Expert: We must act fast on warming

Expert: We must act fast on warming

There are 28465 comments on the Kansas.com story from Sep 24, 2008, titled Expert: We must act fast on warming. In it, Kansas.com reports that:

Droughts, melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels and mass extinctions will all be a reality unless the U.S. and the world cut back on carbon emissions dramatically, said James Hansen, director of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kansas.com.

Cousin Jethro

Clermont, FL

#13891 Sep 15, 2010
Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>Did reading it make the headache better or worse?<quoted text>"Miraculous" accidents are bound to happen while playing golf, I've had a few.
The sad part about those, "accidents" is that it's mostly all they are, even the Tex mex, Lee Trevino admitted that.<quoted text>Mmmm.<quoted text>Don't be, I was old and ugly enough to know better.<quoted text>The good things in life soon disappear.
Mine had some lime in it, now commonly known as a poof's drink in the UK.
The realization that we were on similar wavelengths soon healed the somatic.

Lee Trevino was said to hold a 1-iron aloft when the lightning horn was sounded some years ago -- when asked why, he said, "Even God can't hit a one-iron..."

Some Yogi's recommend ten or so drops of lime juice in plain water for a mild tonic. Lime in beer is a big deal with Corona, a Mexican beer..."Brandy Alexander," has been traditionally associated with poofs in the US -- best if ordered with a lispy high voice :-)
Earthling

Pinoso, Spain

#13892 Sep 15, 2010
Cousin Jethro wrote:
The realization that we were on similar wavelengths soon healed the somatic.
If I can help somebody as I pass along, then my living shall not be in vain.
Cousin Jethro wrote:
Lee Trevino was said to hold a 1-iron aloft when the lightning horn was sounded some years ago -- when asked why, he said, "Even God can't hit a one-iron..."
Heard him say that on UK TV back in the 70s, when he had a weekly golf tutorial programme with Sevy Ballesteros.
Trevino also claims to have won against amateurs by using only a Dr Pepper bottle.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9...
In my early golfing days, he and Sevy were the cat's whiskers.
Cousin Jethro wrote:
Some Yogi's recommend ten or so drops of lime juice in plain water for a mild tonic. Lime in beer is a big deal with Corona, a Mexican beer..."Brandy Alexander," has been traditionally associated with poofs in the US -- best if ordered with a lispy high voice :-)
Thankfully, after 20 years in Spain, I'm out of touch with much of what goes on in UK poofter society.
Corona beer is popular here, but expensive.
litesong

Pittsburgh, PA

#13893 Sep 15, 2010
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee
==========
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
I have to disagree with Mr. Lee. I am certain as I can be that Earthling, BG, and Gordo finished learning anything LONG ago.
==========
Cousin Jethro wrote:
Perhaps Lee didn't take into account persons such as whose minds are already dead
==========
litesong wrote:
Here are evidences of CJ's truths. Other names for dirtling include 'earthling has no brain', eart hling (alien has no affinity to Earth),'injun killer'(has no love for human beings)

brian_g thought 4 alleged threats against me would make me leave topix AGW forums......evidence that his brain is dead.

Gord's continual misuse of equations to arrive at erroneous conclusions shows his brain dead condition.
Earthling

Pinoso, Spain

#13894 Sep 15, 2010
I'm waiting to see how may pretty judgement points litesout, AKA libidodown awards himself for yet another crank post.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#13895 Sep 15, 2010
litesong wrote:
...brian_g thought 4 alleged threats against me would make me leave topix AGW forums...
Don't leave yet, you haven't told us why the poles are cold!
Cousin Jethro

Clermont, FL

#13896 Sep 15, 2010
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps Igor removed the lightning clamps too soon? You'll have to ask Dr. Frankenstein

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...
Cousin Jethro

Clermont, FL

#13897 Sep 15, 2010
Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>If I can help somebody as I pass along, then my living shall not be in vain.<quoted text>Heard him say that on UK TV back in the 70s, when he had a weekly golf tutorial programme with Sevy Ballesteros.
Trevino also claims to have won against amateurs by using only a Dr Pepper bottle.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9...
In my early golfing days, he and Sevy were the cat's whiskers.
<quoted text>Thankfully, after 20 years in Spain, I'm out of touch with much of what goes on in UK poofter society.
Corona beer is popular here, but expensive.
Heineken's is more popular in our house.

Ben Hogan used to send his proto new club designs "to that Mexican boy -- he hits 'em solid every time..."

Spent some time near Marbella a couple of years ago -- we love that area
Earthling

Pinoso, Spain

#13898 Sep 15, 2010
Cousin Jethro wrote:
Heineken's is more popular in our house.
Ben Hogan used to send his proto new club designs "to that Mexican boy -- he hits 'em solid every time..."
Spent some time near Marbella a couple of years ago -- we love that area
Small world, we visited that part of southern Spain for golf holidays a few times in the 80s, nearly bought a house in Estepona, just a spit from Marbella.
I played my once only purple even par round on the El Paraiso course, off an 18 handicap.
That was better than a hole in one, which I never managed.
Caught a few eagles over the years, but never an albatross.
We moved to Spain with the intention of keeping in the swing, but somehow I got lucky and managed to shake the monkey off my back after 19 years carrying it around.
We still have our clubs, just in case.
Cousin Jethro

Clermont, FL

#13899 Sep 15, 2010
Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>Small world, we visited that part of southern Spain for golf holidays a few times in the 80s, nearly bought a house in Estepona, just a spit from Marbella.
I played my once only purple even par round on the El Paraiso course, off an 18 handicap.
That was better than a hole in one, which I never managed.
Caught a few eagles over the years, but never an albatross.
We moved to Spain with the intention of keeping in the swing, but somehow I got lucky and managed to shake the monkey off my back after 19 years carrying it around.
We still have our clubs, just in case.
Had been playing a lot here til recently when I tore a tendon in a finger -- no ace's here, either -- in my best round I had five pars in a row -- then Yahweh decided that were enough and sent Zeus with some lightning bolts :-)

Since: Aug 08

Pittsburgh, PA

#13900 Sep 15, 2010
litesong wrote:
...brian_g thought 4 alleged threats against me would make me leave topix AGW forums...
==========
brian_g wrote:
==========
litesong wrote:
......& brian_g, the 4-time alleged threatener is arrogant enough to think he can command his victim. Extreme egotism is often what alleged threateners have running their brains.
GEEWIZ

Broken Arrow, OK

#13901 Sep 15, 2010
litesong wrote:
litesong wrote:
==========
brian_g wrote:
==========
litesong wrote:
......& brian_g, the 4-time alleged threatener is arrogant enough to think he can command his victim. Extreme egotism is often what alleged threateners have running their brains.
4 goodNESS sake please stop CRYING.U are not a happy person are u try being nice like BG is.
GEEWIZ

Broken Arrow, OK

#13902 Sep 15, 2010
Cousin Jethro wrote:
<quoted text>
In my experience with stupid persons, they usually have an ignorance: yours seems to be climate science and its recent findings, granpa
http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php
any one of those data lines could make someone seemingly otherwise intelligent, into a climate stupid person such as yourself -- even into a rude, ranting and raving chimp like Gord
stop listening 2 all them green spinning sites u are sounding like less ain;t gotda clue hype and the other green super hero who had a brain once but it got lost in washington state= northless.look out your winder are u the same jethro that played on beverly hillbillies.from your posts i am sure of it.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#13904 Sep 15, 2010
litesong wrote:
... arrogant enough to think he can command his victim...
He's just a poor victim, he thinks he can say and do whatever he wants, because his opponents are bad.
Earthling

Valencia, Spain

#13905 Sep 16, 2010
Cousin Jethro wrote:
Had been playing a lot here til recently when I tore a tendon in a finger -
OUCH, not from playing golf I hope?
Cousin Jethro wrote:
- no ace's here, either -
They're almost 100% based on luck, I saw a guy hole out after only having played the game for a year.
Cousin Jethro wrote:
- in my best round I had five pars in a row -- then Yahweh decided that were enough and sent Zeus with some lightning bolts :-)
Weather is a golfer's worst enemy, hot, cold, wet or windy.
Playing in icy conditions was fun, we used orange balls.
-
If you lived in the same approximate location in August 1981, we probably flew over your dwelling on the way back from CA, heading for Fort Lauderdale.
Half way across Lake Okeechobee we encountered a tropical storm, so had to turn back and dump the plane at Okeechobee airfield, from where we finished the journey by car.
Did you wave?
Cousin Jethro

Apopka, FL

#13906 Sep 16, 2010
Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>OUCH, not from playing golf I hope?<quoted text>They're almost 100% based on luck, I saw a guy hole out after only having played the game for a year.<quoted text>Weather is a golfer's worst enemy, hot, cold, wet or windy.
Playing in icy conditions was fun, we used orange balls.
-
If you lived in the same approximate location in August 1981, we probably flew over your dwelling on the way back from CA, heading for Fort Lauderdale.
Half way across Lake Okeechobee we encountered a tropical storm, so had to turn back and dump the plane at Okeechobee airfield, from where we finished the journey by car.
Did you wave?
That hateful torn tendon experience was at an occasional error called, "work," as I attempted to repair a doorbell. Since the doorbell still doesn't work and my finger still hurts, I guess that were a dual failure.

In 1981 we lived in Los Angeles, far north of LAX...as we reminisce sometimes, in a house worthy of a sitcom or police show -- recall seeing a Roma father putting his small son up onto a neighbor's tiny window ledge -- at the time we didn't realize this was the entry means for burglary -- the child would go to the front door and open it for the adults -- when we saw it we thought, "oh, there's our neighbor, he's misplaced his key."

Here's some more of those "future cars," that the oil companies seem to have squelched for the past hundred years or so:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php...

Amusing to contemplate the going's on of a hundred years ago:

"[Barney] Oldfield made a fine showing at the opening of the Indianapolis Speedway (August 19-21, 1909), in a Mercedes.[7]

He bought a Benz, and raised his speed in 1910 to 70.159 mph (112.910 km/h) in his "Blitzen Benz". Later that year he drove to 131.25 mph (211.23 km/h). He used the car to break the existing mile, two mile (3 km), and kilometer records at the Daytona Beach Road Course at Ormond, Florida. He was able to charge $4000 for each appearance after that.[2]" [Wiki]
Earthling

Valencia, Spain

#13907 Sep 16, 2010
Cousin Jethro wrote:
That hateful torn tendon experience was at an occasional error called, "work," as I attempted to repair a doorbell. Since the doorbell still doesn't work and my finger still hurts, I guess that were a dual failure.
Jeez, how big was the doorbell?!?!?
Cousin Jethro wrote:
In 1981 we lived in Los Angeles, far north of LAX...as we reminisce sometimes, in a house worthy of a sitcom or police show -- recall seeing a Roma father putting his small son up onto a neighbor's tiny window ledge -- at the time we didn't realize this was the entry means for burglary -- the child would go to the front door and open it for the adults -- when we saw it we thought, "oh, there's our neighbor, he's misplaced his key."
The joys of youth.
Cousin Jethro wrote:
Here's some more of those "future cars," that the oil companies seem to have squelched for the past hundred years or so:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php...
It's too easy to lay the blame at the feet of oil companies, because when the time comes, they'll be the saviours of mankind as long as they haven't already destroyed their customer base.
We await the discovery of perpetual motion.
Cousin Jethro wrote:
Amusing to contemplate the going's on of a hundred years ago:
my dad was born in 1895, so I heard a bit about those times.
Cousin Jethro wrote:
"[Barney] Oldfield made a fine showing at the opening of the Indianapolis Speedway (August 19-21, 1909), in a Mercedes.[7]
He bought a Benz, and raised his speed in 1910 to 70.159 mph (112.910 km/h) in his "Blitzen Benz". Later that year he drove to 131.25 mph (211.23 km/h). He used the car to break the existing mile, two mile (3 km), and kilometer records at the Daytona Beach Road Course at Ormond, Florida. He was able to charge $4000 for each appearance after that.[2]" [Wiki]
I'm an old F1 fan from way back in the 50s, when BRM, et al were doing their thing.
What happened car racing wise on the other side of the pond has never really attracted me, it all looks too false, especially the oval tracks.
Cousin Jethro

Apopka, FL

#13908 Sep 16, 2010
Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>Jeez, how big was the doorbell?!?!?<quoted text>The joys of youth.<quoted text>It's too easy to lay the blame at the feet of oil companies, because when the time comes, they'll be the saviours of mankind as long as they haven't already destroyed their customer base.
We await the discovery of perpetual motion.<quoted text>my dad was born in 1895, so I heard a bit about those times.<quoted text>I'm an old F1 fan from way back in the 50s, when BRM, et al were doing their thing.
What happened car racing wise on the other side of the pond has never really attracted me, it all looks too false, especially the oval tracks.
It was a balky plastic catch that I applied too much force to in trying to release -- it never did release; perhaps someone had epoxied it shut.

It's easy to blame the oil companies when you look on this side of the pond at places like Newark Harbor, Prince William Sound -- or recently, the Gulf of Mexico.

Agreed on oval racing: how about "Figure 8's" -- just kidding -- my wife and I went to a stock car race at an oval and practically choked on the fumes: I guess we're not into that BG sort of breathing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_8_racing

Those guys may be in training to drive for the Taliban :-)
Earthling

Valencia, Spain

#13909 Sep 16, 2010
Cousin Jethro wrote:
It was a balky plastic catch that I applied too much force to in trying to release -- it never did release; perhaps someone had epoxied it shut.
Maybe you simply applied too much force for your finger to take.
I prefer tools for all occasions, like my wise old mum used to say, "Wise men nor fools can work without tools" and she was right.
Cousin Jethro wrote:
It's easy to blame the oil companies when you look on this side of the pond at places like Newark Harbor, Prince William Sound -- or recently, the Gulf of Mexico.
It's hard to make an omelette without breaking eggs.
Cousin Jethro wrote:
Agreed on oval racing: how about "Figure 8's" -- just kidding -- my wife and I went to a stock car race at an oval and practically choked on the fumes: I guess we're not into that BG sort of breathing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_8_racing
Those guys may be in training to drive for the Taliban :-)
LOL, I'd never heard of it before, although I must admit to having thought it might be a good idea.
Now I'm not so sure, must be old age catching up.
Here's a page with some Figure 8 vids:
http://www.google.es/search...
-
NB: I hope your AGW buddies don't reject you for fraternising with the enemy.
Cousin Jethro

Apopka, FL

#13910 Sep 16, 2010
Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe you simply applied too much force for your finger to take.

-
NB: I hope your AGW buddies don't reject you for fraternising with the enemy.
It was one of those simple tasks gone awry and to the doctor's...

Don't worry, there's probably a hundred year pause whilst we await the effects/results of mitigation -- plenty of time to chat amiably -- unless the Iranians get the bomb and use it -- now there's another just mitigation need...
Earthling

Valencia, Spain

#13911 Sep 16, 2010
Cousin Jethro wrote:
Don't worry, there's probably a hundred year pause whilst we await the effects/results of mitigation -- plenty of time to chat amiably -
It's a pity we can't all take a break from insulting each other's intelligence for a while.
Cousin Jethro wrote:
- unless the Iranians get the bomb and use it -- now there's another just mitigation need...
America has always worried about who gets 'the bomb' next, but to date, America is still the only country to have ever used 'the bomb' in anger, says an old CND member.
I remember seeing the results on a newsreel in 45, shortly after seeing the liberation of 'the camps' by the allies, both were indelible memories for a 4 year old.
Mushrooms and striped clothing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Space Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wow! 1st Interstellar Asteroid Is a Spinning Sp... 4 hr The Way I See It 1
News NOAA launching space tools to help predict seve... Nov 13 woodtick57 1
News A message from one who's flying high: You can too Nov 13 Dave 1
News EDITORIAL: Democrats stall NASA nominee for sam... Nov 12 Redd Herring 6
News Earth's ozone hole shrivels to smallest since 1... Nov 6 Baptist ism by Proxy 7
News County News: Watch Amanda Holden's gaffe asking... Oct 29 Geezer 1
News NASA reports 2008 is ninth warmest year since 1880 (Dec '08) Oct '17 GIGO 8
More from around the web