Get your feet wet before taking the L...

Get your feet wet before taking the Linux plunge

There are 19 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 7, 2008, titled Get your feet wet before taking the Linux plunge. In it, Newsday reports that:

I recently promised you a strategy for a long-term exploration and transition to Linux and Open Source.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Fernie

Cerritos, CA

#1 Dec 7, 2008
This was a pretty good article. I think that trying out some of the software first is a good strategy. The Open Office suite is available for Windows and can be installed and tried first. Firefox is a browser that works on both as does the VLC media player for Windows.

The one area I disagree with the article is in the netbook area. Putting a new system on a netbook is not for the newbie. It is fraught with many difficulties such as wireless and camera problems that require the command line to manage. Linux command line for new users can be confusing. The only way I would recommend installing a new system on a netbook is to get some help from somebody who has done it before. I have an Eeepc and have tried numerous distributions on it. It was a real challenge and required that I download Eeepc specific distros that had been tweaked for the Eeepc. Even then I often needed to run some scripts from the command line and to spend lots of time making software adjustments. If you have an Eee PC have a look at the wiki located at http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ it is a good overview of what is required if you want to install a Linux system on the Eeepc. Otherwise give the stock Linux systems installed a try before you buy.

Finally, the idea of trying Linux on an old computer is really a good one. There are many Linux users groups around and joining one of those groups will introduce you to people who can help you to select the right distro for your system. There is a list of Linux Users Groups (LUGS) on the net at http://www.linux.org/groups/ . They will also know the various distributions and help you to install Linux so that it works with all of your hardware.
loop

Florence, KY

#2 Dec 7, 2008
For the most part I agree with your assessment; however; contemporary Linux distributions tend to rarely if ever require command line input from a user... and when they do, it has been my experience that you can find exactly what you need to do via Google. I have been using Ubuntu for several years and the few problems I have experienced have been covered on their forums.

It does take a little patience to learn a new operating system, but most of that patience is invested in learning where in the GUI a certain feature is buried.
Windows Guy

Saint Petersburg, FL

#3 Dec 7, 2008
I've tried many distributions and constantly bashed Windows. Distro's I've tried that failed: Ubuntu 8.04, Fedora 8, OpenSuse.

The one that actually got me to convert one of my machines: Mint OS 6 RC1.

It had native support for my wireless, there was zero need to fiddle with codecs as they just worked, and the menu was more accustomed to what I'm used to. Of all the distributions I've tried Mint is by FAR the best, at least coming from a guy in the MS camp. Cheerio.
Windows Guy

Saint Petersburg, FL

#4 Dec 7, 2008
That came out wrong. Should have read, "I've tried many distributions and was constantly bashed for still using Windows."
Eugene Markow

Poland

#5 Dec 7, 2008
Two Opens Source distributions which run very well on older PCs are "Arch Linux" and "FreeBSD". With Arch Linux, the initial installation is the core and then you later add what you wish to have. A great feature of Arch is that the applications are always up to date via the package manager. It's a bleeding edge OS. The advantage of Arch Linux (and all Linux) is that Flash and Virtualization work very well and is available. FreeBSD is based on Unix and is a stable, fast Operating System. It contains a great firewall (PF) and excellent for either for the desktop or a server. Both of these Unix based distributions are not bloated like most of the popular Linux distributions.
kb0hae

Menlo Park, CA

#6 Dec 7, 2008
I would not recommend Ununtu. I would recommend Linux Mint or Simply Mepis for new users. OR sidux if you don't mind a little command line work and tweaking. All have good support forums.
loop

Florence, KY

#7 Dec 7, 2008
Windows Guy wrote:
That came out wrong. Should have read, "I've tried many distributions and was constantly bashed for still using Windows."
I don't bash one or the other. I prefer Linux and recommend it whenever the opportunity arises; but bashing one or the other tends to close minds rather than open them.
loop

Florence, KY

#8 Dec 7, 2008
Eugene Markow wrote:
Two Opens Source distributions which run very well on older PCs are "Arch Linux" and "FreeBSD".
FreeBSD is noteworthy due to it's security record, one or two vulnerabilities in their unpatched iterations if memory serves. I tried BSD about 5 or 6 years ago, but it was a bit above my learning curve at the time. I've been thinking about throwing an install into a virtual machine to see how it has changed since that time.
letscomeclean

Perrysburg, NY

#9 Dec 7, 2008
test
Stephen

Palm Bay, FL

#10 Dec 8, 2008
Good article. The great thing about Linux is it is very customizable. There are distributions that are Window like. There is a learning curve but it is well worth it. The power, security and cost are great. Also if you need help the internet and user groups will give you more help than what Window users have.
Jimmy Crack Corn

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Dec 8, 2008
Another Lou Dolinar article, another mention of Open Office. Its like clockwork.

Also, that sound you hear is the collective boning of every system belonging to some boob who thinks they should start messing with this stuff because Lou says its easy. This will end badly.
loop

Florence, KY

#12 Dec 8, 2008
Jimmy Crack Corn wrote:
Another Lou Dolinar article, another mention of Open Office. Its like clockwork.
Also, that sound you hear is the collective boning of every system belonging to some boob who thinks they should start messing with this stuff because Lou says its easy. This will end badly.
Are you basing your comments on your own experiences? What difficulties did you encounter using Open Office? I have been using it since 2.0 without ever having had any problems at all.
Jimmy Crack Corn

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Dec 8, 2008
loop wrote:
<quoted text>Are you basing your comments on your own experiences? What difficulties did you encounter using Open Office? I have been using it since 2.0 without ever having had any problems at all.
I actually run Ubuntu at home and have had no issues with Open Office or Ubuntu I couldn't solve.

But I am smarter than the average bear. Most people are total computards and will screw their machine up in this process.
loop

Florence, KY

#14 Dec 9, 2008
Jimmy Crack Corn wrote:
<quoted text>
I actually run Ubuntu at home and have had no issues with Open Office or Ubuntu I couldn't solve.
But I am smarter than the average bear. Most people are total computards and will screw their machine up in this process.
Knowledgeable people do not recommend that those who know less refuse to learn for reasons of fear.
Jimmy Crack Corn

Brooklyn, NY

#15 Dec 9, 2008
loop wrote:
<quoted text>Knowledgeable people do not recommend that those who know less refuse to learn for reasons of fear.
They do when they're going to get calls from the people who know less to fix their mess.
loop

Florence, KY

#16 Dec 9, 2008
Jimmy Crack Corn wrote:
<quoted text>
They do when they're going to get calls from the people who know less to fix their mess.
No, they do not. Knowledgeable people teach those who do not know, it is called "knowledge transfer," trolls on the other hand...
Jimmy Crack Corn

Brooklyn, NY

#17 Dec 9, 2008
loop wrote:
<quoted text>No, they do not. Knowledgeable people teach those who do not know, it is called "knowledge transfer," trolls on the other hand...
What if the not knowledgeable people are just hammerskulled tardbuckets, incapable of rational thought?
Bork bork bork

Leopold, IN

#18 Dec 9, 2008
Jimmy Crack Corn wrote:
<quoted text>
What if the not knowledgeable people are just hammerskulled tardbuckets, incapable of rational thought?
You must be their leader.
Jimmy Crack Corn

Brooklyn, NY

#19 Dec 9, 2008
Bork bork bork wrote:
<quoted text>You must be their leader.
Nice Swedish Chef name handle, dorkwad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ubuntu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Install Remote Desktop Ubuntu Server with X2go ... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Dave 1
News KaOS Calms Down KDE (Jul '14) Jul '14 Matthias Schuster 1
News Ubuntu's Lonely Road (Dec '13) Mar '14 Dirty African Ubuntu 2
News Linux on the NUC: Using Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, a... (Feb '14) Feb '14 huh 1
News Lini is a Haswell PC for Linuxa a (Jan '14) Jan '14 XubuntuLover 1
News Which Linux? (Jun '13) Jun '13 jymm 1
News [TORRENT] tooppy_1-0_precise-5.4.3.iso (Jun '13) Jun '13 Gerald 1
More from around the web