Is Time An Illusion?

“Truth is beyond wavelength ”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#4063 Sep 29, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>He reminds me of a dull witted jock I met at school; "presidential" material, in his own mind.
Yea, just because he's thinking doesn't mean he's smart.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#4064 Sep 29, 2013
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>Yea, just because he's thinking doesn't mean he's smart.
Brains are overrated. xD

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#4065 Sep 30, 2013
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe there is a such thing as a physical reality that is distinct from a non-physical reality. I believe there is only one true reality. So whatever we wanna call this reality, be it "physical" or something other, an illusion is still made up of the same fundamental components that make up things that don't seem like illusions. I do believe that what we experience is mostly illusion, meaning that it is not a "first order reality", meaning that our senses, in our current state of "being", are not able to sense the true nature of it all.
Perhaps the title of this thread should have been something more like, "Is Time Real or is it a human invention?
What would a "first order reality" encompass? How would you define it?

Even if our senses are not able to sense the true nature of it all, our minds can supersede our senses - which they already do in many ways.

We are not our brains but what data our brains contain, what data we feed it and what we do with that data.

This is analogously true of a computer - the computer is not defined by what programs run on it or even what data flows through it but by what it is capable of dong with those programs and with that data....and who in the hell is in charge of that computer:)

Lapeer, MI

#4066 Sep 30, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Brains are overrated. xD
Self is the axle of a really big wheel.

Since: Apr 11

Panorama City, CA

#4067 Sep 30, 2013
It was at one time

Lapeer, MI

#4068 Sep 30, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
It was at one time
So what are you? A spare tire?
SoE

Sioux Falls, SD

#4069 Oct 1, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
Brains are just brains...but, a good cigar is a smoke :-)
SoE

Sioux Falls, SD

#4070 Oct 1, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you know that Lot's Wife was a pillar of the community?
Even after the Arab salt traders passed by ?
SoE

Sioux Falls, SD

#4071 Oct 1, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Time is money and I'm poor right about now:)
If time is money then for me it would be an illusion...
SoE

Sioux Falls, SD

#4072 Oct 1, 2013
So, Pokay...how has your work season come out ?
It would seem, that with all the bad wx, a tree surgeon might have been a good field this summer?

Location hidden

#4073 Oct 1, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
No difference.
My point was that people confuse Matter with Mass all the time. Even college professors.
So E = MC^2 deals with Mass and not Matter per se.
Plus, the definition of Matter has been blurred so much today it has become irrelevant. Defining Matter is somewhat like defining what a house is - Maybe wood, steel, ceramic, maybe brick-maybe not, maybe concrete-maybe not, copper, plastic, glass, widely various petrochemicals, gypsum, paper, latex.....and all in an infinite variety of configurations....so, what specifically is a house?
Every element in the Periodic Table is comprised of differing arrangements of subatomic particles which can be defined as being either waves, points of mass, locations of force, mediating force, Strings or all of the above. Many elements are arranged in multiple versions - exceptions to the definitions - called Isotopes and why do elements fail to stay whole after something like the 104th?
The Higgs Boson and the Higgs Field supposedly supply the Mass characteristics to all pieces of "Matter" inside of the cosmos.
It comes down to this: Matter is fast becoming an archaic definition inside of reality. "Fields" are most appropriate instead. Where Fields interact, we find points of Mass exhibiting different characteristics....which leads to a Periodic Table....
I don't know what it's like in a typical college classroom these days but hopefully they loosened up their definitions since I've been there. Even in science people tend to think they know exactly what they're talking about. When I started college I was kinda under the impression that about everything was already figured out, and whatever wasn't would be possible for me to figure out, given the education I had coming. Where in the world did I ever get that idea?

Location hidden

#4074 Oct 1, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
For the person approaching lightspeed, Time remains constant. Their watch continues to tick off 24 hours in 24 hours. It is only to those outside observers viewing that person that Time slows down, relatively speaking.
This is called Time Dilation where the "rate of temporal change" separates into different regions or "frames" - one for the Lightspeed traveler and one for those NOT at Lightspeed.
The captain has turned off the photon-belt sign; you are free to move about the cabin now that we are cruising at 180,000 miles per second, just under light speed. I guess the photon belts don't work anymore once we hit warp speed? "Star Trek" is a ways off yet.

Location hidden

#4075 Oct 1, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
I just got scheduled to get mine removed. They offered incremental lobotomy. Not sure which is better suited for me

Location hidden

#4076 Oct 1, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
What would a "first order reality" encompass? How would you define it?
Even if our senses are not able to sense the true nature of it all, our minds can supersede our senses - which they already do in many ways.
We are not our brains but what data our brains contain, what data we feed it and what we do with that data.
This is analogously true of a computer - the computer is not defined by what programs run on it or even what data flows through it but by what it is capable of dong with those programs and with that data....and who in the hell is in charge of that computer:)
Well first we would have to know we are experiencing a "first order" reality. Maybe I would define it by saying that once we know all or 'just about all' there is to know, we will be experiencing a first order reality.

"Even if our senses are not able to sense the true nature of it all, our minds can supersede our senses - which they already do in many ways."

True, but until we actually sense "it" with our biological senses, either directly or through any instruments/tools, any concept or conclusion in our minds cannot be validated/verified.

Yea, who *is* in charge anyway?

Location hidden

#4077 Oct 1, 2013
SoE wrote:
So, Pokay...how has your work season come out ?
It would seem, that with all the bad wx, a tree surgeon might have been a good field this summer?
Hey, well, it's been kind of a weird year. Maybe it's because I don't advertise that I go through big swings of being 'busy' vs 'not busy'. But with the increasing pain level in my knees and elbows I don't mind. I get by. Still not sure what to do with the rest of my life. If I don't find something physically easier then I might be moving farther out into the country and raising rabbits and chickens and a garden. Then again, with some knee replacements, and some prescription methotrexate or something like that, I might be able to continue doing this longer.

To answer your question more directly, I've been kinda slow till mid-August then it's been nonstop since. Strangely enough most of my work is just routine rather than from storms. But storms do tend to boost the inflow. People also tend to wait till the ground dries up if they *can* wait. The weather's been pretty quiet for some time now but I bet that's due to change soon.

I'm going out today to drop the top (four 40ft stalks that branch off about 30 ft up) off of a large dead elm in the woods that sticks out over the canopy of smaller trees; the customer is sick of looking at it. What I wonder is why it took 5 years for him to get tired of looking at it? Trouble is, once the tree sits for a few years the bark falls off, and when that happens you know it's about too late to trust the tree to hold up while you are working on it.

By biggest fear is not falling out of a tree (knock on wood) but having a tree uproot while I'm on it. It's happened to other climbers I've come across, but I'm sure it's a fluke.

Location hidden

#4078 Oct 1, 2013
On one hand if you can till a garden you can operate a chainsaw?

But then again you only till once a year, not everyday.

Lapeer, MI

#4079 Oct 1, 2013
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
Even after the Arab salt traders passed by ?
As a child, she was Sugar & Spice and Everything Nice. Upon marriage, she become a Lot more. Then, as a pillar of the community, she became worth her weight in Salt.

And then the Arab Traders Peppered her with desert graffiti.

Lapeer, MI

#4080 Oct 1, 2013
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know what it's like in a typical college classroom these days but hopefully they loosened up their definitions since I've been there. Even in science people tend to think they know exactly what they're talking about. When I started college I was kinda under the impression that about everything was already figured out, and whatever wasn't would be possible for me to figure out, given the education I had coming. Where in the world did I ever get that idea?
You might have gotten that idea from Max Planck's University mentor Munich physics professor Philipp von Jolly who advised Planck against going into physics, saying, "in this field, almost everything is already discovered, and all that remains is to fill a few holes." Planck replied that he did not wish to discover new things, but only to understand the known fundamentals of the field, and so began his studies in 1874 at the University of Munich.

Max Karl Ernst Ludwig Planck, FRS(April 23, 1858 October 4, 1947) was a German theoretical physicist who originated quantum theory, which won him the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918.
Planck made many contributions to theoretical physics, but his fame rests primarily on his role as originator of the quantum theory.

From Wiki - Max Planck: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Planck

Perhaps Max suspected there was more than just a "first order reality", eh?

Lapeer, MI

#4081 Oct 1, 2013
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>The captain has turned off the photon-belt sign; you are free to move about the cabin now that we are cruising at 180,000 miles per second, just under light speed. I guess the photon belts don't work anymore once we hit warp speed? "Star Trek" is a ways off yet.
A photon-belt sounds like the slug of a futuristic drink that really lights you up:)

Lapeer, MI

#4082 Oct 1, 2013
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>I just got scheduled to get mine removed. They offered incremental lobotomy. Not sure which is better suited for me
They're going to sculpt a miniature Mount Rushmore out of mine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Dogen 76,988
News Angry lawmaker singles out 'female senators'... 15 hr Putins Glock Holster 1
1Z0-347 Exam Dumps - Valid Oracle 1Z0-347 Exam ... Sun denisenfritz 1
NS0-507 Exam Dumps - Valid NetApp NS0-507 Exam ... Sun denisenfritz 1
MA0-103 Exam Dumps - Valid McAfee MA0-103 Exam ... Sun denisenfritz 1
1Z0-160 Exam Dumps - Valid Oracle 1Z0-160 Exam ... Sun examprep 1
C9020-568 Exam Dumps - Valid IBM C9020-568 Exam... Sun examprep 1
More from around the web