The killing of bin Laden: Was it legal?

Full story: CNN 457
Was the killing of Osama bin Laden legal under international law? The administration says yes, absolutely. Full Story
First Prev
of 23
Next Last
Archangel Gabriel

Australia

#1 May 5, 2011
I really have no problem with how things went down.
being honest

Riverdale, NE

#2 May 5, 2011
who cares as long as he is died

Since: Mar 09

Gladenbach, Germany

#3 May 5, 2011
OF COURSE it wasn't legal!
It MIGHT have been "expedient".
It MIGHT have been (though I very much doubt it) "the only possible option".
It MIGHT have been (though I very much doubt it) a way to avoid future terrorist attacks.(We're going to see just how wrong THAT idea is!)
It MIGHT have been a way to stop bin Laden from speaking out (propagandising) in a court of law.
But zapping into another independent country without permission from its government to carry out a summary execution of somebody who SHOULD be brought to face trial?
Not legal. No way!
(And DON'T tell me that "they were trying to arrest him but he resisted arrest"!)
Brainwashed Tea Party

Jerseyville, IL

#4 May 5, 2011
Legal questions?
Why are the right wing con-jobs wanting to support bin Laden? Will the Bush Family be sad they cannot provide legal assistance to their family friends.
The legal lies of the Bush Administration let bin Laden off the hook and they went after Saddam Hussein for attacking us on 9-11.
2 illegal Bush wars and the T-baggers want to provide a public defender for a dead terrorist.
You Fox Nooze slants really need to stop drinking the Kool Aid you call Tea.
If the Bush family wasn't in bed with the bin Ladens we would of never been attacked by Al Qaida in the first place.

Gladenbach, Germany

#5 May 5, 2011
Would the US Government consider it "legal" if Iranian crack troops landed by helicopter in New Jersey to take out (dead OR alive) Salman Rushdie, on tour in the USA to promote his latest book (and under an Iranian death sentence for writing "Satanic Verses")?

DON'T tell me
a) that Salman Rushdie ISN'T on tour in the USA. I'm talking hypothetical situation here.
b) that bin Laden DESERVED to die and that Rushdie doesn't. That's a question of point-of-view.
c) that God is on the side of the USA. That's just laughable.
d) that I'm pro-terrorist. I'm NOT. But I AM anti-HYPOCRISY! And the US Government is being hypocritical here UNLESS they recognise Iran's legal right to carry out such an action on US soil.
Proud_to_be_bias ed

Gladenbach, Germany

#6 May 5, 2011
To hairyfrog:
a) Salman Rushdie ISN'T on tour in the USA. Get real.
b) Bin Laden DESERVED to die and Rushdie doesn't. That's no question of point-of-view.
c) God IS on the side of the USA. That's just not debatable.
d) You're just pro-terrorist. YOU should be brought to trial.

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#7 May 5, 2011
The killing of Americans on 9/11. Was it legal? No

“Wake Up!”

Since: Nov 08

FQQLZville USA

#8 May 5, 2011
hairyfrog wrote:
Would the US Government consider it "legal" if Iranian crack troops landed by helicopter in New Jersey to take out (dead OR alive) Salman Rushdie, on tour in the USA to promote his latest book (and under an Iranian death sentence for writing "Satanic Verses")?
DON'T tell me
a) that Salman Rushdie ISN'T on tour in the USA. I'm talking hypothetical situation here.
b) that bin Laden DESERVED to die and that Rushdie doesn't. That's a question of point-of-view.
d) that I'm pro-terrorist. I'm NOT. But I AM anti-HYPOCRISY! And the US Government is being hypocritical here UNLESS they recognise Iran's legal right to carry out such an action on US soil.
Iranian crack troops? Maybe you should quit smoking Iranian crack, you Iranian crackhead.
Hemant

India

#9 May 5, 2011
It was legal!
Legal is what is for the good!
neon

Anonymous Proxy

#10 May 5, 2011
Hemant wrote:
It was legal!
Legal is what is for the good!
Kill US government officials for the good!
Say the Truth

Wallingford, PA

#11 May 5, 2011
jenny623 wrote:
The killing of Americans on 9/11. Was it legal? No
According to leftists we "deserved it"
Say the Truth

Wallingford, PA

#12 May 5, 2011
neon wrote:
<quoted text>
Kill US government officials for the good!
They know where you are.
Kashmir Hamara

Concord, CA

#13 May 5, 2011
The legality arises if US conducted the raid in a sovereign nation. Pakistan being a failed state does not qualify as a sovereign nation.
So, it all looks legal to me.

Gladenbach, Germany

#14 May 5, 2011
WaKe Up FQQLZ wrote:
<quoted text>(QUOTE who="hairyfrog")< quoted text>
DON'T tell me
d) that I'm pro-terrorist. I'm NOT. But I AM anti-HYPOCRISY! And the US Government is being hypocritical here UNLESS they recognise Iran's legal right to carry out such an action on US soil.(/QUOTE)
Iranian crack troops? Maybe you should quit smoking Iranian crack, you Iranian crackhead.
OK, so you don't think that the Iranians have crack troops. Is that your only quibble with my post? How about "crack Israeli troops" or "crack British troops" or "crack German troops"?
The principle is the same.
I'm not sorry that bin Laden is dead.
I DO think that the victory euphoria is rather short-sighted.
Al Qaida has just been given their most powerful martyr... by an internationally illegal action.
Don't think for a SECOND that that isn't going to boost their recruitment drive!
And illegal is illegal... even if the USA does it.
THAT was the question that we were asked to comment on.
Insulting people who think differently from you is hardly going to help ANYTHING.
As far as you're concerned, is EVERYBODY who disagrees with the way that 2 USA administrations (from both viable political parties) has handled all this a "crackhead"? Or Iranian?
I think that we give the WHOLE situation a LOT more serious thought than you and your kind do.
World Court After Obama

Modesto, CA

#15 May 5, 2011
Now the World Court wants to indict Obama for a war crime???

“squuuze me”

Since: Feb 09

Florida, USA

#16 May 5, 2011
hairyfrog wrote:
OF COURSE it wasn't legal!
It MIGHT have been "expedient".
It MIGHT have been (though I very much doubt it) "the only possible option".
It MIGHT have been (though I very much doubt it) a way to avoid future terrorist attacks.(We're going to see just how wrong THAT idea is!)
It MIGHT have been a way to stop bin Laden from speaking out (propagandising) in a court of law.
But zapping into another independent country without permission from its government to carry out a summary execution of somebody who SHOULD be brought to face trial?
Not legal. No way!
(And DON'T tell me that "they were trying to arrest him but he resisted arrest"!)
Since the USA answers to no one, the USA gets to decide what is legal ...
End of your rant.

Since: May 08

Miami

#17 May 5, 2011
It was legal. Legality is determined by the terminolgy used not by the morality of the act. You or I could be killed legally if the proper terminolgy is used to define the act.

Gladenbach, Germany

#18 May 5, 2011
Magic Marc wrote:
It was legal. Legality is determined by the terminolgy used not by the morality of the act. You or I could be killed legally if the proper terminolgy is used to define the act.
Ah, so you admit that it wasn't a moral act? Well, at least that's a step in the right direction.
NOW I'd be interested in your explaining the "terminology" according to which this act was legal.
Is it legal for soldiers from one country to invade another country (without declaring war on it) and summarily execute a fugitive?
Would it be legal if France did it in the USA?
Or is it ONLY legal because it was the USA who did it (as that legal genius "hick-up" claims)?
And you wonder why there are so many volunteers for Al Qaida!!!

Gladenbach, Germany

#19 May 5, 2011
I WANT the violence to stop. I don't want any more terrorist attacks. ANYWHERE!!!
What some of you Super Patriots don't seem to realise is that as long as the USA declares itself to be the ONLY entity with the right to carry out reprisals, the violence will NOT stop.
Throwing your weight around (just because you`re the fattest cat around) does NOT make you a lot of friends.
It DOES create strong resentment.
... And the violence spirals ever higher. With innocent deaths on ALL sides.
Is your national pride THAT important... that little children have to die for it???
911 was an inside job

United States

#20 May 5, 2011
Say the Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
According to leftists we "deserved it"
According to a great deal of evidence, we* did it, and I'm absolutely sure that wasn't legal.

----------
* by "we" I don't mean me (of course, I can't speak for you). I mean elements within our own government and military who shut down pre-9/11 FBI, CIA, Army Intelligence, and other investigations, executed the demolitions at the World Trade Center, disabled air defenses the day of, and derailed investigations post-9/11.
----------

These victims' family members deserve answers:

&

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 23
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Bin Laden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Did enhanced interrogation help the CIA find Os... Dec '14 lol 2
Romney 'applauds' Obama for Osama bin Laden raid (May '12) Nov '14 Bruno24 50
Push to declassify more documents seized from b... (Jun '13) Apr '14 swedenforever 4
Bergen: Pakistan hid Bin Laden? Prove it (Mar '14) Mar '14 Quagmire 12
Pakistan reduces sentence for doctor accused of... (Mar '14) Mar '14 PAKIs_TALK_OUT_OF... 4
NY Jury Selection Starts for Bin Laden Son-in-Law (Mar '14) Mar '14 Clintons NEED A T... 3
Order: Destroy pics of bin Laden's body (Feb '14) Feb '14 mjjcpa 1
More from around the web