Linux saga: Girl drops out of school over Ubuntu

Jan 17, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TG Daily

After receiving her new Dell notebook, a young female student at Madison Area Technical College in Wisconsin realized it contained Ubuntu for an operating system , and not Windows.

Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Jan 19, 2009
John

Mount Vernon, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2009

What a poppus bitch. She should not ever use linux, or a computer for that matter.
Someone who enrolls into a Technical College and can't make Ubuntu run word is an idiot.
emmerc

Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2009

Shame on us!!! I am Ubuntu user since four years ago and I have gotten tons of help and advice on the web about the workarounds needed for my Ubuntu box to work as I wish. I cannot understand how someone can harass this lady! She should have gotten advice and How-to messages and not insults! Ubuntu means people toward people and this is not what we have show in this opportunity! What a shame! What a Shame on us linux and Ubuntu users! Help and assistance is what she needs and not insults! What a Shame!

“6 of one, 0110 of the other.”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2009

If she knew her Verizon install CD said "Windows" and she needed MS Word, why did she buy a computer with Linux instead of Windows? If Dell got the order wrong, why didn't she send it back to them?

If I needed a circular saw for my trade school, I wouldn't buy jigsaw blades then complain when carpenters called me ignorant.

Kudos to the Ubuntu gurus who tried to help her, though! I bet there were more of them than ACTUAL users that flamed her (probably just pseudo-techs looking for any reason to make someone feel bad).

“We The People”

Since: Dec 08

From Canada to Brazil

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2009

You don't need "Word" if you are running Ubuntu, you can install OpenOffice which provides the same functionality as well as the same document formats.

I've been using Ubuntu since Feisty, any problems I have were either solved by googling, using the Ubuntu support forums, or by consulting the Linux gurus at work. Most problems now, I can solve myself but the Internet is a vast resource for problems I have not yet encountered.
bill gates

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2009

It looks like my world domination plan may still be
working!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ubuntu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KaOS Calms Down KDE Jul '14 Matthias Schuster 1
Ubuntu's Lonely Road (Dec '13) Mar '14 Dirty African Ubuntu 2
Linux on the NUC: Using Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, a... (Feb '14) Feb '14 huh 1
Lini is a Haswell PC for Linuxa a (Jan '14) Jan '14 XubuntuLover 1
Which Linux? (Jun '13) Jun '13 jymm 1
[TORRENT] tooppy_1-0_precise-5.4.3.iso (Jun '13) Jun '13 Gerald 1
ModernMix runs Metro applications in desktop mode (Mar '13) Mar '13 Mike 1

Search the Ubuntu Forum:
•••