Florida's many clay tennis courts buck national trend -- Court ...

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

In Florida, clay is king. While most rising American tennis stars shun clay courts in favor of speedier hard surfaces, Florida has gone against the grain and established itself as a clay tennis enclave.
Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated Jun 6, 2008
Stephen C Dettor

Wabasso, FL

#1 Jun 6, 2008
Clay courts have many benefits, including those mentioned in the article. Clay courts also provide a sliding surface, which significantly reduces injuries. While clay courts are certainly more expensive to maintain than asphalt or concrete courts, subsurface irrigation technology (FDC HydroCourt) has significantly reduced the amount of material, water and man hours needed to maintain clay courts. To learn more, visit www.fast-dry.com
deb-welchtennis

Fairport, NY

#2 Jun 6, 2008
I agree that Florida is the Clay Court Capital. I work for Welch Tennis Courts, "world's largest builder of clay courts". Clay (or also called Har-Tru) tennis courts are the preferred surface for people at country clubs, condos, tennis clubs, hotels, municipalities and so on. You are so right, the slower playing surface offers longer rallies, and the court surface is easier on the player's body, with far less injuries as well. I love watching players slide on the clay courts. Also, did you know that the clay court is cooler in the summer? That is a huge advantage here in Florida, especially.

Most clay courts are built with the subsurface irrigation. HydroGrid is a popular subsurface system to irrigate clay tennis courts. We offer clay court maintenance seminars in the spring and fall and offer proposals for court construction. Questions about clay tennis court construction? Call Deb 1-800-282-4415.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Robby Ginepri Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Robby Ginepri nude (Jul '12) Jul '12 Earlene 1
Some players on ATP Tour want to speed it up (Mar '12) Mar '12 elaine 1
Indy lose tennis legacy (Dec '09) Dec '09 skaizun 1
Pilot pen officials await late entries (Aug '09) Aug '09 Ciarrai 1
Pilot Pen has questions on wild cards (Aug '09) Aug '09 Bill Walsh 1
Local Corner (Jul '08) Jul '08 concerned 1
U.S. tennis falling behind rest of world (Jun '08) Jun '08 Bergermeister 4
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000