The ReactOS project

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#1 Jun 18, 2011
I'd love to see people get involved in the ReactOS project.

http://www.reactos.org

That is an Open Source alternative to Windows (all the NT varieties including XP and Vista). Unlike WINE, which you run with Linux, ReactOS is a complete Windows-compatible operating system, and in time should work with most modern Windows drivers, and should be much more compatible with Windows programs than WINE once they finish. Speaking of the WINE emulator (despite its full name "WINE Is Not (an) Emulator"), ReactOS does use a lot of WINE code and helps the WINE project. Why not? There is no use to code good code twice, and as the Reactos team discovers the "correct" way (closer to how a certain corporation does things in Redmond, WA) to do a lot of things, those compatibility improvements get ported back to WINE.

Right now, the project is still in Alpha and is missing a lot of functionality. You can run a pre-installed emulator version of it, burn it to a bootable live CD for a test drive, or install it on a PC which you aren't using for something else. It seems to boot faster than Windows. Compatibility is still limited. They've used a small team for years because that was all the people they could get, but having such a small team in comparison to what MS would use means there is a steeper learning curve and it takes much longer to do.

One installation note is that for now, if you want to run it on real hardware and not emulated hardware, you will need to disable the USB support in CMOS. USB 2.0 ports cause the system to hang on boot, and USB 1.x causes mouse and keyboard problems, even if using PS/2 devices. Version 0.13 is the latest official release, but you are free to try a trunk build which would be newer, and those change daily.

Reactos really needs experienced coders with experience in kernel programming, SMP/multi-threading/hyper-thre ading/multi-core stuff, USB, file-systems (like NTFS experience), sound, graphics design, etc. Of course, they can use others like PR people, writers and site designers, and lots of testers and bug reporters.

“;)”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#2 Jun 27, 2011
Looks pretty nice!
:)

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#3 Jun 27, 2011
AeroXtasy wrote:
Looks pretty nice!
:)
I just hope they get it to beta soon. It probably won't be this year, but I've looked at the branch and trunk commits and am happy at what I seen in there. Alexy Bragin, the lead developer, just rewroke a very important section of code (something to do with loading DLLs).

In the next release, if they don't move the USB branch to trunk by then, the USB support will be removed for the time being, since the broken code caused a lot of problems. So hopefully, no more need to disable it in the PC under real hardware. Of course, only one way for me to find out for sure, and that is to burn a more recent trunk revision to a CD and see. They are also busy writing USB file support, which will go a long way toward better file system support.

I also hope that the help from Google will turn into tangible results this year. They sent a team of 6 students to ReactOS, who each get about $500 or whatever to participate. They will be helping with sound and network support, and getting the new Explorer to working (by fixing/writing the underlying code for the APIs it needs).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

High Performance Computing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Prince Andrew opens new world-class research fa... Jun '17 Daisy 1
News The AI fight is escalating: This is the IT gian... May '17 Julzee111 1
News A Cloud for the Artificial Mind: This Data Cent... (Feb '17) Feb '17 thumper0755 1
News What is going on at the Washington Post? (Jan '17) Jan '17 a person who can ... 6
News Will Trump let China beat the U.S. in supercomp... (Nov '16) Nov '16 dkghjkgh 1
News China is undisputed king of supercomputers (Jun '16) Jun '16 sigmund fraud 1
News Supercomputer quietly puts U.S. weather forecas... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Zach 1
More from around the web