Gunman dead, 1 teacher wounded in ele...

Gunman dead, 1 teacher wounded in elementary school shooting in Conn.

There are 1567 comments on the The Washington Post story from Dec 14, 2012, titled Gunman dead, 1 teacher wounded in elementary school shooting in Conn.. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

A shooting at a Connecticut elementary school Friday left the gunman dead and at least one teacher wounded and sent frightened pupils into the parking lot.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#761 Dec 20, 2012
Leroy Jenkins wrote:
<quoted text>
Come try and get my guns cracker. You'll get shot down fool.
I don't deal in stolen goods.
just another guy

Marshfield, MO

#762 Dec 20, 2012
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, just hold your breath and wait....you'll go blue too....
Apology accepted.

Since: Oct 08

#763 Dec 20, 2012
Just shows how the media is only in it for a story...facts and true be damned...they fit right in with the obuttwipe administration...you know the most transparent administration in history.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#764 Dec 20, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I post on Topix.
You please strange men in rest area bathrooms.
I can't keep up with you, honny.
This obsession of yours with gay sex acts and male reproductive organs needs attention. Seek help.
Quackenfuss P Gunnutt

Middletown, CT

#765 Dec 20, 2012
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>You might want to read it...it's mainly about establishing a militia, againest attack from outside....
Mainly?

Here's the Amendment.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Read the last 14 words slowly. Know them. Understand them. Respect them.
No you are

Trenton, NJ

#769 Dec 20, 2012
Cooter Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I'll keep my guns. Hell, tomorrow, I'll go buy more. And I'll stock pile ammo. Enough for my family and me to defend ourselves against anyone who will try to take our guns. There are 60,000 other people in my town doing the same thing. Bring your UN Army. We're prepared for a fight.
Where do you live? I want to be sure to never go there.
Very concerned

Arnold, MO

#770 Dec 20, 2012
Both of you read the whole damn thing. Militia and the people , not one or the other.
downhill246

West Palm Beach, FL

#773 Dec 20, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Assault weapons.
Moving the goalposts, donglicker?

You are getting so senile I didn't think you could remember what goal posts are, flamer.
downhill246

West Palm Beach, FL

#774 Dec 20, 2012
yup wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. The last so-called “ban” had far too many loopholes by the time the NRA and their allies in Congress got done eviscerating the bill - to the point of being almost meaningless. I doubt that gun law reform advocates will settle for that kind of nonsense this time.
Problem is the US constitution does not allow ex post facto laws so the gun grabbers have a problem taking away weapons and magazines that were quite legal when purchased. As an example, twenty drivers get tickets in the mail on Saturday for doing 45 in a 55 MPH zone on Tuesday because they lowered the speed limit to 40 on Thursday.
downhill246

West Palm Beach, FL

#775 Dec 20, 2012
yup wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the first 4 words. They have great bearing and meaning on all the words that follow in that statement. There is a very good reason they appear first and foremost in the statement.
Not according to an English language expert.
Roy Copperud, retired professor of journalism at the University of Southern California and the author of American Usage and Style: The Consensusdiscusse the languageof the Second Amentment. The recently deceased professor was on the usage panel of the American Heritage Dictionary, and Merriam Webster's Usage Dictionary frequently cites him as an expert. Copperud's fifth book on usage, American Usage and Style: The Consensus, has been in continuous print from Van Nostrand Reinhold since 1981, and is the winner of the Association of American Publishers' Humanities Award.

The Unabridged Second Amendment
[Schulman:(1) Can the sentence be interpreted to grant the right to keep and bear arms solely to "a well-regulated militia"?;]

[Copperud:](1) The sentence does not restrict the right to keep and bear arms, nor does it state or imply possession of the right elsewhere or by others than the people; it simply makes a positive statement with respect to a right of the people.

[Schulman:(2) Is "the right of the people to keep and bear arms" granted by the words of the Second Amendment, or does the Second Amendment assume a preexisting right of the people to keep and bear arms, and merely state that such right "shall not be infringed"?;]

[Copperud:](2) The right is not granted by the amendment; its existence is assumed. The thrust of the sentence is that the right shall be preserved inviolate for the sake of ensuring a militia.

[Schulman:(3) Is the right of the people to keep and bear arms conditioned upon whether or not a well-regulated militia is, in fact, necessary to the security of a free State, and if that condition is not existing, is the statement "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" null and void?;]

[Copperud:](3) No such condition is expressed or implied. The right to keep and bear arms is not said by the amendment to depend on the existence of a militia. No condition is stated or implied as to the relation of the right to keep and bear arms and to the necessity of a well-regulated militia as requisite to the security of a free state. The right to keep and bear arms is deemed unconditional by the entire sentence.

[Schulman:(4) Does the clause "A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State," grant a right to the government to place conditions on the "right of the people to keep and bear arms," or is such right deemed unconditional by the meaning of the entire sentence?"]

[Copperud:](4) The right is assumed to exist and to be unconditional, as previously stated. It is invoked here specifically for the sake of the militia.

Case closed.
rider

Marquette, MI

#776 Dec 20, 2012
www.tcpalm.com/.../letter-nra-gun-lobby-appar...
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
Mar 4, 2011 – Letter: NRA apparently supports arming terrorists. As reported in the May 11, 2010 issue of the Palm Beach Post, it amazes me that the NRA ...
Box

London, KY

#777 Dec 20, 2012
This is being discussed and cussed all over the net. I am glad to see the "kneejerk" folks have calmed down and realized some of the most stringent gun laws exist where the shooting took place.

Here is a decent discussion on guns and laws pertaining to ownership.

http://www.nedthetoothpick.com/viewtopic.php...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#778 Dec 20, 2012
Quackenfuss P Gunnutt wrote:
<quoted text>
Mainly?
Here's the Amendment.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Read the last 14 words slowly. Know them. Understand them. Respect them.
It totally pertains to the MILITIA.....even you should get that....I'm not for strict gun control, but don't lie about how it's worded....

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#779 Dec 20, 2012
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>It totally pertains to the MILITIA.....even you should get that....I'm not for strict gun control, but don't lie about how it's worded....
It's the way you perceive it. Not the way scholars and lawmakers have used it.

United States

#780 Dec 20, 2012
Bullpies, to bad for you we can read.

It pertains to the militia and the people as two separate entities, period.

United States

#781 Dec 20, 2012
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not according to an English language expert.
Roy Copperud, retired professor of journalism at the University of Southern California and the author of American Usage and Style: The Consensusdiscusse the languageof the Second Amentment. The recently deceased professor was on the usage panel of the American Heritage Dictionary, and Merriam Webster's Usage Dictionary frequently cites him as an expert. Copperud's fifth book on usage, American Usage and Style: The Consensus, has been in continuous print from Van Nostrand Reinhold since 1981, and is the winner of the Association of American Publishers' Humanities Award.
The Unabridged Second Amendment
[Schulman:(1) Can the sentence be interpreted to grant the right to keep and bear arms solely to "a well-regulated militia"?;]
[Copperud:](1) The sentence does not restrict the right to keep and bear arms, nor does it state or imply possession of the right elsewhere or by others than the people; it simply makes a positive statement with respect to a right of the people.
[Schulman:(2) Is "the right of the people to keep and bear arms" granted by the words of the Second Amendment, or does the Second Amendment assume a preexisting right of the people to keep and bear arms, and merely state that such right "shall not be infringed"?;]
[Copperud:](2) The right is not granted by the amendment; its existence is assumed. The thrust of the sentence is that the right shall be preserved inviolate for the sake of ensuring a militia.
[Schulman:(3) Is the right of the people to keep and bear arms conditioned upon whether or not a well-regulated militia is, in fact, necessary to the security of a free State, and if that condition is not existing, is the statement "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" null and void?;]
[Copperud:](3) No such condition is expressed or implied. The right to keep and bear arms is not said by the amendment to depend on the existence of a militia. No condition is stated or implied as to the relation of the right to keep and bear arms and to the necessity of a well-regulated militia as requisite to the security of a free state. The right to keep and bear arms is deemed unconditional by the entire sentence.
[Schulman:(4) Does the clause "A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State," grant a right to the government to place conditions on the "right of the people to keep and bear arms," or is such right deemed unconditional by the meaning of the entire sentence?"]
[Copperud:](4) The right is assumed to exist and to be unconditional, as previously stated. It is invoked here specifically for the sake of the militia.
Case closed.
Yes case closed , thank you for this.
just another guy

Marshfield, MO

#782 Dec 20, 2012
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>It totally pertains to the MILITIA.....even you should get that....I'm not for strict gun control, but don't lie about how it's worded....
Dishonest on your part. You try to leave out "the right of the people". It has a dual purpose.

Location hidden

#783 Dec 20, 2012
La Santa Muerte wrote:
<quoted text>
This obsession of yours with gay sex acts and male reproductive organs needs attention. Seek help.
Wipe your chin.

I'm not judging you, dear, just asking you to clean up the mess.

Location hidden

#784 Dec 20, 2012
Skuttlebutt wrote:
Just shows how the media is only in it for a story...facts and true be damned..
The facts are: a killer took a NRA-approved assault weapon into a school and using NRA-approved large capacity ammo clips walked up and down the aisle and shot children at point blank range- some as many as eleven times- and the NRA solution to this is to make it easier for more people to get more guns.

Location hidden

#786 Dec 20, 2012
Big Bad John wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know what you're talking about. You weren't there. You don't know the facts. The media got it all wrong.
They didn't get it all wrong.

Let me know if the twenty children aren't really dead, I would love to come back and apologize.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Gunman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News LA cops fatally shoot man near CNN Hollywood af... (Feb '17) Feb '17 Pessimistic1 7