China Angered by Nobel Peace Prize Wi...

China Angered by Nobel Peace Prize Winner

There are 14 comments on the ABC News story from Oct 8, 2010, titled China Angered by Nobel Peace Prize Winner. In it, ABC News reports that:

Imprisoned Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize today, angering China which condemned the selection as a "desecration" and described Liu as a "criminal." In choosing Liu, the Nobel committee cited his efforts to use non-violence to demand fundamental human rights in his homeland.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ABC News.

“Don't be afraid of my Freedom”

Since: Sep 09

or your own

#1 Oct 8, 2010
Blasphemy, to bad China.
They really hate it when things don't go there way.
FWsouthsider

Baltimore, MD

#2 Oct 8, 2010
I believe this man deserves the Noble Prize far more then others who've received it (Obama, Gore, Arafat). So I give a thumbs up to the Nobel Committee this time. Keep up the good (honest work) and shun cheapening the Prize over political correctness anymore and reward the truly deserving.
Oh My

United States

#3 Oct 8, 2010
How come they are bitching? The praised obutthole when he won this useless award.
Miron

Warsaw, Poland

#4 Oct 8, 2010
If a guy just like this Obama who is responsible for death of tosuends of innocent people in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq just like another anti-peace activity like sanctions against Iran and apparent approaching to new war got nobel peace prize- then everybody can get this peace prize. Another candidatate was internet in this year.
It is insult for peace that such people just like for instance Obama are favoured. It is better to give all these money which are spent for such pigs for proper purposes just like aid for poor people.
abc

Canada

#5 Oct 8, 2010
they think they are equal to western democracies.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#6 Oct 8, 2010
Truly a deserving recipient.

china must understand that it is a dying dragon. You cannot mix free market business with communist society. The people will not accept that their labor is being exploited at the cost of their freedom. Their bosses grow fat and rich, while they struggle to feed their family on a bowl of rice? No, china has spelled its own doom when they let Nixon in all those years ago.
Slambo

United States

#7 Oct 8, 2010
Dying dragon. I like that. Dying from its poisons of its own making - chemical and political alike.
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#8 Oct 8, 2010
RACE wrote:
Truly a deserving recipient.
china must understand that it is a dying dragon. You cannot mix free market business with communist society. The people will not accept that their labor is being exploited at the cost of their freedom. Their bosses grow fat and rich, while they struggle to feed their family on a bowl of rice? No, china has spelled its own doom when they let Nixon in all those years ago.
Take your conjecture a step further.

One day the Chinese government will spread its wealth among the state and the standard of living in china will rise massively.

Right now china and the US have linked economies. They loan the US money and the US buys lots of chinese goods. Both countries drive each others economies and this is mutually beneficial.

Thanks to the low wages and government control of much of the finance in the country Chinas economy is expanding rapidly.

When China decides to spread the wealth, their rapid growth will slow considerably. Until then they'll keep growing and becoming more powerful.

All the time this is happening the USA is getting further and further into debt with china. China is letting it all rack up.

The second china spreads more of her wealth to her people they'll have far more spending power. That means a massive new market for the already strong Chinese economy. They wont need the market in the USA so much and the mutually beneficial times will be over.

At that time China can start calling in its loans, devaluing the US currency and enabling china to buy up large parts of the US economy. They will own you.

So you might not like the way china is acting at the moment but the fact is it's a great plan. Essentially the whole nation is investing for the future while the US increases its defecit and not looking to the future at all.
Deng

Chengdu, China

#9 Oct 9, 2010
THE NOBEL "PEACE" PRIZE HAS ALWAY BEEN A POLITICAL WEAPON WIELDED BY THE UNITED STATES RULERS.

Since: Dec 09

Islamabad, Pakistan

#10 Oct 9, 2010
This so called Peace Prize is always given on political bases by western counties ,that is also a alternate tool of interference and creating problems in other countries.

Since: Sep 08

Neon City Oh.

#11 Oct 9, 2010
Xiaobo wins Nobel!
China and the TeaParty are outraged.

#12 Oct 9, 2010
That is a great scenerio, but I dont see it playing out.
How exactly are they going to spread the wealth? Give everyone a huge raise? That would just drive up production costs, thereby putting the products out of reach for both china and any other market.

Will they just give everyine 10K? Great one time spending spree, but still no income to support continued spending.

Your also forgetting that china has billions of mouths to feed and a very poor ability to do it. Plasma tv's are nice, but not if you have to give up dinner to pay for it.

No, democracy is the only path that will save china from ruin and Xiaobo is really a hero not a villain.
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
Take your conjecture a step further.
One day the Chinese government will spread its wealth among the state and the standard of living in china will rise massively.
Right now china and the US have linked economies. They loan the US money and the US buys lots of chinese goods. Both countries drive each others economies and this is mutually beneficial.
Thanks to the low wages and government control of much of the finance in the country Chinas economy is expanding rapidly.
When China decides to spread the wealth, their rapid growth will slow considerably. Until then they'll keep growing and becoming more powerful.
All the time this is happening the USA is getting further and further into debt with china. China is letting it all rack up.
The second china spreads more of her wealth to her people they'll have far more spending power. That means a massive new market for the already strong Chinese economy. They wont need the market in the USA so much and the mutually beneficial times will be over.
At that time China can start calling in its loans, devaluing the US currency and enabling china to buy up large parts of the US economy. They will own you.
So you might not like the way china is acting at the moment but the fact is it's a great plan. Essentially the whole nation is investing for the future while the US increases its defecit and not looking to the future at all.

#13 Oct 9, 2010
Here is more usless truths about china

The Chinese leadership is feeling embattled. Its currency policies are under fire from Europe and the U.S., where Congress is threatening punitive legislation that some worry could set off a trade war. Territorial disputes recently flared anew with Japan and Southeast Asian neighbors. Meanwhile at home, the government is trying to keep rising property and living costs, wide income disparities and a debate among the elite over political reform from upending a transition to younger leaders two years from now.

Yeah, and now they have to fear a man they already have in prison.
7450 woot

Seattle, WA

#14 Oct 12, 2010

America Angered by the last so called Nobel Peace Prize Winner

no one pays attention anymore; this award USED to mean something

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Nobel Prize Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Malala, Satyarthi receive Nobel Peace Prize (Dec '14) Dec '14 Eleanor 2
News Malala, Satyarthi Receive Nobel Peace Prize (Dec '14) Dec '14 mjjcpa 1
News Tirole Wins Nobel Prize in Economics (Oct '14) Oct '14 Liberal forever 1
News 50 years after receiving Nobel Prize, do Martin... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Zombie Corpse Rental 1
News 17-year-old Malala Yousafzai becomes youngest t... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Amit 2
News Obama, Nobel Peace Prize Winner, Back on War Fo... (Aug '13) Jun '14 VeganTiger 7
News 3 Americans win Nobel Prize in Economics (Oct '13) Oct '13 A Random Walk 4
More from around the web