we can produce enough domestically to be able to stop importing oil.
If you like $5/gal, then you're going to love when it goes to $10.
The US currently has about 100 years of proven oil reserves
And 200 years of proven natural gas
New exploration has determined that a new oil field in and off Alaska may have more oil than Saudi Arabia

The only thing keeping oil prices high is the idiots in this administration
Obama said he'd necessarily bankrupt energy producers, and it's the only promise he's kept and the only thing he's actually done with some success.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#18 Mar 1, 2011
carey529 wrote:
<quoted text>
but, we will.
Funny how you "free enterprise" people hate it when free enterprise economics take over
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#19 Mar 1, 2011
cjrian wrote:
<quoted text>
The US currently has about 100 years of proven oil reserves
And 200 years of proven natural gas
New exploration has determined that a new oil field in and off Alaska may have more oil than Saudi Arabia
The only thing keeping oil prices high is the idiots in this administration
Obama said he'd necessarily bankrupt energy producers, and it's the only promise he's kept and the only thing he's actually done with some success.
Funny how much leased rights haven't been touched by companies yet.

I wonder why?

“Baby Obama”

Location hidden

#20 Mar 1, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Just imagine, how much money the US could generate for itself.

Just imagine, all of the jobs it would create.

Just imagine, actually being able to tell the Middle East, "We don't need your oil.

Just imagine, we could actually drive DOWN the price of a barrel of oil.

Just imagine, having to shoot your horse for food, because grocery prices are so high.

Until there is something to replace it, like it or not, we need oil.

What are you gonna cook with? Heat your house with? Magic Fairy Dust?

“Baby Obama”

Location hidden

#21 Mar 1, 2011
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Funny how much leased rights haven't been touched by companies yet.
I wonder why?
2 words

Cass Sunstein.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Oil Spill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Yellowstone River oil spill: Fresh water is tak... Jan '15 public at risk 2
News Oil Spill Contaminates Montana Town's Water, EP... Jan '15 discuss locally 1
News How the Ebola crisis is like the BP oil spill (Oct '14) Oct '14 Jeff Brightone 1
Texas Oil Spill (Mar '14) Mar '14 Roblogger 1
News Crews clean up Texas oil spill, dozens ships st... (Mar '14) Mar '14 imagine a world 1
News Trial over BP's Gulf oil spill focuses on compa... (Oct '13) Oct '13 swim 1
News Critics slam Thai energy giant for inefficient ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 chisholm 1
More from around the web