Theory: Large Hadron Collider Could O...

Theory: Large Hadron Collider Could Open Unknown Portals

There are 25 comments on the naturalplane.blogspot.com story from Nov 12, 2009, titled Theory: Large Hadron Collider Could Open Unknown Portals . In it, naturalplane.blogspot.com reports that:

The LHC, built inside a 27-km circular subterranean tunnel deep beneath the Franco-Swiss border outside Geneva, functions like a sort of orbital motorway for extremely high-speed hadrons - typically either protons or lead ions.

Naturally, some extremely strange phenomena are to be expected when one mangles the very fabric of space-time itself in this fashion. Various eccentric nutballs have claimed that this would doom humanity in one fashion or another; perhaps converting the entire Earth, everything on it and possibly the rest of the universe too into "strangelet soup", monopole mulligatawny or some other sort of frightful sub-particulate blancmange or custard.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at naturalplane.blogspot.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Ding dong, Wacko's DEAD”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#1 Nov 12, 2009
I believe this is the device mentioned in "What The @#%!! Do We Know?" that some suspected might create black holes. Here. Now.

So we're about to find out if the sound isolated from just before The Big Bang was really, "Oops."

Father Theresa

“Sign at Offbeat E-Entrance”

Since: Oct 09

Bang-la-desh

#2 Nov 12, 2009
'All the Myriad Ways', Larry Niven.
NW Hominid

Puyallup, WA

#3 Nov 12, 2009
Gotta get it to work first, and then figure out how to stop it when it does...
weaselovercome

West Springfield, MA

#4 Nov 12, 2009
Father Theresa wrote:
'All the Myriad Ways', Larry Niven.
My current favorite is "Fountains of Paradise" by Arthur C. Clarke. Equatorial orbit space elevator anchored by super thick nanocables to a city in space. Yeah!(I've got tons of old SF paperbacks and hardcovers ina fairly comprehensive collection going back to the mid-fourties.)
weaselovercome

West Springfield, MA

#5 Nov 12, 2009
There was a great deal of concern in the scientific community prior to the first nuclear detonation in 1945. The idea was that it would cause an irreversible chain reaction that could destroy the earth (shades of the Doomsday Machine in Dr. Strangelove). Now that Pandora's nuclear box is open,my concern is that some nuclear yahoos, like India and Pakistan for example, would be going toe to toe with a nice 50 megaton exchange... After something like that would our quality of life suffer? Ya think?

Since: Sep 09

Dexter, MI

#6 Nov 12, 2009
I owns several!
Arminius

Buffalo, NY

#7 Nov 12, 2009
NW Hominid wrote:
Gotta get it to work first, and then figure out how to stop it when it does...
Spray it with WD-40!

sugarglidergirl

“Laughing with you... LOL.”

Since: Jul 09

Germantown, NY

#8 Nov 12, 2009
Arminius wrote:
<quoted text>Spray it with WD-40!
Nah, this calls for duct tape.
NW Hominid

Puyallup, WA

#9 Nov 12, 2009
Arminius wrote:
<quoted text>Spray it with WD-40!
Don't have any metric tools or spray applicators...

“Out in the West Texas”

Since: Mar 08

town of El Paso

#10 Nov 12, 2009
Maybe we'll get lucky and it will just suck France into oblivion.

“Yo ho and a bottle of rum...”

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#11 Nov 12, 2009
I think it doesn't work because someone didn't plug it in. And if it does what it is suppose to do ,we should hear a large BIG BANG and we will be back in say 4.5 billion years, give or take a week or two.

Father Theresa

Bang-la-desh

#12 Nov 12, 2009
weaselovercome wrote:
<quoted text>
My current favorite is "Fountains of Paradise" by Arthur C. Clarke. Equatorial orbit space elevator anchored by super thick nanocables to a city in space. Yeah!(I've got tons of old SF paperbacks and hardcovers ina fairly comprehensive collection going back to the mid-fourties.)
Macroscope by Poul Anderson (or was it Piers Anthony? I get them mixed up) also comes to mind. Matter of fact, that whole Ox/Orn/Omnivore Trilogy was based on the same...SF is my escape vehicle

Father Theresa

Bang-la-desh

#13 Nov 12, 2009
weaselovercome wrote:
There was a great deal of concern in the scientific community prior to the first nuclear detonation in 1945. The idea was that it would cause an irreversible chain reaction that could destroy the earth (shades of the Doomsday Machine in Dr. Strangelove). Now that Pandora's nuclear box is open,my concern is that some nuclear yahoos, like India and Pakistan for example, would be going toe to toe with a nice 50 megaton exchange... After something like that would our quality of life suffer? Ya think?
I know I could never straighten out my credicard accts, troubleshoot my computer, or buy anything from a TV infomercial without them...

“Topix Gunslinger”

League City, TX

#14 Nov 12, 2009
RXRFL63 wrote:
I think it doesn't work because someone didn't plug it in. And if it does what it is suppose to do ,we should hear a large BIG BANG and we will be back in say 4.5 billion years, give or take a week or two.
It won't work because its being sabotaged from the future! ;-)
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,568528,00...
No Way

Pulaski, TN

#15 Nov 12, 2009
weaselovercome wrote:
The idea was that it would cause an irreversible chain reaction that could destroy the earth (shades of the Doomsday Machine in Dr. Strangelove). Now that Pandora's nuclear box is open,my concern is that some nuclear yahoos, like India and Pakistan for example, would be going toe to toe with a nice 50 megaton exchange...
A lot of them in a same geographic area would cause a chain reaction.

I don't know what the proximity statistics are on that. I think it is top secret.

It would explain though why so many interests put military things close to cities since both would be targets but one bomb couldn't do both but if two were used then...so apparently they know the proximity stats.
No Way

Pulaski, TN

#16 Nov 12, 2009
This collider thing is where all those creatures in Revelation are going to come from.
just an allusion

Clarksville, TN

#17 Nov 12, 2009
RXRFL63 wrote:
I think it doesn't work because someone didn't plug it in.
It initially didn't work due to structural defects in some of the components' construction that resulted in 'shorts' that, for one, spawned refrigerant leaks.

In other words it's operation was, essentially, the victim of sabotage.
RXRFL63 wrote:
And if it does what it is suppose to do ,we should hear a large BIG BANG and we will be back in say 4.5 billion years, give or take a week or two.
What it is "suppose to do" is help us establish the existence of a number of heretofore theoretical particles that will enable us to develop a more so complete/conclusive picture of our Universe, our World and ourselves, by validating a number of theories of our existence, essentially guesses of how we came to be and what regulates our interactions with the all that is around us.
just an allusion

Clarksville, TN

#18 Nov 12, 2009
Dr_Demento wrote:
<quoted text>
"Fow News", HA!! If I wanted tabloid press, I'd pick up an "Enquirer" or a "National Inquisitor" from the local gas station, grocery, or convenience store...I shouldn't have to be subjected to it on the television when I'm trying to get actual NEWS, not make believe.

“Yo ho and a bottle of rum...”

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#19 Nov 12, 2009
Dr_Demento wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep there can be only one god!
weaselovercome

West Springfield, MA

#20 Nov 12, 2009
No Way wrote:
This collider thing is where all those creatures in Revelation are going to come from.
I'm looking forward to it. I mean, after all, if they specialize in "Revels", everybody will party real well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

High Performance Computing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Prince Andrew opens new world-class research fa... Jun '17 Daisy 1
News The AI fight is escalating: This is the IT gian... May '17 Julzee111 1
News A Cloud for the Artificial Mind: This Data Cent... (Feb '17) Feb '17 thumper0755 1
News What is going on at the Washington Post? (Jan '17) Jan '17 a person who can ... 6
News Will Trump let China beat the U.S. in supercomp... (Nov '16) Nov '16 dkghjkgh 1
News China is undisputed king of supercomputers (Jun '16) Jun '16 sigmund fraud 1
News Supercomputer quietly puts U.S. weather forecas... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Zach 1
More from around the web