Converting waste heat into electricity? Mismatched alloys are a good match for thermoelectrics

There are 9 comments on the Science Daily story from Jan 31, 2010, titled Converting waste heat into electricity? Mismatched alloys are a good match for thermoelectrics. In it, Science Daily reports that:

Thermoelectrics hold enormous potential for green energy production because of their ability to convert heat into electricity.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Science Daily.

cosmo longhorn

UK

#1 Feb 21, 2010
heat from the bowels of the earth, lets stop asrse'ing about and get on with it, then we can also produce electricity from this heat so we fill our hot water bottles in the non existant global warming scenario we find ourselves amongst the bufoonary of the modern day scientist ta tist ta tist!
cosmo longhorn

UK

#2 Feb 21, 2010
mis-matched alloys example npn and pnp aloys can have a reverse or forward current appllied and will refrigerate or provde heat!
cosmo longhorn

UK

#3 Feb 21, 2010
temperature difference creates an electric potential or an electric potential creates a temperature difference. In modern technical usage, the term almost always refers collectively to the Seebeck effect, Peltier effect, and the Thomson effect. Analyzing the word thermoelectricity by its etymological components, it might be taken to refer generically to all heat engines that are used to generate electricity and all electrically powered heating devices, for which there is an almost arbitrary number of conceivable techniques, but in practice such a broad use of the term is seldom encountered.
In recent years, thermoelectricity sees rapidly increasing usages in applications like portable refrigerators, beverage coolers, electronic component coolers, metal alloy sorting devices etc. One of the most commonly used material in such application is Bismuth telluride (Bi2Te3), a chemical compound of bismuth and tellurium
cosmo longhorn

UK

#4 Feb 21, 2010
paint matt black rough surface ie. throw on sand! and paint over again!
apply the matt black paint on copper or plastic tanks on roofs in hot contries! this will heat water and kill the germs in the water, and can use hot water produced for heating at night;can paint under the tanks shinney surface to reflect sunlight onto the matt black rough surface tank:
TOPMOST

United States

#5 Feb 21, 2010
cosmo longhorn wrote:
temperature difference creates an electric potential or an electric potential creates a temperature difference. In modern technical usage, the term almost always refers collectively to the Seebeck effect, Peltier effect, and the Thomson effect. Analyzing the word thermoelectricity by its etymological components, it might be taken to refer generically to all heat engines that are used to generate electricity and all electrically powered heating devices, for which there is an almost arbitrary number of conceivable techniques, but in practice such a broad use of the term is seldom encountered.
In recent years, thermoelectricity sees rapidly increasing usages in applications like portable refrigerators, beverage coolers, electronic component coolers, metal alloy sorting devices etc. One of the most commonly used material in such application is Bismuth telluride (Bi2Te3), a chemical compound of bismuth and tellurium
One way of providing electricity, is by flowing water. The weight of water can turn a shaft through many different mechanisms. One way of providing this water in a renewable fashion is through siphons. Siphons can bring water for this use from large ponds or lakes or even rivers.
TOPMOST

United States

#6 Feb 21, 2010
cosmo longhorn wrote:
paint matt black rough surface ie. throw on sand! and paint over again!
apply the matt black paint on copper or plastic tanks on roofs in hot contries! this will heat water and kill the germs in the water, and can use hot water produced for heating at night;can paint under the tanks shinney surface to reflect sunlight onto the matt black rough surface tank:
A solar heating source can be arranged in a water line loop, and when the water is heated it will raise to the top of an insulated tank and cause the cooler water in this tank to fall back to the heating source. This process is called thermosiphon. The heat will cause a circulation effect. In this efficient arrangement the heating source must be below the tank.
cosmo longhorn

UK

#7 Feb 21, 2010
TOPMOST wrote:
<quoted text>One way of providing electricity, is by flowing water. The weight of water can turn a shaft through many different mechanisms. One way of providing this water in a renewable fashion is through siphons. Siphons can bring water for this use from large ponds or lakes or even rivers.
yer correct! my advise to everyone is ;-
No Problem! Monkey Socks .Your best bet, is to follow your Rubber ducky, and go right past the Christmas tree.
Then yer wanna Follow your saxophone until you reach the policeman’s Y-Fronts
and then bob's your teapot and aunty is yer rusty haggis !
Alright my little ice-cream cone; ………….. Love cosmo;
TOPMOST

United States

#8 Feb 21, 2010
cosmo longhorn wrote:
<quoted text> yer correct! my advise to everyone is ;-
No Problem! Monkey Socks .Your best bet, is to follow your Rubber ducky, and go right past the Christmas tree.
Then yer wanna Follow your saxophone until you reach the policeman’s Y-Fronts
and then bob's your teapot and aunty is yer rusty haggis !
Alright my little ice-cream cone; ………….. Love cosmo;
. Now thats crazy don't you know what happened to Bill Clinton when he stopped playing his saxophone and went to playing his whoremonica.====Peace Topmost;
cosmo

UK

#9 Feb 21, 2010
TOPMOST wrote:
<quoted text>. Now thats crazy don't you know what happened to Bill Clinton when he stopped playing his saxophone and went to playing his whoremonica.====Peace Topmost;
your right you've got me worried now, about myself; i don't want my wife getting a better job than me; love cosmo;

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

High Performance Computing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Weather forecasting: Continental divide Feb '15 John 1
News IBM helps you donate computer power to fight Ebola Dec '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News NASA: stunning new look at how carbon dioxide t... Nov '14 SpaceBlues 30
News Four Ways Supercomputing Is Changing Lives: Fro... Nov '14 Andarz Abedini 2
News The new supercomputer will help to predict floods (Oct '14) Oct '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News Once the FBI has a backdoor into your smartphon... (Oct '14) Oct '14 ThinkAboutItMan 3
News 6 ways to repurpose a retired PC (Feb '14) Sep '14 Sheri23 2
More from around the web