NASA: 2012 Was Ninth Warmest Year on ...

NASA: 2012 Was Ninth Warmest Year on Record

There are 24 comments on the KRVN-AM Lexington story from Jan 15, 2013, titled NASA: 2012 Was Ninth Warmest Year on Record. In it, KRVN-AM Lexington reports that:

The year 2012 was the ninth warmest globally since record keeping began in 1880, said climate scientists Tuesday from NASA.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KRVN-AM Lexington.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SpaceBlues

United States

#1 Jan 16, 2013
Summary: Eleven of the 12 hottest years on record have occurred since 2001, according to data from the World Meteorological Organisation.

2013 is "likely to be warmer than 2012," the Met Office said in its annual forecast for the coming year.

Year 2011 is ranked the warmest on record, having been 0.54 degrees above the long-term average, while 2012 is ranked the ninth warmest, with a rise of 0.45 degree Celsius.

Above forecast is based on Met's own research as well as data from the University of East Anglia, the NASA Goddard Institute of Space Studies, and the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#2 Jan 16, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
Summary: Eleven of the 12 hottest years on record have occurred since 2001, according to data from the World Meteorological Organisation.
2013 is "likely to be warmer than 2012," the Met Office said in its annual forecast for the coming year.
Year 2011 is ranked the warmest on record, having been 0.54 degrees above the long-term average, while 2012 is ranked the ninth warmest, with a rise of 0.45 degree Celsius.
Above forecast is based on Met's own research as well as data from the University of East Anglia, the NASA Goddard Institute of Space Studies, and the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
WOW more flaws in your global warming cooling climate change. As you say "likely to be" "according to" and your best forecast. What do you do at night get your Chrystal ball out and do more predictions and forecast the climate global warming cooling?

Since: Jan 13

Fairfax, VA

#4 Jan 16, 2013
Here is the graph (from NASA)

Assuming you know what an upwards slope means, whenthe Y-axis is marked -- temperature.
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#5 Jan 16, 2013
Wallop10 wrote:
Here is the graph (from NASA)
Assuming you know what an upwards slope means, whenthe Y-axis is marked -- temperature.
Well the commander of correcting misspelled and grammar errors made one it’s self. Gee do you really really know what an upward slope really really is? Oh do explain "whenthe".

Fairfax, VA

#6 Jan 16, 2013
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>Well the commander of correcting misspelled and grammar errors made one it’s self. Gee do you really really know what an upward slope really really is? Oh do explain "whenthe".
Do explain you can't read a simple graph!!!!!!
You were proven DEAD wrong.

Substance over form. I can't type -- you can't read a graph

Gee which is worse.
HA HA HA

You're still proving to me you are a moron, you realize.
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#7 Jan 16, 2013
Wallop10 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do explain you can't read a simple graph!!!!!!
You were proven DEAD wrong.
Substance over form. I can't type -- you can't read a graph
Gee which is worse.
HA HA HA
You're still proving to me you are a moron, you realize.
You couldn't prove first grade science less -ON. The only substance you could show ran down your leg. Worse, your useless cut and paste babble.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#8 Jan 16, 2013
PHD wrote:
As you say "likely to be" "according to" and your best forecast.
toxic topix AGW denier continued betting against the House, gets toxic topix AGW deniers burned down.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#9 Jan 16, 2013
Wallop10 wrote:
I can't type --
Don't worry.'phud fetid feces face' has had hundreds, if not thousands of spelling & English mistakes, second only to 'tiny-minded anne'. The only thing 'phud fetid feces face' has to hold on to, is that someone else isn't perfect, to side-track away from its frequent errors that cause its posts to fall into incomprehensibility.

Note: toxic topix AGW deniers never learn. They repeat, year after year, what they don't know. I might hope you don't tire of never making headway to change their thinking. You never will, but they will keep posting. Your best choice is to...... chose the long haul, not to convince them, but that they can NOT be left to toxic topix by themselves, to be left unopposed.
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#10 Jan 17, 2013
pinheadlitesout wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm A toxic topix AGW denier continued betting against the House, gets toxic topix AGW deniers burned down.
Yes you do. So did you get that check up from the neck up?

Fairfax, VA

#11 Jan 17, 2013
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>Yes you do. So did you get that check up from the neck up?
So troll, how many posts have you repeated that same idiotic line on.

Anything to shut down the conservation -- seems to be your REAL agenda.

But that's why I am calling you a troll.
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#12 Jan 18, 2013
Wallop10 wrote:
<quoted text>
So troll, how many posts have you repeated that same idiotic line on.
Anything to shut down the conservation -- seems to be your REAL agenda.
But that's why I am calling you a troll.
Wrong again walloped. My agenda now pay attention is to seek the real truth about global warming cooling climate change. To date like and your friends out there you have nothing to offer but cut and paste useless babble. Do show all your own published work. Take a long look in the mirror if your looking for a troll you will soon discover one. See in kind.
SpaceBlues

United States

#13 Jan 18, 2013
In an opinion piece in Saturday’s New York Times titled “The Conversion of a Climate-Change Skeptic,” Muller writes:“Three years ago I identified problems in previous climate studies that, in my mind, threw doubt on the very existence of global warming. Last year, following an intensive research effort involving a dozen scientists, I concluded that global warming was real and that the prior estimates of the rate of warming were correct. I’m now going a step further: Humans are almost entirely the cause.”

Professor Muller could do all that at Berkeley because he's a rea PhD.

The fake one in *12 above has no means to get at the truth. No even copy and paste.
SpaceBlues

United States

#14 Jan 18, 2013
Professor Muller could do all that at Berkeley because he's a real PhD.
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#15 Jan 18, 2013
There’s that word again "opinion". See they really really don't know do they.
SpaceBlues

United States

#16 Jan 18, 2013
"opinion" is allowed for the experts.

PHD

Cibolo, TX

#17 Jan 18, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
"opinion" is allowed for the experts.
Opinion is allowed for those who really really don't know. Much like you spaced out.
SpaceBlues

United States

#18 Jan 18, 2013
Poor troll. Nobody listens to it because it's not a real PhD.

PHD

Cibolo, TX

#19 Jan 18, 2013
SpacedoutBlues wrote:
I'M aPoor troll. Nobody listens to ME because I'M not a real SPACE Person.
You do an excellent job of making an ASSumption of your---self. You really really don't know. All you know is that you stay in the state of spaced out.
SpaceBlues

United States

#20 Jan 18, 2013
Mann was brought up in Amherst, Massachusetts, where his father was a professor of mathematics at the University of Massachusetts (UMass). At school he was interested in math, science and computing. In 1983 he was prompted by seeing the film WarGames to write a rudimentary self-learning tic-tac-toe program which made random moves and listed losing moves which it would not repeat. Mann found a "trick" of using symmetry to reduce the number of unique moves to store so that the computer would not slow down so much.[3]

In August 1984 he went to the University of California, Berkeley, to major in physics with a second major in applied math. His second year research in the theoretical behaviour of liquid crystals used the Monte Carlo method applying randomness in computer simulations. Late in 1987 he joined a research team under Didier de Fontaine which was using similar Monte Carlo methodology to investigate the superconducting properties of yttrium barium copper oxide, modelling transitions between ordered and disordered phases.[4] He graduated with honors in 1989 with an A.B. in applied mathematics and physics.[1]

Mann then studied at Yale University for his PhD, obtaining both an MS and an MPhil in physics in 1991. His interest was in theoretical condensed matter physics but he found himself being pushed towards detailed semiconductor work. He looked at course options with a wider topic area, and was enthused by PhD adviser Barry Saltzman about climate modelling and research. To try this out he spent the summer of 1991 assisting a postdoctoral researcher in simulating the period of peak Cretaceous warmth when CO2 levels were high, but fossils indicated most warming at the poles, with little warming in the tropics. Mann then joined the Yale Department of Geology and Geophysics and began further coursework and exams, obtaining an MPhil in geology and geophysics in 1993. His research focussed on natural variability and climate oscillations. He worked with the seismologist Jeffrey Park, and their joint research adapted a statistical method developed for identifying seismological oscillations to find various periodicities in the instrumental temperature record, the longest being about 60 to 80 years. The paper Mann and Park published in December 1994 came to similar conclusions to a study developed in parallel using different methodology and published in January of that year, which found what was later called the Atlantic multidecadal oscillation.[5]

While still finishing his PhD research, Mann met UMass climate science professor Raymond S. Bradley and began research in collaboration with him and Park. Their research used paleoclimate proxy data from Bradley's previous work and methods Mann had developed with Park, to find oscillations in the longer proxy records. "Global Interdecadal and Century-Scale Climate Oscillations During the Past Five Centuries" was published by Nature in November 1995.[6]

Another study by Mann and Park raised a minor technical issue with a climate model about human influence on climate change: this was published in 1996. In the context of controversy over the IPCC Second Assessment Report the paper was praised by those opposed to action on climate change, and the conservative organisation Accuracy in Media claimed that it had not been publicised due to media bias. Mann defended his PhD thesis on A study of ocean-atmosphere interaction and low-frequency variability of the climate system in the spring of 1996,[7][8] and was awarded the Phillip M. Orville Prize for outstanding dissertation in the earth sciences in the following year. He was granted his PhD in geology and geophysics in 1998.[1]

[A real PhD. Copy from Wikipedia]
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#21 Jan 18, 2013
More cut and paste useless babble from the spaced out spacedoutblues.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Space Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News If there's alien life in the universe, where is... (Jul '15) Sat North Mountain 149
News Is 'gospel' NASA's 'codeword for aliens'? Sat Earth Whisperer 2
News Peggy Whitson, First Woman to Command the Inter... (Mar '10) Sat Aurora 4
News NYPD commanders, businessman plead not guilty i... Jul 13 aylageorge 1
News NASA: 2011 the Ninth-Warmest Year Since 1880 (Jan '12) Jul 12 litesong 86
News Monae says film on black women at NASA key part... Jul 8 2 Dogs 22
The Apollo Moon Missions Were Faked in a Studio (Mar '13) Jul 6 Cosmored 2
More from around the web