Citizens revokes hurricane-proofing discounts

Jul 21, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Citizens Property Insurance's push to inspect homes and revoke discounts for hurricane-resistant features has drawn fire and questions.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3

“have seen the years,”

Since: Mar 10

and the slow parade of fears"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

We got our policy today with the adjustments made from the 2nd inspection with the 'new' inspector. We have a 2400 sq ft CBS home including the florida room which is under a/c. We lost 8 of the discounts we had been getting since we started with them and had just had a new inspection a year prior to this current one.
Our roof is hibbed, except for the fla. room, which is flat. Since the florida room roof makes up more than 10% of the total roof (16%), they have now deemed our entire roof as 'flat'.
We spent $10,000 ten years ago to have aluminum panels fitted to the windows with tracts and bolts and wingnuts to secure them. We still have the receipt from the company who installed them but since the panels no longer have the labels on them they don't comply, so we are listed as having no protection for the 'openings' on the house.
Our agent checked the company's file on our house and she said Citizens had numerous errors in the statistics for the house such as # of bedrooms, sizes of rooms and types of rooms. She did appeal the new premium with all the documentation needed to prove what had been done but we are still waiting to hear what the outcome of that will be.
From what they did to us, we can definitely see people losing homes left and right due to not being able to get homeowners' insurance.
JJFLORIDA

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

I Think That Is All B/S.

The INSURANCE Co. Changes The Rules All The Time, I Think It's Just A $$$ MONEY $$$ GRAB.

Just So The Homeowner Has Spend Spend Spend More Money.

Just My 2 Cents, But I Bet I'm Right

P. S. I Do Not Trust The Inspector's
What Do They Really Know 0
Infact They Don't Have A Clue
End Of Story

“have seen the years,”

Since: Mar 10

and the slow parade of fears"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Judged:

JJFLORIDA wrote:
I Think That Is All B/S.
The INSURANCE Co. Changes The Rules All The Time, I Think It's Just A $$$ MONEY $$$ GRAB.
Just So The Homeowner Has Spend Spend Spend More Money.
Just My 2 Cents, But I Bet I'm Right
P. S. I Do Not Trust The Inspector's
What Do They Really Know 0
Infact They Don't Have A Clue
End Of Story
I totally agree with you but this is the only company that will insure us because of where we live. We still have 5 years left on our mortgage so we have no choice. They know that, so they can and will do anything they want to us and millions of others in South Florida.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Top Stories - Hurricane Discussions

Search the Top Stories - Hurricane Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Tropical storm Arthur forms, forecast to become... Jul 2 southern pride 3
carribean hurricane disaster (Dec '13) Dec '13 Kenjie 1
Obama: Wea re recovering from Hurricane Sandy (Oct '13) Nov '13 Le Jimbo 23
Gulf Coast residents brace for Tropical Storm K... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Don 1
Tropical storm, hurricane slam Mexico (Sep '13) Sep '13 Dam 1
At least 15 dead in Mexico as tropical storm hi... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Jesse Pinkman 1
Hurricane evacuation maps updated on East, Gulf... (Jul '13) Jul '13 El ameen 2
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••