Connecticut School Shooting Update: O...

Connecticut School Shooting Update: One gunman dead, one teacher injured at elementary school

There are 217 comments on the CBS News story from Dec 14, 2012, titled Connecticut School Shooting Update: One gunman dead, one teacher injured at elementary school. In it, CBS News reports that:

NEWTOWN, Conn. - A law enforcement source tells CBS News that one gunman is dead at the scene of a shooting at a Connecticut elementary school Friday morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS News.

questioner

Menard, TX

#29 Dec 14, 2012
I own guns wrote:
<quoted text>
How about if you use a gun to commit a crime you get 20 years minimum in prison. If you use a gun to take a life you get the death penalty. Carried out within 6 months. Not 16 years. I'm all for that. I don't plan on committing any crimes with my guns. Now what?
Your suggestions may prevent recurences, but how can something like this be PREVENTED? Seems lots of people get angry, crazy or whatever and go on a shooting spree, sometimes with specific targets, sometime with seemingly random targets. Would you be willing to be profiled before buying a firearm?
2nd Amendment

Saint Albans, WV

#30 Dec 14, 2012
Instead of controlling guns, we should be ISSUING them to all citizens, along with intense training how and in what circumstances they may be used. If everybody is packing heat, who is going to pull off a mass killing?
Wondering

Cathedral City, CA

#31 Dec 14, 2012
Ky girl wrote:
<quoted text> Ryan is the older brother. He did nothing. The shooter was Adam Lanza.....
MEDIA IS REPORTING RYAN IS THE SHOOTER NOT ADAM.
BatChitCrazy

South Point, OH

#32 Dec 14, 2012
Fox just reported the shooter used semi auto weapons, and got those at his mothers house after he killed her. They was registered in her name. My prayers go out to the family and friends of all involved.
Wondering

Cathedral City, CA

#35 Dec 14, 2012
Ky girl wrote:
<quoted text> Ryan is the older brother. He did nothing. The shooter was Adam Lanza.....
your right, Adam had his brothers id on him. This entire story is so weird. Why did he have his brothers id on him? Medai said they are in New Jersey interviewing the Brother. So, was the Dad the one killed at home? No mention of the Dad. Why did Mom have all those guns and amo??? Weird
BatChitCrazy

South Point, OH

#36 Dec 14, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>your right, Adam had his brothers id on him. This entire story is so weird. Why did he have his brothers id on him? Medai said they are in New Jersey interviewing the Brother. So, was the Dad the one killed at home? No mention of the Dad. Why did Mom have all those guns and amo??? Weird
Who knows, maybe there was an abusive family dynamic and she had the weapons for protection, or she could have just loved and collected firearms.
NOTthechildren

Pottstown, PA

#37 Dec 14, 2012
18 Kids Killed wrote:
<quoted text> Guns are designed solely for one purpose. Shut up with the tired rhetoric that you people put up every shooting. We need stricter gun laws. Anyone that isn't sick in the head will agree.
Anti anti-gun rhetoric is put up after every shooting because of the anti gun rhetoric. I'd venture to say this CHILD ABUSER/murderer slipped through existing laws. I'm more worried about someone who apparently crossed state lines to kill a parent and her innocent school kids.

I recently saw Dr Drew where the Oregon mall shooter's friend was actually trying to defend his friend who killed innocent people and himself as if were just a bad day. Where the frack does this generation even get the gaul to defend acts like this. He talked about his friend like he was and still is a good guy. At least take your rage out on someone who actually screwed you over.
seriously

Somerset, KY

#38 Dec 14, 2012
You have got to be kidding me.... Children have lost there lives today, and all you people are worried about is the right to have a gun....Even if we didnt have that right, people will still continue to break the law... they always find ways around it... Stop being so selfish and be a little more considerate of others.... Praying for the families, friends and loved ones for all of them that were involved, and also for the children that had to see this tragic moment... May god bring peace in your heart, and be with thru this horrible time....God Bless you
NOTthechildren

Pottstown, PA

#39 Dec 14, 2012
A Parent wrote:
You can't blame the weapon, you can't blame the insane person, blame the lack of security measures that schools should have in place. Maybe if he wasn't allowed in the school since he wasn't staff or wasn't allowed to visit anyone. Maybe if NOBODY was allowed in the school except staff during school hours for ANY reason and maybe if he wasn't allowed past the front doors or office then maybe it could have been prevented. Schools are just to lenient these days with people coming in. No one should have any reason to enter a school during hours, the staff or kid should have to come to the front if necessary. My heart goes out to everyone. What a sad time were living in.
I agree although the caveat here was that the CHILD ABUSER/murderer was a teacher's son. It would be best for the individual locations and people to do as much for their own security as possible rather than relying and/or waiting for the police. Same could be said for alot of things in life including your own health, finaces, school etc. Shouldn't wait to bailed out. There will be plenty of times you will need outside assistance but until help arrives it's up to you to do everything and anything possible to help yourself.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#40 Dec 14, 2012
So making guns illegal will take them off the street?........Then we should make heroin and meth illegal too..........
OldDog

Jasper, GA

#41 Dec 14, 2012
NOTthechildren wrote:
There is snapping, cracking, going bonkers, having a nervous breakdown etc. BUT, big but there are simply certain lines you don't cross even in war. Killing kids IS one of those lines you simply do NOT cross. I don't care who your beef is with.
That being said anytime one of these mass murderers(even the phrase shooter or gunman gives too much respect & credit) kills a child the term child abuser needs to immediately attached their name. CHILD ABUSER/MURDERER. No going down in a blaze of glory. No infamy. No records in a mass murder record book. They shouldn't even use the term suicide by cop it should be justified shooting by police of a derranged worthless coward.
As far as I am concerned this is a CHILD ABUSER/mass murderer and NOT someone who snapped or had mental issues. Remember this is an act of a worthless cowardly malfunctioning CHILD ABUSER/mass murderer.
This is the work of a CHILD ABUSER/mass murderer.
This is awful anyway you look at it, when I first hear about this since less shooting I cried. I think most people around the world cried, if they have a heart.

However, we, our gov. does this every day in the name of war. Happening here in the US we are torn apart by such a horrific & senseless crime. I can't begin to imagine the pain other families go through when their loss is daily. As far as I'm concerned LIFE is the most valuable
thing we have, anywhere!

However, I believe in our 2nd amendment & taking that away will only assure that nuts & criminals will be the only ones beside law enforcement people to have guns. It will not stop the killing of innocent people.

I wish there was a way to protect us all, but that will never be the case. We should reach out & spread our love & kindness as much as possible. Teach our children to the same & also look for signs of pain & disturbed people.

This mother/teacher was no doubt in pain with her son, maybe others in her family, we all live in denial in one form or another. I think its time we all wake up.

My heart & prayers go out to everyone affected by this tragedy.
Wondering

Cathedral City, CA

#42 Dec 14, 2012
Gun rights opponents in Illinois on Wednesday said they will continue their fight to rollback the Second Amendment after the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Tuesday ruled that a ban on concealed carry is unconstitutional.

Gun-grabbers in Chicago demanded state Attorney General Lisa Madigan appeal the ruling. Gov. Pat Quinn and Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said they will work closely with legislators to come up with a new law that will “protect the public” against citizens exercising their constitutional right to own and carry firearms.

“I think it’s important that we stress that public safety comes first,” Quinn told the Associated Press.

In November, Quinn attempted to sneak through legislation banning so-called assault weapons, but was frustrated by the Illinois Senate.“The Governor overstepped his reach when he decided to rewrite this Senate bill and impose an assault weapons ban without the measure first being heard by the legislature,” said Sen. Dave Luechtefeld.

Despite efforts by the legislature to uphold the Second Amendment, Quinn claimed the public supports his efforts to deny them access to firearms.

“I think that’s where the people of Illinois are on this issue and anything having to do with guns and assault weapons and things like that. We cannot have those sorts of people eligible to carry loaded weapons on their person in public places, whether it be malls or churches or schools,” he said.

Quinn also said he will continue his push to outlaw “military-style assault weapons.”

“An assault rifle is, by definition, a medium caliber rifle capable of firing more than one round when the trigger is pulled,” Eric Nirschel wrote following actor Jason Alexander’s tirade against the Second Amendment earlier this year.

The firearms Quinn and the gun-grabbers in Illinois want to outlaw are not assault weapons, but semi-automatic rifles and handguns. The term “assault weapon” is used to demonize any firearm that is not a single shot or bolt-action weapon.

Gov. Quinn and Second Amendment opponents in the state will attempt to include restrictions in the new legislation that will be drafted within the next 180 days.

“I expect a battle,” House Majority Leader and gun-grabber Barbara Flynn Currie said.“The proponents of concealed carry have not yet carried the day.”

Gun control advocates cited Chicago’s street violence as an excuse to limit the Second Amendment.

Judge Richard Posner, however, wrote in the majority appellate opinion that Illinois doesn’t have “some unique characteristic of criminal activity” providing an excuse for outlawing concealed weapons.“A right to bear arms thus implies a right to carry a loaded gun outside the home,” he said.

“A Chicagoan is a good deal more likely to be attacked on a sidewalk in a rough neighborhood than in his apartment on the 35th floor of Park Tower,” Posner added.“To confine the right to be armed to the home is to divorce the Second Amendment from the right of self-defense.”

Prior to the ruling, Illinois was the last remaining state to outlaw concealed weapons. The ban was challenged in 2009 by Second Amendment advocates suing on behalf of an Illinois woman violently attacked while volunteering at her church.
Lepor

Ames, IA

#43 Dec 14, 2012
Chef wrote:
You're an idiot if you don't arm and protect yourself.
You're an idiot if you think you have too.
Lepor

Ames, IA

#44 Dec 14, 2012
BatChitCrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
Who knows, maybe there was an abusive family dynamic and she had the weapons for protection, or she could have just loved and collected firearms.
Yes collecting firearms and ammunition is common among kindergarten teachers. I've heard many a kindergarten teacher speak lovingly of their firearms.
You're definately dead on in your assessment of the situation.

“Just Add Obama ”

Since: Mar 08

Jacksonville Florida

#45 Dec 14, 2012
I believe that only Government law enforcement (Federal, State and Local) should be allowed to carry and use firearms. Private “Law Abiding” citizens should not be allowed to owe nor use any type of firearm even in their home.

Now since we know the criminals will still have firearms or other weapons each and every “Law Abiding” citizens will have a Government law enforcement officer assigned to them at birth to protect them from criminals. This Government law enforcement officer will never leave his or her assignment, where talking 24/7 “Government Security” to protect us so we can live free of the criminals.
Lepor

Ames, IA

#46 Dec 14, 2012
Wondering wrote:
Gun rights opponents in Illinois on Wednesday said they will continue their fight to rollback the Second Amendment after the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Tuesday ruled that a ban on concealed carry is unconstitutional.
Gun-grabbers in Chicago demanded state Attorney General Lisa Madigan appeal the ruling. Gov. Pat Quinn and Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said they will work closely with legislators to come up with a new law that will “protect the public” against citizens exercising their constitutional right to own and carry firearms.
“I think it’s important that we stress that public safety comes first,” Quinn told the Associated Press.
In November, Quinn attempted to sneak through legislation banning so-called assault weapons, but was frustrated by the Illinois Senate.“The Governor overstepped his reach when he decided to rewrite this Senate bill and impose an assault weapons ban without the measure first being heard by the legislature,” said Sen. Dave Luechtefeld.
Despite efforts by the legislature to uphold the Second Amendment, Quinn claimed the public supports his efforts to deny them access to firearms.
“I think that’s where the people of Illinois are on this issue and anything having to do with guns and assault weapons and things like that. We cannot have those sorts of people eligible to carry loaded weapons on their person in public places, whether it be malls or churches or schools,” he said.
Quinn also said he will continue his push to outlaw “military-style assault weapons.”
“An assault rifle is, by definition, a medium caliber rifle capable of firing more than one round when the trigger is pulled,” Eric Nirschel wrote following actor Jason Alexander’s tirade against the Second Amendment earlier this year.
The firearms Quinn and the gun-grabbers in Illinois want to outlaw are not assault weapons, but semi-automatic rifles and handguns. The term “assault weapon” is used to demonize any firearm that is not a single shot or bolt-action weapon.
Gov. Quinn and Second Amendment opponents in the state will attempt to include restrictions in the new legislation that will be drafted within the next 180 days.
“I expect a battle,” House Majority Leader and gun-grabber Barbara Flynn Currie said.“The proponents of concealed carry have not yet carried the day.”
Gun control advocates cited Chicago’s street violence as an excuse to limit the Second Amendment.
Judge Richard Posner, however, wrote in the majority appellate opinion that Illinois doesn’t have “some unique characteristic of criminal activity” providing an excuse for outlawing concealed weapons.“A right to bear arms thus implies a right to carry a loaded gun outside the home,” he said.
“A Chicagoan is a good deal more likely to be attacked on a sidewalk in a rough neighborhood than in his apartment on the 35th floor of Park Tower,” Posner added.“To confine the right to be armed to the home is to divorce the Second Amendment from the right of self-defense.”
Prior to the ruling, Illinois was the last remaining state to outlaw concealed weapons. The ban was challenged in 2009 by Second Amendment advocates suing on behalf of an Illinois woman violently attacked while volunteering at her church.
Hey dude, the constitution garuntees your right to have guns. But to say there is no way to put a stop to lunatics going into schools and killing kids and adults is a bullshit cop out, from the gun carrying sissies of the paranoid delusional right.
What would you consider a acceptable school shooting rate?
Darl

Szczecin, Poland

#47 Dec 14, 2012
what about this criminal, who have murdered all these innocent children in Afghanistan a few months ago? he was already hopefully convicted to death. Is it popular crime in usa to massacre children?
Wondering

Cathedral City, CA

#49 Dec 14, 2012
Image of Sandy Hook Elementary School Principal Dawn Hochsprung, provided by Newtown Patch ( http://newtown.patch.com

Principal was Beautiful Lady. Heart breaking.
NOTthechildren

Pottstown, PA

#50 Dec 14, 2012
OldDog wrote:
<quoted text>
This is awful anyway you look at it, when I first hear about this since less shooting I cried. I think most people around the world cried, if they have a heart.
However, we, our gov. does this every day in the name of war. Happening here in the US we are torn apart by such a horrific & senseless crime. I can't begin to imagine the pain other families go through when their loss is daily. As far as I'm concerned LIFE is the most valuable
thing we have, anywhere!
However, I believe in our 2nd amendment & taking that away will only assure that nuts & criminals will be the only ones beside law enforcement people to have guns. It will not stop the killing of innocent people.
I wish there was a way to protect us all, but that will never be the case. We should reach out & spread our love & kindness as much as possible. Teach our children to the same & also look for signs of pain & disturbed people.
This mother/teacher was no doubt in pain with her son, maybe others in her family, we all live in denial in one form or another. I think its time we all wake up.
My heart & prayers go out to everyone affected by this tragedy.
My thing do not give these guys the attention they seem to desire. I've seen in the news several times over the years where a "Columbine' style plot was foiled. How the heck did a Columbine become the gold standard for deranged mass murderers/want to bes. This Adam Lanza is a CHILD ABUSING mass murderer and NOT a 'the shooter' or 'the gunman'.

Some where we have to emphasize as a society ALWAYS protect the young or those younger than you and those that pray on the innocent are complete cowards. How the heck did this shooter gathter the motivation to actually shoot his parent/s AND innocent children. If had mommy or daddy issues I can understand that a little better. But his beef with children that he didn't know?

I can even understand a completed or attempted lone individual suicide. But I think these COWARDS are so gutless that they need to commit such a heineous act that there is only one option if they don't want prison and shrinks and that's suicide which they apparently don't have the guts to do themselves. Maybe it's time to start issuing licenses to the doctor jacks of the world.

“Still Politically Incorrect”

Since: Feb 10

And Damn Proud Of It Too

#51 Dec 14, 2012
Only two words that I can say that best describes the shooter in my book right now...cowardly scum.

I'm sure that others can think of something even more to call him but that's just how I feel about him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Gunman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News LA cops fatally shoot man near CNN Hollywood af... Feb '17 Pessimistic1 7
More from around the web