Is Time An Illusion?

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#5140 Jul 24, 2014
Pokay wrote:
Another brain storm. I know, I have nothing for months and then I lay it all down in one morning. That's me.
"Google" does not know everything. You won't find anything regarding the aromaticity of complexes containing oxazine rings.
And you won't find the right answer as to why softened water feels slippery/slimy as if the soap is not washing off completely and/or it takes a lot of extra time to rinse the soap off. I have softened well water. I noticed some things.
They say the slippery feeling is just your natural body oils you're feeling. Well I disagree. Yes, if your hands are oily to start with then it will take much longer for the "squeaky clean" feeling to occur, or, conversely, if you have been making hamburger with vinegar on your hands then you will get the squeaky clean feeling right off the bat real quickly.
Here's the thing. Say you wash your hands and it takes a long time to get to the squeaky clean feeling. OK, the "natural oils" should be all gone right? So that if you go right back and wash them again, they should reach the squeaky state much much sooner, but they don't. It's the same thing over again.
Also, when washing palms together it's much different than washing other body parts; palms take longer to get squeaky.
Personally, I think it is a surface phenomenon and I think it does involve soap and not body oils. I think that it involves a very very very thin layer of soap, but soap nontheless.
If you keep one hand away from the dishsoap, using the other to wash with, you'll see that once you rinse the soap off the plate the kept hand will be squeaky against the plate and the other will not (after rinsing the hand equally as much as the plate).
So, obviously the soap is rinsing off the plate in short order but not off the hands. It has to be the soap.
I was told by a conscious force in my dreams that the world would end if that problem was not solved immediately. Don't thank me, it was my duty to save the world, how could I live with myself if I had ignored the voice?
:)
This explanation sounds interesting.

About - Why Is It Harder to Rinse off Soap with Soft Water?: http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingsworkfa...

I always thought Soft Water caused *better* rinsing. Apparently not so in the case of soap.

“Truth is beyond wavelength ”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#5141 Jul 24, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
The voice answers back: puberty briings bo, etc.
pH is the factor in cleanliness etc.
Maybe in cleanliness, but I don't buy into that whole alkaline diet thing. I mean veggies are great and they just so happen to be alkaline, but nothing leaves the stomach in alkaline form anyway so what's the big deal? How could any alkaline condition survive the stomach?

Location hidden

#5142 Jul 24, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
This explanation sounds interesting.
About - Why Is It Harder to Rinse off Soap with Soft Water?: http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingsworkfa...
I always thought Soft Water caused *better* rinsing. Apparently not so in the case of soap.
OK, I guess you *can* find the answer to the soft water and slippery feeling thing on the internet. It just seems like most people think it's the oils on the skin. Yea, I believe what they say in that article; though there is one little weird thing they said. They said that soft water dissolves more soap so it takes more water to rinse it off. But there's only so much that can be clinging to the skin and if it dissolves more soap then it should rinse off faster as well. I used to think it was the sodium ions causing the slippery feeling but I think it's just a surface phenomenon with the soap.

But there's no way you can find anything on the aromatic character of complexes containing oxazine rings :)
I dare you to find it :)

Lapeer, MI

#5143 Jul 24, 2014
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>OK, I guess you *can* find the answer to the soft water and slippery feeling thing on the internet. It just seems like most people think it's the oils on the skin. Yea, I believe what they say in that article; though there is one little weird thing they said. They said that soft water dissolves more soap so it takes more water to rinse it off. But there's only so much that can be clinging to the skin and if it dissolves more soap then it should rinse off faster as well. I used to think it was the sodium ions causing the slippery feeling but I think it's just a surface phenomenon with the soap.
But there's no way you can find anything on the aromatic character of complexes containing oxazine rings :)
I dare you to find it :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aromaticity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxazine

Location hidden

#5144 Jul 24, 2014
An example of an oxazine-containing complex is litmus; it's overall called an oxazone because it contains an ozazine and a ketone. Heck I guess it wouldn;t surprise me if it's on the net.

Isn't there anything that you can't google? Anything? There has to be.

Location hidden

#5145 Jul 24, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
I think it rinses soap off the dishes just fine, just not off your skin, particularly your hands.

Location hidden

#5147 Jul 24, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
Nice try, now put them together. Good luck. I need to see someone talking about the aromatioc character of an oxazine containing complex like litmus. It might not be on the net, but who knows, maybe some yoho grad student somewhere did some research on just that.
SoE

Sioux Falls, SD

#5148 Jul 24, 2014
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>Please, don't stop there; I'd love to hear about it, that is, if you feel like expanding.
You're doing chemistry these days? They have all kinds of high temp sealers; you trying to make one that doesn't crumble? Something to patent or for personal use? Don'e feel obligated to expound, I just can't help asking.
No chemistry...but fear not since I'm not the worlds second most knowledgeable chemist
I'd at least have the consideration to warn everyone first if I should start :-)
The wife managed to drive over an elevated corner of a curb and strip the entire exhaust system from her little car...Boy, what ever happened to simple 3 pc systems.....
Often now and in the past I could have used something like silicone form-a-gasket good to about 800 deg F ....something with not a lot of adhesive quality to save pounding the parts apart....

Lapeer, MI

#5149 Jul 25, 2014
Pokay wrote:
An example of an oxazine-containing complex is litmus; it's overall called an oxazone because it contains an ozazine and a ketone. Heck I guess it wouldn;t surprise me if it's on the net.
Isn't there anything that you can't google? Anything? There has to be.
Try looking up what political party is supported by Google.
SoE

Sioux Falls, SD

#5150 Aug 1, 2014
It's hard to tell. It seems the politicos attend every party supported by anyone...
party...party...party !

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#5151 Aug 4, 2014
Pokay wrote:
Biocentrism (Dr Robert Lanza). I think this is what Roger Penrose was postulating (microtubule residing quantum consciousness).
Those that are convinced that consciousness is emergent of matter (and not the other way around) will believe that Penrose and Lanza are full of it and that there is no way they could be right, even going as far as to say the whole speculation has been debunked.
I say if ya can't find what gives rise to consciousness in the first place then ya can't debunk that speculation either.
I'm convinced that consciousness will in some form or in some part continue indefinitely. I really like the first law, ya just can't create or destroy things, so it makes sense that consciousness could have always been in existence.
To me it makes zero sense that allegedly unconscious molecules, whatever they really are, became aware of themselves. As soon as evolving blobs of molecules became the slightest bit conscious, infinitesimally conscious, they were conscious. Something is either conscious or not; there are degrees of it but nothing in between. Part-conscious is still conscious.
Is your phi large?

http://www.livescience.com/47096-theories-see...

We'll never know if you keep eating room temp turkey.

Usually the nose knows, though Jews allow for longer than two hours, but frown on mixing cheese and meat in the same meal. I've heard fire will kill any food borne pathogen. Torch it next time.

Location hidden

#5153 Aug 5, 2014
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
No chemistry...but fear not since I'm not the worlds second most knowledgeable chemist
I'd at least have the consideration to warn everyone first if I should start :-)
The wife managed to drive over an elevated corner of a curb and strip the entire exhaust system from her little car...Boy, what ever happened to simple 3 pc systems.....
Often now and in the past I could have used something like silicone form-a-gasket good to about 800 deg F ....something with not a lot of adhesive quality to save pounding the parts apart....
Ouch!
Yea, it's hard to beat rust. The RTV silicone would make it hard to pull back apart. Good luck with the silicate but my first impression would be that it would crack up on you, but I'm not the most knowledgeable chemist; maybe you can locate Frank Miller somewhere in the global warming forum :)
Maybe you can mix RTV and silicate?
On my truck I use copper gaskets with no sealer but they might be hard to find for a newer car. Most people don't like copper gaskets but I've always had good luck with them.

Just hope you don't have to pull it apart again, or just let the muffler shop do it...
I know it's hard to pay for stuff you;re used to doing yourself. I'm the same way.

Location hidden

#5154 Aug 5, 2014
SoE wrote:
It's hard to tell. It seems the politicos attend every party supported by anyone...
party...party...party !
"I see it your way, and I'm doing everything I can to party until I drop, errr, I mean, I'm doing everything I can to influence my party to take action for your cause.... "

Location hidden

#5155 Aug 5, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Try looking up what political party is supported by Google.
I guess it's not mandatory for a corp to disclose it's /donations/contributions. But it seems Google is leaning right lately and has deep pockets. Hey, you asked me to try googling it, so I did :)

Location hidden

#5156 Aug 5, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Is your phi large?
We'll never know if you keep eating room temp turkey.
Usually the nose knows, though Jews allow for longer than two hours, but frown on mixing cheese and meat in the same meal. I've heard fire will kill any food borne pathogen. Torch it next time.
Hopefully there won't be a 'next time'. I've heard the same; boiling won't kill all the pathogens but frying on oil with high heat should.

I see nothing wrong with meat and cheese; both are of protein and fat. But hey, different strokes...

I'm trying lately to separate my starches and my proteins at least a little when possible but it can't be THAT bad to eat meat and potatoes at the same time, I mean, "spaghetti" is as old as any recipe; talk about starch and protein. Long ago, people probably used to be MORE intuitive about how foods affect them.

Potato chips themselves have 2 or 3 grams of protein out of a 28 grams serving. How do I separate that?{envisioning chips in pyrex in the middle of extensive chemistry lab apparatus]

Lapeer, MI

#5157 Aug 5, 2014
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>I guess it's not mandatory for a corp to disclose it's /donations/contributions. But it seems Google is leaning right lately and has deep pockets. Hey, you asked me to try googling it, so I did :)
You Googled Google and Binged Bing?

I looked it up.

Maybe I should've looked it down.

Location hidden

#5158 Aug 5, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Is your phi large?
The answer is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe after a glass of wine we can better 'behold'?

If I didn't have to limit my alcohol to like a couple drinks once a week or even two, I would have wine regularly I think. Who needs Perignon when there's Apothic Red, Nineteen Crimes, and 'Pomegranate wine from Armenia'?

Consciousness is very much still a mystery. That article seems to support that, except in the title where it says we might be "closing in" on it. It said there were two contenders for a possible theory but they sounded more like two facets that we can break consciousness down into. Certainly if we could ever FULLY understand how things are integrated and turned into a subjective experience, then we could understand consciousness. But just like existence itself, how can we ever know when/if we fully understand it? Hopefully once we know we will just know that we know. No explanation necessary?

Location hidden

#5159 Aug 5, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
You Googled Google and Binged Bing?
I looked it up.
Maybe I should've looked it down.
It's ok, just keep your chin up. Looking down (at a woman's behind) could get you in trouble. Remember, it wasn't too long ago I got two black eyes from feeling my way through the grocery store? I wasn't blind but she didn't know that :)

Cruel world.

Lapeer, MI

#5160 Aug 6, 2014
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>It's ok, just keep your chin up. Looking down (at a woman's behind) could get you in trouble. Remember, it wasn't too long ago I got two black eyes from feeling my way through the grocery store? I wasn't blind but she didn't know that :)
Cruel world.
My mother taught me to squeeze the melons first......

Since: Mar 14

Lawnton, Australia

#5161 Aug 6, 2014
Time is as long as we can remember or suppose. Painting on cave walls. As long as we can imagine, this race upon this globe encapsulate. Stu

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hacked emails show Democratic party hostility t... 6 min Go Blue Forever 155
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 19 min Joncy David 40,526
News Junk food-loving fathers raise their future dau... 7 hr Here is what I 2
Consumer Electronics Will Dominate the Biometri... 8 hr iritechinc 1
The bearing 9 hr Andybaby 1
News If there's alien life in the universe, where is... (Jul '15) 9 hr North Mountain 155
Wearing diapers makes people incotinent BEWARE (Dec '10) 18 hr Brenda 22
More from around the web