Using GPS on cell phone to track a weather balloon to 90,000 feet.

Posted in the GPS Forum

Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Feb 7, 2013
Cody Morris

Plano, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2010

On September 5th, I launched a weather balloon with a payload containing a GPS unit and a Canon digital camera. My mission: capture the curvature of our earth on camera. GPS technology was to be handled by a Boost Mobile Motorola i290 cell phone, loaded with software to track it online. When the GPS unit failed, the project was considered as good as lost... until 16 days later, when a farmer working his field found it in North Texas! My contact information taped on the package allowed for him to call me and let me retrieve my "goods"! The results were amazing, producing pictures in our Stratosphere at an altitude of almost 90,000 feet.

You can read more about it at www.aerialparade.com . The Pilot Point Post Signal recently did an article on the launch as well ( www.postsignal.com )(digital download).

Just wanted to share my story, as I find it amazing and truly breathe taking when you see what I accomplished with such a small budget.

Thanks,

Cody Morris
The caption

Mound, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

How did the phone faill was it just the battreys or was it that it lost signal
Frank Stanton

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

yeah. how do u maintain a signal at that altitude ???
Cody Morris

Plano, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2011

The phone's SIM card failed, and I lost connection to it through the software that was suppose to report GPS coordinates when it was in range.

Signal is usually lost under 30k since no phones will work usually above that elevation.
mark O

Haverhill, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Funny, I've recently "thought" of doing this very thing recently with an old phone. Wondering if it's even possible here in New England, or will this dog land in the Atlantic?

I'd like to talk to you about it if you've ever got the time.

mark.ohara@verizon.net

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••