James Durbin Eliminated on 'American ...

James Durbin Eliminated on 'American Idol'

There are 30 comments on the ABC News story from May 13, 2011, titled James Durbin Eliminated on 'American Idol'. In it, ABC News reports that:

James Durbin Eliminated; Three Remain on 'American Idol' May 13, 2011 In this publicity image released by Fox, James Durbin performs on the singing competition series "American Idol," on May 11, 2011 in Los Angeles.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ABC News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dee Dee T

Pataskala, OH

#1 May 13, 2011
I was completely shocked that James was eliminated. I really thought it would be Haley. Don't worry James, being the winner doesn't always guarantee a successful career. Many times the runners-up do much better. I also want to add that I thought it was very inappropriate to have Lady Gaa Gaa as a mentor. First I feel she's just a flash in the pan with no real staying power. Secondly I think she made the contestants feel uncomfortable. If a singer has real talent that don't need a gimmick to make it. Why not have someone like Ann Wilson, Pat Benetar, Steve Perry, Darryl Hall, etc. be a mentor. Someone whose known for their great voice that's a legend in the music world

“Whats the matter lolol”

Since: Jan 07

Toronto CANADA

#3 May 13, 2011
What a bunch of bs the reason why he was voted out was because he is not single and has a kid so all the teeny boppers voted for the otheres. Btw Lady ga ga is a true talent even without the gimmick
george

United States

#4 May 13, 2011
Was very dissapointed to see James voted off, Haley did not deserve to stay over James, he was Scotty's major compitition, with him gone its pretty easy to predict who will win this.
But we have to remember, its just a show, and these last 4 have made thier names household names, if they really have what it takes they all 4 will have awesome careers, and if they don't we will never hear of them again, simple.
I'm not worried about James, at least now he is free to start a career and sign those contracts, if he works hard and listens to those that know better he will go far, if he acts like Haley did and refuse to listen to what the experts are saying then he will fade into the future, I'm betting after this show we will never hear Haley's name again.
I do believe Scotty, Lauren, and James will be on the best selling list within the next year or so, regardless of the outcome of this show.
As far as lady gaga? as long as you don't have to watch her perform and just listen to the music, she does have talent, but her performances make me want to look for the elephants and monkeys that should be on stage with the circus act she puts on. just my humble opinion. I like her music, just turned off by her style.

“Shoot First, Think Never”

Since: Jun 09

Elk Grove

#5 May 13, 2011
Lady Gaga....she is her own worst enemy with her performances. Vocally...not bad I guess.

As far as James Durbin, I hadn't watched Idol since the first season. And once again I find Idol to be a dog and pony show and a joke. That's why Simon left. Either because of the voting or because American has its head stuck up their rears not recognize real talent.

Now we are stuck with 3 losers who should have been voted off long ago.

Their vocals are many times weak, performances are boring.

The four best performers and singers aren't there. Thia, Pia, Casey and James.

And James was in a class all his own. Whatever.

Life goes on, James will get a darn good contract better than American Idol, the one who eventually wins will go into obscurity and the insanity will start all over again next year...where I will once again not watch for another 9 to 10 years.

Time to get back to my Christian metal and Christian contempory music. Where Mandisa {another one voted off too early but successful} is doing quite well.
bigdog423

Ball Ground, GA

#6 May 13, 2011
they should have saved their save

“Shoot First, Think Never”

Since: Jun 09

Elk Grove

#7 May 13, 2011
bigdog423 wrote:
they should have saved their save
Agreed.
Pleasure Beach Lover

Richmond, VA

#8 May 13, 2011
Dee Dee T wrote:
I was completely shocked that James was eliminated. I really thought it would be Haley. Don't worry James, being the winner doesn't always guarantee a successful career. Many times the runners-up do much better. I also want to add that I thought it was very inappropriate to have Lady Gaa Gaa as a mentor. First I feel she's just a flash in the pan with no real staying power. Secondly I think she made the contestants feel uncomfortable. If a singer has real talent that don't need a gimmick to make it. Why not have someone like Ann Wilson, Pat Benetar, Steve Perry, Darryl Hall, etc. be a mentor. Someone whose known for their great voice that's a legend in the music world
Flash in the pan????? For how many years did Pat Benatar put out hit singles? 2 or 3???
Lady Gaga already has more hit singles at 25 years old, and they're all different. She'll be around
much longer than you can imagine. For that matter, how about Cher? Cher's had tons of hits
and has been in the business for more than FORTY years!
Dee Dee T

Pataskala, OH

#9 May 14, 2011
Pleasure Beach Lover wrote:
<quoted text>
Flash in the pan????? For how many years did Pat Benatar put out hit singles? 2 or 3???
Lady Gaga already has more hit singles at 25 years old, and they're all different. She'll be around
much longer than you can imagine. For that matter, how about Cher? Cher's had tons of hits
and has been in the business for more than FORTY years!
I hate to break this to you sweetie but Pat Benetar and the others I mentioned made hits for more than 2 or 3 years. Let's meet back here in 10 years and we'll see if Lady Goo Goo is still making hits. Flash in the pan is right. If you have real talent you don't need a gimmick to make it in the music world. How many acts have made it big in the first couple years and then faded????? Too many to mention. Speaking of acts that will fade, where do you think Justin Bieber will be in 10 years? I don't think Goo Goo helped those kids at all when she was on the show, all she did was embarrass them.
Pleasure Beach Lover

Richmond, VA

#12 May 23, 2011
Dee Dee T wrote:
<quoted text>I hate to break this to you sweetie but Pat Benetar and the others I mentioned made hits for more than 2 or 3 years. Let's meet back here in 10 years and we'll see if Lady Goo Goo is still making hits. Flash in the pan is right. If you have real talent you don't need a gimmick to make it in the music world. How many acts have made it big in the first couple years and then faded????? Too many to mention. Speaking of acts that will fade, where do you think Justin Bieber will be in 10 years? I don't think Goo Goo helped those kids at all when she was on the show, all she did was embarrass them.
Justin Bieber won't be around. Lady Gaga will. Sometimes you DO need a gimmick. How many
REALLY talented starving artists are out there? Not everyone can make it. Let me know how long Pat Benetar was recording hits when you get a minute. I'm not saying she's not talented, I'm just saying that she wasn't around for more than a few years as a "star", compared to someone like Madonna for example.
Dee Dee T

Lucas, OH

#13 May 24, 2011
<quoted text>
Justin Bieber won't be around. Lady Gaga will. Sometimes you DO need a gimmick. How many
REALLY talented starving artists are out there? Not everyone can make it. Let me know how long Pat Benetar was recording hits when you get a minute. I'm not saying she's not talented, I'm just saying that she wasn't around for more than a few years as a "star", compared to someone like Madonna for example.
Do you really think that Lady Gaga can compare to any of the people I mentioned? How long has she been around, 10 seconds? Pat Benetar had her first hit record over 30 years ago, do you honestly thing anyone will give a rat's behind about her in 30 years? I'm guessing I'm older than you and I've seen alot of musical acts come and go. Do you remember Boy George? I actually think he's a much better singer than GooGoo but he started out big and sank like a lead balloon. At least he wasn't sleazy. As far as Madonna goes the only thing she's good for is tabloid banter. Most people do not take Madonna seriously. People are already getting sick of hearing about Lady Gaga. The thing I find most disgusting is that she has a very young following and has very suggestive lyrics in her songs. I just don't have any respect for that crap at all. BTW--if you don't know much about Pat Benetar I suggest you google her. She had more than just a few hits. As far as the other people I mentioned, there is no way in the world you can compare them to Googoo. Absolutely, positively no way.
Pleasure Beach Lover

Richmond, VA

#14 May 24, 2011
Dee Dee T wrote:
<quoted text>Do you really think that Lady Gaga can compare to any of the people I mentioned? How long has she been around, 10 seconds? Pat Benetar had her first hit record over 30 years ago, do you honestly thing anyone will give a rat's behind about her in 30 years? I'm guessing I'm older than you and I've seen alot of musical acts come and go. Do you remember Boy George? I actually think he's a much better singer than GooGoo but he started out big and sank like a lead balloon. At least he wasn't sleazy. As far as Madonna goes the only thing she's good for is tabloid banter. Most people do not take Madonna seriously. People are already getting sick of hearing about Lady Gaga. The thing I find most disgusting is that she has a very young following and has very suggestive lyrics in her songs. I just don't have any respect for that crap at all. BTW--if you don't know much about Pat Benetar I suggest you google her. She had more than just a few hits. As far as the other people I mentioned, there is no way in the world you can compare them to Googoo. Absolutely, positively no way.
I'm 54. What I'm saying is that for the past 3 years or so, Lady Gaga has been putting out huge hit songs. She's got a long way to go before she's done.

Yes, Pat Benetar had her first hit 30 years ago, but when did she have her LAST hit? About 26 years ago. She was big for about 4 years. When was the last number one album by Benetar?
That's my point. No one's on top forever. Although....Madonna's done a pretty good job of it.

Does Pat Benetar write her own music? I'll have to look that up, because Lady Gaga DOES, and Madonna writes a lot of her own. Lady Gaga's lyrics are no more suggestive than anyone else's nowadays.
Pleasure Beach Lover

Richmond, VA

#15 May 24, 2011
Madonna's Top Ten Hits According to Billboard:

1984: Lucky Star, Borderline, Like A Virgin (number 1)
1985: Material Girl, Crazy For You (number 1), Angel, Dress You Up
1986: Live To Tell (number 1), Papa Don't Preach (number 1), True Blue,
Open Your Heart (number 1)
1987: La Isla Bonita, Who's That Girl (number 1), Causing A Commotion
1988: Like A Prayer (number 1), Express Yourself, Cherish
1990: Keep It Together, Vogue (number 1), Hanky Panky,
Justify My Love (number 1)
1991: Rescue Me
1992: This Used To Be My Playground (number 1), Erotica, Deeper And Deeper
1994: I'll Remember, Secret, Take A Bow (number 1)
1995: You'll See
1996: Don't Cry For Me Argentina
1998: Frozen, Ray Of Light
2000: Music (number 1), Don't Tell Me
2002: Die Another Day
2005: Hung Up
2008: 4 Minutes

Ok, so let's recap: 24 YEARS OF HIT SONGS
12 Number one hits
25 Top ten hits

Not too shabby, huh?

Dee Dee T

Johnstown, OH

#16 May 26, 2011
Madonna's Top Ten Hits According to Billboard:
1984: Lucky Star, Borderline, Like A Virgin (number 1)
1985: Material Girl, Crazy For You (number 1), Angel, Dress You Up
1986: Live To Tell (number 1), Papa Don't Preach (number 1), True Blue,
Open Your Heart (number 1)
1987: La Isla Bonita, Who's That Girl (number 1), Causing A Commotion
1988: Like A Prayer (number 1), Express Yourself, Cherish
1990: Keep It Together, Vogue (number 1), Hanky Panky,
Justify My Love (number 1)
1991: Rescue Me
1992: This Used To Be My Playground (number 1), Erotica, Deeper And Deeper
1994: I'll Remember, Secret, Take A Bow (number 1)
1995: You'll See
1996: Don't Cry For Me Argentina
1998: Frozen, Ray Of Light
2000: Music (number 1), Don't Tell Me
2002: Die Another Day
2005: Hung Up
2008: 4 Minutes
Ok, so let's recap: 24 YEARS OF HIT SONGS
12 Number one hits
25 Top ten hits
Not too shabby, huh?
Yes, Madonna has had alot of hit songs but honestly I've never even heard of the last 5 songs you mentioned. My point is that American Idol needs to have mentors on there with some class. Lady Gaga has no class. Pat Benatar didn't have a string of hits for 30 years but she is an excellent singer. I'm sorry, I'm not into that mindless bubblegum crap. I don't think all of Lady Gaga's songs are bad but she's sleazy. A respectful person doesn't conduct themselves the way she did last night on Idol knowing there's a bunch of young kids in the audience and watching on TV.
Pleasure Beach Lover

Richmond, VA

#17 May 26, 2011
Dee Dee T wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, Madonna has had alot of hit songs but honestly I've never even heard of the last 5 songs you mentioned. My point is that American Idol needs to have mentors on there with some class. Lady Gaga has no class. Pat Benatar didn't have a string of hits for 30 years but she is an excellent singer. I'm sorry, I'm not into that mindless bubblegum crap. I don't think all of Lady Gaga's songs are bad but she's sleazy. A respectful person doesn't conduct themselves the way she did last night on Idol knowing there's a bunch of young kids in the audience and watching on TV.
I'm not surprised that you never heard of Madonna's last 5 hits, but even still....that's a lot of
friggin' records sold! Have you ever seen Lady Gaga being interviewed? She's got a lot more class than you think. And here's the thing....she's like 25 years old! She's a kid! And it's not bubblegum, babe. It's dance. It may sound repetitive with a huge beat, but that's what dance is supposed to have. It's not poetry, it's not Dylan, it doesn't make you want to kill yourself....it's dance music! It's fun!

Regarding the sleazy factor and kids watching.... have you ever watched Two and A Half Men?
That "family" sitcom is pretty racy for its time slot, but no one complains about that!

FYI...whatever you think of Gaga's songs....she also has a great voice. Like Benatar, she's no Celine or Streisand, but a great voice none the less.
screen

Walnut Grove, CA

#18 May 27, 2011
I saw Lady Gaga perform on the Oprah Winfrey show. She was playing the piano on a platform that spanned at least 10 feet up and was so bizzare looking, that even Elton John would be envious. It was an awesome sight, and the kool thing about it was that she gave her sister credit for designing that incredible looking crop.

Oprah loves her, and she loves Oprah. When being interviewed by Oprah, Gaga presented herself in a very respectable and sincere manner that just "blew me away".. for someone who looked like they just came from a freak show. I must also admit that Lady Gaga did show alot of class during the interview, and that was unexpected by me. As far as what she presents to others, I cannot say; I can only say that what she presents from within herself.. appears to be good.
Pleasure Beach Lover

Richmond, VA

#19 May 27, 2011
screen wrote:
I saw Lady Gaga perform on the Oprah Winfrey show. She was playing the piano on a platform that spanned at least 10 feet up and was so bizzare looking, that even Elton John would be envious. It was an awesome sight, and the kool thing about it was that she gave her sister credit for designing that incredible looking crop.
Oprah loves her, and she loves Oprah. When being interviewed by Oprah, Gaga presented herself in a very respectable and sincere manner that just "blew me away".. for someone who looked like they just came from a freak show. I must also admit that Lady Gaga did show alot of class during the interview, and that was unexpected by me. As far as what she presents to others, I cannot say; I can only say that what she presents from within herself.. appears to be good.
My Mom saw her on The View the other day (Mom's 86). She just loves her! Gaga is very well spoken and explained that the costumes are a "mask" that allow her to perform. She's actually very insecure
and was bullied horrifically when she was in school. She goes to church on Sunday and is basically a good girl.
screen

Walnut Grove, CA

#20 May 27, 2011
<quoted text>
My Mom saw her on The View the other day (Mom's 86). She just loves her! Gaga is very well spoken and explained that the costumes are a "mask" that allow her to perform. She's actually very insecure
and was bullied horrifically when she was in school. She goes to church on Sunday and is basically a good girl.
That's good to hear, not the bullying part of course. Lady Gaga, along with a few other bands, performed live here (a couple of years ago) in a professional baseball stadium that I work at. Having the opportunity to listen to a few of her songs (live), I knew right away that she would be a performer to be reckoned with.

I told a few of my friends about her, and they too eventually recognized her as someone who can go far with their career; so long as she stays on top of her game.
Dee Dee T

Johnstown, OH

#21 May 27, 2011
<quoted text>
Do you think she wears her shoes that look like a certain part of the male anatomy to church? She wore them when she was on American Idol. My mother is 88 and she watched the finale of American Idol with me on Wednesday. She thought Lady Gaga was horrible. Not so much her singing but the way she presented herself.
Pleasure Beach Lover

Richmond, VA

#22 May 31, 2011
Dee Dee T wrote:
<quoted text>Do you think she wears her shoes that look like a certain part of the male anatomy to church? She wore them when she was on American Idol. My mother is 88 and she watched the finale of American Idol with me on Wednesday. She thought Lady Gaga was horrible. Not so much her singing but the way she presented herself.
I didn't notice the shoes. Let me take a look and get back to you.
Pleasure Beach Lover

Richmond, VA

#23 May 31, 2011
Dee Dee T wrote:
<quoted text>Do you think she wears her shoes that look like a certain part of the male anatomy to church? She wore them when she was on American Idol. My mother is 88 and she watched the finale of American Idol with me on Wednesday. She thought Lady Gaga was horrible. Not so much her singing but the way she presented herself.
Hahaha.....geez! I guess I wasn't paying attention. No, I doubt she wears those to church.
She certainly does push the envelope with her outfits. That's the problem with me though.
I don't pay much attention to her outrageous outfits, I like her music. Maybe she'll calm it down
after a while, like Madonna did. We'll see. But I still do think she's gonna be around for
a long time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - American Idol Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News ABC announces revival of - American Idol' next ... May '17 What a Waste 1
News Ellen Degeneres: Judging 'American Idol' was on... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Praise Be 1
News 'American Idol' finalist Michael Johns dead at 35 (Aug '14) Aug '14 Vic 1
News 'American Idol' Contestant Michael Johns Dies (Aug '14) Aug '14 Big mike 2
News San Jose: 'American Idol' sweethearts headline ... (May '14) May '14 gord 1
News 'American Idol' recap: Dexter Roberts' luck run... (Apr '14) May '14 Fanbase 8
News Lawsuit claims Sony stiffed 'American Idol' con... (Feb '14) Feb '14 3 Months USA Oil ... 1
More from around the web