roger needs a two-handed backhand

roger needs a two-handed backhand

Posted in the Roger Federer Forum

“guess who Lois?”

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#1 Jan 27, 2011
I've watched numerous matches, including the one Roger just lost to Djokovac at the Australian open.

ROger played well ... probably well enough to beat almost anyone .. but why does he lose to Djokovac and Nadal more?

The one thing that stands out is this ... they use a two handed backhand and so they have power and can control shot direction more accuratley from both sides.

ROger has a good one-handed backhand but he cannot do as much with it ... the slice is the fallback but it is a slow long flight that allows the opponent to get to the ball. It is a defensive shot.

ROger has a strong power backhand but he can't use it unless he is in position to make that shot ... the ball has to be the right height, he has to be there early enough to set up his body position.

A two hander can be used with power and in all directions so you can shoot up the line or cross court whenever yuo like, adding upredictability. ROger would put his opponents on the defensive with that shot, just like Djokovic did to him in this last match.

It is my opinion this is what ROger needs in order to stay on top for another two or three years.
chitown

Highland Park, IL

#2 Feb 10, 2011
Ditto that! Watched the Aussie semis in frustration, because of Roger's one-handed back hand. Can he change it now, or would that be impossible?

“guess who Lois?”

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#3 Feb 10, 2011
chitown wrote:
Ditto that! Watched the Aussie semis in frustration, because of Roger's one-handed back hand. Can he change it now, or would that be impossible?
I've wondered if he ever thought about this and why he has no ttried it ... maybe he has tried it and found he sucks at doing a two handed backhand???
Yashdeep

Europe

#4 Feb 18, 2011
Why try a two handed backhand when he has got that one handed backhand for which people would pay anything? He lost only because he could not run like a 23-year old..

“guess who Lois?”

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#5 Feb 18, 2011
Yashdeep wrote:
Why try a two handed backhand when he has got that one handed backhand for which people would pay anything? He lost only because he could not run like a 23-year old..
I have watched enough of Roger's matches a well as the other top 3 or 4. Whenever he loses, in my opion it's because his opponents had tyhat one weapon he does not.

His one handed backhand is too limited ... he can only use it offensively from a certain position. One handed you can hit from many positions. WHen he gets a high bounce he can still use one handed.

“guess who Lois?”

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#6 Feb 18, 2011
Yashdeep wrote:
Why try a two handed backhand when he has got that one handed backhand for which people would pay anything? He lost only because he could not run like a 23-year old..
One more example ... a serve or hit that is close to the body Roger can only block back if one handed. With a two hander he can hit back with power, slice or top spin, and to either side of the court. He becomes more unpredictable and his opponent is on the defensive.
dennisd

Bordentown, NJ

#7 Apr 7, 2011
the days of the one handed backhand are over for top ten players in mens play. roger's time has come and gone cause if u look around the mens are now well over six feet tall, fast with two handers well suited for the slower courts! serve and volley days are gone too! plus lets not forget how many top ten players have two kids growing up? sorry roger but u have to be married to tennis to compete at that top level and children make it almost impossible to do that!

“guess who Lois?”

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#8 Apr 7, 2011
dennisd wrote:
the days of the one handed backhand are over for top ten players in mens play. roger's time has come and gone cause if u look around the mens are now well over six feet tall, fast with two handers well suited for the slower courts! serve and volley days are gone too! plus lets not forget how many top ten players have two kids growing up? sorry roger but u have to be married to tennis to compete at that top level and children make it almost impossible to do that!
I see someone agrees ... but I think Roger could stay in the top 3 if he adapted ... but he's in his late 20's now, maybe too late, he should have started adding that 3 years ago ...

It looks like the next 5 years will be Rafa and the DJOKER trading wins at majors. Maybe Roger has one more Wimbledon win in him????

“guess who Lois?”

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#9 Apr 7, 2011
one more thing .. is it me or is Roger hitting the ball into the net more these days??? He's made more unforced errors than I've ever seen even in matches he wins ...

My though on that is he's trying too hard to hit a low fast one when he's not in position to ... if he makes a more calculated slower hit, a few inches higher, the ball goes over the net and it forces the opponent to make another shot, and potentially he makes the error.
robirobi

Oceanside, NY

#10 May 9, 2011
I believe that Roger plays today as good as he did in the past, but his concentration level dropped due to his age.His intelligent game can't compensate the occasional lapses in his concentration. The growing lack of confidence is another new factor, which is crucial against a few top players.
I agree that the both handed backhanded has more potential, but it is too late for Roger.He can't afford this luxury to drop a few years for mastering it.

“guess who Lois?”

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#11 May 9, 2011
robirobi wrote:
I believe that Roger plays today as good as he did in the past, but his concentration level dropped due to his age.His intelligent game can't compensate the occasional lapses in his concentration. The growing lack of confidence is another new factor, which is crucial against a few top players.
I agree that the both handed backhanded has more potential, but it is too late for Roger.He can't afford this luxury to drop a few years for mastering it.
He's only 29 ... that age can't be responsible for lapses in focus. But I AGREE, HE IS HITTING THE BALL INTO THE NET OR LONG OR WIDE FAR MOre OFTEN THAN HE DID 2 YEARS AGO WHEN HE WAS STILL WINNING MAJORS.

The field has definilty become stronger latley .. Djokovoc has started to hit his potential and it will be him and Nadal for the next 2 or 3 years, IMO .. MURRAY I think is fated to stay at number 4.

If Roger had started to work on the two hander 2 years ago, when I first suggested this, then he would have it working for him by now. I agree, it might be too late now.

I have noticed that he is hitting his backhand harder lately and not using the slice backhand as much ... but it is inconsistant and can only be hit if he is in the right position ... the two hander can be hit from many positions... the other day I saw Murray hit a ball from his ankle height, about two feet to his left, with decent power, spin, and directional control ...
nsaa

Philadelphia, PA

#12 May 15, 2011
Changing from a one handed to a two handed backhand may seem like a good idea in theory, but in reality it is an almost impossible idea to translate. The shot is technically very different and is, like so many of the strokes in tennis, a shot that is built into a person's muscle memory and refined over many years, when these guys are still developing. Roger would never be able to have a two-handed backhand that would be comparable to Nadal's or Djokovic's, even if he had been practicing it for last two years. He would lose so many more matches, even to players that are much lower than he is on the tour. His backhand is an extraordinary shot. I don't think it is the reason he is losing more. The reason is much more complex than one simple solution can resolve. One of the reasons he seems to be losing more is that he is a tad bit slower and has just sligfhtly less power. When you watch him at 25 and 26, he had a certain spring and pop to his movement and shots that is not quite as present. This is pretty much true for every great player in the modern era. None of them were playing consistently at 29 or 30 as they were at 25 or 26. The changes may be subtle, but in a sport like tennis, the smallest changes make a huge difference. This is even mroe true when you have players like Nadal or Djokovich who are now coming into their prime. The shift in tennis is to be expected. What has happened to Roger should not be so surprising. But having said this, he is still able to play incredibly well and may be able to win more grand slams. It will just be much more difficult for the reasons above and a whole host of other reasons.

“guess who Lois?”

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#13 May 15, 2011
nsaa wrote:
Changing from a one handed to a two handed backhand may seem like a good idea in theory, but in reality it is an almost impossible idea to translate. The shot is technically very different and is, like so many of the strokes in tennis, a shot that is built into a person's muscle memory and refined over many years, when these guys are still developing. Roger would never be able to have a two-handed backhand that would be comparable to Nadal's or Djokovic's, even if he had been practicing it for last two years. He would lose so many more matches, even to players that are much lower than he is on the tour. His backhand is an extraordinary shot. I don't think it is the reason he is losing more. The reason is much more complex than one simple solution can resolve. One of the reasons he seems to be losing more is that he is a tad bit slower and has just sligfhtly less power. When you watch him at 25 and 26, he had a certain spring and pop to his movement and shots that is not quite as present. This is pretty much true for every great player in the modern era. None of them were playing consistently at 29 or 30 as they were at 25 or 26. The changes may be subtle, but in a sport like tennis, the smallest changes make a huge difference. This is even mroe true when you have players like Nadal or Djokovich who are now coming into their prime. The shift in tennis is to be expected. What has happened to Roger should not be so surprising. But having said this, he is still able to play incredibly well and may be able to win more grand slams. It will just be much more difficult for the reasons above and a whole host of other reasons.
you are right about what you say, to a point. ANd yet, consider this ... The other day Roger hit a ball that was coming at his feet by opening his legs and at the last moment putting his raquet behind him and hitting the ball for a winner between is legs.

If he had a two hander he would have put that raquet down in front of him at his ankles to achieve the same thing ... a much more reliable shot....

Roger has amazing eye-hand coordination ... he SHOULD be able to learn a two hander if he wants and I doubt it would take him 2 years to master it ... but at 29 he is now facing the fact that he is in his twighlight while more and more good players are coming up ... by now it is too late, but I fear that he does not have what it takes to win any more majors unless two things happens (1) He gets on a role in that tournament (2) HIS TOUGHEST OPPENENTS have spomething work against them .. they ARE EITHER INJURED IN SOME WAY or have an off game, or are beaten by someone else who has the game of his life but plays normally when they face Roger ... this is how jIMMY CONNERs WON HIS LAST MAJOR in his 30's

In other words, the circumstance have to favour his winning ... he can't beat Nadal or Djokovic if they are playing their best, even if he is playing his best ...

did yuo see that Djokovic had a match poitn agasint him and he cmae back to win??? Quite incredible how his winning streak continues ... I think if he wins this weekend he will be ranked number one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roger Federer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tiger Woods admits he has to find different way... (Feb '17) Feb '17 AdmitsPhartzz 2
News The Latest: Djokovic wins bizarre 1st set in US... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News Dan Evans beats Alexandr Dolgopolov to set up R... (Jun '16) Jun '16 Yes sir 1
News Marcus Willis 'relaxed' about Wimbledon tie wit... (Jun '16) Jun '16 Tennis Fan 1
News Novak Djokovic 'honoured' to be considered amon... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Fart news 2
News Lauderdale's Whitney Kraft to be National Tenni... (Jun '07) Aug '15 Fart news 21
News Djokovic marches to Wimbledon final (Jul '15) Jul '15 Fart news 4
More from around the web