Serve speed comparing Federer, Roddic...
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Vegeta

Mannheim, Germany

#41 Jun 3, 2008
tim wrote:
No, the author of this topic has not done their research. Sampras' fastest serve was greater than 135 mph, as he served 136 mph against federer at wimbledon 2001. Sampras' fastest serve was 139 mph, and federer's fastest is 137 mph. Also, a factor to consider in this comparison is that radar gun technology has improved since sampras has retired - in other words, sampras' 139 mph serve may in fact be faster than that.
Fed served well at this French open 2008 so far. He served in every match fastest serve between 130 mph - 132 mph, that is a healthy speed. His first serve average speed is so far good, he averaged faster than Monfils, Ancic who are huge servers. He averaged 122.5 mph on first serve against Benneteau at 4th round. that is a good speed. by the way, Sampras has never serve anything beyond 135 mph. His fastest serves ever registered in ATP tour were 133 mph 1997, 135 mph 1998, 135 mph 2000 and 135 mph 2002. He has never served faster than 135 mph. Forget about 139 mph, that was the fastest speed of Krajicek, Krajicek served a bit faster than Pete. Federer has the fastest serve at 136 mph registered at French open 2007 Semifinal against Davydenko, 135 mph at 2006 Aussie open against Haas, 133 mph at 2006 Wimby against Nadal. 132 mph at 2004 US open Final against Hewitt. Sampras second serve is the most overrated shot in ATP history. His winning percentage on second serve is miserable at 45%-53%. Fed and Andy, even Nadal has a higher winning percentage on second serves.
john

Wynnum, Australia

#42 Jul 1, 2008
Anyone who has seen Sampras vs Federer will know that sampras served 136 mph in that match, and if you think that nadal, roddick or federer has a better second serve than sampras then its clear that for some reason you hold a grudge against sampras. Federers second serve isnt as good as sampras' but it is really close behind, probably the second best.
Tim

Wynnum, Australia

#43 Jul 1, 2008
Hey Vegeta i mean iamke55 just give up
Vegeta

Mannheim, Germany

#44 Jul 1, 2008
john wrote:
Anyone who has seen Sampras vs Federer will know that sampras served 136 mph in that match, and if you think that nadal, roddick or federer has a better second serve than sampras then its clear that for some reason you hold a grudge against sampras. Federers second serve isnt as good as sampras' but it is really close behind, probably the second best.
Okay, Fed has the second best second serve after sampras. Fed served slow at this year Wimby with always top speed of 127 mph, that is quite slow for a top guy. If he wanna win against Nadal, he got to serve a good bit harder than that.
silversurfer

Philippines

#45 Jul 8, 2008
IvanAndreevich wrote:
Hey Vegeta, are you a speed freak? It's a retarded notion that a FAST serve is a GOOD serve. Don't even try to argue with me, it's just plain dumb.
Fed's serve is much more effective than Roddick's. He hits the lines and mixes it up well. It's very hard to read. He doesn't need to improve it to stay at the top, as the last few years have shown. The reason he isn't playing well is NOT his serve right now.
you are absolutely right mate.
vegeta and kakarott obsesses too much about serve and serve speeds. andre agassi won all 4 slams with an average 1st serve speed. nadal won 5 slams(and counting) with an average 1st serve speed.
vegeta and kakarot even say the williams sisters serve harder than most men. what the hell does that mean? absolutely nothing!
crazy arod fan selam

Werribee, Australia

#46 Jul 24, 2008
it dosn't matter about serve speed its about placement n i think dats why federer is so good he can do anythng he can always get himself out of trouble too but having a big serve is not so bad either but if ur player is a ghreat returner lyk fed,nole,hewitt,raf then ur gonna need placement i think dats why andy struggles a bit coz his not used to havin da baal returned back at him n his not very gud at baseline rallies expsationally when ur competing against rafa no one can beat dat guy at baseline rallies not even roger
xxx
Vegeta

Mannheim, Germany

#47 Oct 21, 2008
silversurfer wrote:
<quoted text>
you are absolutely right mate.
vegeta and kakarott obsesses too much about serve and serve speeds. andre agassi won all 4 slams with an average 1st serve speed. nadal won 5 slams(and counting) with an average 1st serve speed.
vegeta and kakarot even say the williams sisters serve harder than most men. what the hell does that mean? absolutely nothing!
I am not a speedfreak, I am not just caring about serve speed. But I think that Fed can serve harder and more penetraing, he served badly against Murray at Madrid. Like I ve said before, Fed needs that extra mphs on serve to earn himself more free points in big matches against top players like Nadal. First delivery should be 118-124 mph, second delivery should be 100-105 mph.
Vegeta

Mannheim, Germany

#48 Oct 21, 2008
If Olympic official match statistics is correct (I think it is), Djokovic has achieved something other than Gold or Silver in Beijing 2008. During the 2nd set of the semi final against Nadal at the Beijing Olympic, Novak Djokovic’s first serve was recorded to be 250 kmph (155.34 mph) breaking Andy Roddick’s fastest serve of all time, 249.4 kmph (155 mph). The Officials of Tennis Olympics reaffirmed that speed, and registered that speed of Djoker. I cant believe this, but djoker can blast easily over 130 mph. so who knows.
boo

San Ramon, CA

#49 Oct 28, 2008
joker?
someone

Irvine, CA

#50 Nov 14, 2008
Serves are not all about speed. Sampras also averaged 2500 rpm of spin, and Federer probably has a similar number. It is the weight of the ball. I wonder how many returns the people have shanked
DrKakarottSongok u

Mannheim, Germany

#51 Feb 12, 2009
In that exhibition match in madison Garden New york, I saw that match, fastest serve of Sampras was 218 kmh and the fastest delivery of Federer was 215 kmh, that was roughly the same speed.
phyllip

Richton, MS

#52 Apr 9, 2010
imaa comin up tennis player asnd i need some basic pointers on fast serves
bambooosheet

Indianapolis, IN

#53 Jun 11, 2010
Federer just hit a 222kph = 139mph serve in the first set of a match at Halle against Kohlschreiber. Although I would personally like to see him hit faster serves from time to time, it's important to realize that speed is not everything and that Federer's game is (like many people have mentioned already) more about placement than raw power. His 139mph serve shows that he can indeed serve bombs but chooses not to because it is inefficient (not as accurate and tires out the serving arm unnecessarily). Why go down the T with a 140mph heater when you get the same result with a well placed spinny delivery at 108mph?
thisisit

Atlanta, GA

#54 Sep 9, 2010
Where do you get statistics on these player's serve speeds?
pjorje2r

Los Altos, CA

#55 May 20, 2011
Federer won 16 majors and Pete won 14 due to their serve. Fed won a French title and two more Australian titles than Sampras, who won one more Wimbledon title than Roger. Fed's serve is suited for slow hard and heavy clay. Sampras's serve is best for grass, as he loved the slice serve more than any other player. Grass allows the slice serve to bounce even lower. Both players have amazing serves.
Nigel

Toowoomba, Australia

#56 Jun 13, 2011
The fastest first service speed for Sampras is also incorrect, it is actually 136 mph which is equal to Federer. This occured at the 4th round Wimbledon 2001 when Sampras was defeated by Federer.
pjorje2r

Los Altos, CA

#57 Sep 4, 2011
Let's see, Sampras and Federer have nearly identical serves. Nobody cares about Sampras' cool-looking pre-motion ritual. If you look closely the head position of both Sampras and Federer is identical, which is the heart of the serve.
Against Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi's record was 14-20 (and 0-2 on grass, Sampras' favorite surface) due mostly to that huge Sampras serve. Against Federer Agassi's record is even more lopsided, at 3-8. But against Roddick Andre wielded a 5-1 record. Andre Agassi struggled against Pete, Roger, and Boris Becker, while barely eking out a win against Goran Ivanisevic at Wimbledon in 1992. and the biggest servers often struggled at Wimbledon. Roddick reached three finals, but lost each to Federer. Ivanisevic, Michael Stich, Richard Krajicek, and Petra Kvitova (though she is defending champ) all won Wimbledon only once. Tim Henman made 4 semifinals and Roscoe Tanner made 1 final.

Sampras had tremendous topspin on his serve but 75% of the time attacked the forehand of his opponents. Federer has tremendous topspin on his serve but many of his serves are to the backhand. And Roddick, he just hits ace after ace after ace but cannot do much else. And even if Roddick played a serve-and-volley heavy like Stefan Edberg, a lot of his serves would be coming back. Sampras had far more aces than Roddick at the US Open of 2002 quarterfinal.

But seriously, Federer's serve is the most underrated shot in tennis not named Pete's running forehand. Look at the Wimbledon final in 2009. Federer's aces: 50. Roddick's aces: 13. Federer's service winners: 120+. Roddick's service winners: something like 85.
pjorje2r

Los Altos, CA

#58 Sep 7, 2011
By no means is Roddick's serve a failure, or Roddick himself a failure. However, opponents like Djokovic, Federer, Agassi, Hewitt, and Safin could break Roddick easily. Even Nadal, who has the worst return of serve ever, has a positive head-to-head record against Roddick.
By contrast, Sampras had a superior volley to crush Agassi and Federer has a powerful groundstroke game that crushes everything and everyone, sometimes even Nadal (Tennis Masters Cup, November 2010).
remain anonymous

Ajax, Canada

#59 Apr 22, 2012
Tim is right, radar guns measure serves different ly for Pete's day in reference to modern times. During Sampras' time radar guns measured the serve 3 to 4 feet after the serve was struck, now it is done right on contact, which makes it more accurate for modern servers than it was say 10-15 yrs ago.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Andy Roddick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lauderdale's Whitney Kraft to be National Tenni... (Jun '07) Aug '15 Fart news 21
Andy Roddick NAKED: COCK SLIPS OUT AT TENNIS M... (Sep '12) Mar '15 georgemed222 2
beat the f-u-c-k-ing germans (Jun '10) Jul '14 Roddick rocks 8
News Match of the Year: Djokovic vs. Nadal, Australi... (Dec '12) Dec '12 vmvix 1
Andy Roddick nude (Dec '12) Dec '12 Margarette 1
Andy Roddick nude (Sep '12) Sep '12 Corene 1
News USTA benches player for being out of shape (Sep '12) Sep '12 Confluence 1
More from around the web