Is Time An Illusion?

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#3448 Jan 20, 2013
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if M. Stewart would let me go into her yard and cut off one of her limbs then coat the wound with asphalt...?
Hey....Martha Stewart knows everything. Don't mess with the Queen of Cuisine, Stocks and Arborise:]

Lapeer, MI

#3449 Jan 20, 2013
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
Under favorable conditions true...
Depending on how the limb was removed, the size and other environmental conditions it may be wise to cover the wound...
I have found that root damage on one side of a tree,at times, can cause bark shedding at the trunk.
This can leave more than half the trunk exposed. I coat the exposed wood until i can coax root growth...
That happened to a apple i have in the front yard . The cause of the bark loss was due to sun scald.
Martha Stewart..? I believe it was John McAfee that called into question some of her tree surgery techniques.
The rest of my above Cut-n-Paste said that pruning should usually be done in the Fall when insect activity is nil. Therefore, trimming, healing and the formation of dead wood as a shield can take place before late Spring and the onslaught of those insects.

They then went on to suggest the kind of pruning sealer to use, if you must.

Lapeer, MI

#3450 Jan 20, 2013
We had a Wind Storm last night and a power outage this morning. The house began getting real cold.

I got to test my generator circuit/Transfer Switch!!!

It works like a dream. I feel like George Westinghouse and Nikola Tesla with a little Thomas Edison tossed in.

OK. Maybe some Steve Jobs, too:}

I'm typing this all on a generator-fed computer. Made a coffee in my 1250 Watt Microwave Oven. Watched some TV. Made some calls on my cordless phones. Ran the Dishwasher. Next, I'll take a shower(Well Pump fed), brush my yellow chompers and run the Table Saw just for the hell of it:}.

Lapeer, MI

#3451 Jan 20, 2013
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if M. Stewart would let me go into her yard and cut off one of her limbs then coat the wound with asphalt...?
Martha has a crew of arborists and nursery types to run her plantations. The only time she does anything with nature is when she's before a camera crew.
SoE

Garden City, ID

#3452 Jan 20, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Martha has a crew of arborists and nursery types to run her plantations. The only time she does anything with nature is when she's before a camera crew.
Not puting to fine a point on it but i do think her landscaping crew would have more success cutting off one of her limbs than she would...altho they would not be my first choice...
SoE

Garden City, ID

#3453 Jan 20, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
The rest of my above Cut-n-Paste said that pruning should usually be done in the Fall when insect activity is nil. Therefore, trimming, healing and the formation of dead wood as a shield can take place before late Spring and the onslaught of those insects.
They then went on to suggest the kind of pruning sealer to use, if you must.
I usually do the bulk of triming in late fall or early sprung when i finally have...

I've had good luck using paraffin..sometimes mixed with pyrethum..
Then i move on to the organophosphates..Care must be taken with those as some forms are used as precursors for the military's requirement for nerve agents...They do a good job ridding pests up to and including apple/pear stealers...
SoE

Garden City, ID

#3454 Jan 20, 2013

I like to trim when i'm sure the sap has moved to the roots...Godda store all those carbs...
I usually keep about 6 40lb bags of fertlizer around...
I use mostly 34-0-0...and 18-46-0..not much need for potassium here although potassium will brighten the iris...
I buy most chemicals and fertilizer other than the 40 pounders in 5 lb quantities...
SoE

Garden City, ID

#3455 Jan 20, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
We had a Wind Storm last night and a power outage this morning. The house began getting real cold.
It works like a dream. I feel like George Westinghouse and Nikola Tesla with a little Thomas Edison tossed in.
I'm typing this all on a generator-fed computer. Made a coffee in my 1250 Watt Microwave Oven. Watched some TV. Made some calls on my cordless phones. Ran the Dishwasher. Next, I'll take a shower(Well Pump fed), brush my yellow chompers and run the Table Saw just for the hell of it:}.
Whoa,..well it looks to be a good investment...

Around here we know we have had a stiff breeze when you walk out and find the 40kw 3cyl dsl alternator blown over...:-)

Lapeer, MI

#3456 Jan 20, 2013
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoa,..well it looks to be a good investment...
Around here we know we have had a stiff breeze when you walk out and find the 40kw 3cyl dsl alternator blown over...:-)
Damned good investment. Almost as good an investment as a HS Education:]

Diesel is nice, I suppose, but doesn't the fuel go sour quicker than gasoline does?
SoE

United States

#3457 Jan 20, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Damned good investment. Almost as good an investment as a HS Education:]
Diesel is nice, I suppose, but doesn't the fuel go sour quicker than gasoline does?
It's my understanding that gas is good for abt 3 mo.(no stabilizer)

Dsl about 6 mo. to a year if kept lean and dry (no stabilizer)
Well maintained dsl alt. power plants should last a lifetime
with home use...The down side is the cost (although Chinese units
are quite completive) and then there is the weight...

Lapeer, MI

#3458 Jan 20, 2013
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
.....and Location, Location, Location.

When that Japanese Nuclear Power Plant was hit by the Tsunami, I was shocked to find out later that emergency generators were located below ground and they flooded!

I heard about it elsewhere, too, for hospitals around NY, New Orleans, etc.

How so-called "Systems Engineers" can be so asinine is beyond me.

"In case of floods, we can just locate our Emergency Power Plants underwater!"

Duh.

Lapeer, MI

#3459 Jan 20, 2013
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
I have read online some critical pieces about Chinese generators (gas, at least). Cheaply built, unreliable and always in for repairs.
Myself, I got a used Generac EXL 7000 w/12,500 Watt Surge for $500. Built in Wisconsin around 2005, I believe.

It was pre-owned by a little old lady:} Just kidding. Guy told me his elderly, widowed father-in-law kept it in the garage for emergencies but, as far as the guy knew, it was never used seriously. The father-in-law passed away and he was settling the estate. I asked "Why don't you just keep it for yourself?". He smiled, opened the garage door and showed me two more generators. One small one for hunting trips and a 10KW for his house.
SoE

United States

#3460 Jan 20, 2013
Maybe i should make that competitive...then go back and get me one o them their hs edjications eh
Oh well, i'm old and kant see to good nohow...
SoE

United States

#3461 Jan 20, 2013
A fellow down the block that had retired from the Air Force sold Generac. They looked like solid units..
When he wasn't selling he would drag his Mooney Mite airplane out of the garage and work on it :-)
500 dollars? That's borderline thievery isn't it?

Lapeer, MI

#3462 Jan 20, 2013
SoE wrote:
A fellow down the block that had retired from the Air Force sold Generac. They looked like solid units..
When he wasn't selling he would drag his Mooney Mite airplane out of the garage and work on it :-)
500 dollars? That's borderline thievery isn't it?
I have yet to feel guilty about taking advantage of people:]

Maybe there's something wrong with me. Ah...I'll work on it someday:]

Lapeer, MI

#3463 Jan 20, 2013
SoE wrote:
Maybe i should make that competitive...then go back and get me one o them their hs edjications eh
Oh well, i'm old and kant see to good nohow...
Edjucation comes by many ways. The formal one is never complete without the informal one.

And the informal one very often stands on its own with no further enhancements needed.

“Truth is beyond wavelength ”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#3464 Jan 20, 2013
Thanks SoE

I should have asked you years ago. What was I thinking? I always try to leave a tiny bit past the trunk like you said, so to allow the cambium to grow out. But I never thought to use something more biocompatible for a sealer; I guess I thought a tree could handle a day or two of mineral spirits as it dries out.

The usual tree response I see is that the tree is trying to grow over the wound but it seems it would take a decade to complete at the rate I normally see, and the new growth that is trying to cover the wound is usually pretty thick. But that one wound that I mentioned was done in a year had a very thin layer of what seemed like living tissue having a very thin smooth bark "skin".

I wonder if it's too late for the other wounds? I'm tempted to experiment with scraping the skin off the leading edge of the "healing mass" (inner circumference) and then paint it over with the latex? I know you said to be careful to leave the cambium alone but after this many years I wonder if that might be an idea?

Location hidden

#3465 Jan 20, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
Dang we seem to be on the same weather track. I was out of power this morning too. But my generator is at my parent's house. Whoever is out of power last has to store the generator. I waited it out; turns out it was about six hours so not bad.....*this* time.

You mean you didn't test out your system right after you finished it? Well I'm glad it worked out. Especially after all that work.

Lapeer, MI

#3466 Jan 20, 2013
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>Dang we seem to be on the same weather track. I was out of power this morning too. But my generator is at my parent's house. Whoever is out of power last has to store the generator. I waited it out; turns out it was about six hours so not bad.....*this* time.
You mean you didn't test out your system right after you finished it? Well I'm glad it worked out. Especially after all that work.
Well, I kept putting of the test because of the noise and my neighbors and other interferences caused by life schedules, etc.

For one, I kept re-reading articles about turning your generator into one with a "Floating Neutral" for home Supply use. I feared the safety factor of doing it or not doing it.

A free standing generator is an entire power source "system" and, therefore, the Ground and the Neutral are linked together just like you do inside of a home's Service Panel.

But when you intend to power your home with that same generator, it become an "attendant" system. This means that Neutral and Ground are tied together in your Service Panel *AND* inside of the generator. This is a no-no. For safety's sake, there should never be multiple Grounds inside of a power system.

Circuit Breakers trip to protect against overloads but also because of shorts to Ground. Imagine a scenario where there are multiple paths to Ground running through different CB's. No CB would receive enough current to trip it because that Ground Path has been divided into smaller pieces.

There are many other scenarios where multiple Ground Paths can become dangerous and also damage equipment.

Long story short, it is almost a must that people disconnect Ground & Neutral inside the generator so that, when plugged into a home's electrical grid, it doesn't present another Ground to the system. That way, when you plug your generator's 4-wire 220V cord into the Home's system, you are connecting Neutral-to-Neutral and Ground-to-Ground. Might sound confusing but it's not if you draw out the system diagram.

Anyways....I wanted to make damned sure I knew what I was doing before I did anything like blow up the Service Panel, electrocute myself or burn out my Microwave. I'm cautious that way because, aside from financial losses, I also want to stay alive:>

If I ever want to use that generator as a free-standing power supply, say, at a picnic or barbecue in the forest, it is a safety must that I re-combine the Neutral and Ground inside the generator. I'm going to print out a NOTICE: This Generator Has Ground and Neutral Unbonded. Re-Bond For Free-Standing Isolated Use.

Location hidden

#3467 Jan 20, 2013
I wonder, couldn't we basically just graft a patch? Just like they do for humans, I could cut a round outer patch from a far away and less important part of the tree and then cut it fit and somehow secure it. What you think?

I always think about these things too late. I hope I don't lose my maple tree due to the insides rotting out from the limbectomies that won't heal.

The wounds I'm talking about are low nearer the ground so if the tree rots out from there down then I lose basically the whole tree. I know a tree can grow for a heck of a long time even when hollow but I hate to take chances with a tree so valuable for shade, and because it's a nice....tree.

I can't tell you how many live healthy *looking* trees I've cut or trimmed for customers that were completely hollow. Old pines included. But still.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 27 min Into The Night 87,335
Wearing diapers makes people incotinent BEWARE (Dec '10) 4 hr Bedwetter669 42
News Perrone Robotics Collaborates With Machine Lear... 7 hr Gematria News Sta... 1
News Sea ice cover at both poles at lowest point of ... (Mar '17) Mon Into The Night 66
neuroscience Sun Wonderer 1
Progress in AI isnít as Impressive as You Might... Sun danlovy 1
Noam Chomsky Has Weighed In On A.I. Where Do Yo... Sun danlovy 1
More from around the web