Connecticut School Shooting Update: One gunman dead, one teacher injured at elementary school

Full story: CBS News 217
NEWTOWN, Conn. - A law enforcement source tells CBS News that one gunman is dead at the scene of a shooting at a Connecticut elementary school Friday morning. Read more
Lord have mercy

Delphos, OH

#173 Dec 16, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
You're hilarious! You need to grow up yourself. We aren't in grade school.
"Hey, you guys. You need to get these horrible people! Here's the link!"
I agree ! The folks of Newtown need to gang up on this thread AND report it in to the moderator ! I know of several that have reported it and nothing has been done. There are a few that post on a regular basis from this area that are the most heartless of individuals Ive ever heard of. Sad to admit im from the same state as them ! But as I said, a few bad apples dont ruin the whole barrel ! My heart and souls lies with those who are affected by this horrible tragedy. I know first hand what its like to not only witness the tragedy of losing someone very close to me, but also the sick grieving process that I still go through many years after the fact.
Anonymous

Pico Rivera, CA

#174 Dec 16, 2012
Lord have mercy wrote:
<quoted text> I agree ! The folks of Newtown need to gang up on this thread AND report it in to the moderator ! I know of several that have reported it and nothing has been done. There are a few that post on a regular basis from this area that are the most heartless of individuals Ive ever heard of. Sad to admit im from the same state as them ! But as I said, a few bad apples dont ruin the whole barrel ! My heart and souls lies with those who are affected by this horrible tragedy. I know first hand what its like to not only witness the tragedy of losing someone very close to me, but also the sick grieving process that I still go through many years after the fact.
You agree that you sound like an idiot trying to "report people"?!

It's a free country, you fool. You post what you want and others will post what they want.

If you don't like what is written on that thread, don't visit it.

If you believe that thread should be "moderated", don't be stupid enough to wave a flag on the 4th of July. You obviously don't believe in the freedom it's supposed t represent.

Since: Jan 12

Quitman, AR

#175 Dec 16, 2012
This is just one more subject that needs to be included in gun-control laws being discussed in Washington DC and across the nation. Let me share my first-hand experience related to the topic. I am an Air Force Veteran. Since I left the Air Force, I have enjoyed the virtual hobby of Flight Sims on my computer. Back in the year 2001, I saw the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000 appear on Walmart shelves. At the time I was unable to purchase one. About a week later, right after the 2001 September 11th attacks on the World Trade Center, I went back into Walmart to purchase one of those Flight Sims and the shelves were empty of them. I asked the clerk when they would be getting any more and she said the store was ordered to pull the MS Flight Sim 2000 off the shelves and do not restock them because they included the World Trade Center Towers built into the scenary and they did not want to cause any further influence in such crime. Later I was able to purchase the newer version of MS Flight Sim 2002 which does not have the World Trade Center Towers built into the scenary. Now I said all that to say this....I, like many of you , am aquainted with several young people within my community ranging from about 10 years old up to their early 20s who spend countless hours day and night in front of some of the most violent video games immaginable, repatedly over and over virtually blowing people away on those video screens, getting an enormous addictive high from such entertainment. These young people are as addicted to these games as with tobacco, or drugs, or any other mind-controlling substance available . Late into the night these people can be found immersed in this form of destructive pass-time. And I can assure you, when they finally do lay their heads down on their pillows to go to sleep...IT ISN'T VISIONS OF SUGARPLUMS DANCING IN THEIR HEADS THEY SEE WHEN THEY CLOSE THEIR EYES !" Just hearing the description of how the Connecticut gunnman was dressed and armed gives a clear indication that he too, had been influenced by such graphic entertainment. I don't care how many millions of dollars are spent each year on these video games, A curse be upon this nation if you don't take immediate action to have these video games immediately removed from all retail shelves, including Pawn Shops as well as major retail chaines. I would plead with the American public, as well as our Law-makers to take immediate action in this direction to remove one more MAJOR negative influence on the young minds of our citizens. The problem is real, and your actions in this direction will make a significant impact ! Please pass this thread along to other readers and do your part. Thank You.
So sad

Littleton, CO

#176 Dec 16, 2012
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not here to psychoanalyse you though you sound like you are talking to your shrink. I am here to correct false or misleading anti-gun arguments and yours came across that way. Our culture today is mass producing narcissistic sociopaths and society doesn't want to deal with the root causes of its modern cult of Frankensteins. Society finds it easy to scream gun control which is equivalent to putting a band aid on melanoma and thinking the problem is solved. It is not.
ok, so you see yourself as a self-appointed moderator, First of all, I am not giving false or misleading gun arguments - I'm giving MY OPINION of what should or could be done and what I would like to see done. You may note that the original post you responded to was not directed at any poster in particular, it was a statement that I made to express my feelings about this incident and what could POSSIBLY be looked at in order to prevent them from happening again. That may or may not matter to you. Any reasonable and intelligent person would understand that there has to be change - and it starts with the voice of the people. Why in god's name do we need to own assault weapons? They aren't used for hunting. Why did this mother find it necessary to own weapons to this extent, especially when there was evidence that this kid was troubled and could have access to them? Why were they so easy for her to obtain? Why wasn't the home situation looked at more closely before she was able to obtain them. In your own words, we have more than our share of sociopathic monsters. Do you understand the definition of a sociopath? In part, they have more than adequate cunning, deceptive abilities - it would not be hard for them to fool the process as it is and to obtain guns for evil purposes.
There will be compromise on this issue, but the compromise must swing toward an over-abundance of caution. Our children, families, friends are too precious to lose just for the sake of satisfying the need of a few citizens who like to self-appoint themselves to things.
Perhaps as insight to why my feelings are so strong and why I demand such drastic action, you might want to take a closer look at my location. I have no need to speak to a shrink, I'm perfectly capable of verbalizing my feelings and thoughts. I understand where they come from and I have no problem putting my feelings aside in order to deal with more calm and mundane matters at hand. These are not calm and mundane days. They are emotional and frightening and insecure and threatening days. There are plenty of injuries that require much more than a bandaids in our future if we don't do something now.
So sad

Littleton, CO

#177 Dec 16, 2012
robert wrote:
I just saw on the news where they said that the gunman did not shoot him self until he found out that police were closing in on him fast if that is so then that means he took the COWARDS way out.
he was a coward the second he picked up a gun and turned it on his own mother.
robert

Chattanooga, TN

#178 Dec 16, 2012
So sad wrote:
<quoted text>
he was a coward the second he picked up a gun and turned it on his own mother.
Agreed.
NOTthechildren

Bryn Mawr, PA

#179 Dec 16, 2012
robert wrote:
I just saw on the news where they said that the gunman did not shoot him self until he found out that police were closing in on him fast if that is so then that means he took the COWARDS way out.
I saw that as well. The talking shrinks said these mass murderers know before hand they will be shot dead by or shoot themselves. My thing is if they want to commit suicide just do it. Don't kill innocent people/commit such a hienious act to motivate yourself to commit suicide. I wonder if child killers like this Adam Lanza kill themselves out of shame, fear of authority or consequences. But if they are committing suicide to avoid something that tells me they are "thinking" .

***Completely different idea some would consider extreme alert.

Perhaps one possible solution to these mass public killings is to make suicide more acceptable. Take the stigma and legalities away from it. Many of the oriental/Asian cultures consider suicide a valid option and they/their culture and societies have been around alot longer than most Western societies. I'm not saying assist but simply remove the stigma or shame of it. Hopefully some of these public mass murderers like child killer Adam Lanza would've taken themselves out before they took their rage out in public.

Since: Dec 12

Chisago City, MN

#180 Dec 16, 2012
I truly feel bad for responsible gun owners out there because people who commit these heinous acts are ruining it for them. The American people are not going to put up with this situation much longer. I think strict gun control laws will come out of this.
So sad

Littleton, CO

#181 Dec 16, 2012
AndyM138 wrote:
I truly feel bad for responsible gun owners out there because people who commit these heinous acts are ruining it for them. The American people are not going to put up with this situation much longer. I think strict gun control laws will come out of this.
I agree, to a point. But regardless of how "responsible" a gun owner may be, there is still that plausible scenario where someone who is not responsible, not mature, not sane - can conceivably lay their hands on the guns of this "responsible" gun owner, no matter what precautions may be taken. We see it every day in the news, about some kid who found the gun owned by a person who swears it was securely locked up, and then proceeds to accidentally shoot and kill themselves, their friends or a family member or take the gun to their school, church or other place and do the unthinkable. Unfortunately, it is not going to be easy to guarantee that the sane, responsible person who obtains the gun, remains sane and responsible. Life happens, people change. Why not err on the side of caution?
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#182 Dec 16, 2012
So sad wrote:
<quoted text>
ok, so you see yourself as a self-appointed moderator, First of all, I am not giving false or misleading gun arguments - I'm giving MY OPINION of what should or could be done and what I would like to see done. You may note that the original post you responded to was not directed at any poster in particular, it was a statement that I made to express my feelings about this incident and what could POSSIBLY be looked at in order to prevent them from happening again. That may or may not matter to you. Any reasonable and intelligent person would understand that there has to be change - and it starts with the voice of the people. Why in god's name do we need to own assault weapons? They aren't used for hunting. Why did this mother find it necessary to own weapons to this extent, especially when there was evidence that this kid was troubled and could have access to them?...
I understand your original post wasn't directed at any poster in particular but it was posted on a public forum which means anyone can reply to it. This follow up post also has misleading or false information. I realize you can create your own opinions, which you have done via a few short stories, but you can not create your own facts. You write," Why in god's name do we need to own assault weapons? They aren't used for hunting." I will point out that you can call a submarine an airplane but the fact remains "It won't fly, Orville." It remains a submarine even if you paint wings on its side and write Southwest on its chassis. The same with your "assault " weapon argument. A genuine assault weapon is a hand-held, selective fire weapon.In other words it's capable of firing in either an automatic or a semi-automatic mode depending on the position of a selector switch. These kinds of weapons are heavily regulated by the National Firearms Act of 1934 and are further regulated in many states. Not one genuine assault weapon has ever been used in a school shooting, not one, yet the media and gun control activists insist on calling these semi-automatic rifles assault weapons, which they are not. It was Joseph Goebbels, nazi propagandist who said, "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it..." Apparently you are one of those people that have succumbed to the left wing propaganda, and yes, your semi-auto pseudo assault weapons make for pretty good hunting rifles. As far as the mother's involvement I can't give you the answer. I can give an educated guess.She lived alone, the house was semi secluded and she probably felt the need for self protection. How he got possession of her weapons is not known.

"The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention took up the issue in 2003, looking at bans on firearms, restrictions on firearms, waiting periods and licensing, zero tolerance laws in schools, childhood access prevention laws and combinations of all of these. The result?The Task Force found insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness of any of the firearms laws or combinations of laws reviewed on violent outcomes.

http://www.mrc.org/node/27766
NOTthechildren

Bryn Mawr, PA

#185 Dec 16, 2012
AndyM138 wrote:
There will be serious intense talk. The biased media will slip in the gun control argument in their reporting. Other talking heads and commentators will push the mental health angle. I think the more we learn about the shooter and family the more the focus will shift over to mental health.

It is bad for the truely responsible gun owner but I think there are too many for any radical change. The anti-gun crowd will chip away at gun control but the reality is that the cats out of the bag and as many that are appauled by this they're are even more that own guns.

The legislature that voted for gun control during the Clinton years was voted out and the recent left political victories have lead to large increases in gun sales. This tells me alot of people actually believe in and want guns. There's a reason actions movies with guns are frequently the most popular movies. Same for video games. There is a gun culture OR guns are indeed part of our culture.

My thing with many of the hardline anti gun crowd is that they remind of the hardline drug rehab crowd that says if you so much as buy a junky a meal you just enabled them. You just enabled them because they can now spend their money on drugs. Did you really enable a criminal if the gun you legally bought 30 years ago gets stolen by a criminal. In other words in the end isn't it about personal responsibility. You can run what if scnerios and Monday morning quarterback forever. That's philisophical and not practical or reality.

Ironically that same drug rehab crowd says as a family member, friend or junky emphasize worrying about YOURSELF, worry about what YOU can actually control on daily basis.

I just don't want to see a new McCarthyism erupt labeling all gun owners & advocates as radical nuts or anyone or kid labled as a physco because they had some of the same behaviors,habits or traits as the child killer Adam Lanza.

Hopefully calmers heads will prevail.
So sad

Littleton, CO

#186 Dec 16, 2012
to downhill 246 -

It is clear that for every argument I have, you and others like you will have an equally passionate and logical counter-argument. But, before we are reduced to a war of words and before I have to find it necessary to go about my daily tasks and get some things accomplished in the real world, let's take a look at the actual verbiage of the Second Amendment, shall we?

A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

And that was written when? approximately 250 years ago. Ok, let's look at the obvious - did they have assault, or semi assault weapons at that time? No, they had muskets and canons, mere pea shooters compared to today's sophisticated weaponry. I say, curtail the types of weapons allowed to be owned by regular citizens.

Having said that, I look closer at the term "a well-regulated Militia". Are you a current member of the military? We have trained and perfectly capable military personnel. Unfortunately too many of them are sent to foreign lands to secure them - bring them home and let's take care of these States. Which leads into the security of a free State- and entertaining the assumption that the "State" could also include the "state of mind" of the citizens. Are the citizens secure today? I'm aware of the stance that we must secure our nation against those enemies, foreign and domestic. You are aware that many of our enemies, foreign and domestic are in possession of nuclear weapons - does that mean that my next door neighbor can legally possess nuclear arms to defend his front yard? What good would your assault weapons have against nuclear weapons. You know, as well as I do, that should any enemy, foreseen or not, decide to point some nuclear warheads in our direction, we just might as well put our heads between our legs and kiss our asses goodbye. Geez, where does it end, where do we draw the line? Go back to the basics and re-start the thought process from there. Bring all possible scenarios to the table and deal with them each on an individual and logical level. What could happen? What can we do to prevent it? How do we implement change and hopefully secure a more free state (or state of mind) and stop these things from happening?
It probably won't surprise you (or maybe it will)to learn that I am the author of a blog that has been directed toward these efforts. I was personally affected by events that took place here in April 1999. I hear every argument and reason why people should or shouldn't have guns in their homes. I have my reasons for my opinions and I have developed an understanding of the reason for opposition to my personal opinions. But, again, I'm not here to change anyone's minds about gun control, I'm here to present my thoughts on why the status quo is no longer working and why serious and thoughtful consideration and debate needs to be conducted with an eye toward bringing the Second Amendment into the present day. The Constitutional Amendments, simply by virtue of their title, are open to review and change. The founding fathers would not have wanted us to hold so doggedly to the edicts handed down by them 250 years ago. Like themselves, they would have wanted us to grow and learn and change with the times. It's time for change.
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#188 Dec 16, 2012
So sad wrote:
to downhill 246 -
It is clear that for every argument I have, you and others like you will have an equally passionate and logical counter-argument. But, before we are reduced to a war of words and before I have to find it necessary to go about my daily tasks and get some things accomplished in the real world, let's take a look at the actual verbiage of the Second Amendment, shall we?
A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
And that was written when? approximately 250 years ago. Ok, let's look at the obvious - did they have assault, or semi assault weapons at that time? No, they had muskets and canons, mere pea shooters compared to today's sophisticated weaponry. I say, curtail the types of weapons allowed to be owned by regular citizens.
Having said that, I look closer at the term "a well-regulated Militia"........
In 1776 the British Brown Bess musket fired a .71 cal bullet. Today California restricts the sale of .50 cal rifles . In 1776 if you were hit by that .71 cal bullet and lived you might then get thrown in a wagon and driven ten miles on rough trails to the nearest doctor or more likely closest veterinarian.

As far as well regulated, it had nothing to do with government control of the military

The following are taken from the Oxford English Dictionary, and bracket in time the writing of the 2nd Amendment:

1709: "If a liberal Education has formed in us well-regulated Appetites and worthy Inclinations."

1714: "The practice of all well-regulated courts of justice in the world."

1812: "The equation of time ... is the adjustment of the difference of time as shown by a well-regulated clock and a true sun dial."

1848: "A remissness for which I am sure every well-regulated person will blame the Mayor."

1862: "It appeared to her well-regulated mind, like a clandestine proceeding."

1894: "The newspaper, a never wanting adjunct to every well-regulated American embryo city."

The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was not only not the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it.

Further I doubt if you can convince most citizens that they have too much firepower when they know the criminal intent on doing them bodily harm has as much or more lethal firepower.

"Foolish liberals who are trying to read the Second Amendment out of the Constitution by claiming it's not an individual right or that it's too much of a safety hazard don't see the danger of the big picture. They are courting disaster by encouraging others to use the same means to eliminate portions of the Constitution that they don't like."
Constitutional scholar Alan Dershowitz
So sad

Littleton, CO

#190 Dec 16, 2012
It's disheartening to see such outdated references and "words of wisdom" quoted here. I wonder if our words will have so much meaning in 108 years. It's Sunday night and to me it is time to relax and prepare myself for the week ahead. The best I can think of to do is communicate with my lawmakers and perhaps share some of the things I've learned this weekend. I may quote 1 or 2 of you, there's no need for me to have your permission because this is an anonymous forum, not regulated by copyright laws. Any of you are free to quote me, or use the words I have posted to enhance your position, or arguments, should you choose to have them. Compromise is hard to come by - we are all so different. But it is something that we have all come to understand as something that must be learned, immediately. Many people are acting and thinking based on the events of one day. The bigger picture is what is important here. We are doing something wrong if we can't protect our families and neighbors and friends from each other. I listened closely to our president's speech this evening. Change is in the air - liberals and conservatives are going to have a meeting of the minds sooner than later. If they don't, we are all doomed. Goodnight.

“Liberal Teachers ruin Kids”

Since: Mar 09

Paradise Valley Arizona

#191 Dec 16, 2012
Does making schools "gun-free zones" really protect children, or make them easy targets?

Since: Mar 08

Sunnyvale, CA

#192 Dec 17, 2012
Can anyone explain how an elected official named Louie Gohmert of Texas got elected in the first place? The guy is an idiot. His rational was to question why the principal of the school did not own a gun of equal power as protection.

That ain't any society I want to live in. Throw the idiots out of Congress!

Sunnyvale, CA

#193 Dec 17, 2012
great info. let's put it on the banned list!
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
I own a Ruger 10/22 rifle which is the most popular .22 rifle sold in America. There have been over five million sold since 1964.It can fire multiple rounds per minute or sec.

Sunnyvale, CA

#194 Dec 17, 2012
beware of stereotypes. a television can only show a few people at a time. there are hundreds of millions in the USA alone.

the big picture is far clearer than the dogma of the fringe...and rabid gun supporters are about as fringe as it gets.

the usa is NOT in crisis! wake up all conspiracy theorists. get off the meth.
Nutmegger wrote:
<quoted text>
California...... Say no more.
Focus on the root cause, not the tool.
We have thrown God out of our schools and other public places.
We sit and watch our kids get addicted to ultra violent video games where they kill over and over again.
We medicate our kids with drugs that cause violent behavior.
We do not teach our kids how to properly socialize.
Your view while probably sincere is mis-guided.
Dig a little deeper my west coast friend.
Gluteus Maximus

Bethpage, NY

#195 Dec 17, 2012
18 Kids Killed wrote:
<quoted text> That is what you say after every god damn tragedy. No more. We need to talk about it and now!
How do you know what I say after every tragedy? You don't know me! What a dunce... Oh, and leave your 8th grade potty mouth at home the next time.
Gluteus Maximus

Bethpage, NY

#196 Dec 17, 2012
Radawich wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea you lost too didn't ya! By the way it is the conservative republicans who support the NRA. Nor does the second amendment say anything about assault guns or defending yourself against kindergarten children and other elementary aged children--you have real balls don't you. Its brains you need instead.
And we wonder what is wrong with this country.
Yeah, well there's nothing in the 1st amendment about a separation of church and state either, but people who need brains have been misinterpreting that one for a long time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Gunman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Suspect in shooting rampage had been deported t... Oct '14 swizzler 1
News Couple hurt in Kansas City rampage succumb to i... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Black Pansters 3
News Three fatal stabbing victims in Santa Barbara r... (May '14) Jun '14 N8 the Grrr8 39
News Vegas rampage victims honored, eulogized as heroes (Jun '14) Jun '14 Yep2 32
News Santa Barbara Rampage Victim's Family Hopes He ... (Jun '14) Jun '14 drive by media 1
News Paul Ciancia, LAX shooting suspect, charged wit... (Nov '13) Nov '13 national whistleb... 2
News Who is behind the Washington Navy Yard rampage? (Sep '13) Oct '13 chomikuj 16
More from around the web