Connecticut School Shooting Update: O...

Connecticut School Shooting Update: One gunman dead, one teacher injured at elementary school

There are 217 comments on the CBS News story from Dec 14, 2012, titled Connecticut School Shooting Update: One gunman dead, one teacher injured at elementary school. In it, CBS News reports that:

NEWTOWN, Conn. - A law enforcement source tells CBS News that one gunman is dead at the scene of a shooting at a Connecticut elementary school Friday morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS News.

NOTthechildren

Bryn Mawr, PA

#52 Dec 14, 2012
Gary Coaldigger wrote:
Only two words that I can say that best describes the shooter in my book right now...cowardly scum.
I'm sure that others can think of something even more to call him but that's just how I feel about him.
If he had mommy issues I can understand him wanting to takeout mom but strangers kids? Even if he was abused why shoot those kids which is ABUSING them. I thought most child abuse victims don't want to see that happen to other kids.

Remember this is CHILD ABUSER/mass murderer Adam Lanza and not 'the gunman or shooter'.

“Just Add Obama ”

Since: Mar 08

Jacksonville Florida

#53 Dec 14, 2012
Lepor wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey dude, the constitution garuntees your right to have guns. But to say there is no way to put a stop to lunatics going into schools and killing kids and adults is a bullshit cop out, from the gun carrying sissies of the paranoid delusional right.
What would you consider a acceptable school shooting rate?
Don't forget the knives also.
Man stabs 22 children at China primary school
NOTthechildren

Bryn Mawr, PA

#54 Dec 14, 2012
Mr Logic in Jax wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget the knives also.
Man stabs 22 children at China primary school
What ever rage these malfunctioning cowards have would not only morph into in a political agenda but they would be steered to wmd ie bombs,chemical attacks, arson etc if they didn't have access to guns. Guns are not the problem It is the person who can even conceive of an act like this that will always find tools for their revenge/personal war.
curious

Morehead, KY

#55 Dec 14, 2012
Cnn is reporting the weapons were registered to the mother of the shooter. The shooter had no criminal record. The mother and son lived in the residence. There will be many questions as to exactly what was the lifestyle in the residence and what lead to such an act. As a mother, I can't grasp why the mother felt the need to purchase such weapons for the home. Prayers to this community, there may be questions that only God will know the answer.

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#56 Dec 14, 2012
Der Beobachter wrote:
The sickest thing about this is the anti-gun people That Live for terrible things like this to happen so they can blame the NRA. My condolences to the families involved. and I hope they put a noose around the second guy they pulled out in cuffs
The sickest thing is that 5 -6 yr old kids lives have been taken out for no reason.That's sick! Who said anything about the NRA? Stop trying to use this for points.

“Liberal Teachers ruin Kids”

Since: Mar 09

Paradise Valley Arizona

#58 Dec 14, 2012
ptboat527 wrote:
How about a gun that can fire multiple rounds per minute or sec...sold to individuals without any psychological testing first? Call the items in question assault weapons. How many such items have to be sold to the public before the call comes in to arm everyone in the country...just to ensure their safety from such whackos?
Give us whackos with a clip of six shots at a time or a bolt-action rifle and our underpaid police forces can certainly deal with the situation without such dire consequences.
The right to bear assault weapons...not my solution...and thankfully a growing majority of our elected officials.
<quoted text>
Yea you leftists adore gun control
That state had lots of it already
Get real man

http://wwwamericanpatriot-vance.blogspot.com/

Paradise Valley Arizona

#59 Dec 14, 2012
EquinsuOcha wrote:
So making guns illegal will take them off the street?........Then we should make heroin and meth illegal too..........
Amen Bro...Laws hardly ever work

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#60 Dec 14, 2012
Vance1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea you leftists adore gun control
That state had lots of it already
Get real man
http://wwwamericanpatriot-vance.blogspot.com/
I guess Republicans favor the slaughter of a class romm of 5yr old childern instead? You sure didnt mind pressing for voter id.
A Parent

Williamsburg, KY

#61 Dec 14, 2012
curious wrote:
Cnn is reporting the weapons were registered to the mother of the shooter. The shooter had no criminal record. The mother and son lived in the residence. There will be many questions as to exactly what was the lifestyle in the residence and what lead to such an act. As a mother, I can't grasp why the mother felt the need to purchase such weapons for the home. Prayers to this community, there may be questions that only God will know the answer.
Makes you wonder what was she thinking when she purchased these guns and her reason for it. It will be interesting to find out if he was with her at the time of the purchase and when.
Question

Edgerton, KS

#64 Dec 14, 2012
My only question is why is this happening so frequently? 20 yrs. when I was in school we never had to worry about this. What has changed that makes this continue to occur? Music? Video games? Not enough of children disipline? The economy? idk.....my heart hurts for all these families.

Since: Dec 12

Chisago City, MN

#66 Dec 14, 2012
I own guns wrote:
<quoted text>How about if you use a gun to commit a crime you get 20 years minimum in prison. If you use a gun to take a life you get the death penalty. Carried out within 6 months. Not 16 years. I'm all for that. I don't plan on committing any crimes with my guns. Now what?
The guns used were registered to the mother of the shooter. What kind of kindergarten teacher feels she needs two hand guns and an assault riffle. I'm all for people having hunting weapons but I feel there should be strict control over other guns.

Chisago City, MN

#67 Dec 14, 2012
Lepor wrote:
<quoted text>Yes collecting firearms and ammunition is common among kindergarten teachers. I've heard many a kindergarten teacher speak lovingly of their firearms.
You're definately dead on in your assessment of the situation.
Nice
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#69 Dec 14, 2012
KILLERS wrote:
<quoted text>I guess Republicans favor the slaughter of a class romm of 5yr old childern instead? You sure didnt mind pressing for voter id.
What laws do you have in mind that would have prevented today's tragedy?

Chisago City, MN

#72 Dec 14, 2012
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe she wanted to protect herself from intruders into her home.
From what I understand a shotgun is the best home defense weapon.
NOTthechildren

Bryn Mawr, PA

#74 Dec 14, 2012
Question wrote:
My only question is why is this happening so frequently? 20 yrs. when I was in school we never had to worry about this. What has changed that makes this continue to occur? Music? Video games? Not enough of children disipline? The economy? idk.....my heart hurts for all these families.
The problem is with technology today's society moves faster than it did even 20 years ago which makes for easier instant gratification. Feeling depressed just crank up the ipod or text on your smart phone. Children over the last 10 years in particular have had access to portable technology where in the past you were left with your thoughts or other people-eek.

But technology also makes things easier. Common tasks are cleaner, quicker and simply easiier leaving more personal in a state of gratification time. Instead of taking the TIME to go to the library and do research they can google from home and have word correct their mistake instead of them taking the TIME to proof read(uh-oh, work and more time). Even if not in a constant state of gratification they can find 'gratification' much quicker and easier without drug through technology alone.

The young ones don't know how to handle common disappointment like poor grades, an athletic defeat/set back or a failed relationship. The 'system' tells them they should pick courses and career that makes them happy. The system tells them, feeling depressed or bad see a counselor or doctor(more behavior meds than ever for kiddies) They should have to be forced to endure all the basics good at it or not. Which means math and english for EVERYONE. If nothing else it will teach them how to endure something they don't like or have to work. They should be forced to take shop and cooking, actual practical survival skills but practicality isn't fun and survival is taken for granted.

I never thought I'd say this but todays younger generation has it too easy even with a crappy economy.

Chisago City, MN

#75 Dec 14, 2012
Crazy wrote:
<quoted text>Is it? Lol. You need more research.
The primary difference between shotguns intended for outdoor sports and those for self-defense is the barrel length. Combat shotguns—sometimes called riot guns, are typically fitted with short barrels between 18.5 to 20 inches in length. Some combat models offer an extended magazine capacity, or a specialized sighting system, but they are usually the same as sporting shotguns in other respects.

Paradise Valley Arizona

#76 Dec 14, 2012
KILLERS wrote:
<quoted text>I guess Republicans favor the slaughter of a class romm of 5yr old childern instead? You sure didnt mind pressing for voter id.
Your post makes absolutely no sence
Anonymous

La Habra, CA

#81 Dec 14, 2012
If only it had been 20 cops who got whacked. But little kids? Very sad.

Chisago City, MN

#82 Dec 14, 2012
[QUOTE who="Really?"]<qu oted text>I have a .40 cal that holds 11 rounds. And a 12 gauge that holds 4. Which one is best? Whichever one I have in my hand when I have an intruder. Which am I grabbing first? The .40 cal? You're damn right. Is it a semi auto? You're damn right. So is the 12 gauge. It's a Beretta Extrema. I can empty it in 3 seconds or less. There are videos on YouTube of it.

&fe ature=youtube_gdata_player[/QU OTE]
It seems your proving my point. I can't see you having a problem defending your home with your Beretta Extrema.
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#86 Dec 14, 2012
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>
It's very hard to conceal a shotgun in your purse or on your person.

Especially at the beach.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Gunman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Suspect in shooting rampage had been deported t... (Oct '14) Oct '14 swizzler 1
News Couple hurt in Kansas City rampage succumb to i... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Black Pansters 3
News Three fatal stabbing victims in Santa Barbara r... (May '14) Jun '14 N8 the Grrr8 39
News Vegas rampage victims honored, eulogized as heroes (Jun '14) Jun '14 Yep2 32
News Santa Barbara Rampage Victim's Family Hopes He ... (Jun '14) Jun '14 drive by media 1
News Paul Ciancia, LAX shooting suspect, charged wit... (Nov '13) Nov '13 national whistleb... 2
News Who is behind the Washington Navy Yard rampage? (Sep '13) Oct '13 chomikuj 16
More from around the web