Install Linux, Void Your Netbook's Warranty?

Jan 11, 2010 Full story: TechNewsWorld

There ought to be a law against the kind of treatment visited upon the Best Buy customer who was told that installing Linux on his netbook voided the warranty.

Full Story
Unixpert

Irwin, PA

#1 Jan 11, 2010
"Why do people still by from Best Buy.?" Because in alot of cities Best Buy is the ONLY Brick and Mortar retailer for 90% of Computer supplies. Where I live the next closest store that sells half of what Best Buy sells is 100 miles away.
Jon

Salt Lake City, UT

#5 Jan 18, 2010
They aren't voiding warrenties they are refusing to service any linux altered system. They guy that complained about this got them to finally get thing taken care, but he got the manufacturer involved.

“ALONUSAHI ANANAEL”

Since: Oct 09

ST George UT

#6 Jan 22, 2010
A geek isn't a geek if he/she is to stupid to deal with anything more sophisticated then M$ Windows.
Rjuicer

Toronto, Canada

#7 Jan 22, 2010
Gramen Ferox wrote:
A geek isn't a geek if he/she is to stupid to deal with anything more sophisticated then M$ Windows.
A geek wouldn't buy from Best Buy, he'll be in the Geek Squad~
Darth Vader

Palm Bay, FL

#8 Feb 3, 2010
Unixpert wrote:
"Why do people still by from Best Buy.?" Because in alot of cities Best Buy is the ONLY Brick and Mortar retailer for 90% of Computer supplies. Where I live the next closest store that sells half of what Best Buy sells is 100 miles away.
ups doesn't go to your house?
no wally world near you?
the guy with the linux operating system should of dealt
with the manufacturer instead of the retailer

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Open Source Software Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ELCOT wants its fonts to be adopted (Nov '07) Feb 21 Shankar 29
OpenMotics improves home automation Dec '14 Pavlos Lombardi 1
Groupon in trademark fight Nov '14 ChandraPeers 4
Download free Talking Tom Cat 2 app for Android... Nov '14 seouser 1
Vulnerabilities found in more command-line tool... Nov '14 jhvhgddsdafg 2
halherta Both Apple and Microsoft are guilty of... Oct '14 not happy with an... 1
Post Comment (Jul '07) Sep '14 I-Driver 5
More from around the web