When Did Americans Start Identifying ...

When Did Americans Start Identifying as American?

Since: Sep 12

India

#1 Nov 1, 2012
Hello Friends,

When the American Revolution began, many people in what would be the U.S. considered themselves British. Fighting a war was not what they wanted. Rather, through negotiation with the Crown the colonists wanted fair play on representation and taxes. Maybe if the Crown were more flexible, then we'd be more like Canada regarding our history with England. So, we fought, we won, and while still British in ancestry, we are Americans. When did we start calling ourselves American? When Did Americans Start Identifying as American?
Can anyone suggest me please??

Thanks In Advance
Tony Stevenson
Grandpa In The East

Charlotte, NC

#4 Dec 21, 2014
I think it was after the Civil War. Until then we were Carolinians, New Yorkers, Rhode Islanders, and so forth. I have read (somewhere) that Native Americans were early on were referred to as "Americans." I wish I knew a way to validate this and that is why I came on line.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Software as a Service Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10, Windo... Oct '17 Cameon233 1
News PowWow Energy Releases Automated Water Records ... (Jun '17) Jul '17 American PieJamboree 2
Best Video Converter (Apr '10) May '17 sarahgad 5
News DIA Meeting Explores Intricacies of Web-to-Prin... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Vet 1
Supporting to add watermark to PDF on Mac (Mar '16) Mar '16 alice6341 1
website design company india (Jan '16) Mar '16 jagodaj 2
Top 3 Free Facebook Video Downloaders 2016 (Jan '16) Jan '16 Teddy_6 1
More from around the web