Serena Williams Saunters into 2nd Round

Serena Williams Saunters into 2nd Round

There are 32 comments on the RIA Novosti story from Jun 26, 2012, titled Serena Williams Saunters into 2nd Round. In it, RIA Novosti reports that:

Serena Williams sealed her place in the second round of Wimbledon with ease Tuesday, beating Barbora Zahlavova Strycova of the Czech Republic in straight sets.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at RIA Novosti.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Italain Stallion

Orleans, Canada

#21 Jul 3, 2012
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems like you just have a problem with powerfully built women. As I said before, Serena Williams has about the same build as any number of other professional tennis players. You're just going to have to learn to deal with it.
<quoted text>
Serena Williams at her best is AT LEAST the equal of Steffi Graf at hers. The only grounstroke Graf had that matches Williams was her lethal forehand. Williams' forehand is every bit as strong, and her backhand and serve has no peers. When she is at 90% she is almost unbeatable.
And yes, Graf won 22 GS to Williams 13. But you have to remember, the last 11 of her Slams were won after Monica Seles, her only true rival, was stabbed and removed from the tour. Seles had already won 8 GS and had beaten Graf in 3 of the last 4 Slam finals when she was attacked during a FO warmup tournament which sidelined her for 2 years. By the time she became competitive again, Graf had won 9 more Slams. Seles never returned to her old form and Graf won 2 more Slams before she retired.
Just because YOU say Serena is built like other female tennis players doesn't mean that is the the case. She looks more like a man than any female tennis player since Navratilova. There is no part of Serena that looks female to me. She looks more like an ape if you ask me. And she has some of the worst on-court behaviour in the history of tennis.
john

United States

#22 Jul 3, 2012
Italain Stallion wrote:
<quoted text>Just because YOU say Serena is built like other female tennis players doesn't mean that is the the case. She looks more like a man than any female tennis player since Navratilova. There is no part of Serena that looks female to me. She looks more like an ape if you ask me. And she has some of the worst on-court behaviour in the history of tennis.
Ape huh. I knew the only thing that bother you was her race. Tennis is not a beauty pageant it's athletes competing. What a racist comment.j

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

#23 Jul 3, 2012
Italain Stallion wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because YOU say Serena is built like other female tennis players doesn't mean that is the the case. She looks more like a man than any female tennis player since Navratilova. There is no part of Serena that looks female to me. She looks more like an ape if you ask me. And she has some of the worst on-court behaviour in the history of tennis.
I think John is right about you. I was trying to give you the benefit of a doubt, but, it's clear now. You ARE a racist.
Italain Stallion

Orleans, Canada

#24 Jul 4, 2012
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Sharapova played another one of those tentative matches and was routinely dismissed by Lisicki in straight sets. See ya!
And Lisicki was dismissed by Kerber so it doesn't really matter.
Italain Stallion

Orleans, Canada

#25 Jul 4, 2012
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been a tennis fan since Laver won his first Grand Slam in '62. I have watched a lot of sports, with tennis being one of my favorites. Believe me, screaming at umpires and line-judges is one of the oldest of the tennis on-court "sins". What Serena Williams said and did in the '09 USO pales in comparison to the antics of Ilie Nastase, John McEnroe, and Jimmy Connors in their heyday.
Nastase routinely cursed at the umpires (in Italian), and even spit at them. I'm sure you've seen the videos of McEnroe and Connors yelling at line-judges. What you don't know is that they routinely displayed this behavior, but were rarely called on it. Those fans who actually attended those, and other, matches heard first-hand all of the colorful language used by both players.
I don't condone any of these outbursts, but I also don't see one as any more egregious than another.
<quoted text>
She may not have been immediately suspended from the tour, but she was given a suspended ban from future USOs, put on probation for 2 YEARS, and given the largest fine in professional tennis history. I should think that would be enough...
Her getting put on probation was definitely not enough. She should have been suspended from the tour for 2 years and fined $250,000 to send a message that this type of behaviour will not be tolerated. If this had happened, maybe she would not have acted like a bitch again in 2011 in the Stosur match. My guess is that if the tournament was not in the US, she likely would have been suspended and fined a lot more. She should have also apologized to both the referee and especially the line judge which she threatened. Where do you get your facts when you state above that she was given a " suspended ban from future USO's "? Totally out to lunch you are with many of your facts.

As far as the behaviour of Nastase, McEnroe, Connors and others going unpunished, I guess it simply goes to show you that these umpires and referees have no balls whatsoever. If I was the umpire and was cursed at or spat on, I would have kicked them out of the match and called for the tour to suspend these players.
john

Cape Girardeau, MO

#26 Jul 4, 2012
Italain Stallion wrote:
<quoted text>Her getting put on probation was definitely not enough. She should have been suspended from the tour for 2 years and fined $250,000 to send a message that this type of behaviour will not be tolerated. If this had happened, maybe she would not have acted like a bitch again in 2011 in the Stosur match. My guess is that if the tournament was not in the US, she likely would have been suspended and fined a lot more. She should have also apologized to both the referee and especially the line judge which she threatened. Where do you get your facts when you state above that she was given a " suspended ban from future USO's "? Totally out to lunch you are with many of your facts.

As far as the behaviour of Nastase, McEnroe, Connors and others going unpunished, I guess it simply goes to show you that these umpires and referees have no balls whatsoever. If I was the umpire and was cursed at or spat on, I would have kicked them out of the match and called for the tour to suspend these players.
please do not argue with this man he knows everything. He is no different from Serena on here arrogant as he think she is , he does the same on here. He just as rude as he say she is and just as much of an ass. He downs people for their opinion with name calling. You need to be fined!
Italain Stallion

Orleans, Canada

#27 Jul 4, 2012
john wrote:
It wasn't with ease she struggled in the second set.
The headline should read " Serena waddles into 2nd round ".
john

Cape Girardeau, MO

#28 Jul 4, 2012
Italain Stallion wrote:
<quoted text>The headline should read " Serena waddles into 2nd round ".
The woman is fit. Make up your mind first you call her a man now your calling her fat. Just because you don't like her build does not mean she's fat. You don't see super models competing in Wimbledon.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#29 Jul 4, 2012
Italain Stallion wrote:
<quoted text>
And Lisicki was dismissed by Kerber so it doesn't really matter.
It matters if you're a Sharapova fan.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#30 Jul 4, 2012
Italain Stallion wrote:
<quoted text>
Her getting put on probation was definitely not enough. She should have been suspended from the tour for 2 years and fined $250,000 to send a message that this type of behaviour will not be tolerated. If this had happened, maybe she would not have acted like a bitch again in 2011 in the Stosur match. My guess is that if the tournament was not in the US, she likely would have been suspended and fined a lot more.
It wouldn't have mattered where the infractions occurred. All penalties are handed down by the WTA governing body and are not based on where the infraction occurred, but what infraction occurred.

She should have also apologized to both the referee and especially the line judge which she threatened.
She did.

Where do you get your facts when you state above that she was given a " suspended ban from future USO's "? Totally out to lunch you are with many of your facts.
Not really hard to find. These are the first two sources I came across:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/willi...

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34204918/ns/spo...

As far as the behaviour of Nastase, McEnroe, Connors and others going unpunished, I guess it simply goes to show you that these umpires and referees have no balls whatsoever. If I was the umpire and was cursed at or spat on, I would blah, blah, blah...
Irrelevant. You were NOT the umpire so it doesn't matter.
Italain Stallion

Orleans, Canada

#31 Jul 7, 2012
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems like you just have a problem with powerfully built women. As I said before, Serena Williams has about the same build as any number of other professional tennis players. You're just going to have to learn to deal with it.
<quoted text>
Serena Williams at her best is AT LEAST the equal of Steffi Graf at hers. The only grounstroke Graf had that matches Williams was her lethal forehand. Williams' forehand is every bit as strong, and her backhand and serve has no peers. When she is at 90% she is almost unbeatable.
And yes, Graf won 22 GS to Williams 13. But you have to remember, the last 11 of her Slams were won after Monica Seles, her only true rival, was stabbed and removed from the tour. Seles had already won 8 GS and had beaten Graf in 3 of the last 4 Slam finals when she was attacked during a FO warmup tournament which sidelined her for 2 years. By the time she became competitive again, Graf had won 9 more Slams. Seles never returned to her old form and Graf won 2 more Slams before she retired.
She has a great serve, good forehand, so so backhand and shitty attitude!!!!! If things don't go her way, she starts whining and threatening linespeople and umpires. What a disgrace she is to this game.
joy D

Seaham, UK

#32 Jul 7, 2012
Congratulation Serena!!!!!!!!!!Wow! 5th Wembeldon grand slam victory.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Serena Williams Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Serena Williams: 'If I were a man,' I would hav... Dec 28 HombreMan 1
Kerber wins!!!!! (Jan '16) Sep '16 tanner 3
News No. 1 Justine Henin retires from tennis immedia... (May '08) Sep '16 izakwalz 62
News Serena Williams Wins Rio Opener; 1st Match Sinc... Aug '16 Blink 3
News Serena Williams Bikini Pics, Sex On Dubai Beach... (Nov '08) Jun '16 Pete 24
News Serena Williams Withdraws From Madrid, Her Thir... (May '16) May '16 bardougle 1
News Serena Williams, Novak Djokovic are delayed but... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Fart news 2
More from around the web