Trumped Up Charges?Mexico Making an E...

Trumped Up Charges?Mexico Making an Example Out of Marine, Lawyer Says

There are 113 comments on the Fox News story from Dec 14, 2012, titled Trumped Up Charges?Mexico Making an Example Out of Marine, Lawyer Says. In it, Fox News reports that:

A Marine languishing in a Mexican prison on what his supporters call a trumped up gun charge was made an example by an overzealous prosecutor in a case that begged for discretion, his lawyer said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox News.

Badtothebone

Bronx, NY

#64 Dec 20, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I was born and raised on Long Island and lived there for 53 years until a year ago, so I know what traffic is ilke there. And I worked at 1017 Montauk Highway in Shirley.
I work in Greenlawn, it takes me about 45 minutes to an hour each way to get there. Do you live in a residental neighborhood or do you have a place with wide open area? I always invision mid west areas as being wide open where you can run around naked yelling and screaming with no one to bother you.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#65 Dec 20, 2012
Badtothebone wrote:
<quoted text>
I work in Greenlawn, it takes me about 45 minutes to an hour each way to get there. Do you live in a residental neighborhood or do you have a place with wide open area? I always invision mid west areas as being wide open where you can run around naked yelling and screaming with no one to bother you.
I live in a small development in a small city of about 10,000 people. But there are large tracts of land to the south and west of me that are open, because they were supposed to build tract housing there, but abandoned the idea when the bottom fell out of the housing market.

Cotton is big here, so there are large cotton farms all around, with mountains in the distance. Cold here now tho.:( Sposed to go back up to 70 degrees by Saturday. The weather is certainly better than New York tho. The city is in the desert, and we've only had 5-1/2 inches of rain so far all year, and I would be surprised if it ever snowed here at all.
pedro the great

United States

#67 Dec 20, 2012
Badtothebone wrote:
<quoted text>
dirty old man
Concerned

Chihuahua, Mexico

#68 Dec 20, 2012
Here is one example of the corruption that I see almost daily here in Mexico.

Pirated items in Mexico are the norm. For instance when you see here Apostle, Hollister, Ferrari and other more expensive shirts and clothing worn in Mexico, I would guess that 90% are pirated. Trademarks from the USA. More theft.

My wife is working at the expo here in Chihuahua. Out of about 278 vendors 150 at least sell clothes. Out of those 150 booths, almost everything that is sold is pirated. If they did not sell pirated shirts and clothing they could not compete with the other companies. With the average weekly income people make they can buy only a few items at a time because they are so poor. But they come in mass to buy. Hard to walk through the isles at times.

The owner of my wife's business is one of her best friends. They buy the pirated clothes in Mexico and Guadalajara. They are approved and shipped in from these areas throughout Mexico. I am sure they pay higher ups in the government to get them too passed on all the way to their destinations.

Last night the Federal police showed up to the expo. These are the employees paid by the federal government based out of Mexico. They went from booth to booth and demanded 5,000 pesos or about 385 dollars from each vendor. Extortion money. They all had to pay it or the Federales said they would shut down their booth and take all their merchandise. That is about 54,000 dollars they split up among themselves for doing nothing.

A young guy that was working in a booth 2 doors down from where my wife was working was out in the parking lot smoking marijuana. Which by the way is legal in Mexico for personal use. Five federal agents followed him to his booth and said they were going to arrest him if he did not pay. My wife believes he had to pay $1,500 pesos so they would not take him in. More then he made in the whole week working 14 hour days for this big sale. Because of the sheer intimidation and threat he paid. They would have arrested him, beat him and then trump up charges.

I do not know of other businesses and people and how they were effected last night, but I am sure there were more. If you are a government official or employee in Mexico you literally are licensed to steel and do what ever you want.

In reality people who say Mexico is corrupt to not know a tenth of what goes on here. I am sure if they really knew Mexico would be known as the most corrupt country on the planet. Stuff like this does not make the news and for obvious reasons. It could get you killed or your business shut down forever if you complain.

It touches the people directly everyday and indirectly through the higher ups in Government, but in those cases even more severe because of their association with the cartels and mafia type syndicates.

The whole skeletal system in Mexico is corrupt from the manufacturers, to the vendors to the government. It is hard to play by the rules in Mexico. If you do, and you make good money you are extorted or kidnapped. Much of this money goes to government employees for looking the other way.

They had a meeting here in Chihuahua with the man that took down the Italian mafia to ask him what could be done to get the sames results he did. He said he had elite police that helped to do it. He said it could not happen in Mexico, because it is akin to the fox guarding the hen house. The people being paid to protect the people were the problem. That is why 91.8 percent of the people do not report crime here in Mexico.

People with badges in Mexico do very well! I really feel for the poor people in Mexico. Many are forced to do shady business and sell in Mexico because that is how the system works.

I laugh when I read about the Wal-mart debacle. That is exactly the way business is done in Mexico. You need to pay bribes to play in Mexico. I have and I am sure I will have to pay more over time. There is no escaping it. The Wal-mart debacle is just the tip of the iceberg here.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#69 Dec 20, 2012
Concerned wrote:
Here is one example of the corruption that I see almost daily here in Mexico.
Pirated items in Mexico are the norm. For instance when you see here Apostle, Hollister, Ferrari and other more expensive shirts and clothing worn in Mexico, I would guess that 90% are pirated. Trademarks from the USA. More theft.
My wife is working at the expo here in Chihuahua. Out of about 278 vendors 150 at least sell clothes. Out of those 150 booths, almost everything that is sold is pirated. If they did not sell pirated shirts and clothing they could not compete with the other companies. With the average weekly income people make they can buy only a few items at a time because they are so poor. But they come in mass to buy. Hard to walk through the isles at times.
The owner of my wife's business is one of her best friends. They buy the pirated clothes in Mexico and Guadalajara. They are approved and shipped in from these areas throughout Mexico. I am sure they pay higher ups in the government to get them too passed on all the way to their destinations.
Last night the Federal police showed up to the expo. These are the employees paid by the federal government based out of Mexico. They went from booth to booth and demanded 5,000 pesos or about 385 dollars from each vendor. Extortion money. They all had to pay it or the Federales said they would shut down their booth and take all their merchandise. That is about 54,000 dollars they split up among themselves for doing nothing.
A young guy that was working in a booth 2 doors down from where my wife was working was out in the parking lot smoking marijuana. Which by the way is legal in Mexico for personal use. Five federal agents followed him to his booth and said they were going to arrest him if he did not pay. My wife believes he had to pay $1,500 pesos so they would not take him in. More then he made in the whole week working 14 hour days for this big sale. Because of the sheer intimidation and threat he paid. They would have arrested him, beat him and then trump up charges.
I do not know of other businesses and people and how they were effected last night, but I am sure there were more. If you are a government official or employee in Mexico you literally are licensed to steel and do what ever you want.
In reality people who say Mexico is corrupt to not know a tenth of what goes on here. I am sure if they really knew Mexico would be known as the most corrupt country on the planet. Stuff like this does not make the news and for obvious reasons. It could get you killed or your business shut down forever if you complain.
It touches the people directly everyday and indirectly through the higher ups in Government, but in those cases even more severe because of their association with the cartels and mafia type syndicates.
The whole skeletal system in Mexico is corrupt from the manufacturers, to the vendors to the government. It is hard to play by the rules in Mexico. If you do, and you make good money you are extorted or kidnapped. Much of this money goes to government employees for looking the other way.
They had a meeting here in Chihuahua with the man that took down the Italian mafia to ask him what could be done to get the sames results he did. He said he had elite police that helped to do it. He said it could not happen in Mexico, because it is akin to the fox guarding the hen house. The people being paid to protect the people were the problem. That is why 91.8 percent of the people do not report crime here in Mexico.

tip of the iceberg here.
Sounds like Mexico is a "failed state". And I don't think Mexico is any friend to the U.S.
Concerned

Chihuahua, Mexico

#71 Dec 20, 2012
In all fairness I just talked to my wife again. They did not hit all the booths. Not the very small ones. they hit the ones that looked like they had money to pay. But you still get the big picture!

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#72 Dec 20, 2012
endemic corruption can destroy a society and produce a failed state. Lok at Afghanistand and Russia as examples as well as Mexico.

Want to put people to work with a "shovel-ready" project ? Hire all the former East German engineers who built the Berlin wall, and have them design a similar structure three times as wide, three times as high, and three times as deep as the Berlin wall, and have Americans with their shovels build it along our entire southern border, with .50 caliber machine gun emplacements and 40mm Bofors guns to defend it against the invading southern hordes.
ima

United States

#73 Dec 20, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like Mexico is a "failed state". And I don't think Mexico is any friend to the U.S.
And to think that both countries have tried to turn the country around and there are those that indicate that there aren't as many murders in Mexico and both countries' hard work is obvious in cities such as (Juarez) or so I hear and read although many from my home town (El Paso) refuse to go to check out the new changes....malls and night clubs, etc. These new changes done to draw tourism back to Juarez and of which the previous Calderon ordered all bad reports on murders, kidnappings, etc TO STOP. Concern is right about we people over here DON'T REALLY KNOW WHATS HAPPENING as that is the way their prez. wanted it. In fact he blamed the US reports on the atrocities going on in Mexico and our government's WARNING to our people to stay away from Mexico, claiming it did their economy too much harm. So even their journalists had to cease reporting all cartel battles and tortures and of course many journalists disappeared and later found tortured, killed. Every now and then I hear of someone going to Juarez but hardly ever anymore, many would go see dentists, or doctors over there cause it's cheaper but it really isn't worth it if there's a chance one may get robbed, held for ransom and not come back. I think Concern is the only one who says it best (truth) and doesn't hold back in telling it the way IT REALLY IS. Thanks, Concern if you read this post.
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#74 Dec 20, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
endemic corruption can destroy a society and produce a failed state. Lok at Afghanistand and Russia as examples as well as Mexico.
Want to put people to work with a "shovel-ready" project ? Hire all the former East German engineers who built the Berlin wall, and have them design a similar structure three times as wide, three times as high, and three times as deep as the Berlin wall, and have Americans with their shovels build it along our entire southern border, with .50 caliber machine gun emplacements and 40mm Bofors guns to defend it against the invading southern hordes.
Or to put it another way:

Please give my state trillions of dollars so I can get rich quick..........

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#75 Dec 20, 2012
ima wrote:
<quoted text> And to think that both countries have tried to turn the country around and there are those that indicate that there aren't as many murders in Mexico and both countries' hard work is obvious in cities such as (Juarez) or so I hear and read although many from my home town (El Paso) refuse to go to check out the new changes....malls and night clubs, etc. These new changes done to draw tourism back to Juarez and of which the previous Calderon ordered all bad reports on murders, kidnappings, etc TO STOP. Concern is right about we people over here DON'T REALLY KNOW WHATS HAPPENING as that is the way their prez. wanted it. In fact he blamed the US reports on the atrocities going on in Mexico and our government's WARNING to our people to stay away from Mexico, claiming it did their economy too much harm. So even their journalists had to cease reporting all cartel battles and tortures and of course many journalists disappeared and later found tortured, killed. Every now and then I hear of someone going to Juarez but hardly ever anymore, many would go see dentists, or doctors over there cause it's cheaper but it really isn't worth it if there's a chance one may get robbed, held for ransom and not come back. I think Concern is the only one who says it best (truth) and doesn't hold back in telling it the way IT REALLY IS. Thanks, Concern if you read this post.
I moved last year from New York to southern Arizona, and I won't go near the Mexican border, and would never consider crossing it either.
rider

Marquette, MI

#76 Dec 20, 2012
www.truthmove.org/content/operation-gladio/Ca... - Similar
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
The August 2, 1980 bombing of the Bologna train station which killed 85 people, is widely recognized as a Gladio operation. While it was initially blamed on the ...
Sirius

Celaya, Mexico

#77 Dec 20, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
For a while, I have also found appealing the "failed state Mexico" concept, specially when my country began to have a very corrupted and accomodating policy with US violent and unfair policies worldwide.

Today I have proof that some parts of Mexico are indeed failed, but that does not hold for the whole territory, not even the largest part.
Why do not start it like a State based project? The East German engeneers is not the best approach. Try the Israelies, they are doing projects like that today.

By the way, it seems that the trade between your State and Mexico last year was 500 Billion... not bad commerce with a "failed state".

https://www.azpm.org/p/top-news/2012/6/5/942-...

... but note that they had to close comentaries, so people cannot enter to say "let's invade Mexico", "let's kill the Mexicans", overlooking totaly what the article was about.

For me is OK if Arizona not only build that wall you propose. Let's be fair... since 8 years ago, in a Forum, I met some Sonorans that were very piss off, that the Mexican federal goverment didn't let himself be involved in Iraq. These Sonorans, claimed that to eat a Hamburger in a Mall of Phoenix was almost like going to heaven and who cares for killed "towelheads", women und children.

Now, these f+++ers are probably living in a shack after being kicked out of Arizona because of their skin color.(

Thank you, Foxy... thank you very much.) XD XD

I don't know if after the building of the wall, to cut the trade with Mexico and Arizona could be an option. That will be ok for me too.

Just, please, don't think that you could shoot your weapons into Mexican territory.

Regards.
Sirius

Celaya, Mexico

#78 Dec 20, 2012
Ah! Foxy, we already agreed that you could build your fence and put your 40 mm guns there, OK?.

But when I said "please don't shoot at Mexico territory", I meant this (so we understand us perfectly)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico%E2%80%93R...

Regards.
Concerned

Chihuahua, Mexico

#79 Dec 20, 2012
Sirius wrote:
<quoted text>
For a while, I have also found appealing the "failed state Mexico" concept, specially when my country began to have a very corrupted and accomodating policy with US violent and unfair policies worldwide.
Today I have proof that some parts of Mexico are indeed failed, but that does not hold for the whole territory, not even the largest part.
<quoted text>
Why do not start it like a State based project? The East German engeneers is not the best approach. Try the Israelies, they are doing projects like that today.
By the way, it seems that the trade between your State and Mexico last year was 500 Billion... not bad commerce with a "failed state".
https://www.azpm.org/p/top-news/2012/6/5/942-...
... but note that they had to close comentaries, so people cannot enter to say "let's invade Mexico", "let's kill the Mexicans", overlooking totaly what the article was about.
For me is OK if Arizona not only build that wall you propose. Let's be fair... since 8 years ago, in a Forum, I met some Sonorans that were very piss off, that the Mexican federal goverment didn't let himself be involved in Iraq. These Sonorans, claimed that to eat a Hamburger in a Mall of Phoenix was almost like going to heaven and who cares for killed "towelheads", women und children.
Now, these f+++ers are probably living in a shack after being kicked out of Arizona because of their skin color.(
Thank you, Foxy... thank you very much.) XD XD
I don't know if after the building of the wall, to cut the trade with Mexico and Arizona could be an option. That will be ok for me too.
Just, please, don't think that you could shoot your weapons into Mexican territory.
Regards.
It all starts at the top. If it did not they could put a stop to the other corruption. Look at how many of Calderons right hand men have been found to be dealing with the Narco's. The top guys dealing with corruption and fighting the Narco's. Right there in Mexico City. They stand next to him. The highest of the highest politicos next to the President himself. More are being caught and found daily. The problem is they got found out and some are used as scapegoats. But most are now rich and powerful and they are just put out to pasture to enjoy life. Ask on the street how many people think the President is corrupt here. They say they all are, this is Mexico. If I run into you one day and ask I will know I have run into sirius just from your comment. I would love to take a recorder out one day and ask that question and be able to post the answers. You need to convince the people in Mexico. But they know better then you. They are not dumb. But there is nothing they can do without being killed.

You are right about one thing. To just kill people because they come from another culture or country would beyond sick! I am talking about the innocent and good people of any country.
Badtothebone

Bronx, NY

#80 Dec 20, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in a small development in a small city of about 10,000 people. But there are large tracts of land to the south and west of me that are open, because they were supposed to build tract housing there, but abandoned the idea when the bottom fell out of the housing market.
Cotton is big here, so there are large cotton farms all around, with mountains in the distance. Cold here now tho.:( Sposed to go back up to 70 degrees by Saturday. The weather is certainly better than New York tho. The city is in the desert, and we've only had 5-1/2 inches of rain so far all year, and I would be surprised if it ever snowed here at all.
I like the idea of wide open areas because I like to shoot. I have to go upstate to my friends cabin to be able to do that without having to go to a restrictive shooting range. I remember my first trip to Alabama for a field service job. As the plane started its approach I thought their was snow on the ground from the way it looked out of the window. I had never seen cotton fields before since I'm a "city slicker" as I was referred to by the southern boys. Did you find it hard getting used to living where you are now? I think I would miss the seasons and the great selection of fine restaurants we have here in the NY area especially Long Island.
Badtothebone

Bronx, NY

#81 Dec 20, 2012
pedro the great wrote:
<quoted text> dirty old man
sexy senior citizen!
Badtothebone

Bronx, NY

#82 Dec 20, 2012
Badtothebone wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, I got judged spam, racy, and touching for writing this? What's wrong with working in Greenlawn?

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#83 Dec 20, 2012
Badtothebone wrote:
<quoted text>
I like the idea of wide open areas because I like to shoot. I have to go upstate to my friends cabin to be able to do that without having to go to a restrictive shooting range. I remember my first trip to Alabama for a field service job. As the plane started its approach I thought their was snow on the ground from the way it looked out of the window. I had never seen cotton fields before since I'm a "city slicker" as I was referred to by the southern boys. Did you find it hard getting used to living where you are now? I think I would miss the seasons and the great selection of fine restaurants we have here in the NY area especially Long Island.
Yes, I do miss Long Island a lot because I was born and raised there, lived there for more tahn 50 years, and owned my own home there for more then 25 years.

But the damn politicians there ahve made Long island UNAFFORDABLE for people of modest means, and the winter weather in New York was the last straw. So I moved so warmer climes. And since the population growth has been explosive here during the past 10 years, you meet plenty of people from New York, New Jersy, and other people on the East Coast.

If you go to Google Earth, and enter Coolidge, AZ you can loot at digital images of Coolidge and the surrounding areas to get afeel for the area.

The house I'm in is really beautiful, and the rent is cheap.

Here's a video on youtube of the house I'm in:

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#84 Dec 20, 2012
When i was in Arizona, i thought i could never get used to all the brownness and dullness of the vegetation...virtually no trees and very little green....you don't mind that?

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#85 Dec 20, 2012
Go Blue Forever wrote:
When i was in Arizona, i thought i could never get used to all the brownness and dullness of the vegetation...virtually no trees and very little green....you don't mind that?
I was living in Oro Valley (about 6 miles north of Tucson) from last December until this October. Beautiful town and very green with a lot of plam trees there. If you're in a populated area, it's very green. The only reason I didn't stay in Oro Valley like I wanted to, is that it's ratehr ritzy, and I couldn't afford a house there.:(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Solar Panel Again Stolen From New Mexico Boy's ... Jun 29 Dave Locklar 5
News Singer known from Mexico's 'The Voice' fatally ... Jun '16 bozo 1
News Singer known from Mexico's 'The Voice' fatally ... Jun '16 bozo 1
News Mexico's 'El Chapo' Likely to Be Prosecuted in ... Jun '16 Shore to Shore 1
News Protesters clash with police outside Trump rall... Jun '16 your 391
News Treasure hunters to gather for celebration in N... May '16 Parden Pard 1
News Mexico approves extradition to US of drug lord ... May '16 ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 1
More from around the web