Coyote Killing Contest Sparks Outrage...

Coyote Killing Contest Sparks Outrage in New Mexico

There are 1270 comments on the ABC News story from Nov 17, 2012, titled Coyote Killing Contest Sparks Outrage in New Mexico. In it, ABC News reports that:

A gun store-sponsored competition in which hunters shoot and kill as many coyotes as they can has sparked outrage among activists in New Mexico who have called it a "heinous killing contest." Animal Protection of New Mexico posted a petition on its website, rallying against the contest, which is sponsored by Gunhawk Firearms of Los Lunas.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ABC News.

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#104 Nov 17, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
You never seen deer, blackbirds or vultures either, Churm. Do you really want us to believe that Arkansas had no animals until 1960?
I know someone who says the same thing about wolves... that he prefer the wolves gone and the coyotes return.
Jeez. Can't you people ever just be happy with what you have?
Can't you have an open mind and see what the ranchers go through??

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#105 Nov 17, 2012
Colorado wildlife officials asking for the publicís help in finding who shot a cow moose and her two calves in a subdivision between Granby and Grand Lake.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials say a hunter near Mountain Shadows Estates heard several shots Wednesday morning and later found the three animals had been shot in an empty lot in the subdivision. No one immediately approached the carcasses to claim responsibility.

The case is being investigated as a poaching incident.

People who illegally kill a big game animal and abandon the carcass face fines and a potential prison sentence, along with losses of hunting and fishing privileges.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/11/16/wildlif...

People take it upon themselves to kill animals for whatever reason they want. Then they blame prey shortages on the predators. This is disgusting and inexcusable.

“26.2”

Since: Feb 08

Santa Fe, NM

#106 Nov 17, 2012
I come from a family that ranched in San Miguel County. We shot coyotes that stalked or attacked our cattle. But we did not go out and massacre the coyotes, and certainly did not kill them for sport. It is a fact that coyotes eat mostly rabbits and mice. Kill too many coyotes and the rabbits and mice increase. It's all about balance.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#107 Nov 17, 2012
XENA 54 wrote:
<quoted text>
So are the poor animals in the range.. It's very heartbreaking to see a lamb or calf torn away from their mothers and killed by coyotes... Don't you think they were innocent as well?
Yes, they were innocent. But there is nothing wrong with predation-except in the human mind. Coyotes kill to survive and eat what they kill. They don't kill out of meanness. Why doesn't the farmer put the mothers with young in the shelter of the barn if coyotes are a threat?
Yall

Huntsville, AL

#108 Nov 17, 2012
Defiant1 wrote:
<quoted text>
----------
"And killing them DOES increase their population."
It does, how?.
are too dumb to be buttin in if you don't know anything about coyote behavior and organization.
wont

Huntsville, AL

#109 Nov 17, 2012
Defiant1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't count on Texas being a good place to live much longer.
.
your gene pool.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#110 Nov 17, 2012
XENA 54 wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't you have an open mind and see what the ranchers go through??
I do have an open mind. I have supported their right to protect their livestock, but not to the extent that they seek out animals to kill that have not been a threat to them and maybe never will be.

If ranchers all go through coyote predation on their calves, why don't they all have the same opinion on the solution? Some ranchers don't believe predators should be slaughtered wherever they are just because they exist.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#111 Nov 17, 2012
Lobo Viejo wrote:
I come from a family that ranched in San Miguel County. We shot coyotes that stalked or attacked our cattle. But we did not go out and massacre the coyotes, and certainly did not kill them for sport. It is a fact that coyotes eat mostly rabbits and mice. Kill too many coyotes and the rabbits and mice increase. It's all about balance.
Exactly. Thanks for chiming in.

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#112 Nov 17, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they were innocent. But there is nothing wrong with predation-except in the human mind. Coyotes kill to survive and eat what they kill. They don't kill out of meanness. Why doesn't the farmer put the mothers with young in the shelter of the barn if coyotes are a threat?
That's what we did and it made sense, but some ranchers have too many cattle to do that all the time..

I agree with Lobo though, but this is done on private land, so I understand both sides...

Are you totally against killings of Coyotes or as in this case a sport?? I have no problems with killing a coyote to save your livstock, but I'm not to sure about it becoming a sport of sorts.. I also think small farmers and ranchers keep coyotes under control on their own lands.. We did, with no problem..

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#113 Nov 17, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
I do have an open mind. I have supported their right to protect their livestock, but not to the extent that they seek out animals to kill that have not been a threat to them and maybe never will be.
If ranchers all go through coyote predation on their calves, why don't they all have the same opinion on the solution? Some ranchers don't believe predators should be slaughtered wherever they are just because they exist.
I totally understand your point..

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#114 Nov 18, 2012
XENA 54 wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally understand your point..
Thank you. I try to be reasonable and understanding. I've never lived their side of the issue, butI know I would defend my dogs if necessary. I just believe life is precious and killing should only be a last resort. When I see videos like this, I have a hard time understanding anyone wanting to go out and slaughter as many as they can. It's just sick.
Dr Freud

Northwich, UK

#115 Nov 18, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
When I mention penning them, I don't mean locked in cages with no place to move. Coyotes can't get through a chicken wire fence. That's what I have surrounding my half acre and no coyote has ever climbed it or gotten through.
It might interest you to know that coyotes have been witnessed climbing chainlink fences, and trees adjacent to fences in order to get on the other side.
Further yet, they will also burrow under fences.
Finally, if the fence isn't high enough, they will jump it.
Dr Freud

Northwich, UK

#116 Nov 18, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
"Coyotes are NOT native to your state."
That's not what the the very link you provided says!
"In addition to their NATURAL RANGE EXPANSION, coyotes have been illegally trucked in from western states and released"-(in Florida).
They indeed DID EXPAND NATURALLY into Arkansas and elsewhere.
Natural range expansion happens only when there is plentiful food around for that expansion to take place, and there are few natural predators.
Additionally, you neglect to consider that wolves, cats and bear are natural enemies of the coyote.
Once those natural predators where essentially wiped out, that led to the expansion of the coyote range.
So, in fact, the coyote didn't much range beyond the U.S. southwest before the European settlers arrived. Therefore, your assessment is incorrect.
Finally, coyotes were never historically recorded as having been seen in the Eastern and norther U.S. states prior to the 1960's.
So, if you desire to challenge my words, please do so with referable, and researchable material.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#117 Nov 18, 2012
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
It might interest you to know that coyotes have been witnessed climbing chainlink fences, and trees adjacent to fences in order to get on the other side.
Further yet, they will also burrow under fences.
Finally, if the fence isn't high enough, they will jump it.
I realize they can climb chain link fence. I watched my dog do it. That's why I have, and recommended, chicken wire fence. My dogs have never climbed it.
Dr Freud

Northwich, UK

#118 Nov 18, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
God, you talk like the depression was going on then. Do you really think if a hawk took a squirrel or rabbit that you would starve to death? There are PLENTY to go around. Sounds like you were really paranoid for no reason. Really...bring a disease to your livestock? What about the rodents that could bring disease to your livestock by eliminating the hawks that eat rodents? If you were that poor you could never trap fifteen acres worth of rodents. And putting poison out could kill the squirrels and rabbits you want to eat. Damn, there's that circle again.
You know? You come across as being extremely judgmental.
You have YOUR life, and others have THEIRS.
You'd be far more happier if you just let other live their lives as they see fit. If they aren't harming YOUR life in a real and measured way, then YOU really have no valid say in their matters.
And yes, I too treasure the wildlife, and just let it be as long as it isn't becoming a pest.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#119 Nov 18, 2012
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
You know? You come across as being extremely judgmental.
You have YOUR life, and others have THEIRS.
You'd be far more happier if you just let other live their lives as they see fit. If they aren't harming YOUR life in a real and measured way, then YOU really have no valid say in their matters.
And yes, I too treasure the wildlife, and just let it be as long as it isn't becoming a pest.
I try not to judge people. I'm aware I don't live in their shoes and I do try to understand their point of view. Actually, I like Churm and the way he thinks... in many other ways.

"You'd be far more happier"
I don't think I could be happier. Unless people started being kinder to animals. They have to live too.
Defiant1

Deer Park, TX

#121 Nov 18, 2012
wont wrote:
<quoted text>
your gene pool.
Just because you are the first one born in your family without a tail, you still don't have the brains to judge others.
Defiant1

Deer Park, TX

#122 Nov 18, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Coyotes have a structured family life. When humans mess with it, it throws off their normal breeding habits and you now have more coyotes breeding, rather than just the alphas, as it would normally be. It's explained further here. http://www.necn.com/12/10/11/Coyote-hunting-j...
I also learned that at a ranger lead program offered at Custer State Park in SD a few years ago. Humans have so many misunderstandings of wildlife. That'w why we mess things up when we start interfering. We think we know better, but usually we get it wrong.
Just look at the imbalance in Yellowstone after we eliminated the wolves. That's why they had to reintroduce them.
Thanks for asking.
I found this article that supports your argument. It seems that the coyotes do have a natural defense against extermination.

http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/details...

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#123 Nov 18, 2012
Defiant1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I found this article that supports your argument. It seems that the coyotes do have a natural defense against extermination.
http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/details...
That's why I support leaving nature be unless it involves our survival. It takes care of itself pretty well without us thinking we know better. I don't support introducing species in places they never were. Natural range expansions will happen as the land changes and as species need to find new territory.
Dr Freud

Northwich, UK

#124 Nov 18, 2012
XENA 54 wrote:
<quoted text>
So are the poor animals in the range.. It's very heartbreaking to see a lamb or calf torn away from their mothers and killed by coyotes... Don't you think they were innocent as well?
I get the impression that it's okay for animals to attack and kill other animals, but humans are supposed to be 'artificially' different.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sneaking into the U.S. from Mexico is tougher t... Mon Rico the Intellec... 2
News Police find 400 pounds of marijuana in cars mad... Jul '17 Lol 6
News Scientists predict a Gulf of Mexico 'dead zone'... Jun '17 Mate 1
News WTO ruling favors Mexico in US 'dolphin-safe' t... Apr '17 better call Saul 1
News Mexico says vehicle carrying radioactive materi... Apr '17 Auto know 1
News These robotics students were told - to go back ... Apr '17 Want No Chicos 1
News Mexico, U.S. will partner with or without Trump... (Sep '16) Apr '17 Johnboy 4
More from around the web