Gunman dead, 1 teacher wounded in elementary school shooting in Conn.

Dec 14, 2012 Full story: The Washington Post 1,567

A shooting at a Connecticut elementary school Friday left the gunman dead and at least one teacher wounded and sent frightened pupils into the parking lot.

Full Story
WTF

Virginia Beach, VA

#43 Dec 14, 2012
voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
So you want to turn schools into more of a prison.
If it takes keeping some nut job or terrorist out of the school to harm the kids, yes.

Since: Sep 10

Alhambra, California

#44 Dec 14, 2012
Here we have yet another young man turning into a murderous, evil traitor and killer. I think that what produces these deranged young men is a social system that treats them as disposable garbage.

Gun control schemes will not stop this. There have been large death tolls in China by the same sort of behavior, done with knives by disaffected young men.

Our society must find a better way to integrate everyone into the system as productive people. That especially includes young men. You do not see women doing this for one reason: women get all kinds of safety nets in our culture. Men don't. If you don't think this is true, visit your local Skid Row and see almost all of the homeless are men.
questioner

Llano, TX

#45 Dec 14, 2012
Robert wrote:
We need to start securing our schools I guess, if you are not a student or teacher you really don't need to be there. No more depending on signs that says all visitors must register with the office.
May are may not work every time ...
A turning point

Fairmont, WV

#46 Dec 14, 2012
carmella60 wrote:
<quoted text>
Arrested? really? Who is going to know the criminal HAS a gun until he uses it? Will the criminals be "afraid"? Maybe the law abiding citizens will give up their weapons and hope they don't ever need to defend themselves or their family. I can see it now.........law abiding Americans give up all their guns and the criminals don't! Yep, that will make us all safer! You however will probably roll over and play dead when your family/friends are threatened. It's people like you that think that we will be safer when only the criminals, who don't care about "laws" will be armed. Why not hang a sign on your front door and announce to the public you home is unarmed and you won't fight back if threatened? Sheesh. buy a clue. 18 children dead and no way to defend them. That makes so much more sense.
If guns are illegal then anyone found with one can be arrested. When I go out here in WV I see people with guns on their hip everywhere. If they couldn't have them, then I would know when to be worried. You are ignorant. You don't even care that these kids were killed. You are concerned with your guns. SICK SICK SICK
A turning point

Fairmont, WV

#47 Dec 14, 2012
WTF wrote:
<quoted text>
If it takes keeping some nut job or terrorist out of the school to harm the kids, yes.
So, if it keeps the kids safe, can we have stricter gun laws in this country?

Since: Sep 10

Alhambra, California

#48 Dec 14, 2012
WTF wrote:
Instead of sending billions overseas. We need to start spending that money here in the US on schools and the student's safety.
Another thing: Every school needs at least one armed security guard, with specific instructions to engage any killer like this with immediate deadly force. Such guards will not cost anywhere near the salary paid to a teacher, at least not in the area where I live.

Unfortunately, our schools now pay huge money to administrators, teachers, and pensions, but student security is sorely lacking.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#49 Dec 14, 2012
NOTHING will be done about it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Everyone will cry & bitch & piss & moan about gun control or psychos access to automatic weapons or large gun clips etc, etc, etc.

It'll be liberals v conservatives, Dems v Repubes, gun nuts v gun ban nuts, etc, etc.

TV will cover it 24/7 for a few days, analyzing everthing ad nauseum, until the next sensational news story comes along and then they'll cover that 24/7 for a few days.

But in the end, NOTHING will be done to prevent another shooting like this, because nothing CAN be done to prevent another shooting like this.

GUARANTEED in another year or two or five or ten, there will be ANOTHER mass shooting, and we'll go through the same outrage/shock/suprise/sadness/ etc, etc.

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#50 Dec 14, 2012
A turning point wrote:
<quoted text> If guns are illegal then anyone found with one can be arrested. When I go out here in WV I see people with guns on their hip everywhere. If they couldn't have them, then I would know when to be worried. You are ignorant. You don't even care that these kids were killed. You are concerned with your guns. SICK SICK SICK
Just because they would be illegal wouldn't mean that someone wouldn't have one. You just wouldn't see it. Do people walk down your street smoking a crack pipe?
WTF

Virginia Beach, VA

#51 Dec 14, 2012
A turning point wrote:
<quoted text> So, if it keeps the kids safe, can we have stricter gun laws in this country?
At this point in the US and how many guns there are out there, I don't believe more laws will keep this from happening. The shooter was from NJ, where it is illegal to possess an assault rifle, but he still managed to obtain one.
I do believe that there should be some restrictions on gun ownership and what type of firearms.
Right now we can affect change to make our schools more safe to prevent this from being an every other month occurrence.
Columbine happened in 99, then Va Tech, but what have we not done everything we need to do make our schools more secure.
The US needs to study how the Israelis have dealt with this after there school massacre in 2008.
WTF

Virginia Beach, VA

#52 Dec 14, 2012
Christopher Keller wrote:
<quoted text>
Another thing: Every school needs at least one armed security guard, with specific instructions to engage any killer like this with immediate deadly force. Such guards will not cost anywhere near the salary paid to a teacher, at least not in the area where I live.
Unfortunately, our schools now pay huge money to administrators, teachers, and pensions, but student security is sorely lacking.
I would say more than one. Just like fire drills, schools need to start having active shooter drills.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#53 Dec 14, 2012
Gary wrote:
27 dead including 18 children
The shooter is a cinch for the National Rifle
Association's "Gunman of the Year" award.
More guns the merrier.
Now 20 children.
WTF

Virginia Beach, VA

#54 Dec 14, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Everyone will cry & bitch & piss & moan about gun control or psychos access to automatic weapons or large gun clips etc, etc, etc.
It'll be liberals v conservatives, Dems v Repubes, gun nuts v gun ban nuts, etc, etc.
TV will cover it 24/7 for a few days, analyzing everthing ad nauseum, until the next sensational news story comes along and then they'll cover that 24/7 for a few days.
But in the end, NOTHING will be done to prevent another shooting like this, because nothing CAN be done to prevent another shooting like this.
GUARANTEED in another year or two or five or ten, there will be ANOTHER mass shooting, and we'll go through the same outrage/shock/suprise/sadness/ etc, etc.
It happened in 99 Columbine and 2007 Va Tech. When will we learn?
But we could take steps to make schools harder to attack and keep the death tolls down.
After 9/11 the US ramped up security at airports and since then we have not had anymore passenger airliners flying into buildings.
The US needs to take the same initiative with school security.
Where do we get the money?
Stop sending it to countries whose populace hates our a$$.
A turning point

Fairmont, WV

#55 Dec 14, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
I bet your wrong. 20 dead 5-10 year old kids massacred in America. This is not your average shooting. This one breaks hearts. Really destroyed everyone's soul today.
voluntarist

United States

#56 Dec 14, 2012
WTF wrote:
<quoted text>
At this point in the US and how many guns there are out there, I don't believe more laws will keep this from happening. The shooter was from NJ, where it is illegal to possess an assault rifle, but he still managed to obtain one.
I do believe that there should be some restrictions on gun ownership and what type of firearms.
Right now we can affect change to make our schools more safe to prevent this from being an every other month occurrence.
Columbine happened in 99, then Va Tech, but what have we not done everything we need to do make our schools more secure.
The US needs to study how the Israelis have dealt with this after there school massacre in 2008.
Well columbine was a government operation.

Location hidden

#57 Dec 14, 2012
Spike wrote:
This is why democrats should'nt be allower to own uns
Your keyboard has contracted your speech impediment.

And for politicizing this tragedy, gofuckyourself.
A turning point

Fairmont, WV

#58 Dec 14, 2012
lost-cause wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because they would be illegal wouldn't mean that someone wouldn't have one. You just wouldn't see it. Do people walk down your street smoking a crack pipe?
Coiuld you go buy crack right now? Do you know where to find it? How could a 20 year old lunatic find a gun dealer? It would not be an easy task. Especially if the sentence for selling illegal guns were automatic life in prison.

Location hidden

#59 Dec 14, 2012
Spike wrote:
I bet he was a anti-God democrat. And if he was we will never hear anymore about him or this
Drop dead.

Your Truly,
God.
Cat74

Palatine, IL

#60 Dec 14, 2012
If one person in that school, beside the demented shooter, had been armed only the shooter would be dead.
questioner

Llano, TX

#61 Dec 14, 2012
WTF wrote:
<quoted text>
The Mercaz HaRav massacre, also called the Mercaz HaRav shooting, was an attack that occurred on 6 March 2008, in which a lone Palestinian gunman shot multiple students at the Mercaz HaRav yeshiva, a religious school in Jerusalem, Israel, after which the gunman himself was shot dead.

The Ma'alot massacre[1] was a terrorist attack in 1974 which included a two-day hostage-taking of 115 people which ended in the deaths of over 25 hostages. It began when three armed Palestinian terrorists of the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine[2] entered Israel from Lebanon. Soon afterwards they attacked a van, killing two Israeli Arab women while injuring a third and entered an apartment building in the town of Ma'alot, where they killed a couple and their four-year-old son.[3] From there, they headed for the Netiv Meir elementary school, where they took more than 115 people (including 105 children) hostage on 15 May 1974, in Ma'alot. Most of the hostages were teenagers from a high school in Safad on a Gadna field trip spending the night in Maalot. The hostage-takers soon issued demands for the release of 23 Palestinian militants from Israeli prisons, or else they would kill the students. On the second day of the standoff, a unit of the Golani Brigade stormed the building. During the takeover, the hostage-takers killed the children with grenades and automatic weapons. Ultimately, 25 hostages, including 22 children, were killed and 68 more were injured.

So, off the top of your head what can we learn from these school killings?
carmella60

Chatsworth, GA

#62 Dec 14, 2012
A turning point wrote:
<quoted text> If guns are illegal then anyone found with one can be arrested. When I go out here in WV I see people with guns on their hip everywhere. If they couldn't have them, then I would know when to be worried. You are ignorant. You don't even care that these kids were killed. You are concerned with your guns. SICK SICK SICK
Actually, I don't own a gun. That doesn't stop me from wishing there had been someone at the school who WAS armed, that could have given this monster a shot to the head that could have saved many of those children. It is obvious our schools need protection, our children need protection. Expecting nut jobs, sicko's and criminals to worry about being arrested while carrying a gun or committing a crime is what is ignorant. Criminals will always find ways to get guns. Knowing that robbery is a crime doesn't stop robbery. Taking away the victims ability to protect themselves will only make the criminal more apt to commit the crime.

These children lost their lives because there were no protections in place to keep them safe. And until we can find a way to keep guns from the criminals, our schools should have an armed officer on duty!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Gunman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Suspect in shooting rampage had been deported t... Oct '14 swizzler 1
Couple hurt in Kansas City rampage succumb to i... Sep '14 Black Pansters 3
Three fatal stabbing victims in Santa Barbara r... (May '14) Jun '14 N8 the Grrr8 39
Vegas rampage victims honored, eulogized as heroes Jun '14 Yep2 32
Santa Barbara Rampage Victim's Family Hopes He ... Jun '14 drive by media 1
Paul Ciancia, LAX shooting suspect, charged wit... (Nov '13) Nov '13 national whistleb... 2
Who is behind the Washington Navy Yard rampage? (Sep '13) Oct '13 chomikuj 16

People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE