Eric Holder: Gay Marriage Is the Next Civil Rights Issue

Full story: ABC News 9
President Obama has "evolved" on gay marriage , his administration opposes the federal law against it, and now Attorney General Eric Holder says it's the next big civil-rights issue. Full Story

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Feb 28, 2013
Ya THINK !!!

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#3 Mar 1, 2013
marriage is really not so much as a right but it is a privilege.
What is in question is not if one has the right to marry but it is the morality of gay marriage that is in question.
Also,a man and a woman together can be productive for many generations to come but a gay couple is rendered non-productive.
However,just like it is now with interracial couples,gay couples will eventually be accepted and recognized with all the marital rights thereof by all states here in the country sooner or later.

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

#4 Mar 1, 2013
Gary Coaldigger wrote:
What is in question is not if one has the right to marry but it is the morality of gay marriage that is in question.
Also,a man and a woman together can be productive for many generations to come but a gay couple is rendered non-productive.
However,just like it is now with interracial couples,gay couples will eventually be accepted and recognized with all the marital rights thereof by all states here in the country sooner or later.
No, actually, the courts have deemed marriage a basic CIVIL right, not a privilege.

And, no, gay people are not sterile, and we have the same abilities to form families and raise children that straight folks have. Not all marriages between males and females are "productive", either.

The courts stay out of legislating productivity requirements in marriage, for good reason.
Pierre

Persan, France

#5 Mar 1, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
we have the same abilities to form families and raise children that straight folks have.
Then why do gay men choose to do each other in the butt, then adopting little boys instead of marrying women and having their own children?

Location hidden

#6 Mar 1, 2013
Gary Coaldigger wrote:
And WHO among an Equal and Free Citizenry is so lofty as to be granting "privileges" ... especially to those who are born absolutely and innately free? Or to be dictating "morality"?

Consider for a moment the complex issues expressed in this scene:

&fe ature=related
Pad

Rockford, IL

#7 Mar 1, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
And WHO among an Equal and Free Citizenry is so lofty as to be granting "privileges" ... especially to those who are born absolutely and innately free? Or to be dictating "morality"?
Consider for a moment the complex issues expressed in this scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =EBnk2aKsIQAXX&feature=rel ated
Very well done,and it hit hard to every fiber of issue concerning how people feel about either their gayness or the rights of such respectfully.

I find the whole matter a constant bore,but realize that individuals who want freedoms,and feel denied,do have the right to voice their concerns,and fight for their rights.

Nevertheless,I want to ask this question.Do gays feel that marriage between them will please the non-gay world they are surrounded by? How will marriage define them as it were to heteros?

Do gays change their name,does one person's name become both parties single name?

What legal name will you call yourselves,that is husband or wife,husband husband,wife,wife,whatever?

It would make no difference to two atheist gays if they marry whether a god would be concerned about their contract,but what about two gays who are religious?

Do religious gays feel that their marriage would make them more acceptable before God?

Do you feel that gay marriage will take a long time for the w o r l d to accept or rather a shorter time period?

Gay men especially are a lot more promiscuous than lesbians,will marriage really have an impact on curbing promiscuity?
Pad

Rockford, IL

#8 Mar 1, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
No, actually, the courts have deemed marriage a basic CIVIL right, not a privilege.
And, no, gay people are not sterile, and we have the same abilities to form families and raise children that straight folks have. Not all marriages between males and females are "productive", either.
The courts stay out of legislating productivity requirements in marriage, for good reason.
Marriage contracts between two men or two women,how will they compare to the two gender marriage legally?
Pad

Rockford, IL

#9 Mar 1, 2013
Pierre wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why do gay men choose to do each other in the butt, then adopting little boys instead of marrying women and having their own children?
What is the status on gay civil unions in Europe? Do gay marriages exist in Europe?What is the difference between the civil unions and marriage contracts?

I know I am full of questions,but all of these questions I asked in three posts are asked by everyone.It is important to know how to understand the reality of these liasons and unions in a legal binding agreement.

Location hidden

#10 Mar 1, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Very well done,and it hit hard to every fiber of issue concerning how people feel about either their gayness or the rights of such respectfully.
I find the whole matter a constant bore,but realize that individuals who want freedoms,and feel denied,do have the right to voice their concerns,and fight for their rights.
Nevertheless,I want to ask this question. Do gays feel that marriage between them will please the non-gay world they are surrounded by? <quoted text>

"Feel" or think? Do you think, while we only get to "feel"?
To non-equivocal portion of your question: In the sense of absolute Freedom and guaranteed Rights, trying to "please the non-gay world" is not pertinent.

http://www.bartleby.com/17/1/62.html

<quoted text> How will marriage define them as it were to heteros? Do gays change their name,does one person's name become both parties single name? <quoted text>

As with heteros, some do, some don't, and some hyphenate their last names together.

<quoted text> What legal name will you call yourselves,that is husband or wife,husband husband,wife,wife,whatever? <quoted text>

Check out the etymology and historical anthropolgy of those terms.
I prefer "spouse", from the Latin "sponsus, sponsa", "to pledge or commit through a pledge".

<quoted text> It would make no difference to two atheist gays if they marry whether a god would be concerned about their contract, but what about two gays who are religious? <quoted text>

I imagine that would depend upon their particular religious sect. You'll have to ask them individually, I suppose.

<quoted text> Do religious gays feel that their marriage would make them more acceptable before God? <quoted text>

See above.

Since all we have been demanding is inclusion with the Laws of CIVIL marriage, I suspect that the topic is moot.

<quoted text> Do you feel that gay marriage will take a long time for the w o r l d to accept or rather a shorter time period? <quoted text>

What percentage of "the w o r l d" would satisfy you? Legal inclusion, recognition and protection is all that matters.

<quoted text> Gay men especially are a lot more promiscuous than lesbians. Will marriage really have an impact on curbing promiscuity?
Your supposition is not entirely accurate to all gay men in all places and all times/stages in a gay man's life, nor in all periods of the gay liberation effort.
Who says that the purpose of marriage is to curb promiscuity. It certainly hasn't among heteros. Perhaps gay people are less hypocritical about it?

My experience suggests that when people want to get married they are not usually thinking about promiscuity. I do know quite a few heteros who are into swap parties, and serial "cheating". Serial divorces, too. One wonders at that phenomenon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Gay Marriage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 42 min HILLBILLY 55,924
Judge restores part of Indiana gay marriage suit 18 hr Frankie Rizzo 5
Stay issued in Indiana gay marriage ban case Wed KiMare 21
GOP candidate backs gay marriage Sep 10 Maggie Gallaghers... 15
Supreme Court: Was gay marriage settled in 1972... Sep 9 BEYONDtheCMB 929
Lesbian couple in gay marriage case prepares fo... (Mar '13) Sep 1 Terra Firma 1,568
Texas: Gay-marriage ban best for children Aug 25 Frankie Rizzo 733
•••

People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••