Downtown St. Paul residents' suit alleges skyway was grabbed

There are 1 comment on the TwinCities.com story from Nov 9, 2009, titled Downtown St. Paul residents' suit alleges skyway was grabbed. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A group of St. Paul residents has sued the city and the owners of Galtier Plaza, alleging they illegally granted Cray supercomputer company public space in the city's indoor sidewalk.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sida

Chesterfield, MO

#22 Nov 11, 2009
I'm not certain how much of the skyway ended up being taken towards the YMCA side of the building, but if you take a look at the middle section of atrium, space was clearly taken up which had previously been for use by pedestrians. You know, that whole section with inaccessible balconies? The amount of passable space in that section was basically vut by half.

Galtier does seem to get quite a bit of traffic by pedestrians with disabilities, and yes, it can get somewhat crowded there at peak times.

This isn't the first time Galtier has encroached upon this sort of space. There was a big controversy amongst the condo owners because Nan Hynes/Galtier Plaza attempted to use the entire hallway on the first floor as part of the new high school which opened up, and would cut off skyway access for all the condo owners and apartment dwellers. A lawsuit was brought forth, and while the residents still have access to the skyway, they must pass through a narrow opening in which a giant section juts out into the hallway inelegantly. The point is, the residents of Galtier had an EASEMENT on this.

Some decisions that have been made by Galtier as far as encroaching on other areas are downright foolish. For instance:

-People have a hard time finding their way into the building due to a BAR taking up what had been the main entrance from Mears Park! What were they thinking?
-The food court was dramatically cut into to provide space for a failed coffee shop that no one could get into due to (surprise surprise) the main entrance being cut off (to accomodate LoTo)!
-Once public areas on the third floor have been cut off.

Nan Hynes/NEA Galtier will continue to do this as long as they can get away with it! I have no issue with Cray coming in to Galtier, I have issue that this is space that was paid for by the public, is the same as a sidewalk, and keeps getting illegally chipped away at!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

High Performance Computing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Weather forecasting: Continental divide Feb '15 John 1
News IBM helps you donate computer power to fight Ebola Dec '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News NASA: stunning new look at how carbon dioxide t... Nov '14 SpaceBlues 30
News Four Ways Supercomputing Is Changing Lives: Fro... Nov '14 Andarz Abedini 2
News The new supercomputer will help to predict floods (Oct '14) Oct '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News Once the FBI has a backdoor into your smartphon... (Oct '14) Oct '14 ThinkAboutItMan 3
News 6 ways to repurpose a retired PC (Feb '14) Sep '14 Sheri23 2
More from around the web