Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Your conversation reminded me of this article...
http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/featu...
...and the mantis shrimp for some reason.:)
The conversation was "shrimpy" or it was insightful as the advanced eyes of the mantis shrimp? I'll sit in polarized light next time I post :)

Funny, I didn't even see this post before I posted one to shinning where I mentioned abiogenesis. When was the last time abiogenesis was mentioned on this thread and here it is mentioned twice, independently of each other, in a page's span.

Far as I know humans pirated chirality from nature and went from there. Maybe, in the context of deep space, destruction/creation of one isomer is preferential? Pretty neat.

“Gloria Ad Caput Venire”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>The conversation was "shrimpy" or it was insightful as the advanced eyes of the mantis shrimp? I'll sit in polarized light next time I post :)
Funny, I didn't even see this post before I posted one to shinning where I mentioned abiogenesis. When was the last time abiogenesis was mentioned on this thread and here it is mentioned twice, independently of each other, in a page's span.
Far as I know humans pirated chirality from nature and went from there. Maybe, in the context of deep space, destruction/creation of one isomer is preferential? Pretty neat.
Pirated chirality by pure chance from a combo of or one of 4 spins...up,down,left right?
But chirality of what or whom? Preferential by what? It is neat, I agree.(sorry to butt in)
Yolo

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Time is def an illusion...when I'm at work time creeps by sooooooo slowly. But when I'm off the day zips by and its 5:30 when I think it should be noon.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

positronium wrote:
<quoted text>In a real sense, then, if in fact we are talking to ourselves, just the waiting for a response, whether it actually comes or not, could be considered time, Right?
Or does time itself pop into and out of existence on the whims of a thinking being?
If individuals had that sort of effect on Time's appearance, we would expect to see variations between each individual's clock's, right? We don't see that. Or at least to a measurable degree.

However, there have been reports of researchers experiencing subtle inexplicable variations in Quantum experiment results when they left the room, stayed in the room, focused their thoughts on the experiment during their presence or letting their thoughts wander elsewhere during their presence, etc.

It is an exciting time in Science.

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>I guess it would have to be 'an occurrence involving motion'? Can something occur without motion?
The stickler here is that motion is relative.

If you and I are moving through space side-by-side at the same rate of speed relative to Earth, we are not moving relative to each other.

So...WE are not experiencing an "event" but the relative motion of the Earth is an "event" to us.

So, you can see that an "event" becomes a localized phenomenon and the application of this definition across the cosmos becomes problematical....

This is why the word "Relative" led to "Relativity".

Time AND Events become relative things.

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>I guess it would have to be 'an occurrence involving motion'? Can something occur without motion?
BTW, QE(Quantum Entanglement) can occur, theoretically, across the universe.

Two entangled electrons could react with each other "instantaneously" across the galaxy - no time involved.

Since no Time is involved directly(setting it all up took time), can we call it an "event" in the usual sense?

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>You haven't forgotten my convictions on consciousness, have you?
:)
"Human" is just a transient condition of consciousness.
'I','me','we','you', in my world, can all be taken to represent the true nature of what we are and if I'm right that "we" go on, as eternally as energy itself does, then perhaps "we" may come across opportunities to find some answers or at least some understanding, some way of rationalizing this thing we call 'existence'.
<quoted text> I think first we would need philosophical comfort from a plausible explanation of how anything can exist in the first place along with a way to confirm (make tangible) the structure of reality and then everything may fall into place more easily from there but we seem to have no choice but to work backward towards that foundational explanation of existence. Infinity is not philosophically comfortable and neither is finiteness.
Perhaps this comfort could come from Physics, from a unified theory, but I think science is too logical to ever find the golden nugget, but who knows. I can't help thinking it will be up to "us" to just realize it as we hopefully pass through states of consciousness beyond this human realm, on our way to understanding.
In reality there may not be a such thing as dimension. Dimension gives us (the illusion of?) a place called "here" which is next to a place called "there". It takes 'substance' to create dimension. So we assume there is substance to 'existence'. Doesn't an illusion require substance just the same?
As you said, a particle may be just an idea. Even an idea should have substance but maybe not. Without substance, science, as we know it, falls apart. But there will always be a new improved science to replace any that falls apart.
It has been said that, upon death, all things become clear to a person:)

"Infinity is not philosophically comfortable and neither is finiteness."

Very true. If there are infinite variations of what states COULD have been then why did we end up with a finite state of what actually IS?

To simply answer this question by saying that it was just Luck of the Draw, leaves all of us hungry for more. It is not an answer.

Was the Big Bang was just an accident? If so, can we then say that all that followed for the last 13.7 Billion years has also been part of a grand accident? Where does the accident stop and the certainty of reality begin?

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>You haven't forgotten my convictions on consciousness, have you?
:)
"Human" is just a transient condition of consciousness.
'I','me','we','you', in my world, can all be taken to represent the true nature of what we are and if I'm right that "we" go on, as eternally as energy itself does, then perhaps "we" may come across opportunities to find some answers or at least some understanding, some way of rationalizing this thing we call 'existence'.
<quoted text> I think first we would need philosophical comfort from a plausible explanation of how anything can exist in the first place along with a way to confirm (make tangible) the structure of reality and then everything may fall into place more easily from there but we seem to have no choice but to work backward towards that foundational explanation of existence. Infinity is not philosophically comfortable and neither is finiteness.
Perhaps this comfort could come from Physics, from a unified theory, but I think science is too logical to ever find the golden nugget, but who knows. I can't help thinking it will be up to "us" to just realize it as we hopefully pass through states of consciousness beyond this human realm, on our way to understanding.
In reality there may not be a such thing as dimension. Dimension gives us (the illusion of?) a place called "here" which is next to a place called "there". It takes 'substance' to create dimension. So we assume there is substance to 'existence'. Doesn't an illusion require substance just the same?
As you said, a particle may be just an idea. Even an idea should have substance but maybe not. Without substance, science, as we know it, falls apart. But there will always be a new improved science to replace any that falls apart.
"As you said, a particle may be just an idea. Even an idea should have substance but maybe not. Without substance, science, as we know it, falls apart."

Define "substance".

There's an old adage I like that says "As you think, so you are".

This applies to each individual.

But, as a species, "As we think, so we are, so is our reality".

A gravitational or magnetic field contains no substance but inhabits a certain space and spatial location. We deal with it. No substance with limited characteristics and yet a powerful participant.

Come to think of it, when we get right down in there to the fundamentals, all we have are fields in specified locations that react, transform, migrate and mutate. No "substance" at all.

Where does this leave us? Those chemical reactions inside of our craniums, the synaptic charges and discharges are fields reacting. So, when we study the cosmos, we have our internal organized fields reacting in response to other outside fields.

We are having a field day!
May Bee

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Time seems to ave speeded up, don't you think? Everyone seems to be making that pronouncement all the time these days.
The Bible says that in the last days the days will be shortened.
If time were to speed up, how else would we know it?

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

May Bee wrote:
Time seems to ave speeded up, don't you think? Everyone seems to be making that pronouncement all the time these days.
If you are enjoying a meal when Time begins to approach an end, hurry up and go back for seconds.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH A....

“Gloria Ad Caput Venire”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
If individuals had that sort of effect on Time's appearance, we would expect to see variations between each individual's clock's, right? We don't see that. Or at least to a measurable degree.
However, there have been reports of researchers experiencing subtle inexplicable variations in Quantum experiment results when they left the room, stayed in the room, focused their thoughts on the experiment during their presence or letting their thoughts wander elsewhere during their presence, etc.
It is an exciting time in Science.
I would think so but if we inject random chaos based on individual perception there could be variations but too small to accurately measure. Sort of a minute chaotic endless not repeating vibration of sorts resulting in a harmony of being.(I am thinking too much now and bordering on a rant)
Another thought.. About those who can see beyond what is considered the visible spectrum (both ways).. The colors they see.
What are their names?

“Gloria Ad Caput Venire”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
It has been said that, upon death, all things become clear to a person:)
"Infinity is not philosophically comfortable and neither is finiteness."
Very true. If there are infinite variations of what states COULD have been then why did we end up with a finite state of what actually IS?
To simply answer this question by saying that it was just Luck of the Draw, leaves all of us hungry for more. It is not an answer.
Was the Big Bang was just an accident? If so, can we then say that all that followed for the last 13.7 Billion years has also been part of a grand accident? Where does the accident stop and the certainty of reality begin?
I would venture a guess that the accident stops the instant a consciousness of being begins to shape what had just become past. At that instant reality is present........Maybe?(It's my best guess)

“Gloria Ad Caput Venire”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

I have so many questions. I don't know why.

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

positronium wrote:
I have so many questions. I don't know why.
Curiosity is the surest sign of intelligence.

Curiosity killed a cat

Satisfaction brought it back

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

positronium wrote:
<quoted text>I would venture a guess that the accident stops the instant a consciousness of being begins to shape what had just become past. At that instant reality is present........Maybe?(It's my best guess)
I don't think there are any pat answers.

A functioning, working, practical theory is the best we can get.

...and then next year, we get a theory that's a little bit better....

There are theories that the Universe itself is a cognizant intelligence but one with no particular motivation or preference.

IOW's, the Universe is aware of your being here by your interactions with it....fact is, you are part of that intelligence because you are part of the Universe. This is an inescapable fact and something that contributes to the difficulty of Cosmological Study. We are part of what we are studying.

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Judged:

positronium wrote:
<quoted text>I would think so but if we inject random chaos based on individual perception there could be variations but too small to accurately measure. Sort of a minute chaotic endless not repeating vibration of sorts resulting in a harmony of being.(I am thinking too much now and bordering on a rant)
Another thought.. About those who can see beyond what is considered the visible spectrum (both ways).. The colors they see.
What are their names?
Take a fully charged battery and mathematically add up the total Positive and Negative charges. What do you get? Zero.

Now take the same battery and fully discharge it. Now, mathematically add up the total Positive and Negative charges again. The result? Zero!

Thinking in these terms, in this context, ask yourself why the Universe even exists if the total sum of it = 0?

What are we missing here? Time.

Time is a sort of conduit of reality.

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Judged:

May Bee wrote:
So, tell me: what is the current "speed" or "rate" of Time?
Anonymous

Reno, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
i agree with that

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

positronium wrote:
<quoted text>I would think so but if we inject random chaos based on individual perception there could be variations but too small to accurately measure. Sort of a minute chaotic endless not repeating vibration of sorts resulting in a harmony of being.(I am thinking too much now and bordering on a rant)
What are their names?
"About those who can see beyond what is considered the visible spectrum (both ways).. The colors they see.
What are their names?"

Good question.

ESP1, ESP2, ESP3......??
May Bee

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
I see it kinda like my warsher. Slow for delicates, medium for jeans, fast for dirty work clothes. Then of course there is always spin, and best I can figure spin is always the same speed.
So, I figure there are several possible speeds available for different circumstances. But, the spin would have to stay the same because of gravity.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

16 Users are viewing the Science / Technology Forum right now

Search the Science / Technology Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Canada's claims of NRC hacking 'irresponsible,'... 10 min Where did Ebola start 1
Intelligent Design: Coming To A State Legislatu... (May '08) 2 hr dirty white boy- 52,888
Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 8 hr MikeF 171,611
NASA-funded X-ray instrument settles interstell... 12 hr SpaceBlues 2
Two new SETI programs will listen for aliens Thu Nulli Secundus 12
Australia is drying out thanks to our emissions Thu Jim the Hoax Denier 154
Gay Chinese man sues clinic for carrying out el... Thu Buddy 2
•••
•••