Give Lance Armstrong another chance?

Give Lance Armstrong another chance?

There are 110 comments on the CNN story from Jan 16, 2013, titled Give Lance Armstrong another chance?. In it, CNN reports that:

CNN asked for views on whether disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong deserves another chance in light of his apologies to his charity, Livestrong, and his soon-to-be-aired interview with Oprah Winfre y, in which it's widely reported he admitted he used performance-enhancing drugs .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

rfirma1

Burbank, CA

#25 Jan 18, 2013
MD Conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical mindset of today's society; "Waaaa Waaaa He did it too. Waaa Waaa"
Does not change the FACT Armstrong is a L-O-S-E-R!
LMAO!
jump to many conclusions?
rfirma1

Burbank, CA

#27 Jan 18, 2013
MD Conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
Name one
<<<Typical mindset of today's society;>>>

this is one.......what makes you think i initimated or the rest of society says that his use of ped's is justified? i never claimed he did it because everybody else does it.......he did it to remain competitive. right or wrong.....makes no difference the reason. it's still wrong according to the rules.
rfirma1

Burbank, CA

#28 Jan 18, 2013
MD Conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical mindset of today's society; "Waaaa Waaaa He did it too. Waaa Waaa"
Does not change the FACT Armstrong is a L-O-S-E-R!
LMAO!
besides.......he may be a loser but to put it bluntly......on his worse day......i'm positive he can still out perform you in any athletic endeavor.
Eleanor

Atlanta, GA

#29 Jan 18, 2013
Jesus said to them....Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Yes I think Lance Armstrongshould be forgiven. He has owned up to his "flawed nature". as it is he will pay the rest of his life for this mistake when he sees the look of shame in his wife's childrens, and everyone elses eyes.

“2014 TDF”

Since: Mar 09

Boca Raton, FL.

#30 Jan 18, 2013
MD Conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post is factually inaccurate. Lance never won any Tour De France. Check the OFFICIAL RECORD.
There is as much a difference between an athlete being stripped of his winnings, after winning them, as it is for a criminal defendant to be found innocent as opposed to not guilty.

Lance won 7 titles. That he lost them by violating USADA and UCI policies is a separate animal.

“2014 TDF”

Boca Raton, FL.

#31 Jan 18, 2013
MD Conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you hear Fed dropped their case against LA? Latest report I read is that they are still considering taking action. No decision has been reached. He could face felony criminal charges.
In what planet do you reside? Why do you think USADA proceeded with their complaint?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/46257529/ns/spo...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/monteburke/2012/0...

http://bicycling.com/blogs/boulderreport/2012...

stating in pertinent part: "BirotteĀ’s press release left little doubt that the government was walking away from the case, saying he was 'closing an investigation into allegations of federal criminal conduct by members and associates of a professional bicycle racing team owned in part by Lance Armstrong.'

No charges will be filed."
MD Conservative wrote:
Are you referring to the case from last year? That was based on LA perjuring himself. LA is most certainly at risk of federal charges being brought against him.
And just from what in my post did you infer that my position is he'll not face additional charges? I stated he's more likely than not to NOT go to prison as there is more than a plethora of compelling arguments in mitigation of sentencing.
MD Conservative wrote:
The other claim that statute of limitations have expired is also false. In cases where perjury is to commit fraud has no limitation. So he is at risk of that too for every case he won in the past. It can cost him upwards of $20 million.
The Statute of Limitations applicable for perjury is governed by the statute of limitations of the underlying case in which the alleged perjury occurred.

Whether Lance lied to the USADA is irrelevant to a federal charge of perjury. The USADA has no criminal jurisdiction and perjury is a criminal offense.

Do you really think Lance went on Oprah against the advise of his attorneys, especially if there was the slightest iota of possibility that he would be setting himself up for a criminal charge of perjury?

C'mon! Lance is a doper and a fraud; but he's not stupid.
rfirma

Royal Oak, MI

#35 Jan 19, 2013
MD Conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
"oh c'mon! the sport hasn't been drug free and clean since the 1960's when eddie merycx ruled the sport....and even he tested positive for banned substances at least three times. "
You have the mentality of a 4th grade school yard girl. "Waaaa Waaa He did it first. Waaaa Waaaa"
You can deny it was a feeble attempt to justify his use all you want Sport.
my my....you are an abusive ignorant cuss. If you had the iq of a newt you might have been able to discern the difference between justification of drug use to the rea lity of drug use and how all attempts to clean up the sport has been futile to this point.
And no......even today.....lance, without the benefits of ped's......would wipe up the floor with your inept and less than mediocre athletic abilities.

“2014 TDF”

Boca Raton, FL.

#36 Jan 19, 2013
MD Conservative wrote:
<quoted text>He doped dumba$$ he was a LOSER

And yes he was stripped. OFFICIALLY he did not win. He rode a bike in the race, true. But since he was a doper his record and win is not official.
You backpedal a lot; don't you?

You posted; "Lance never won any Tour De France."

Thanks for playing.
Blacktigershark

Edmonton, Canada

#37 Jan 19, 2013
rfirma1 wrote:
<quoted text>
besides.......he may be a loser but to put it bluntly......on his worse day......i'm positive he can still out perform you in any athletic endeavor.
So, basically, you are saying that Lance can chase the dragon better than MD Conservative, because on Lance's worst day, he would have only been able to snort shards of crystal meth, in order to keep him from SERIOUSLY JONESING for the EPO, the testosterone, the steroid juice and the blood boosters?
Good call, rfirma1...problem is, you would have to consider what Lance considers an 'athletic endeavour', compared to what MD Conservative considers an athletic endeavour. MD Conservative may consider hiking to the top of Kilimanjaro an athletic endeavour...Lance likely considers filling vials of his transfused blood into pyrex pots an athletic endeavour! If it were me, Lance can win at ALL his crackpot sports he wants to, rfirma1...I don't even have to compete with a druggie like him. He may still believe he is a winner, however TRUE intellectuals know that he is nothing but a LOSER!
Blacktigershark

Edmonton, Canada

#38 Jan 19, 2013
Eleanor wrote:
Jesus said to them....Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Yes I think Lance Armstrongshould be forgiven. He has owned up to his "flawed nature". as it is he will pay the rest of his life for this mistake when he sees the look of shame in his wife's childrens, and everyone elses eyes.
He hasn't FULLY atoned for his sins. Nobody has to 'cast stones' at Lance. You do realize that a person cannot be forgiven if they don't repent ALL their transgressions, and that there is no place in the afterlife for those that want to embrace their sins, right Eleanor? Jesus may have spoken to the mob, but GOD is the one that has the final say on who lives and who dies, in regards to their actions and their faith.

I suggest that Lance pray, and then come clean with EVERYTHING to the public. Pride/vanity is one of the seven deadly sins. Jealousy/envy is another deadly sin. Greed is yet another. Lance has not truly let go of these deadly sins yet, Eleanor...when he does, THEN you can start talking about other people forgiving him!

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#39 Jan 19, 2013
The new 'Petraeus', is available for exploitation.
Blacktigershark

Edmonton, Canada

#40 Jan 19, 2013
Conservative Democrat wrote:
<quoted text>
You backpedal a lot; don't you?
You posted; "Lance never won any Tour De France."
Thanks for playing.
You also like to play with words and technicalities.

You are basing Lance's achievements on his podium appearances, rather than looking at the END result and THE WHOLE PICTURE!

That's just like saying that Ben Johnson won gold in the Olympics.

He DID cross the line BEFORE another noted drug cheat, Carl Lewis, right CD?

I see why there is such scrutiny that comes behind American athletes on the world stage now! SMH!

http://theislandjournal.wordpress.com/2012/08...
Graveldog

Newmarket, Canada

#41 Jan 19, 2013
turtle wrote:
what on earth are these people thinking!!
Give Lance Armstrong another chance? how can you even consider it, the man has been ruthless in his quest for money, fame, and winning at all costs.
Do not let the man try to sucker everyone again!! because there are those people out there who will support him whatever, they are blind to his wrong doings and just fing crazy and nuts.
Yes Lance was an arrogant asshole, bully, control freak and many other negative things you can call him.
At the same time he is the modern day Robin Hood - leader of Livestrong, humanitarian and survivor.

You take that driven character who grew up in Texas with some talent, a death sentence with cancer - reinject him in the 90's doping culture. His cocky attitude and dope boost started it all. America was ready for a new Sports HERO. fame fortune and many other influences started to drive the train faster and faster. The advisors coming on board fueled the ego, the culture and expectations made him a bigger asshole (at all costs). Early on he lost his way on the runaway train. He started to believe he was invincible.
His former team mates rode his coat tails when they were part of the program. They also enjoyed the spoils. When they were rightly or wrongly discarded then they cry foul. Yes some were Lance''s doing but also they must take personal responsibility also.
Oprah interview was a first step. Opponents scream it was not enough of an apology. Former team mates (Hamilton/Andreau) say it was emotional on Lance to be in such a position others say he is cold and not remorseful.
for over a decade Lance had developed as the character he is today. It will take time for him to change.
He cannot just go cold turkey and become a new person overnight. Hints of truth have been offered by Lance but it is not the Oprah venue to show all on a TV interview.
Lance will need more time to say sorry, his future actions will define him (good or bad). There is a chance for him to redeem his character(optimism), however glimmers of that JERK attitude may resurface ( pessimist).
Forgive him or not - he is human. It is just that he had lost his way. Can he find his way back to becoming respected???

lance is guilty - he has to pay the price
But offer him a small bit of empathy - let him show us that he can change.???
It is still too early to tell if he is really sorry. All the CNN, ESPN, BICYCLING, VELONEWS is condemning him with every minute detail in the Oprah interview. But it is only the first step.

Lance helped Basso's family member through cancer, Lance helped Brian Holme former rider through bowel cancer.
Yes there was also the bad which is the main focus in the media - bullied, sued and run over the likes of Hamilton, Landis, the Andreau's, E. Oreilly...etc just to mention the top. But this is the tip of the iceberg.

Step back and look at the big picture. The money, celebrity status, power recognition fueled the ugly side of the past decade (plus).

Lance must do his time as a criminal for doping and bad character. Will he rehabilitate???

Respectfully submitted,

Graveldog

Not defending Lance for his actions / but allow him some time to change and take more steps in the right direction
Graveldog

Newmarket, Canada

#42 Jan 19, 2013
According to Tyler Hamilton and Frankie Andeau interviews Lance showed remorse emotions.

Yes he skirted some questions in the Oprah interview
But now he has to approach USADA and WADA to help them clean up the sport.

He will have to get through all his legal troubles also.
Gus

Vancouver, Canada

#43 Jan 19, 2013
Blacktigershark wrote:
<quoted text>
He hasn't FULLY atoned for his sins. Nobody has to 'cast stones' at Lance. You do realize that a person cannot be forgiven if they don't repent ALL their transgressions, and that there is no place in the afterlife for those that want to embrace their sins, right Eleanor? Jesus may have spoken to the mob, but GOD is the one that has the final say on who lives and who dies, in regards to their actions and their faith.
I suggest that Lance pray, and then come clean with EVERYTHING to the public. Pride/vanity is one of the seven deadly sins. Jealousy/envy is another deadly sin. Greed is yet another. Lance has not truly let go of these deadly sins yet, Eleanor...when he does, THEN you can start talking about other people forgiving him!
...what GOD,big Kahuna?ain't no such creature!
Gooza

Hornsby, Australia

#44 Jan 19, 2013
Lance is not sorry he cheated, he's sorry that the public didn't give up on finding out the truth.
He should rot in jail, he should feel the fallout of his actions.
He's been the king for so long, now his life should end as the man how destroyed sport.
He talks like he's been to rehab, what an act.
I think the only thing he feels sorry for is that his children will be judged their whole life on his actions.
Forget about sport Armstrong kids, maybe music.
I hope everybody sue's him.
Everybody that bought his book or any merchandise should return it for refunds.
HE HAS TO PAY for he's lies!
Somebody should set up a website for everybody to return their cheater goods, then when it reaches a couple of million, get a lawyer and sue he's sorry arse for money returns.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#45 Jan 19, 2013
Contrition is hard to define on the internet, and the dictionary is only a start. I think OWN peeped his game, the networks are afraid to touch it and he may have better luck with Ms. Walters. The remorse was that he was caught. OWN, peeped the curtain.
The king

Slovenia

#46 Jan 19, 2013
Lance deserves another chance...
Lance is still a hero for many athlets, and i am one of them. I am basketball player and i just want to say I will never give up on trainings, when its hard for me...I just think about Armstrong and that just keeps me running.
Some things should stay hidden because they make more harm then good to everybody...this is one of those things...
Lance Armstrong ONCE A HERO ALWAYS A HERO!! <3

“2014 TDF”

Boca Raton, FL.

#47 Jan 19, 2013
Blacktigershark wrote:
<quoted text>You also like to play with words and technicalities.

You are basing Lance's achievements on his podium appearances, rather than looking at the END result and THE WHOLE PICTURE!

That's just like saying that Ben Johnson won gold in the Olympics.

He DID cross the line BEFORE another noted drug cheat, Carl Lewis, right CD?

I see why there is such scrutiny that comes behind American athletes on the world stage now! SMH!

http://theislandjournal.wordpress.com/2012/08...
"You are basing Lance's achievements on his podium appearances, rather than looking at the END result and THE WHOLE PICTURE!"

You could not be further from the truth.

I'm not sure if you've read my first post on this thread, but I'm basing his achievements on similar experiences.

I'm not a professional cyclist, but I know what it takes to train for a long ride and/or a race. So maybe you could say I'm a bit biased, but that would be a stretch.

I don't condone what Lance did, and much less because he first lied about it. In fact, I agree with the sanctions. But, fact is, cycling is, quite plausibly, the most demanding sport. And the amount of doping these guys have done, did not turn them into super athletes. It merely enhanced, and not by a great margin, skills they already possess.

There are many ways to "dope" legally that afford the same results, albeit through a process that takes longer to yield results. Taking large doses of all B complex vitamins and Iron, plus taking echinacea, natural testosterone boosting homeopathic supplements, a delicate balance of boron and other minerals, and breathing pure O2 prior to a long ride or a race, can get similar results. Illegal doping only yields results faster.

Lance stated he didn't dope in the '09 TDF. Assuming, for the sake of argument he told the truth this time, he finished 3rd, not having doped and being 4 years older. A reasonable inference can be made that even if he hadn't doped between '99 and '05, he could have still won.

BTW, the end result isn't always accurate testament of the whole picture.
Robbie

Hornsby, Australia

#48 Jan 19, 2013
The king wrote:
Lance deserves another chance...
Lance is still a hero for many athlets, and i am one of them. I am basketball player and i just want to say I will never give up on trainings, when its hard for me...I just think about Armstrong and that just keeps me running.
Some things should stay hidden because they make more harm then good to everybody...this is one of those things...
Lance Armstrong ONCE A HERO ALWAYS A HERO!! <3
The only reason he could keep training so hard was the roids. Wake up!
Was a HERO, now he's a dream killer, murder of personal achievement and clean athletes dreams.
GO TO JAIL, do not pass go, do not collect your NiKe pay check.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Lance Armstrong Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lance Armstrong: Interview with Oprah Winfrey d... (Jan '13) Apr '14 Carly Jane 2 2
News Lance Armstrong tweets that he's returned Olymp... (Sep '13) Apr '14 Carly Jane 2 2
News Lance Armstrong wants DOJa s false-claims suit ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 My Opinion_El Pas... 2
News Lance Armstrong urges judge to dismiss governme... (Jul '13) Jul '13 My Opinion_El Pas... 2
News Federer, Serena Williams say Lance Armstrong le... (Jan '13) Jul '13 My Opinion_El Pas... 9
News Feds lay out case against Lance Armstrong (Apr '13) Apr '13 My Opinion_El Pas... 2
News The Women Who Unraveled the Lance Armstrong Dop... (Oct '12) Apr '13 My Opinion_El Pas... 50
More from around the web