New anti-abortion tactic: Redefine 'personhood'

Full story: TwinCities.com

A group of anti-abortion activists has unrolled a new strategy: Stretch the legal definition of "person" in state constitutions to cover a freshly fertilized egg in a woman's womb.
Comments
1 - 20 of 1,355 Comments Last updated Aug 26, 2012
First Prev
of 68
Next Last
Abortion

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Apr 11, 2010
Abortion is murder. See the blood, feel the blood, smell the blood. Abortion is Wrong. Wrong is but falseness put into action!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
eric

Mankato, MN

#3 Apr 11, 2010
hey jesus freaks! Leave it alone! Its a personal choice, if you dont like our laws here in america and want a religious state, move to the middle east.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Apr 11, 2010
People who support abortion today would have also supported slavery 200 years ago. Some people simply cannot differniate right from wrong. Just because its legal does not make it right.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sorb

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Apr 11, 2010
Abortion wrote:
Abortion is murder. See the blood, feel the blood, smell the blood. Abortion is Wrong. Wrong is but falseness put into action!
Ligten up.
Lux et Veritas

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Apr 11, 2010
On the horns of a pro-abortion dilemma: trying to defend the extermination of a "human non-person." These apostles of Peter Singer aren't very convincing in their semantic subtrefuge. Ultrasound pictures of children in the womb eloquently rebut their cruel sophistry: http://www.yourdevelopingbaby.com/sampleChapt...

Former Planned Parenthood clinic director Abby Johnson says, "I know that a lot of [abortion] clinic workers feel trapped in the abortion industry... One thing that drives them [the abortion industry] always is profit... The bottom line is that they're hurting; their numbers are down. People aren't going to them for family planning services like they used to; they can't fill up their schedules like they used to... They [PP] assume that minority women are naive and will listen to anything they say... For the entire fiscal year '09 our family planning clincs were in the hole; ...the only reason Planned Parenthood made any money in fiscal year '09 was because of their abortion services. It's a cash business; they don't file insurance because they want to be sure they get the money up front.... they charge anywhere from $500 to $900 for abortions up to 16 weeks ... that [abortion profit] really is what saves them at the end of the year... As many as 8 of 10 women who view ultrasounds and view the heartbeat of their child change their minds about abortion... Abortion facilities don't want women to make that maternal connection because then they lose money if the woman chooses life... Almost all the women walking in to have an abortion think it's a baby; when they ask you questions, they say,'What about my baby?' They call it a baby, but the clinic workers are not going to respond in that same kind of language."

http://www.blip.tv/file/3372786 -- Interview with Abby Johnson
Bill

Wichita, KS

#8 Apr 11, 2010
Would it bother us more if they used guns? www.Abort73.com

“REUNITE GONDWANALAND!”

Since: Jun 08

Woodbury

#10 Apr 11, 2010
Lux et Veritas wrote:
On the horns of a pro-abortion dilemma: trying to defend the extermination of a "human non-person." These apostles of Peter Singer aren't very convincing in their semantic subtrefuge. Ultrasound pictures of children in the womb eloquently rebut their cruel sophistry: http://www.yourdevelopingbaby.com/sampleChapt...
Former Planned Parenthood clinic director Abby Johnson says, "I know that a lot of [abortion] clinic workers feel trapped in the abortion industry... One thing that drives them [the abortion industry] always is profit... The bottom line is that they're hurting; their numbers are down. People aren't going to them for family planning services like they used to; they can't fill up their schedules like they used to... They [PP] assume that minority women are naive and will listen to anything they say... For the entire fiscal year '09 our family planning clincs were in the hole; ...the only reason Planned Parenthood made any money in fiscal year '09 was because of their abortion services. It's a cash business; they don't file insurance because they want to be sure they get the money up front.... they charge anywhere from $500 to $900 for abortions up to 16 weeks ... that [abortion profit] really is what saves them at the end of the year... As many as 8 of 10 women who view ultrasounds and view the heartbeat of their child change their minds about abortion... Abortion facilities don't want women to make that maternal connection because then they lose money if the woman chooses life... Almost all the women walking in to have an abortion think it's a baby; when they ask you questions, they say,'What about my baby?' They call it a baby, but the clinic workers are not going to respond in that same kind of language."
http://www.blip.tv/file/3372786 -- Interview with Abby Johnson
Diane Quest, a spokeswoman for Planned Parenthood, said she could not speak to Johnson's allegations about money, but said 90 percent of the health care that "our affiliates provide is preventative in nature -- contraception, screenings and STD testing and treatment."
"Obviously, many people -- both patients and health care providers -- experience complex thoughts and emotions about abortion," Quest said. "That's why Planned Parenthood respects it as a personal, emotional issue."
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/pla...

The key point is that the decision whether or not to abort is deeply personal - I respect a woman's right to decide what to do with her own body, and you, apparently, do not. You would defund Planned Parenthood, even though it is an important source for contraception, STD screening and treatment as well as prenatal care for poor women, and you would force women to carry unwanted and even dangerous pregnancies to term.
ProChoiceBob666

Silver Spring, MD

#11 Apr 11, 2010
<<Abortion is murder.>>

Then you won';t have any trouble posting a state or federal statute that defines legal abortion as "murder," right?

<<<See the blood, feel the blood, smell the blood. >>

I've seen more blood at the scene of a domestic violence call.

<<Abortion is Wrong. Wrong is but falseness put into action! >>

If abortion is "wrong" for you, you are free to never have one, even if continuing the pregnancy will cause your death. You don't get to make that choice for anyone else.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Lux et Veritas

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Apr 11, 2010
Darwinian wrote:
<quoted text>
Diane Quest, a spokeswoman for Planned Parenthood, said she could not speak to Johnson's allegations about money, but said 90 percent of the health care that "our affiliates provide is preventative in nature -- contraception, screenings and STD testing and treatment."
"Obviously, many people -- both patients and health care providers -- experience complex thoughts and emotions about abortion," Quest said. "That's why Planned Parenthood respects it as a personal, emotional issue."
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/pla...
The key point is that the decision whether or not to abort is deeply personal - I respect a woman's right to decide what to do with her own body, and you, apparently, do not. You would defund Planned Parenthood, even though it is an important source for contraception, STD screening and treatment as well as prenatal care for poor women, and you would force women to carry unwanted and even dangerous pregnancies to term.
Red herring. Most Americans (about 70 percent) don't want their taxes to fund abortions. Many of them don't oppose choice (i.e., an informed choice, something Planned Parenthood fights at every turn); they just don't want to be dragooned into subsidizing those life-destroying choices. Planned Parenthood gets $349.6 million taxpayer dollars and still whines about not having sufficient government funding. Every Planned Parenthood clinic that closed last year (6 in El Paso, 5 in Indiana, etc.) cited a lack of funding. Pro-lifers manage to fund over 2,300 pregnancy resource centers. Why can't pro-choicers put their money where their mouths are?
The Weatherman

Burlington, KS

#13 Apr 11, 2010
The odds of the death of the mother during a pregnancy are less than 1%. Keep digging, pro-death freaks.....

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#14 Apr 11, 2010
The Weatherman wrote:
The odds of the death of the mother during a pregnancy are less than 1%. Keep digging, pro-death freaks.....
Even if it's just one (1) woman, it's too many.
TC Florida

United States

#15 Apr 11, 2010
Some of us are opposed to abortion on moral and medical grounds, not religious. It is very short-sighted of you to make your assumption. Plus, since when do we have the right to tell religious-minded people that their voice doesn't count?
eric wrote:
hey jesus freaks! Leave it alone! Its a personal choice, if you dont like our laws here in america and want a religious state, move to the middle east.
Billy Bob Big-Johnson

Larkspur, CO

#17 Apr 11, 2010
There you go again spouting those made up facts and trying to pass them off as reality.

Maybe a gig on a talk show is your proper forum?
Lux et Veritas wrote:
<quoted text>
Red herring. Most Americans (about 70 percent) don't want their taxes to fund abortions. Many of them don't oppose choice (i.e., an informed choice, something Planned Parenthood fights at every turn); they just don't want to be dragooned into subsidizing those life-destroying choices. Planned Parenthood gets $349.6 million taxpayer dollars and still whines about not having sufficient government funding. Every Planned Parenthood clinic that closed last year (6 in El Paso, 5 in Indiana, etc.) cited a lack of funding. Pro-lifers manage to fund over 2,300 pregnancy resource centers. Why can't pro-choicers put their money where their mouths are?
The Weatherman

Burlington, KS

#18 Apr 11, 2010
twinertia wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if it's just one (1) woman, it's too many.
But to justify the very vast majority by the smallest of minority is mindless..... Try again.......
A Nnoyed

Seaford, NY

#20 Apr 11, 2010
It's murder in the name of convenience, not about choice and freedom.

People want to have sex that is more fun and if it results in an 'accident', they want to kill the accident.

Abortion should be legal for a whole host of societal reasons, but just call a spade a spade. It's not about rights and freedoms, it's a vicious solution to an unwanted pregnancy. Nothing more nothing less.
P T Bull

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Apr 11, 2010
sorb wrote:
<quoted text>
Ligten up.

Some people just don't see the humor in the destruction of a fetus like you do.

The headline premise is stupid--its a very old tactic. Maybe its just getting more traction now as more people become less comfortable with abortion.
P T Bull

Minneapolis, MN

#22 Apr 11, 2010
Darwinian wrote:
<quoted text>...The key point is that the decision whether or not to abort is deeply personal - I respect a woman's right to decide what to do with her own body, and you, apparently, do not...

You are committing intellectual fraud by intentionally ignoring the main point--which is that people are concerned about the fetus. That does not mean the woman has no rights, it means there are a number of people who have rights. Mother, father, baby.

99% of abortion advocates pretend its not about the fetus--they do not have the strength to join the debate, so they dodge it.
Billy Bob Big-Johnson

Larkspur, CO

#24 Apr 11, 2010
P T Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
You are committing intellectual fraud by intentionally ignoring the main point--which is that people are concerned about the fetus. That does not mean the woman has no rights, it means there are a number of people who have rights. Mother, father, baby.
99% of abortion advocates pretend its not about the fetus--they do not have the strength to join the debate, so they dodge it.
100% of the pro choice folks believe thaqt it's about their personal choice not what you think is right.

I find it interesting that you neo-cons want the government to enter into the personal choices in some issues, but not others.

W--T--F??
Lux et Veritas

Minneapolis, MN

#25 Apr 11, 2010
Billy Bob Big-Johnson wrote:
There you go again spouting those made up facts and trying to pass them off as reality.
Maybe a gig on a talk show is your proper forum?
<quoted text>
Fatuous bloviation. No surprise there.

CNN Poll November 2009: "Generally speaking, are you in favor of using public funds for abortions when the woman cannot afford it, or are you opposed to that?"

Favor -- 37 percent
Oppose -- 61 percent

Quinnipiac Poll -- December 2009:“Do you support or oppose allowing abortions to be paid for by public funds under a health care reform bill?”

Oppose -- 72 percent
Favor -- 23 percent
Lux et Veritas

Minneapolis, MN

#26 Apr 11, 2010
P T Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
Some people just don't see the humor in the destruction of a fetus like you do.
The headline premise is stupid--its a very old tactic. Maybe its just getting more traction now as more people become less comfortable with abortion.
Much less comfortable. Even pro-choice writers like New York Magazine's Jennifer Senior candidly admit it.

"... According to a Gallup poll from July, 60 percent of Americans think abortion should be either illegal or “legal only in a few circumstances.” Only seventeen states pay for the procedure for poor women beyond the standards of the 1977 Hyde Amendment—meaning if the woman’s life is in danger or she’s been the victim of rape or incest. Just two months before the health-care bill’s passage in the House, a Rasmussen poll found that 48 percent of the public didn’t want abortion covered in any government-subsidized health plan, while just 13 percent did.[ More recently, a December 2009 Quinnipiac Poll reported, "The poll of likely voters showed 72 percent said they oppose allowing abortions to be paid for with public funds under any new health care system created by the government. Quinnipiac asked respondents:“Do you support or oppose allowing abortions to be paid for by public funds under a health care reform bill?” Just 23 percent supported the idea, and 5 percent did not know."]...

"Abortion counselors will also tell you that the stigma attached to the procedure is worse than it’s been in years.“When I started as a patient advocate in Ohio in 1996,” says Jeannie Ludlow, a professor at Eastern Illinois University who has written a great deal about abortion,“what I mostly saw were women who were thinking about abortion in individual ways—this is what’s going on in my life, this is what I’m thinking I should do. But by the time I left in 2008, our patients would be saying all that and ‘Oh, and I know I’m going to feel bad for the rest of my life,’ even if they seemed perfectly sure of their choice.”...

"... Generally, science is the friend of progressive political causes. Not this one. As fetal ultrasound technology improved during the nineties, abortion providers, conditioned to reassure patients that the fetus was merely tissue, found it much harder to do so once their patients were staring at images that looked so lifelike. Banking on the emotional power of seeing a beating heart on a television screen—many in the pro-life movement refer to sonograms as “God’s window”—organizations like Focus on the Family began to use this technology to their advantage, sending ultrasound machines to Crisis Pregnancy Centers in an initiative taglined “Revealing Life to Save Life.”...

"NARAL’s Nancy Keenan likes to say that abortion’s biggest defenders right now are a “menopausal militia”—a rueful, inspired little joke. These baby-boomers, whose young adulthoods were defined by the fight over the right to choose, will soon be numerically overtaken by a generation of twentysomethings who is more pro-life than any but our senior citizens. As GOP strategists Christopher Blunt and Fred Steeper have pointed out, this group came of age during the partial-birth debate and was the first to grow up with pictures of sonograms on their refrigerators."

The Abortion Distortion" -- http://nymag.com/news/features/62379/index5.h...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 68
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stem Cell Research Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
fetal stem cell treatment (Feb '06) Aug 15 fraudbuster 2,726
Dr Feinerman Miami stemcell stemcellregenmed.com (Feb '12) Aug 14 Mike Gregg 30
Migraine headaches Aug 13 Big Dog 2
stem enhance product pros and cons (Mar '08) Aug 6 oil lady 160
Human stem cells grow differently in space (May '10) Jul '14 David Granovsky 4
It May Take Guts to Cure Diabetes Jul '14 Olympian 3
Placenta Implantation Effectiveness? Jul '14 Osteo Mike 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••