Gunman dead, 1 teacher wounded in elementary school shooting in Conn.

Dec 14, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Washington Post

A shooting at a Connecticut elementary school Friday left the gunman dead and at least one teacher wounded and sent frightened pupils into the parking lot.

Comments
381 - 400 of 1,567 Comments Last updated Jul 29, 2013
Village Mystery

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Judged:

For all the mindless repeaters - here is what one of your handlers said after the Virginia Tech massacre - of course after a few "gun control" remarks. So now you can go around and repeat this too since you have been given permission to do so.

"Reports that Cho had been taking antidepressants once again turn the spotlight on the uneasy question of what role these powerful medications might have played in yet another campus massacre.

It's the same bloody-morning-after question I've been asking since 1998, when we learned 15-year old Oregon school shooter Kip Kinkel, who opened fire in his school cafeteria, had been on Prozac. Nearly ten years -- and numerous school-shooters-on-prescriptio n-meds -- later, we're still waiting for answers.

Now let me make it perfectly clear that I am NOT saying that antidepressants are what caused Cho to go off the deep end and kill 32 people and then himself....What I AM saying is that it is absurd -- and incredibly irresponsible -- for our leaders, and our culture, not to be fully investigating the correlation between antidepressants and manic/suicidal behavior.

Despite disturbing evidence of drug-induced reactions, the number of children being given mood-altering drugs continues to soar. America now has over 8 million kids on such drugs.

Eli Lilly, the maker of Prozac, has vehemently denied numerous claims that the drug causes violent or suicidal reactions. But the company's own documents admit that "nervousness, anxiety, insomnia, inner restlessness (akathisia), suicidal thoughts, self mutilation, manic behavior" are among the "usual adverse effects" of the medication. And a clinical trial found that Prozac caused mania in 6 percent of the children studied.

Can there be any doubt that Cho was exhibiting many of these adverse effects during his reign of terror in Blacksburg? His rambling, multi-media diatribe seems like a textbook example of manic behavior. The question is, was his manic behavior purely the result of a sick mind or was drug-induced psychosis part of the toxic psychological mix?

We don't know. But we do know that one school shooter after another was on prescription drugs. Kip Kinkel was taking Prozac. Columbine killer Eric Harris was taking Luvox. Red Lake Indian Reservation shooter Jeff Weise was taking Prozac. James Wilson, who shot 2 elementary school kids in Greenwood, South Carolina, was taking anti-depressants. Conyers, Georgia school shooter T.J. Solomon was on ritalin. Is this just a coincidence?

Again, we don't know. But here are some of the questions we need answers to:

1. It's been reported by the New York Times that Cho was on prescription medications. Which ones? Who prescribed them? How long had he been taking them?

2. If the drugs were prescribed when he was admitted to the New River Community Services center near Virginia Tech in December 2005, which doctor kept refilling his prescriptions? And what was the diagnosis?

3. What kind of medical and/or psychological follow-up was there? Or was Cho one of the many people put on antidepressants without a thorough and ongoing monitoring of the results and side effects?

America's blogs and op-ed pages are teeming with discussions about the impact Monday's carnage will have on America's relationship with guns. It's well-past time to also embark on a national discussion about the potentially deadly side effects of our pill-for-every-ill culture.

And for the discussion to really begin, we need answers to all these questions. The lives of our children could be riding on the answers."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arianna-huffing...
zef

Hemet, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
A genuine assault weapon is a hand-held, selective fire weapon. In other words it's capable of firing in either an automatic or a semiautomatic mode depending on the position of a selector switch. These kinds of weapons are heavily regulated by the National Firearms Act of 1934 and are further regulated in some states. Not one genuine assault weapon has ever been used in a school shooting.
Now the left wing definition of an assault weapon starts with a slingshot with the ability to launch 4 ounce pebbles at the minimum rate of one every four seconds. Some left wing definitions of assault weapons include anything possessed by a customer that is considered offensive to other customers while having a latte at Starbucks.
So you think I am being tortured with colon restriction devices because I choose to wear eye protection while in Starbucks or other places of business?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Judged:

Doctor My Eyes wrote:
<quoted text>
No question about it. I totally agree with you, as usual.
Seems they would'nt be the primary cause, but in combinaton with many other factors....i'm just certain they have a negative effect....
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I find the James Madison quote a nice sentiment, but irrelevant to the conversation. Self-preservation does not imply that everyone have a firearm, especially the deranged.
Your interpretation of the second amendment is judgemental to say the least. It simply does not say what you are concluding.
I agree that the deranged should not own weapons of any sort.
How does one do that? As to the rest of your post the courts have said the right to bear arms is an individual right and the last time I checked just about every state allows the concealed carry of firearms to one degree or another. This has been accomplished independent of the 2nd Amendment. Further the courts have hinted that the 2nd Amendment should be incorporated under the 14th Amendment meaning all states would then have to recognize ccw permits issued in other states.
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Judged:

zef wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think I am being tortured with colon restriction devices because I choose to wear eye protection while in Starbucks or other places of business?
Why don't you just buy Jockey shorts one size larger?
Voluntarist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for the English lesson. So?
You stated that people assemble individually.
Antidepressants violence

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

obamaisafake wrote:
<quoted text> Mass shooters are usually mentally ill and will commit crimes like this with or without drugs/meds. In the past, we kept them seperated from society...now they are mainstreamed in our schools and live in our neighborhoods. This kind of thing will happen if they are free to roam.
School shootings go hand in hand with the psychiatric drugging of school children to make them sit still and shut up.

These kids are MADE mentaly ill.

The following are reports of teens committing acts of school violence during an 18 year period from 1988-2006 (footnote 3), beginning only one year after the first SSRI antidepressant was approved for the U.S. market for adult use only http://cegant.com/commentary/school-shootings...

There are also some youtube videos that point this out:

School Shootings and Psychiatric Drugs . http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Judged:

downhill246 wrote:
Further the courts have hinted that the 2nd Amendment should be incorporated under the 14th Amendment
They haven't.

And SCOTUS has time and time again upheld gun control laws and they will continue to do so.

Americans have had enough of this sh!t. Look for new legislation in January in states around the US.
obamaisafake

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Judged:

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The children weren't killed by a video game.
Exactly but exposure to graphic and violent content does in fact desensitize them. Since exposure to it is during a vulnerable time in their development, it could cause damage to the pysche. Video games can almost be compared to second hand smoke.

Certain video games are almost a kind of abuse especially an the electrical abnormality is caused by exposure.
obamaisafake

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

when an electrical abnormality is caused by exposure
obamaisafake

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
ummm.. putting your rant aside, this shooter was pulled from public school and his mother home schooled him.
Yes, but he WAS in public school and for quite some time. Enough time to give reason for him to go back and kill innocent children.
zef

Hemet, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you just buy Jockey shorts one size larger?
What does the size of my underwear have to do with sadistic tyrants torturing me with colon restriction devices? Or are you admitting that you are using children as an excuse to torture your victims?
zef

Hemet, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

obamaisafake wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, but he WAS in public school and for quite some time. Enough time to give reason for him to go back and kill innocent children.
You really see nothing wrong with sadistic tyrants using children as an excuse to torture their victims with colon restriction devices?
The Boston Tea Party of December 16, 1773, took place when a group of Massachusetts Patriots, protesting the monopoly on American tea importation recently granted by Parliament to the East India Company, seized 342 chests of tea in a midnight raid on three tea ships and threw them into the harbor.
Mark

Ammerzoden, Netherlands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Judged:

Antidepressants violence wrote:
Was the shooter taking psychiatric drugs ?
The Physicians' Desk Reference lists the following adverse reactions (side effects) to antidepressants among a host of other physical and neuropsychiatric effects. None of these adverse reactions (side effects) is listed as Rare.
Hostility
Paranoid Reactions
Manic Reaction (Mania, e.g., Kleptomania, Pyromania, Dipsomania, Nymphomania)
Hypomania (e.g., poor judgment, over spending, impulsivity, etc.)
Abnormal Thinking
Hallucinations
Personality Disorder
Amnesia
Agitation
Psychosis
Abnormal Dreams
Emotional Lability (Or Instability)
Alcohol Abuse and/or Craving
Confusion
Delusions
Sleep Disorders
Akathisia (Severe Inner Restlessness)
Discontinuation (Withdrawal) Syndrome
Impulsivity
http://ssristories.com/ lists the drugs the other school shooters were taking.
Here is a video The TRUE SOURCE of RANDOM & MASS SHOOTINGS and VIOLENCE . http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Was the latest school shooter taking the drugs ?
This may well be a contributing factor. The problem is this goes for any drug or treatment. It is not well known, but on average drugs seem to help in 35% of the cases, do little to noting in 55% of the cases and have an adverse in 10% of the case.

The fact that something is found to be effective does not mean it will be for you in particular, you may seriously suffer. One of the thinks science is slowly recognizing is that there is no cure for all.

Even something like physical exercise has very different effect on different people. For 10% of the people is detrimental! https://www.youtube.com/watch...

So drugs work for many people but can have very adverse effect on others. But it is the same with almost anything in life. Whether you will allow or disallow guns too will both have positive and negative effects and it will be very personal too.

We should move away from this overly simple binary thinking in with we seek single causes. The idea that the root of evil is either left or right, is one of them.

Why do we see these people do things we have not seen before? It probably is a combination of reasons:
- mental problems
- drugs use
- conditioning the mind with violent games ans movies
- breakdown in social relations
- easy access to and practice with weapons
- age related depression
- etc.

Drug use maybe one of them, but may also be a symptom and the underlying cause being the mental problems. Luckily a fair percentage of people (I was told as 25-40%) do not take the drugs they are prescribed, but simply hide that fact. So the fact that someone is officially on drugs does not mean he is taking them.

Access to weapons is not the cause in itself, but it may be effective in breaking the chain. But that is not the reason why I for gun control. We should not base measures on fluke incidents and extremes.

Guns are device specially targeted as wounding and killing people. That is in itself is a good reason not to make them widely available. And as we can see in computer games and movies it is surrounded by a culture heralding violence. It is a poison of the mind. But like any other addict people will defend their addiction.

We live in society of incredible abundance and creates thrill seekers looking for extremes. Killing people virtually in games can easily become an addiction. At some point people start to dream of doing for real. The same happens with paedophiles fantasizing on having sex with minors, it fuels their desires. People underestimate the power of these fantasies. I am pretty sure that these shooters have fantasized a lot before they actually do it.

Whether something should be forbidden or not needs a broad support in society. If you create rules people detest and break you unnecessarily create offenders. A civilized, respectful discussion about these things should be done. Alas it seems that too many people only want to politicize questions. It is a real pity Ron Paul left.
McGruff

Rineyville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Judged:

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>Gosh.

I feel there is a stronger correlation between the availability of assault weapons - such as the one used by the shooting - then computer games.

So as far as priorities go, I would put between the availability of assault weapons - such as the one used by the shooting - then computer games.

And that the hold that special rights groups- such as the NRA- have over state legislatures has to end.

The day before this happened, Michigan passed a law legalizing the carrying of weapons into schools.

The majority of Americans are FED UP WITH THIS CR&P!
hey cupcake he didn't use a rifle. He used two pistols. And there isn't really anything called an assault weapon cupcake. A semi auto rifle that looks like a military rifle is no different than a semi auto rifle that looks like a hinting rifle. They work the same exact way cupcake. If your daddy hadn't left because your mum was a drunk you may know that. In fact I don't know of many school shoots that included a do called assault rifle. In fact there are very few crimes committed with the so called assault weapons. It just doesn't happen in the real world. Maybe in your fairy land cupcake.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

obamaisafake wrote:
<quoted text> Exactly but exposure to graphic and violent content does in fact desensitize them.
Not as much as seeing someone shot dead by a assault weapon.

Here's a thought: start with the real weapons and work your way back to the video games.
McGruff

Rineyville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Judged:

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>Not as much as seeing someone shot dead by a assault weapon.

Here's a thought: start with the real weapons and work your way back to the video games.
what assault weapon cupcake?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
hey cupcake he didn't use a rifle.
Open your mouth and swallow, that is what you are good at, Kneepads.
Your boyfriend has been banging against your forehead a little hard, it seems.
(quote)
Every child killed at Sandy Hook was in first grade
By Kevin Roderick | December 15, 2012 4:59 PM

All 26 of Adam Lanza's victims at the school in Newtown, Connecticut were shot multiple times with a long gun of some sort, officials said today. The victims were first graders, ages six and seven, and six female staffers. Lanza's mother Nancy, who was shot and killed at the home she shared with her son, did not work at the school. Adam Lanza's connection to the school remained unclear on Saturday. He killed himself at the school, for a total of 28 deaths.

The principal and the school psychologist were killed as they tried to approach the gunman and protect students.
(clip)
McGruff wrote:
McGruff
Elizabethtown, KY
Mum was drunk.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Judged:

McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
what assault weapon cupcake?
Swallow, Kneepads.

It's your only talent.
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Judged:

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
They haven't.
And SCOTUS has time and time again upheld gun control laws and they will continue to do so.
Americans have had enough of this sh!t. Look for new legislation in January in states around the US.
Really?

States v. Lopez(1995).
SCOtUS rules the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 is unconstitutional.

District of Columbia v Heller(2008)

The DC handgun ban and the trigger-lock requirement (as applied to self-defense) violate the Second Amendment. The District’s total ban on handgun possession in the home amounts to a prohibition on an entire class of “arms” that Americans overwhelmingly choose for the lawful purpose of self-defense.

McDonald v Chicago (2010)

Supreme Court struck down two restrictive handgun laws in Chicago, Ill. and Oak Park, a nearby suburb.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••