BP Oil Spill

There are 26 comments on the ABC News story from Jun 1, 2010, titled BP Oil Spill. In it, ABC News reports that:

As early as today a scalpel-sharp saw studded with industrial diamonds will be lowered to a 22-inch riser in an attempt to slice off the main oil pipe so engineers can lower a dome over the spewing oil in the Gulf of Mexico.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ABC News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jimmy farter

Lutz, FL

#1 Jun 1, 2010
presidunce odumba is big on boring talk and non-existant with actions!

look no further than odumba for the severity of the spill and horrible lack of response! the fed inspectors under odumba giving this rig a passing grade & the million dollar bribe odumba took didn't help!
jimmy farter

Lutz, FL

#2 Jun 1, 2010
james carville - "hey mr presidunce do something, our people are dying down here"
Concerned Citizen

Aubrey, TX

#3 Jun 2, 2010
DONT blame the oil spill entirely on president obama, THE BP COMPANY IS THE ONE'S RESPONSIBLE! THEY SHOULDVE SEEN THIS COMING! Although, i do agree that the president should try to get more envolved or at least take more effective and better approaches than going on prime time TV...
plugthegulf com

Mount Vernon, OH

#4 Jun 2, 2010
http://plugthegulf.com - we need your support!
gunit

Waycross, GA

#6 Jun 3, 2010
Am i the only one wondering where all this oil was when there was such a monsterous shortage and gas was $4 a gallon? Big oil and the goverment cliams that we are running out of oil. OOPS, now we find out there is enought oil in this one well to fill the gulf of mexico. I have not heard one word of this from the media.

Since: Jun 07

Mid state S.C.

#7 Jun 3, 2010
Let's see - For 40+ days, the professionals at BP, with the entire world at their service, have not been able to get a flange, plug or other type cap down to this pipe, and weld it closed, but hanging a bell over it and plugging it with mud has been at the fore front of this battle. And then they only get out the hacksaw when a movie director is called on for his expertise? Does anyone else smell a rat? Or a conspiracy?

“Yorkshire till I Die!”

Since: Jun 09

Keighley, Yorkshire, UK

#8 Jun 10, 2010
I'm sorry but the US has made its own mess. They have set a precedent. So President Obama doesn't like BP, and US commentators are lining up to crucify "British" Petroleum. Amid all this jingoism, City Spy has two words of its own to throw back across the Atlantic. "Union Carbide." Yes, US companies make mistakes too. In December 1984, deadly gases and toxins leaked from the pesticide factory operated by Union Carbide at Bhopal in India. The official death toll is almost 4,000 but it could be much higher, with many thousands left permanently disfigured. Has Union Carbide and the US government cleaned up the land around the plant, 26 years on? Er, NO. As for litigation, it continues to wend its weary way through US and Indian courts. So because of this precedent set by US companies and the US government, BP and the British government should halt all clean-up activities until Union Carbide and the US government clear up the mess in Bhopal in India and compensate all those affected and the families of those affected. Until then, "British" Petroleum should sit back and put their feet up and watch the oil spill do damage to US waters and to the US coast-line. Yes, this seems perfectly fair to me. A taste of their own medicine one could say. The US has made its own mess!
Azif Uno

Claremont, CA

#9 Jun 10, 2010
Can someone tell me why the US is not reaping some benifits off of the spill. Maritime Law for slavage rights should apply, that means any oil floating on the surface is free game for anyone to take and sell.
Romney lauer are idiots

Jamaica, NY

#10 Jun 10, 2010
Concerned Citizen wrote:
DONT blame the oil spill entirely on president obama, THE BP COMPANY IS THE ONE'S RESPONSIBLE! THEY SHOULDVE SEEN THIS COMING! Although, i do agree that the president should try to get more envolved or at least take more effective and better approaches than going on prime time TV...
Try don't blame the president at all. Try blaming the real mafia criminals who are trying to set up the President. and that's- Halliburton, as well.

Gulf oil spill: The Halliburton connection

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/greenspace/20...

INVESTIGATE MAFIA TAINTED HALLIBURTON NOW!

Mid state S.C.

#11 Jun 10, 2010
And another thing - I've heard the coasts are fair-game for any other country to come and drill off our shores. Perhaps we are in for more of these types of scenarios if China, Argentina or Russia decides to pursue black gold just outside our domestic waters!!

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#12 Jun 11, 2010
Devils Advct wrote:
Let's see - For 40+ days, the professionals at BP, with the entire world at their service, have not been able to get a flange, plug or other type cap down to this pipe, and weld it closed, but hanging a bell over it and plugging it with mud has been at the fore front of this battle. And then they only get out the hacksaw when a movie director is called on for his expertise? Does anyone else smell a rat? Or a conspiracy?
Whatevever the recoverable reserves are in this field, having them added in 2008 or not would have made no difference on gasoline prices in the US. Realize that it is not only American oil demand that determines the global price of crude oil, but global demand. Adding one 100-million barrel field to the global supply pool is a drop in a pond.

Location hidden

#13 Jun 11, 2010
Devils Advct wrote:
And another thing - I've heard the coasts are fair-game for any other country to come and drill off our shores. Perhaps we are in for more of these types of scenarios if China, Argentina or Russia decides to pursue black gold just outside our domestic waters!!
I work in the energy industry. The offshore "fair-game for any other country to come and drill off our shores". The way offshore exploration works is that a company, American or foreign, has to win exploration acreage in a bidding contest. Those who give the Minerals Management Service an envelope with the biggest check, wins the rights to explore a 3x3 mile plot offshore for a period of 10 years. The MMS issues permits and regulates safety, the Treasury department collects corporate income tax. This hold for Federal waters (outside of the 12-mile limit). Inward, State agencies regulate things, but work pretty much the same way.

It is up to the MMS to make sure safety standards are maintained.

Location hidden

#14 Jun 11, 2010
Romney lauer are idiots wrote:
<quoted text>
Try don't blame the president at all. Try blaming the real mafia criminals who are trying to set up the President. and that's- Halliburton, as well.
Gulf oil spill: The Halliburton connection
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/greenspace/20...
INVESTIGATE MAFIA TAINTED HALLIBURTON NOW!
How could ANY politician be responsible for an oil spill, or conversely the cleanup thereof? Halliburton did the cementing job on this well, Cameron built the blowout preventer that failed, Transoceans supplied the drilling rig and people, and BP supplied the rig supervisor. Where is there a conspiracy? It's mishap, like an airlines crashing. You do what you can to make thigns safe, but there is always a combination of factors out there that can cause a tragedy.

This whole thing very clearly an engineering issue for BP and Transoceans to solve. It will continue to leak for a few more months until a relief well is finished drilling and the bad wellbore is permanently plugged from below.

Location hidden

#15 Jun 11, 2010
Ijanderson977 wrote:
I'm sorry but the US has made its own mess. They have set a precedent. So President Obama doesn't like BP, and US commentators are lining up to crucify "British" Petroleum. Amid all this jingoism, City Spy has two words of its own to throw back across the Atlantic. "Union Carbide." Yes, US companies make mistakes too. In December 1984, deadly gases and toxins leaked from the pesticide factory operated by Union Carbide at Bhopal in India. The official death toll is almost 4,000 but it could be much higher, with many thousands left permanently disfigured. Has Union Carbide and the US government cleaned up the land around the plant, 26 years on? Er, NO. As for litigation, it continues to wend its weary way through US and Indian courts. So because of this precedent set by US companies and the US government, BP and the British government should halt all clean-up activities until Union Carbide and the US government clear up the mess in Bhopal in India and compensate all those affected and the families of those affected. Until then, "British" Petroleum should sit back and put their feet up and watch the oil spill do damage to US waters and to the US coast-line. Yes, this seems perfectly fair to me. A taste of their own medicine one could say. The US has made its own mess!
The anti BP rhetoric coming from the White House is a crude and xenophobic display of partisan dumbness. Obama has lost credibility displaying this kind of poor judgement. BP has not been "British Petroleum" for years and, although headquartered in London, it is an international company with British and American directors, traded both on the New York and London stock exchanges. 40% of its stock is held by U.S. investors. If it comes right down to it, most of the engineeds, geologists and managers who drilled this well were probably ex-Amoco or ex-Arco people, two American companies BP bought 11 years ago.
Karmaisreal

Far Rockaway, NY

#16 Jun 13, 2010
Ever ask yourself why Obama is taking his sweet old time in helping these good ol' boys on the gulf coast? That's right! Our black pres was heard telling a certain black politician : " Yea right , I'm going to rush right down there and help those sob's after the way they mistreated our brothers there in the south for centuries " . Kinda funny : the south tried to destroy the blacks and now something black is destroying the south.....Karma at work !

Mid state S.C.

#17 Jun 14, 2010
2003emm3 wrote:
<quoted text>
I work in the energy industry. The offshore "fair-game for any other country to come and drill off our shores". The way offshore exploration works is that a company, American or foreign, has to win exploration acreage in a bidding contest. Those who give the Minerals Management Service an envelope with the biggest check, wins the rights to explore a 3x3 mile plot offshore for a period of 10 years. The MMS issues permits and regulates safety, the Treasury department collects corporate income tax. This hold for Federal waters (outside of the 12-mile limit). Inward, State agencies regulate things, but work pretty much the same way.
It is up to the MMS to make sure safety standards are maintained.
My inexperience lends to the next question - to whom are they applying for rights, in international waters? Do mineral extand past the commonly accepted shipping ranges?(10 - 12 miles?)
Mike7642

Spring, TX

#19 Jun 15, 2010
jimmy farter wrote:
presidunce odumba is big on boring talk and non-existant with actions!
look no further than odumba for the severity of the spill and horrible lack of response! the fed inspectors under odumba giving this rig a passing grade & the million dollar bribe odumba took didn't help!
BP ran their dilling operations no differant than the other company drilling in the GoM. This was a disaster waiting to happen by every crude oil exploration company. Regulations need to be set in place. 1) All wells should be drilled with a relief well. 2) A secondary BOP should be installed.
BP is spending incredible amounts of money to make this right. I find it counter productive for people to boycott BP stations. The boycotters are hurting innocent people and their families. Furthermore, why break the company that is suppling money to fix the problem and pay those affected by it. Finally, gasoline sales only makes up about 3% of BP's profits.
Help

Friendswood, TX

#20 Jun 15, 2010
Latest: Four of the five oil companies represeted on capital hill today are using the same oil spill protocol documents. I can't believe with all the money they have they would pull off something like this. It's ovious that they don't care about safety but only the billions of dollars they make. We (America yes and you to) have created this mess we are in becasue of our dependence on oil. Besides that look at where we are getting it from. We (Arizona..not me..not from Arizona) treat mexican imagrants like *%&$ but we suck-up to people that don't care crap for us. We educate them by providing waivers and exemptions, when born americans and yes hard working illegal imagrants can't get small business loans, waived out-of-state fees etc. President Obama and President Bush did and is doing what they are allowed to do. Meaning they are given what they need to know based on how a few politicians, lobbiest and other rich bastards tend to keep most opressed and a few in the "well to do" realm. Please America wake the &%$^ up! Please! It's your family that has to suffer becasue of the stupid and selfish decisions made at the local, state and federal goverments. Who's afraid? We all are. NRA..Why? because they are afraid not if the president will outlaw their guns and amimunition but giving the oppressed a platform to stand on. Meaning when you oppress people they tend to act out on the oppressor (goverment) I'm not by a long shot anti goverment but we need to stop all the politics and find ways to come together and do what's best for the country and not for a select few. Oh yes, you could be a oppressor simply by knowing that things are not right on any particular subject and stand by and do nor say a thing. I'm not the smartest person..but..you figure out the rest since you are.
God Bless the World! We are the world, we are the children. Lets make it a better place for you and me.

Location hidden

#21 Jun 16, 2010
Devils Advct wrote:
<quoted text>
My inexperience lends to the next question - to whom are they applying for rights, in international waters? Do mineral extand past the commonly accepted shipping ranges?(10 - 12 miles?)
12 miles off the coast is the Territorial Waters. To lease acreage there, you go to the state mineral board in LA, TX etc. Outboard is the U.S. Exlusive Economic Zone (extending 200 or so miles offshore). Every coastal country has one. Leasing acreage there falls under the jurisdiction of the Minerals Management Service (MMS) based in New Orleans. It is international waters, but whatever is below the seafloor belongs to the U.S. government.

Location hidden

#22 Jun 16, 2010
Mike7642 wrote:
<quoted text>
BP ran their dilling operations no differant than the other company drilling in the GoM. This was a disaster waiting to happen by every crude oil exploration company. Regulations need to be set in place. 1) All wells should be drilled with a relief well. 2) A secondary BOP should be installed.
BP is spending incredible amounts of money to make this right. I find it counter productive for people to boycott BP stations. The boycotters are hurting innocent people and their families. Furthermore, why break the company that is suppling money to fix the problem and pay those affected by it. Finally, gasoline sales only makes up about 3% of BP's profits.
Moreover, why break up a company that has 40% of its stock owned by American investors, many of whom are pension funds.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Oil Spill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Massive 2013 Oil Spill in North Dakota Still No... Dec '16 Grrr 1
News Ex-BP engineer arrested in Gulf oil spill case (Apr '12) Jul '15 Make farts 4
News Yellowstone River oil spill: Fresh water is tak... (Jan '15) Jan '15 public at risk 2
News Oil Spill Contaminates Montana Town's Water, EP... (Jan '15) Jan '15 discuss locally 1
News How the Ebola crisis is like the BP oil spill (Oct '14) Oct '14 Jeff Brightone 1
Texas Oil Spill (Mar '14) Mar '14 Roblogger 1
News Crews clean up Texas oil spill, dozens ships st... (Mar '14) Mar '14 imagine a world 1
More from around the web