Multiple Planets Orbiting a Pair of Stars

Aug 28, 2012 Full story: Space Ref

NASA's Kepler mission has discovered multiple transiting planets orbiting two suns for the first time.

Full Story

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 Aug 29, 2012
Interesting result:

Tidal forces in this system will drive the stellar companion 1/3 solar mass into the primary eventually forcing a merger.

Same tidal effect will also drive the planets in the system of major mass outward from the interior binary pair. Result is that the 2 known planets would originally have been closer and hotter and are drifting outward and cooling with time.

The outer Neptune mass gas giant is likely to be at Jupiter distance by the time the 2 inner stars merge and brighten to become a 1.3 solar mass main sequence star (~F7.5 and absolute mag ~+4.0).

Have a nice day: Ag
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#2 Aug 29, 2012
Adrian Godsafe MSc wrote:
Interesting result:
Tidal forces in this system will drive the stellar companion 1/3 solar mass into the primary eventually forcing a merger.
Same tidal effect will also drive the planets in the system of major mass outward from the interior binary pair. Result is that the 2 known planets would originally have been closer and hotter and are drifting outward and cooling with time.
The outer Neptune mass gas giant is likely to be at Jupiter distance by the time the 2 inner stars merge and brighten to become a 1.3 solar mass main sequence star (~F7.5 and absolute mag ~+4.0).
Thanks for the extra information. Planets circling multiple stars, but still in fairly tight orbits will be fascinating as more such systems are discovered. Tho I was most interested in galaxy systems, a bit of double, triple, quadruple & open star amateur astronomy viewing gave me an appreciation for the complexities of multi-body orbiting systems. Of course, most visual smaller scope observations at arcseconds, were only able to see multi-star systems normally many A.U. apart.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#3 Aug 29, 2012
'open star' should be 'open star cluster'.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#4 Aug 29, 2012
The more interesting aspect of this discovery is that one of the suns appear to be in the later stages of its life while the other seemingly in its infancy, prompting one to consider the implications of the orbiting planets when the one star implodes/merges with the other.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#5 Sep 3, 2012
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the extra information. Planets circling multiple stars, but still in fairly tight orbits will be fascinating as more such systems are discovered. Tho I was most interested in galaxy systems, a bit of double, triple, quadruple & open star amateur astronomy viewing gave me an appreciation for the complexities of multi-body orbiting systems. Of course, most visual smaller scope observations at arcseconds, were only able to see multi-star systems normally many A.U. apart.
Plenty of info from Hipparcos in the B star eclipsing variable part of the list.

In these cases the bulk of beta Lyr type stars have a distant companion just about visible as a close companion or separated by the Hipparcos viewer.

Algol is also part of this scenario as it is a spectroscopic triple with the 3rd orbiting out of an eclipsing plane but altering RV.

Bulk of these stars orbit with 3rd out of plane so tidal forces lessened. Orbits in polane have max tidal effect.

Same situation exists in Solar system with driving inward of Galilean satellites into Jupiter with Amalthea being the last to break up (or more probably squelch into droplets). Similar out of plane solution exists for Saturn with generation of long lasting ring system as interactions of inner satellites Vs Titan drives inners into Saturn and boots Ttitan outward toward Hyperion.

Plot distances as log scale and tidal resonance positions turn up. Tidal forcing jogs the entire resonances with boon rattling around in them like marbles in a bowl.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Space Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Japan's space goals Thu DRUGDAEGUTHAIDEBD... 2
We'll Find Alien Life in This Lifetime, Scienti... (May '14) Thu One way or another 28
China posts fake rocket launch story (Sep '08) Dec 20 McQuan 691
Reborn Kepler spacecraft discovers another planet Dec 20 Kid_Tomorrow 1
Space probe wakes up for close-up with Pluto Dec 19 Sparky Rabbit 3
Expert: We must act fast on warming (Sep '08) Dec 17 Brian_G 27,952
Orion, Apollo, and Mankind's Future in Space Dec 16 Mr Doom 5
More from around the web