There are no greenhouse gases

There are no greenhouse gases

There are 987 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Jul 7, 2009, titled There are no greenhouse gases. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

They are on their way. The House just passed the Obama energy bill, which is passed on the false idea that greenhouse gases are the cause of global warming.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 50
Next Last
idiotish

Medway, MA

#1 Jul 7, 2009
Mr. Turner, I think I'll believe the EPA, the DOE, NASA, FERC, and all of the national laboratories, who all disagree with your opinion.

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

#2 Jul 7, 2009
idiotish wrote:
Mr. Turner, I think I'll believe the EPA, the DOE, NASA, FERC, and all of the national laboratories, who all disagree with your opinion.
You forgot Al Gore and other politicians who promise to lower the temperature of the planet earth with your tax money.
You forgot the NOAA that now shows over 10 years of North American cooling.
Emergency called off. Everyone be happy now and be glad this doomsday prediction was wrong.
Yippee!
my my

North Billerica, MA

#3 Jul 7, 2009
Looks like no one with a scientific background at the Lowell Sun checked this one out before allowing this nonsense to be published.
" Life is energy" ?????
" physical scientists" ???
" temperature on cloudy days is lower than on bright sunny days" ????

Water vapor is 97% of the atmosphere but does not retain heat- no problem. The other 3% consists of: carbon dioxide, methane,nitrous oxide and a variety of fluorinated gases from a variety of industial processes- big problem. They all have one thing in common - fossil fuels.

All " greenhouse gases" trap heat in the atmosphere. scientif fact that can be easily proven in a laboratory. Not water vapor.
Every reputable scientist in the WORLD has acknowledged greenhouses gases and their affect on the atosphere . Even the last pro-oil administration if you can call then that, were forced to acknowleg the scientific evidence lest they be laughed out of the room, but did not agree that it would have an imminent efect

This is crazy.

Im going to write an article about the world being flat because when I go to Australia I am not upside down, and see if the Lowell Sun will print that.

“6 of one, 0110 of the other.”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#4 Jul 7, 2009
And "heat" is a myth, and thermodynamics is sacrilege, and the bible don't say nothin about 'lectricity
frank miller

United States

#5 Jul 7, 2009
Of course there are 'no green house gases'!! All
atmospheric molecules vibrate:~79% inert nitro-
gen {N2}; 20 % active oxygen {O2}; 0.98% inert argon gas {Ar}; 0.10% to 2.8% water vapor {H2O};
0.03% to 0.04 % carbon dioxide {CO2} to near, and far Infrared heat!! The fact that air is such a low conductor of heat, and Solar flux is constant,
is why it takes a while for the 90% reradiated
surface heat to dissipate into vacuum out of space, whence there are no air molecules to vibrate, and the temperature there is -150F!!

We are taking carbon from beneath the Earth, and
consuming the available 20% oxygen, to form CO2!
F.M.

“The Truth Will Set You Free”

Since: Jun 07

Gainesville, FL

#7 Jul 7, 2009
my my wrote:
Looks like no one with a scientific background at the Lowell Sun checked this one out before allowing this nonsense to be published.
" Life is energy" ?????
" physical scientists" ???
" temperature on cloudy days is lower than on bright sunny days" ????
Water vapor is 97% of the atmosphere but does not retain heat- no problem. The other 3% consists of: carbon dioxide, methane,nitrous oxide and a variety of fluorinated gases from a variety of industial processes- big problem. They all have one thing in common - fossil fuels.
All " greenhouse gases" trap heat in the atmosphere. scientif fact that can be easily proven in a laboratory. Not water vapor.
Every reputable scientist in the WORLD has acknowledged greenhouses gases and their affect on the atosphere . Even the last pro-oil administration if you can call then that, were forced to acknowleg the scientific evidence lest they be laughed out of the room, but did not agree that it would have an imminent efect
This is crazy.
Im going to write an article about the world being flat because when I go to Australia I am not upside down, and see if the Lowell Sun will print that.
I do believe you need to go back to school. Water vapor makes up about 97% of all GREENHOUSE GASES - NOT 97% of the atmosphere. It is only about 4% of the atmospheric gases.

Water vapor is a much more potent greenhouse gas than CO2 and causes the majority of any greenhouse gas warming in the atmosphere - NOT CO2.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#8 Jul 7, 2009
The Truth Matters wrote:
<quoted text>
I do believe you need to go back to school. Water vapor makes up about 97% of all GREENHOUSE GASES - NOT 97% of the atmosphere. It is only about 4% of the atmospheric gases.
Water vapor is a much more potent greenhouse gas than CO2 and causes the majority of any greenhouse gas warming in the atmosphere - NOT CO2.
What the science says...

Water vapour is indeed the most dominant greenhouse gas. The radiative forcing for water is around 75 W/m2 while carbon dioxide contributes 32 W/m2 (Kiehl 1997). Water vapour is also the dominant positive feedback in our climate system and a major reason why temperature is so sensitive to changes in CO2.

Unlike external forcings such as CO2 which can be added to the atmosphere, the level of water vapour in the atmosphere is a function of temperature. Water vapour is brought into the atmosphere via evaporation - the rate depends on the ocean and air temperature and is governed by the Clausius-Clapeyron relation.

If extra water is added to the atmosphere, it condenses and falls as rain or snow within a week or two. Similarly, if somehow moisture was sucked out of the atmosphere, evaporation would restore water vapour levels to 'normal levels' in short time.
Water Vapour as a positive feedback

As water vapour is directly related to temperature, it's also a positive feedback - in fact, the largest positive feedback in the climate system (Soden 2005). As temperature rises, evaporation increases and more water vapour accumulates in the atmosphere. As a greenhouse gas, the water absorbs more heat, further warming the air and causing more evaporation.

How does water vapour fit in with CO2 emissions? When CO2 is added to the atmosphere, as a greenhouse gas it has a warming effect. This causes more water to evaporate and warm the air more to a higher (more or less) stabilized level. So CO2 warming has an amplified effect, beyond a purely CO2 effect.

How much does water vapour amplify CO2 warming? Without any feedbacks, a doubling of CO2 would warm the globe around 1C. Taken on its own, water vapour feedback roughly doubles the amount of CO2 warming. When other feedbacks are included (eg - loss of albedo due to melting ice), the total warming from a doubling of CO2 is around 3C (Held 2000).
http://www.skepticalscience.com/water-vapor-g...

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

#9 Jul 7, 2009
Gees! What does it matter anyways? You may as well be debating what particular type of firewood is best for burning witches!
Global Warming is GloBULL Warning and since there isn't any "noticeable" climate crisis, 23 years after predicting one, the theory is on the pile with UFO's, Bigfoot and Carl Sagon predicting a nuclear winter from the first Gulf War oil fires.
History will view this along side the neocons' WMD scam, so get ahead of the curve.
CNN NEWS:
Global Warmers take summer off, too cold.
Film@11

“The Truth Will Set You Free”

Since: Jun 07

Gainesville, FL

#10 Jul 7, 2009
Fair Game wrote:
Your website has old information. It seems that the role of water vapor is totally different than you claim - including water vapor feedback in clouds. It seems that it is the opposite of modelers assumptions - especially in the tropics where temperatures are warmest.

Meanwhile, water vapor in the upper atmosphere is increasing and it does NOT precipitate out. This seems to be where most of the current ozone loss is coming from [and increasing atmospheric warmth]- increased water vapor in the stratosphere [noctilucent clouds are increasing]. Most of this comes from volcanic injections, major storm clouds, and the action of atmospheric gravity waves.

Get a grip and learn the latest science instead of repeating the tired, debunked old AGW junk science.

“The world as I know it”

Since: Dec 06

Sydney

#11 Jul 8, 2009
Fair Game wrote:
the green turkey troll cant think for himself

tell us turkey is it cooler when the cloud goes in front of the sun?

"the green troll"

#12 Jul 8, 2009
The Truth Matters wrote:
<quoted text>
Your website has old information. It seems that the role of water vapor is totally different than you claim - including water vapor feedback in clouds. It seems that it is the opposite of modelers assumptions - especially in the tropics where temperatures are warmest.
Source?
The Truth Matters wrote:
Meanwhile, water vapor in the upper atmosphere is increasing and it does NOT precipitate out. This seems to be where most of the current ozone loss is coming from [and increasing atmospheric warmth]- increased water vapor in the stratosphere [noctilucent clouds are increasing]. Most of this comes from volcanic injections, major storm clouds, and the action of atmospheric gravity waves.
Get a grip and learn the latest science instead of repeating the tired, debunked old AGW junk science.
Atmospheric gravity waves, huh?

"the green troll"

#13 Jul 8, 2009
theworldasweknowit wrote:
<quoted text>
the green turkey troll cant think for himself
tell us turkey is it cooler when the cloud goes in front of the sun?
Objection: Clouds are a large negative feedback that will stop any drastic warming. The climate models don't even take cloud effects into account.

Answer: All of the atmospheric global climate models used for the kind of climate projections synthesized by the IPCC take the effects of clouds into account. You can read a discussion about cloud processes and feedbacks in the IPCC TAR.

It is true, however, that clouds are one of the largest sources of uncertainty in the GCMs. They are complicated to model because they have both positive feedbacks, preventing surface heat from escaping back into space, and negative feedbacks, reflecting incoming sunlight before it can reach the surface. The precise balance of these opposing effects depends on time of day, time of year, altitude, size of the water droplets and/or ice particles, latitude, current air temperature, and size and shape.

On top of that, different types of clouds will interact, amplifying or mitigating one another's effects as they coexist in different layers of the atmosphere. There are also latent heat considerations -- water vapor condenses during cloud formation and precipitation events, and water droplets evaporate when clouds dissipate.

The ultimate contribution of clouds to global temperature trends is highly uncertain, but according to the best estimates is likely to be positive over the coming century. There is no indication anywhere that any kind of cloud processes will stop greenhouse-gas-driven warming, and this includes observations of the past as well as modeling experiments.
http://www.grist.org/article/models-dont-take...
Gord

Calgary, Canada

#14 Jul 8, 2009
Fair Game wrote:
Gee, don't you know that when a cloud passes between the Earth and the Sun the Earth gets COOLER?

Any Child can tell you this!

The SUN is the ONLY energy source.
Clouds COOL the EARTH!....it's IMPOSSIBLE for them to HEAT the Earth because they are COLDER than the Earth.

Read the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.

"Second Law of Thermodynamics: It is not possible for heat to flow from a colder body to a warmer body without any work having been done to accomplish this flow. Energy will not flow spontaneously from a low temperature object to a higher temperature object."

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/th...

“The world as I know it”

Sydney

#15 Jul 8, 2009
Fair Game wrote:
AND IF YOU ARE TOLD TO JUNP OFF A CLIFF BECAUSE THE GREEN CORPORATES TELL YOU YOU CAN WALK ON AIR WOULD YOU DO THAT TOO!

"the green troll"

#16 Jul 8, 2009
Gord wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, don't you know that when a cloud passes between the Earth and the Sun the Earth gets COOLER?
Any Child can tell you this!
The SUN is the ONLY energy source.
Clouds COOL the EARTH!....it's IMPOSSIBLE for them to HEAT the Earth because they are COLDER than the Earth.
Read the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.
"Second Law of Thermodynamics: It is not possible for heat to flow from a colder body to a warmer body without any work having been done to accomplish this flow. Energy will not flow spontaneously from a low temperature object to a higher temperature object."
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/th...
Don't get your climate science from children.

"Clouds COOL the EARTH!" huh?

Even a child could tell you that is not necessarily true:

A cloudy night is warmer than a cloudless night.
Gord

Calgary, Canada

#17 Jul 8, 2009
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
So are you saying that the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics is WRONG?
MattJ

San Jose, CA

#18 Jul 8, 2009
Gord wrote:
<quoted text>
So are you saying that the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics is WRONG?
No. Just that you do not understand it and do not know how to apply it.
Gord

Calgary, Canada

#19 Jul 8, 2009
MattJ wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Just that you do not understand it and do not know how to apply it.
Well, let's hear your "wisdumb" of how a COLDER cloud can HEAT a WARMER EARTH and not VIOLATE the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.

Please include Physics Links...I'm not interested in you CULT OPINION.
Chimney

UAE

#20 Jul 8, 2009
Gord wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, let's hear your "wisdumb" of how a COLDER cloud can HEAT a WARMER EARTH and not VIOLATE the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.
Please include Physics Links...I'm not interested in you CULT OPINION.
Do woollen blankets on a cold night create heat? No, they simply trap the heat radiating from your body.

Greenhouse gases act similarly. The sun's radiation from infrared to ultraviolet strikes the daytime side of the earth and is absorbed by the matter there, warming that matter up.

The same energy is re-radiated by that matter, but at lower infrared wavelengths in general. Greenhouse gases are those that are transparent to the higher original wavelengths, letting the energy in, but opaque to the wavelengths being re-emitted; the energy is therefore reabsorbed by those gases heating them up. So, energy at higher wavelengths passes to the earth's surface easily, but when re-radiated from warmed matter is emitted at lower wavelengths and is trapped by greenhouse gases.

So, to answer your point - that is how a cloud can make the earth warmer at night. Not by "creating" heat, but by preventing the heat already there from escaping.

“The world as I know it”

Sydney

#21 Jul 8, 2009
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
not necessarily

but we were talking about the day when half the earth is facing the sun - do you understand that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 50
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Bill Dunning 85,772
News Global warming roars on: Past four years have b... 11 hr hojo 7
News Uber hires chief diversity officer, the third b... 14 hr The Waco Kid 1
News Space Radiation Hinders NASAa s Mars Ambitions (Sep '09) Mon FART DRINK 8
News First Las Cruces Space Festival planned in April Jan 21 SAM 2
News Wortham: Unicorns are alive, well and working t... (Oct '09) Jan 21 ROAD FART 2
News Inside Clear Lake: (Aug '09) Jan 21 FART NATION 2
More from around the web