Oracle-Sun High-Performance Computing...

Oracle-Sun High-Performance Computing: Still Committed?

There are 1 comment on the Information Week - All Stories and Blogs story from Feb 2, 2010, titled Oracle-Sun High-Performance Computing: Still Committed?. In it, Information Week - All Stories and Blogs reports that:

"Unfortunately for high-performance computing lovers everywhere, there was nary a mention of HPC in Oracle's merger party on Wednesday," says HPCwire .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Information Week - All Stories and Blogs.

Experienced HPC person

Carver, MA

#1 Feb 4, 2010
Couple of observations on the Oracle/Sun future.(1) The current Sun line of computers is expected to continue, so any computers that were High Performance should continue. Also Oracle has said they will do a processor refrest this year, so performance should continue to increase.(2) Oracle thrives on relationships with committed customers, so any large HPC customers should get Oracle's attention.(3) Many (most?) large HPC customers use Oracle databases, so that's a second factor in their being able to attract oracle's attenion.(4) oracle/sun is heavily involved in Grid and Cloud.(5) I don't see Oracle focusing on the mainframe or supercomputer segments of the HPC market, as it's capital intensive, but it should serve the science and industrial HPC markets nicely. I think we need to let the dust settle.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

High Performance Computing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Prince Andrew opens new world-class research fa... Jun '17 Daisy 1
News The AI fight is escalating: This is the IT gian... May '17 Julzee111 1
News A Cloud for the Artificial Mind: This Data Cent... Feb '17 thumper0755 1
News What is going on at the Washington Post? (Jan '17) Jan '17 a person who can ... 6
News Will Trump let China beat the U.S. in supercomp... (Nov '16) Nov '16 dkghjkgh 1
News China is undisputed king of supercomputers (Jun '16) Jun '16 sigmund fraud 1
News Supercomputer quietly puts U.S. weather forecas... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Zach 1
More from around the web