Serve speed comparing Federer, Roddic...

Serve speed comparing Federer, Roddick and Sampras

Posted in the Andy Roddick Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dr-kakarott-song oku

Germany

#1 Mar 8, 2007
fastest first serve speed of Roger Federer: 135 mph 2006 AO against Haas.
fastest first serve speed of Andy Roddick: 155 mph
2004 Davis Cup against Volchkov
fastest first serve speed of Pete Sampras: 135 mph 1998 US Open 4th round against Safin
f. 2nd serve speed of Federer: 126 mph 2004 Halle against Haas
f. 2nd serve of Roddick: 133 mph 2004 Wimby final against Fed
f. 2nd serve of Sampras: 127 mph 2001 U.S Open against Agassi
average fist serve speed Fed: 114-121 mph
Roddick: 122-132 mph, Sampras: 114-123 mph
average second serve speed Fed: 90-105 mph
Roddick: 100-110 mph, Sampras: 90-115 mph
I take it back about that weak serve comments form me in the past. Federer does have a real fast and potent serve.
Dr-kakarott-song oku

Germany

#2 Mar 8, 2007
Dr-kakarott-songoku wrote:
fastest first serve speed of Pete Sampras: 135 mph 1998 US Open 4th round against Safin
I take it back about that weak serve comments form me in the past. Federer does have a real fast and potent serve.
I was pretty wrong about that serve of Federer, he cannt serve that hard like Andy, but he does have a pretty steady and potent Serve. I ve checked the stats of his serve in details. I ve found out that he has indeed improved his Serve speed. I mean, he has pretty much the same Serve Speed as Sampras. similar first serve speed (Fed average 114-121 mph, Sampras 114-123 mph) fastest serve speed of Sampras and Federer are both 135 mph.
Dr-kakarott-song uko

Germany

#3 Mar 10, 2007
<quoted text>
I was pretty wrong about that serve of Federer, he cannt serve that hard like Andy, but he does have a pretty steady and potent Serve. I ve checked the stats of his serve in details. I ve found out that he has indeed improved his Serve speed. I mean, he has pretty much the same Serve Speed as Sampras. similar first serve speed (Fed average 114-121 mph, Sampras 114-123 mph) fastest serve speed of Sampras and Federer are both 135 mph.
Fed has in every recent match couple of serve over 130 mph range. He is serving in a similar way like Sampras. I mean both of them has a top speed from 135 mph, on second serves Sampras hits a bit more flat, Roger has more kick in that 2nd one. But average speed is really very similar. Fed ave 1st serve (114-121 mph) 2nd serve (90-105 mph) Pete ave 1st serve (114-123 mph) 2nd serve (90-113 mph). Federer has turned himself into a big server for sure.
Dr-kakarott-song oku

Germany

#4 Jun 6, 2007
Dr-kakarott-songuko wrote:
<quoted text>
Fed has in every recent match couple of serve over 130 mph range. He is serving in a similar way like Sampras. I mean both of them has a top speed from 135 mph, on second serves Sampras hits a bit more flat, Roger has more kick in that 2nd one. But average speed is really very similar. Fed ave 1st serve (114-121 mph) 2nd serve (90-105 mph) Pete ave 1st serve (114-123 mph) 2nd serve (90-113 mph). Federer has turned himself into a big server for sure.
The way Federer serves in French Open is pretty impressive. He served one at 135 mph against Starace in the third round, has in every match serves at 130 - 133 mph. He serves in a very similar range like Sampras.
Dr-kakarott-song oku

Villingen-schwenningen, Germany

#5 Jun 8, 2007
<quoted text>
The way Federer serves in French Open is pretty impressive. He served one at 135 mph against Starace in the third round, has in every match serves at 130 - 133 mph. He serves in a very similar range like Sampras.
Federer served 218 km/h (136 mph) in the Semi against Davydenko. that is one mph faster than the fastest serve of Sampras 216 km/h (135 mph). He is a strong server. He is increasing his serve speed in every major.
DrDerude
#6 Jul 1, 2007
Federer's serve is so good because of the variety he brings: He can hit it flat, slice or kick it, and that without changing the ball toss. His serve is in large measure an adaptation of Sampras' serve, which was very similar though no doubt better than Fed's. Sampras in particular had the best 2nd in the history of the game.

Andy Roddick brings more heat in terms of mph, but as anyone who plays tennis will know, placement is far more important than pace on the serve.

Ps. Sampras served a 136mph ace on Fed in their lone Wimbledon match, in 2001.
JLee

Cambridge, MA

#7 Sep 27, 2007
DrDerude wrote:
Federer's serve is so good because of the variety he brings: He can hit it flat, slice or kick it, and that without changing the ball toss. His serve is in large measure an adaptation of Sampras' serve, which was very similar though no doubt better than Fed's. Sampras in particular had the best 2nd in the history of the game.
Andy Roddick brings more heat in terms of mph, but as anyone who plays tennis will know, placement is far more important than pace on the serve.
Ps. Sampras served a 136mph ace on Fed in their lone Wimbledon match, in 2001.
Let's see... Supposing that Federer's serve is an adaptation of Sampras' serve, what makes it less good? If you adapt something that is already good, doesn't it make it better?
PS - In the only game that Sampras played against Federer, Federer ended the 31-match streak that Sampras was riding at Wimbledon.
Dr-Kakarott-song uko

Mannheim, Germany

#8 Oct 8, 2007
JLee wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see... Supposing that Federer's serve is an adaptation of Sampras' serve, what makes it less good? If you adapt something that is already good, doesn't it make it better?
PS - In the only game that Sampras played against Federer, Federer ended the 31-match streak that Sampras was riding at Wimbledon.
Fed has a real similar serve from motion and speed as well. His fastest delivery on first was 136 mph this year in french open against davydenko. Pete fastest delivery was also 136 mph 2001 wimby actually against Fed. They both average around 10 aces per match, Pete may have some more aces. On that second serve, not just Pete can hit second serve aces, Fed serve 5 aces on second serves in three sets against Roddick in u.s Open, 5 second-serve aces in three sets, that is a real statement.
tim

Glass House Mountains, Australia

#9 Oct 8, 2007
No, the author of this topic has not done their research. Sampras' fastest serve was greater than 135 mph, as he served 136 mph against federer at wimbledon 2001. Sampras' fastest serve was 139 mph, and federer's fastest is 137 mph. Also, a factor to consider in this comparison is that radar gun technology has improved since sampras has retired - in other words, sampras' 139 mph serve may in fact be faster than that.
tim

Glass House Mountains, Australia

#10 Oct 8, 2007
No, the author of this topic has not done their research. Sampras' fastest serve was greater than 135 mph, as he served 136 mph against federer at wimbledon 2001. Sampras' fastest serve was 139 mph, and federer's fastest is 137 mph. Also, a factor to consider in this comparison is that radar gun technology has improved since sampras has retired - in other words, sampras' 139 mph serve may in fact be faster than that.
tim

Burpengary, Australia

#11 Oct 8, 2007
Vegeta

Mannheim, Germany

#12 Nov 7, 2007
tim wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont think that the radar gun tech changed that much. For example. Rusedski served 149 mph in 1998 and he never did it again, Phillipo served 142,3 mph in 1997 and 141 mph in 2003. Sampras served 135 mph in 1998 and 136 mph in 2001 and 135 mph in 2002. You are right about the tech at one point, the getronic gun of Davis cup is much faster than radar gun, that is the reason that Roddick clocked one at 155 mph, he does not deserve that credit. his real fastest serve is 153 mph at Queens 2004 vs Paradorn. after 2004 he has never served faster than 150 mph. the bottomline is that fastest serve speed of Roddick is 153 mph (2004), Sampras 136 mph (2001) and Federer 136 mph (2007)
Vegeta

Mannheim, Germany

#13 Nov 14, 2007
Vegeta wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont think that the radar gun tech changed that much. For example. Rusedski served 149 mph in 1998 and he never did it again, Phillipo served 142,3 mph in 1997 and 141 mph in 2003. Sampras served 135 mph in 1998 and 136 mph in 2001 and 135 mph in 2002. You are right about the tech at one point, the getronic gun of Davis cup is much faster than radar gun, that is the reason that Roddick clocked one at 155 mph, he does not deserve that credit. his real fastest serve is 153 mph at Queens 2004 vs Paradorn. after 2004 he has never served faster than 150 mph. the bottomline is that fastest serve speed of Roddick is 153 mph (2004), Sampras 136 mph (2001) and Federer 136 mph (2007)
Federer has let down on his serves in the last couple of matches, he has to definitely serve better if he wanna beat guys like Nalbandian. He has to raise his serve speed by average 5-10 mph. I think if Fed can put some more muscles on his thin arms he will certainly able to serve over 140 mph. So Fed, time to do 100 push ups a day.
Vegeta

Fellbach, Germany

#14 Nov 25, 2007
Vegeta wrote:
<quoted text>
Federer has let down on his serves in the last couple of matches, he has to definitely serve better if he wanna beat guys like Nalbandian. He has to raise his serve speed by average 5-10 mph. I think if Fed can put some more muscles on his thin arms he will certainly able to serve over 140 mph. So Fed, time to do 100 push ups a day.
Fed played Sampras in Macao and lost a close encounter, he served quite slow in that game against sampras. while Sampras put up some biggest bombs over 133 mph. What is going on with Fed serve, I think he can put up bombs like he did this year at french open where he served 5 times over 133 mph. with one serve against Davydenko at 136 mph. His general overall attitude toward serve speed is depends on opponents. But the tough losses to Nalban at Madrid and paris showed that extra 3 -5 mph average serve speed can only help.
Cell

Fellbach, Germany

#15 Nov 25, 2007
Vegeta wrote:
<quoted text>
Fed played Sampras in Macao and lost a close encounter, he served quite slow in that game against sampras. while Sampras put up some biggest bombs over 133 mph. What is going on with Fed serve, I think he can put up bombs like he did this year at french open where he served 5 times over 133 mph. with one serve against Davydenko at 136 mph. His general overall attitude toward serve speed is depends on opponents. But the tough losses to Nalban at Madrid and paris showed that extra 3 -5 mph average serve speed can only help.
I have watched that exhibition match in youtube, Federer served poorly against Sampras, he has to serve stronger than that if he wanna win some more slams next year.
Vegeta

Mannheim, Germany

#16 Nov 27, 2007
Cell wrote:
<quoted text>
I have watched that exhibition match in youtube, Federer served poorly against Sampras, he has to serve stronger than that if he wanna win some more slams next year.
Federer has alltogether a pretty good serve but in compare with Sampras he has a Nonserve. Well as long as he can win with that serve, why fix it.
Smith

Morden, UK

#17 Nov 30, 2007
I think the reason that Federer served slowly against Sampras could be that it was in an exhibition match, and he was effectively just rolling serves in to get the points started.
Vegeta

Mannheim, Germany

#18 Dec 4, 2007
Smith wrote:
I think the reason that Federer served slowly against Sampras could be that it was in an exhibition match, and he was effectively just rolling serves in to get the points started.
Against guys like Nadal, Nalban or Joker, Fed cannt just allow himself throw in a average serve to get point started. He has to serve more penetrating to start a point, no to rely too much on his groundies. He just have to put that extra 3-5 mph more speed into his first and second serves.
Ulizinho

Bovenden, Germany

#19 Dec 12, 2007
hello everyone ! Nice chat on the topic.
federer knows how to play efficiently. I remember the Australian Open. He raised his serve speed round by round. Seemed as if he wanted to save some energy.
My favourite servers: Sampras and ivanisevic (on a good day) and Kraijcek.

does anyone know how fast the "old guys" served ?
I am thinking of players like Lendl, Becker, Edberg, Leconte, Ivanisevic, Noah etc...

second question: Do they use different balls in Wimbledon, with a bigger diameter ? Noone is playing serve´n volley anymore and the time of ace hitting seems to be over. Or do I have a wrong impression on that ?

By the way: Has anoyone noticed that the Williams sisters served faster (max and average speed) than the us-open semi-finalist ferrer ?
Dr-Kakarott-Song oku

Mannheim, Germany

#20 Dec 12, 2007
Ulizinho wrote:
hello everyone ! Nice chat on the topic.
federer knows how to play efficiently. I remember the Australian Open. He raised his serve speed round by round. Seemed as if he wanted to save some energy.
My favourite servers: Sampras and ivanisevic (on a good day) and Kraijcek.
does anyone know how fast the "old guys" served ?
I am thinking of players like Lendl, Becker, Edberg, Leconte, Ivanisevic, Noah etc...
second question: Do they use different balls in Wimbledon, with a bigger diameter ? Noone is playing serve´n volley anymore and the time of ace hitting seems to be over. Or do I have a wrong impression on that ?
By the way: Has anoyone noticed that the Williams sisters served faster (max and average speed) than the us-open semi-finalist ferrer ?
Williams Sisters serve indeed faster than a lots of guys of ATP tour. Serve speed of some old guys.
Krajicek: 139 mph, Goran: 136 mph, Becker 132 mph.
Noah and Leconte around 130 mph, Lendl 128 mph.
Federer just have to serve more penetrating and more forcing. at wimby, he averaged 119-121 mph on 1st serve, that is a healthy speed. He just needs some more free points against guys like Nadal, Nalban and joker.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Andy Roddick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lauderdale's Whitney Kraft to be National Tenni... (Jun '07) Aug '15 Fart news 21
Andy Roddick NAKED: COCK SLIPS OUT AT TENNIS M... (Sep '12) Mar '15 georgemed222 2
beat the f-u-c-k-ing germans (Jun '10) Jul '14 Roddick rocks 8
News Match of the Year: Djokovic vs. Nadal, Australi... (Dec '12) Dec '12 vmvix 1
Andy Roddick nude (Dec '12) Dec '12 Margarette 1
Andy Roddick nude (Sep '12) Sep '12 Corene 1
News USTA benches player for being out of shape (Sep '12) Sep '12 Confluence 1
More from around the web