I have no plans to quit, says Serena

Jun 23, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Reuters

Serena Williams of the U.S. reacts during her match against Virginie Razzano of France during the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris May 29, 2012.

Comments
1 - 20 of 31 Comments Last updated Aug 30, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Regina

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jun 24, 2012
 
Good ridance! I really am sick and tired of Serena Williams. She is a great champion no question about it, but her diva atitude is much more then I care to take it.
ESPN and their commentators love her, so when she's playing that's all we will see: her games. Does not matter if in anoter court a great game is going on: they will show some flashes of the game to run back to Serena's game, even if is the most boring game.
So I am all ready to see new players for a chang.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jun 24, 2012
 
Regina wrote:
Good ridance! I really am sick and tired of Serena Williams. She is a great champion no question about it, but her diva atitude is much more then I care to take it.
ESPN and their commentators love her, so when she's playing that's all we will see: her games. Does not matter if in anoter court a great game is going on: they will show some flashes of the game to run back to Serena's game, even if is the most boring game.
So I am all ready to see new players for a chang.
Great! Then I expect you to have the same attitude when it comes to Sharapova's and Clijster's matches. Both have been around for quite a while, and both are darlings of ESPN and the Tennis Channel, just like Williams sisters. You'll be seeing a lot of them regardless of how "boring" their matches are, or how compelling another match is that is being played at the same time on another court.

The same holds true for the men's side. We'll be watching Federer slosh through his early "boring" rounds, along with Nadal and Djokovic, regardless of the quality of tennis being played on the other courts. How dare ESPN and the Tennis Channel show the superstars of the sport, rather than focusing on players you've seldom, or never, heard of.

Let 'em have it Regina! Can't wait to hear more of your self-righteous indignation...
ralphQ

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jun 24, 2012
 
"Great! Then I expect you to have the same attitude when it comes to Sharapova's and Clijster's matches. Both have been around for quite a while, and both are darlings of ESPN and the Tennis Channel, just like Williams sisters. You'll be seeing a lot of them regardless of how "boring" their matches are, or how compelling another match is that is being played at the same time on another court."

Clijsters and Sharapova boring? Clijsters is retiring in two months so you WON'T be seeing alot of her unfortunately. And why should Regina have to have the same attitude towards Clijsters and Sharapova? She stated the reason for her distaste for Serena and Clijsters (being one of the nicest players in tennis) and Sharapova a true and humbling player with a great sense of humor, have nothing to do with Serena's demeanor.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jun 24, 2012
 
ralphQ wrote:
"Clijsters and Sharapova boring?
Yeah. Believe it or not, EVERBODY plays matches that can appear to be "boring" to someone.

.
Clijsters is retiring in two months so you WON'T be seeing alot of her unfortunately.
You mean, retiring "again", don't you?

Retiring doesn't mean you won't be seeing her. All it means is that she won't be playing the "active" circuit. She'll still do a bunch of fundraisers, exhibitions, and WTT. You'll still have plenty of opportunity to get your fill.

.
And why should Regina have to have the same attitude towards Clijsters and Sharapova? She stated the reason for her distaste for Serena
You mean the "diva" remark? How is Serena Williams' attitude any different than that of Sharapova's? Most of the female players on tour have been at odds with Sharapova because of her attitude. She has been MUCH more of a "diva" throughout her career, right up to the point where she had shoulder surgery and dropped out of the top 100. Many of the other tour players have complained about the preferential treatment she has received on and off the court, and about all of the noise she makes when she plays. Yes, "diva" fits her as well as any other player who has reached the pinnacle of their sport.

.
and Clijsters (being one of the nicest players in tennis) and Sharapova a true and humbling player with a great sense of humor, have nothing to do with Serena's demeanor.
All these current and former #1s have had their moments. Just ask Henin and Hewitt about Clijster. They've both seen the ugly side of her. The same is true of Williams and Sharapova. No one is perfect, and the similarities of the players at the top far outweigh their differences. To continually pick one player to demonize while ignoring the faults of all the others is petty and mean-spirited.

One last point. Tennis is a sport, but it's also a business. Businesses rely on revenue to survive and grow. The Business of Tennis is funded by the TV and tournament contracts they enter into. Those networks and organizations that pay good money for the rights to host and televise tournaments do so with the expectation of making a profit. The surest way to do that is to provide the viewing audience with a "product" they recognize and are willing to pay to see. How is that supposed to happen if ESPN is airing a match between the #88 and #121 player in the world, while ignoring a match being played by a current or former #1 player?

Yes, tennis fans will watch a compelling match between lesser known players, but that's not what brings the ratings in, or fills the seats. The public pays to see "stars" play, not people they've barely (or never) heard of. When #88 wins enough matches to warrant national attention, then they'll get their 15 minutes. Until then, their matches will be ignored while we watch the top ten slosh through their early matches, unless something truly historic/epic/compelling occurs on another court (i.e., Wimbledon 2010 - Isner/Mahut).
Italain Stallion

Kanata, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jul 2, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. Believe it or not, EVERBODY plays matches that can appear to be "boring" to someone.
.

<quoted text>
You mean the "diva" remark? How is Serena Williams' attitude any different than that of Sharapova's? Most of the female players on tour have been at odds with Sharapova because of her attitude. She has been MUCH more of a "diva" throughout her career, right up to the point where she had shoulder surgery and dropped out of the top 100. Many of the other tour players have complained about the preferential treatment she has received on and off the court, and about all of the noise she makes when she plays. Yes, "diva" fits her as well as any other player who has reached the pinnacle of their sport.
.
<quoted text>
All these current and former #1s have had their moments. Just ask Henin and Hewitt about Clijster. They've both seen the ugly side of her. The same is true of Williams and Sharapova. No one is perfect, and the similarities of the players at the top far outweigh their differences. To continually pick one player to demonize while ignoring the faults of all the others is petty and mean-spirited.
One last point. Tennis is a sport, but it's also a business. Businesses rely on revenue to survive and grow. The Business of Tennis is funded by the TV and tournament contracts they enter into. Those networks and organizations that pay good money for the rights to host and televise tournaments do so with the expectation of making a profit. The surest way to do that is to provide the viewing audience with a "product" they recognize and are willing to pay to see. How is that supposed to happen if ESPN is airing a match between the #88 and #121 player in the world, while ignoring a match being played by a current or former #1 player?
Yes, tennis fans will watch a compelling match between lesser known players, but that's not what brings the ratings in, or fills the seats. The public pays to see "stars" play, not people they've barely (or never) heard of. When #88 wins enough matches to warrant national attention, then they'll get their 15 minutes. Until then, their matches will be ignored while we watch the top ten slosh through their early matches, unless something truly historic/epic/compelling occurs on another court (i.e., Wimbledon 2010 - Isner/Mahut).
Boy are you ever full of yourself. You make some very good points but are out in left field on some other ones. Your comment about the " mean " side of Clijsters is ridiculous. I have only heard that Clijsters is liked by everyone on tour and nothing else. Her and Leyton were engaged so maybe Leyton isn't her biggest fan, however, Leyton has been a hot-head throughout his career as well and not the most well liked. Henin is from the same country so that is no surprise as they were bitter rivals.
As far as the preferential treatment of Maria, that is a bunch of crap. The only thing Maria needs to change is the amount of noise on the court. That is very annoying and not necessary.
The reason the Williams sisters, and more Serena have been demonized, is their own fault. Have you seen some of Serena's post-match interviews. Not only annoying but very unprofessional. Best to watch on mute!!!! I have been watching tennis since the 1970's and can honestly say I have never enjoyed a match as much as the one where Stosur kicked Serena's fat, drug-injected ass in the final of the US Open last year. In her post-match interview, Stosur took the high road and neglected to comment on Serena's antics during the match, specifically where she questioned a call or 2. That was class, something Serena and Venus have yet to and will likely never learn!!!!!

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jul 2, 2012
 
Italain Stallion wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy are you ever full of yourself.
Pot, meet kettle...

.
You make some very good points but are out in left field on some other ones. Your comment about the " mean " side of Clijsters is ridiculous. I have only heard that Clijsters is liked by everyone on tour and nothing else. Her and Leyton were engaged so maybe Leyton isn't her biggest fan, however, Leyton has been a hot-head throughout his career as well and not the most well liked. Henin is from the same country so that is no surprise as they were bitter rivals.
That is precisely my point. For whatever reason, EVERYBODY has people who don't like them. No one is perfect, and everyone has faults. You've given lots of excuses for Clijster, try being as understanding with the Williamses.

.
As far as the preferential treatment of Maria, that is a bunch of crap. The only thing Maria needs to change is the amount of noise on the court. That is very annoying and not necessary.
Maria Sharapova has been the benefactor of preferential treatment since the beginning of her professional career. She has had calls changed in her favor, has had drug test times altered for her convenience, has been put on the main courts of tournaments, ahead of more deserving players, and has been given private practice courts by tournaments, when other players had to share courts, or couldn't get one at all. At one point she was one of the most despised players on the tour because of this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/david-fearnhe...

.
The reason the Williams sisters, and more Serena have been demonized, is their own fault. Have you seen some of Serena's post-match interviews. Not only annoying but very unprofessional. Best to watch on mute!!!! I have been watching tennis since the 1970's and can honestly say I have never enjoyed a match as much as the one where Stosur kicked Serena's fat, drug-injected ass in the final of the US Open last year. In her post-match interview, Stosur took the high road and neglected to comment on Serena's antics during the match, specifically where she questioned a call or 2. That was class, something Serena and Venus have yet to and will likely never learn!!!!!
I suppose you completely missed all of the post-match interviews given by Andy Roddick, or the pre and post-match interviews given by Roger Federer immediately after he was replaced as #1 by Nadal. Just as irritating. As a matter of fact, Roddick has been fined several times for his attitude in those interviews, and the fact that he has skipped-out on other mandatory interviews. Federer became insufferable after he lost the #1 ranking and was almost impossible to interview without him snapping at the interviewers because he didn't want to answer questions about being #2, or retiring.

It isn't very difficult to find surly interviews by most of the top players. They are asked to sit and talk to a bunch of reporters who are asking them a bunch of dumb questions like, "how does it feel to play for four hours in 100 degree heat, and lose?", minutes after losing. I would expect a lot of curt answers. Sharapova has given her fair share.

One last thing. You don't seem to realize that Serena Williams and Venus Williams are TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE.

You have a very negative opinion of Serena Williams that, for some reason, has carried over to Venus Williams. Venus is not responsible for her sister and shouldn't be blamed for any actions of her sister. If you're going to judge her, do so on her own merits. At least try to be "fair and balanced" and stop acting as though they are the same person. They are about as disimilar as two people can be.
Italain Stallion

Kanata, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jul 3, 2012
 
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Pot, meet kettle...
.
<quoted text>
That is precisely my point. For whatever reason, EVERYBODY has people who don't like them. No one is perfect, and everyone has faults. You've given lots of excuses for Clijster, try being as understanding with the Williamses.
.
<quoted text>
Maria Sharapova has been the benefactor of preferential treatment since the beginning of her professional career. She has had calls changed in her favor, has had drug test times altered for her convenience, has been put on the main courts of tournaments, ahead of more deserving players, and has been given private practice courts by tournaments, when other players had to share courts, or couldn't get one at all. At one point she was one of the most despised players on the tour because of this.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/david-fearnhe...
.
<quoted text>
I suppose you completely missed all of the post-match interviews given by Andy Roddick, or the pre and post-match interviews given by Roger Federer immediately after he was replaced as #1 by Nadal. Just as irritating. As a matter of fact, Roddick has been fined several times for his attitude in those interviews, and the fact that he has skipped-out on other mandatory interviews. Federer became insufferable after he lost the #1 ranking and was almost impossible to interview without him snapping at the interviewers because he didn't want to answer questions about being #2, or retiring.
It isn't very difficult to find surly interviews by most of the top players. They are asked to sit and talk to a bunch of reporters who are asking them a bunch of dumb questions like, "how does it feel to play for four hours in 100 degree heat, and lose?", minutes after losing. I would expect a lot of curt answers. Sharapova has given her fair share.
One last thing. You don't seem to realize that Serena Williams and Venus Williams are TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE.
You have a very negative opinion of Serena Williams that, for some reason, has carried over to Venus Williams. Venus is not responsible for her sister and shouldn't be blamed for any actions of her sister. If you're going to judge her, do so on her own merits. At least try to be "fair and balanced" and stop acting as though they are the same person. They are about as disimilar as two people can be.
Yes I am aware of the post-match interviews by Andy Roddick. He is another idiot who has underachieved. He was No. 1 for a little while but has never won a major. Looks good on the little brat. The only good thing he has bone in his career is bagging that blonde bimbo wife of his. Good for him. It is about time her retire as well!!!!!!!!

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 3, 2012
 
Italain Stallion wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I am aware of the post-match interviews by Andy Roddick. He is another idiot who has underachieved. He was No. 1 for a little while but has never won a major. Looks good on the little brat.
Underachieved? How many tennis tournaments have YOU won?

At 18, Roddick was the #1 Junior player in the world. He won both the USO and the AO. After joining the tour as an adult, he had his breakout year in '03 winning the USO and several other Masters Series titles. At 21, he became the youngest #1 ranked American in the Open era.

Roddick has been to the Wimbledon Finals 3 times, losing each to Federer. He's been in the semi-finals of the AO 4 times, losing in '07 and '09 to Federer. As a matter of fact, most of his GS losses since '05 have come at the hands of Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, or Novak Djokovic. Not bad company. I would hardly call him an underachiever. He is one of the most successful tennis players, ever.

.
The only good thing he has bone in his career is bagging that blonde bimbo wife of his. Good for him. It is about time her retire as well!!!!!!!!
Are you really this shallow? Wow...
Italain Stallion

Kanata, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jul 3, 2012
 
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Underachieved? How many tennis tournaments have YOU won?
At 18, Roddick was the #1 Junior player in the world. He won both the USO and the AO. After joining the tour as an adult, he had his breakout year in '03 winning the USO and several other Masters Series titles. At 21, he became the youngest #1 ranked American in the Open era.
Roddick has been to the Wimbledon Finals 3 times, losing each to Federer. He's been in the semi-finals of the AO 4 times, losing in '07 and '09 to Federer. As a matter of fact, most of his GS losses since '05 have come at the hands of Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, or Novak Djokovic. Not bad company. I would hardly call him an underachiever. He is one of the most successful tennis players, ever.
.
<quoted text>
Are you really this shallow? Wow...
" He is one of the most successful tennis players ever ". OK now I am convinced you must be on cheap drugs. Nobody will care or remember how many semi-finals he went to!!!!!! What matters is how many Gran Slam and tour titles he won which was 1. He was #1 in the world for a whole week ( Wow good for him ). He even acknowledged a few years back that there was no rivalry between he and Federer because Federer had his number. I believe he is 1-22 against Federer. The only match where he was close was the 2009 Wimbledon final which I admit was a great match. He may be one of the greatest American players ever but will NEVER EVER be mentioned as one of the greatest players of all time. Not even close!!!!!!!!!! Sampras and Agassi are the best American players ever and Roddick has never entered into the same discussion with them. You may be able to rehash statistics, however, your opinions on Serena, Roddick and others are way out to lunch!!!!!!

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jul 3, 2012
 
Italain Stallion wrote:
<quoted text>
" He is one of the most successful tennis players ever ". OK now I am convinced you must be on cheap drugs. Nobody will care or remember how many semi-finals he went to!!!!!! What matters is how many Gran Slam and tour titles he won which was 1. He was #1 in the world for a whole week ( Wow good for him ). He even acknowledged a few years back that there was no rivalry between he and Federer because Federer had his number. I believe he is 1-22 against Federer. The only match where he was close was the 2009 Wimbledon final which I admit was a great match. He may be one of the greatest American players ever but will NEVER EVER be mentioned as one of the greatest players of all time. Not even close!!!!!!!!!!
Wrong again bucko!

I never said he was the greatest of all time. I said he was one of the most successful players ever. There are only about 10 players in the history of tennis that have been more successful than Roddick over their lifetime, out of the THOUSANDS who have played professional tennis.

Roddick has won 1 GS (thanks in large part to Federer) and more than 30 other tour titles, to include 4 doubles titles, and over 20 million dollars. He has achieved a #1 ranking as a juniors champion and as a men's champion, and won at least one tour title for the past 8 years. He is the first American male since Agassi to rise to #1 and the only one since then to win a GS.

.
Sampras and Agassi are the best American players ever and Roddick has never entered into the same discussion with them. You may be able to rehash statistics, however, your opinions on Serena, Roddick and others are way out to lunch!!!!!!
I agree that Sampras and Agassi were the greatest American players during the Open Era. However, the greatest American players of all time? Don Budge, Bill Tilden, Jack Kramer, and Bobby Riggs were also all great champions in their day. Who's to say who the greatest of them all was had they met in their primes.

And BTW, Sampras'(0-1) and Agassi's (0-6) H2H against Federer is worse than Roddick's. As a matter of fact, the only player with a winning H2H against Federer is Nadal (17-9). Had Federer been playing during their primes they wouldn't have won as many GS either.
Italain Stallion

Kanata, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 4, 2012
 
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again bucko!
I never said he was the greatest of all time. I said he was one of the most successful players ever. There are only about 10 players in the history of tennis that have been more successful than Roddick over their lifetime, out of the THOUSANDS who have played professional tennis.
Roddick has won 1 GS (thanks in large part to Federer) and more than 30 other tour titles, to include 4 doubles titles, and over 20 million dollars. He has achieved a #1 ranking as a juniors champion and as a men's champion, and won at least one tour title for the past 8 years. He is the first American male since Agassi to rise to #1 and the only one since then to win a GS.
.
<quoted text>
I agree that Sampras and Agassi were the greatest American players during the Open Era. However, the greatest American players of all time? Don Budge, Bill Tilden, Jack Kramer, and Bobby Riggs were also all great champions in their day. Who's to say who the greatest of them all was had they met in their primes.
And BTW, Sampras'(0-1) and Agassi's (0-6) H2H against Federer is worse than Roddick's. As a matter of fact, the only player with a winning H2H against Federer is Nadal (17-9). Had Federer been playing during their primes they wouldn't have won as many GS either.
I am not going to argue with you about Roddick. He is a bum and should retire as soon as possible!!!!!!!!!! He won 1 Grand Slam ( big deal ) and was # 1 for a whole week. Who cares what he did as a junior. Look at Donald Young of the US. Great junior career but going nowhere fast on the main tour. Gotta love it!!!!!!!!!!

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 4, 2012
 
Italain Stallion wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not going to argue with you about Roddick. He is a bum and should retire as soon as possible!!!!!!!!!! He won 1 Grand Slam ( big deal ) and was # 1 for a whole week. Who cares what he did as a junior. Look at Donald Young of the US. Great junior career but going nowhere fast on the main tour. Gotta love it!!!!!!!!!!
Bums don't win GS or Tour titles, and especially not 20 million dollars. And, as I said before, Roddick would have won 7-8 GS had he not had to play Federer in the finals of those tournaments. You DO know who Federer is, don't you?

Donald Young and Andy Roddick are two completely different players. However, Young is only 22. He has plenty of time to get better coaching and improve.
Italain Stallion

Kanata, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 4, 2012
 
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Bums don't win GS or Tour titles, and especially not 20 million dollars. And, as I said before, Roddick would have won 7-8 GS had he not had to play Federer in the finals of those tournaments. You DO know who Federer is, don't you?
Donald Young and Andy Roddick are two completely different players. However, Young is only 22. He has plenty of time to get better coaching and improve.
Sure, make excuses for Roddick. The bottom line is he was not good enough to beat Federer or the other top players that's it that's all. He won 1 GS title and a few other tour titles. Federer has won over $80 milion in prize money and a lot more in endorsements. Why do you think nobody wants to sponsor Roddick. Same reason as Serena. I saw Young play at the French Open and he was brutal. Even the biased American commentators said so. Pretty sad how the best American player is 30 years old and nearing the end of his career. That would be Mardy Fish. And yes I have heard of Federer you dumb-ass!!!!!!

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 4, 2012
 
Italain Stallion wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, make excuses for Roddick. The bottom line is he was not good enough to beat Federer or the other top players that's it that's all. He won 1 GS title and a few other tour titles.
Unless you've been living under a rock (and that wouldn't surprise me) you know that almost NO ONE has been able to beat Federer. Many consider him the G.O.A.T. Why in the world is Roddick supposed to be able to do something that no one else in tennis (except Nadal) can do? Be reasonable.

And 30 tour titles is more than "a few". It's quite "a few" more than almost all of the other players on tour.

.
Federer has won over $80 milion in prize money and a lot more in endorsements. Why do you think nobody wants to sponsor Roddick. Same reason as Serena. I saw Young play at the French Open and he was brutal. Even the biased American commentators said so. Pretty sad how the best American player is 30 years old and nearing the end of his career. That would be Mardy Fish. And yes I have heard of Federer you dumb-ass!!!!!!
Once again, you're dead wrong.

Federer has won over $70 million, not $80 million, and Roddick has many endorsements including Nike and Lacoste.

I also don't understand why you keep bringing up Young. He has nothing to do with this conversation.
Italain Stallion

Kanata, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 4, 2012
 
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless you've been living under a rock (and that wouldn't surprise me) you know that almost NO ONE has been able to beat Federer. Many consider him the G.O.A.T. Why in the world is Roddick supposed to be able to do something that no one else in tennis (except Nadal) can do? Be reasonable.
And 30 tour titles is more than "a few". It's quite "a few" more than almost all of the other players on tour.
.
<quoted text>
Once again, you're dead wrong.
Federer has won over $70 million, not $80 million, and Roddick has many endorsements including Nike and Lacoste.

I also don't understand why you keep bringing up Young. He has nothing to do with this conversation.
YOU are dead wrong you moron. They showed Federer's career earnings earlier this year during a tournament which were at $78 milion ( now likely well over 80 ). Are you saying they are wrong on T.V. as well? Are you God or what? Your excuses for Roddick are a complete joke just like you. I guess then we could say if Nadal hadn't come along when he did that Roger would be over 20 GS titles? Just admit that Americans today just aren't in the conversation of dominant players and haven't been since Agassi left the tour and likely won't be for years to come!!!!!!!!!! All Americans gone on the men's side and hopefully Azarenka will kick Serena's ass tomorrow as well. By the way doubles don't matter if you are going to tell me that Serena and Venus are still left.
Italain Stallion

Kanata, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jul 4, 2012
 
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless you've been living under a rock (and that wouldn't surprise me) you know that almost NO ONE has been able to beat Federer. Many consider him the G.O.A.T. Why in the world is Roddick supposed to be able to do something that no one else in tennis (except Nadal) can do? Be reasonable.
And 30 tour titles is more than "a few". It's quite "a few" more than almost all of the other players on tour.
.
<quoted text>
Once again, you're dead wrong.
Federer has won over $70 million, not $80 million, and Roddick has many endorsements including Nike and Lacoste.
I also don't understand why you keep bringing up Young. He has nothing to do with this conversation.
30 titles is nothing considering how long he has been on the tour which is over 10 years I believe. I am sure you will correct me if I am wrong as you seem to know everything about the sport!!!!! When was the last title he won and did he beat anyone of note in that tournament? First round at the French, 3rd round at Wimbledon and on his way off the tour!!!!! He had a great serve and a decent forehand but that was it. Same reason Isner and Querrey will not go anywhere as they are big servers but not much more. Same thing for Ivo Karlovic who has a massive serve but hasn't done anything on tour. For all the hype about Roddick when he came up the ranks, he been a total bum and disappointment. No. 1 for one week while Roger was No. 1 for 237 straight weeks. Pretty close eh moron!!!! And by the way what the hell is Lacoste? Really big brand name no doubt!!!!!!!
Italain Stallion

Kanata, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jul 4, 2012
 
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Bums don't win GS or Tour titles, and especially not 20 million dollars. And, as I said before, Roddick would have won 7-8 GS had he not had to play Federer in the finals of those tournaments. You DO know who Federer is, don't you?
Donald Young and Andy Roddick are two completely different players. However, Young is only 22. He has plenty of time to get better coaching and improve.
Donald Young is as good as done!!!! He was the number one junior in the world, however since turning pro in 2004, he is 16-47 which is brutal and his best showing in a GS is 3rd round. Just another underachieving American bum like Roddick. By the way, you said Roddick would have won 7 or 8 GS titles if not for Federer? Well, I am not sure how that is possible as he lost in 4 GS finals to Fed. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop making excuses for Roddick and just admit he was an underachiever. Do you even know what that word means or should I explain it to you? I think your lack of intelligence has been evident throughout your comments and also the feeling you are the only one that is right.
Italain Stallion

Kanata, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jul 4, 2012
 
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Great! Then I expect you to have the same attitude when it comes to Sharapova's and Clijster's matches. Both have been around for quite a while, and both are darlings of ESPN and the Tennis Channel, just like Williams sisters. You'll be seeing a lot of them regardless of how "boring" their matches are, or how compelling another match is that is being played at the same time on another court.
The same holds true for the men's side. We'll be watching Federer slosh through his early "boring" rounds, along with Nadal and Djokovic, regardless of the quality of tennis being played on the other courts. How dare ESPN and the Tennis Channel show the superstars of the sport, rather than focusing on players you've seldom, or never, heard of.
Let 'em have it Regina! Can't wait to hear more of your self-righteous indignation...
Go f&^k yourself. Nothing anybody says on here holds true to your beliefs. It is amazing how you defend the Williams sisters despite their horrible behaviour. There were many Americans that voiced their displeasure on here after Williams loss and behaviour last year against Stosur. I must say again I have never enjoyed a match more than when Stosur kicked Serena's fat ass all over the court. Watching her lose to Clijsters in 2009 was almost as gratifying!!!!!!!!!! The only thing that is sad is that there would have been children in the crowd at both events no doubt saying " Mommy/daddy is that the way you are supposed to act when you lose "? Pretty f&*%ing disgraceful is Serena to this great sport!!!!!!!!!! That lady or man makes me sick to my stomach!!!!!!!!!!
Italain Stallion

Kanata, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 4, 2012
 
Regina wrote:
Good ridance! I really am sick and tired of Serena Williams. She is a great champion no question about it, but her diva atitude is much more then I care to take it.
ESPN and their commentators love her, so when she's playing that's all we will see: her games. Does not matter if in anoter court a great game is going on: they will show some flashes of the game to run back to Serena's game, even if is the most boring game.
So I am all ready to see new players for a chang.
Don't worry Regina you are certainly not alone in your thoughts. This f*&^ing moron TMD/John must be sleeping with Serena otherwise he wouldn't be defending her the way he has been over the last few days. She is a complete and utter bitch and should have been suspended on several occasions for her behaviour, especially at the 2009 and 2011 US Open. Hopefully Azarenka kicks her ass all over the court tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!
Italain Stallion

Kanata, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jul 4, 2012
 
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Underachieved? How many tennis tournaments have YOU won?
At 18, Roddick was the #1 Junior player in the world. He won both the USO and the AO. After joining the tour as an adult, he had his breakout year in '03 winning the USO and several other Masters Series titles. At 21, he became the youngest #1 ranked American in the Open era.
Roddick has been to the Wimbledon Finals 3 times, losing each to Federer. He's been in the semi-finals of the AO 4 times, losing in '07 and '09 to Federer. As a matter of fact, most of his GS losses since '05 have come at the hands of Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, or Novak Djokovic. Not bad company. I would hardly call him an underachiever. He is one of the most successful tennis players, ever.
.
<quoted text>
Are you really this shallow? Wow...
The reason Roddick underachieved was very simple. All he had was a great serve and nothing else and he was not mentally tough like the greats on the tour. he also fired Brad Gilbert at the end of 2004 even though Brad did wonders for his career. What a complete and utter moron. He got what he deserved which was a very average career!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••