Is Time An Illusion?

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#3386 Jan 11, 2013
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>I love it, that's hilarious. Hey like you said, it's a natural and fun habitat for the wildlife. Your pond is the place to be if you're a turtle or frog :)
I have one last standing but dead poplar that needs to come down and I didnt have time last year but one of these days I'll do it. Part of it might hit the pond. I don't maintain my pond so I won't be goin in there to retrieve too much either, so hopefully I can just pull it out.
Tree size is the determining factor as to whether or not you want to pull it out. A 6" - 12" trunk...maybe. But when you get into Lumber Mill sizes...all bets are off. Let it lie and walk away.

As the Turtles like to say: women like the big trunks:}

“Truth is beyond wavelength ”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#3387 Jan 11, 2013
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
When i take the time to think about the condition of the earth
it appears we should be doing a lot of cleanup...
Hereabouts it's mining waste largely. There is a lot of mineral processing chemicals and uranium tailings around...
The fact that population is inextricably tied to industry/technology i believe it will be a close race to put the earth back into some form of a healthy environment.
Trees...well here we have lost about a 1/3 of the coniferous forest to pine beetles...
I removed 6 american elms several years ago because of dutch elm
disease also many 100's have been removed from residences and parks. There are a few oriental elms about yet.
Most of the elms were replaced with green ash and now it's the emerald ash borer...
I have a nice mountain ash in the front of the yard that i watch closely...
I have a number of fruit trees that i planted 15 or 20 years ago
two are espalier apples that i've trained....I checked with Henry Luthart(sp)and to replace them would be between 700and 1400 each for a comparable size/age...gag..gag
more later..have a fine day..........
Hopefully your fruit trees are doin good. How long do they normally live?

I agree the world could use a cleaner way but..........

Location hidden

#3388 Jan 11, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Tree size is the determining factor as to whether or not you want to pull it out. A 6" - 12" trunk...maybe. But when you get into Lumber Mill sizes...all bets are off. Let it lie and walk away.
As the Turtles like to say: women like the big trunks:}
Well if ya want it bad enough there's always a big trackhoe you can rent, or a crane. But I'm with you.......like, so what? In time it will disappear on its own anyway.

I imagine turtles to have a lot of time on their hands; they probably are horny little devils.

Lapeer, MI

#3389 Jan 11, 2013
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>Well if ya want it bad enough there's always a big trackhoe you can rent, or a crane. But I'm with you.......like, so what? In time it will disappear on its own anyway.
I imagine turtles to have a lot of time on their hands; they probably are horny little devils.
How does that ol' sayin' go?

Look at the humble turtle. The only time he gets a little is when he sticks his head out.

:}
SoE

Garden City, ID

#3390 Jan 11, 2013
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>Hopefully your fruit trees are doin good. How long do they normally live?
I agree the world could use a cleaner way but..........

Actually i'm not sure..all that i have now are over 20 yrs old..
I tried apricots, peaches and a oriental plum that i grafted to a wild plum (root stock)
The peach lasted 3 yrs..the apricots lasted 1 yr..the plum is 20 yrs old but dying
Here in this particular area the ph isn't right for stone fruit
and the soil is very dense...so, bacterial gummosis does the stone fruit trees in in short order..
I believe the more stunting(dwarfing) the root stock the shorter the life span...
The soil in the backyard is exactly the same as the wine grape growing areas of certain french verieties.(lots of fossilized sea shells ect)I started with 54 varieties and only one took.
It's all interesting....
SoE

Garden City, ID

#3391 Jan 11, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Tree size is the determining factor as to whether or not you want to pull it out. A 6" - 12" trunk...maybe. But when you get into Lumber Mill sizes...
You will need some real biceps :-)
SoE

Garden City, ID

#3392 Jan 11, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Turning up the volume on the Constitution would be a good thing.
There's nothing like a good ol' roaring sea shanty to wake the morning watch....

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#3393 Jan 11, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Over the past maybe 25 years, that pond has completely dried up only one time. If it happens again before I die, I'll consider walking down there (about 9' deep when water-filled) and cutting it all up. In the meantime, the turtles love crawling up onto the branches and trunk to sun themselves and have raw sex.
I was able to walk onto the main trunk with a chainsaw a few years ago to lower those branches sticking up skywards but cleaning it all up will be a huge chore to be attempted somewhere in my uncertain future. It looks natural and somewhat appealing at this moment.
Rustic has its charms.

http://fortrosefreechurchofscotland.files.wor...

I've seen quite a few turtles sunbathing but never mating. They must be shy in my area.

Lapeer, MI

#3394 Jan 12, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text> Rustic has its charms.
http://fortrosefreechurchofscotland.files.wor...
I've seen quite a few turtles sunbathing but never mating. They must be shy in my area.
Rustic and nice indeed.

Turtles in a half-shell by candlelight sounds romantic:}

Location hidden

#3395 Jan 12, 2013
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually i'm not sure..all that i have now are over 20 yrs old..
I tried apricots, peaches and a oriental plum that i grafted to a wild plum (root stock)
The peach lasted 3 yrs..the apricots lasted 1 yr..the plum is 20 yrs old but dying
Here in this particular area the ph isn't right for stone fruit
and the soil is very dense...so, bacterial gummosis does the stone fruit trees in in short order..
I believe the more stunting(dwarfing) the root stock the shorter the life span...
The soil in the backyard is exactly the same as the wine grape growing areas of certain french verieties.(lots of fossilized sea shells ect)I started with 54 varieties and only one took.
It's all interesting....
The question, "how long do they *normally* live?" doesn't even seem valid/reasonable anymore.

A year ago in the Fall I transplanted 3 oaks and four cherry trees. These were ones that sprouted up in my yard and had been growing for a couple years. Only two oaks made it out of the seven trees. I didn't do anything fancy like "root-pruning" the Springtime before that, or feeding it high phosphorus, or potassium or whatever you're supposed to feed it to enhance the root growth. But still, only two survivors? Next time I'll have to try all the tricks.

I would like to believe that Springtime is the time to transplant, like once the juices start flowing so that it can act/respond immediately on transplanting. But they say Fall is the time.

Location hidden

#3396 Jan 12, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
How does that ol' sayin' go?
Look at the humble turtle. The only time he gets a little is when he sticks his head out.
:}
Somehow I don't think that same technique would work for us :)

Unless of course we're asking for a slap, maybe even the slapping on of handcuffs

Maybe I wanna be a turtle next life? I used to think 'eagle', but this makes me think :)

Lapeer, MI

#3397 Jan 12, 2013
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>The question, "how long do they *normally* live?" doesn't even seem valid/reasonable anymore.
A year ago in the Fall I transplanted 3 oaks and four cherry trees. These were ones that sprouted up in my yard and had been growing for a couple years. Only two oaks made it out of the seven trees. I didn't do anything fancy like "root-pruning" the Springtime before that, or feeding it high phosphorus, or potassium or whatever you're supposed to feed it to enhance the root growth. But still, only two survivors? Next time I'll have to try all the tricks.
I would like to believe that Springtime is the time to transplant, like once the juices start flowing so that it can act/respond immediately on transplanting. But they say Fall is the time.
Don't ALL fruit orchards have a lifespan? That's my understanding.

Plums -- 20-30 years?
Apples,...the same?

The Tree Of Knowledge,....pending....

“GOD ALMIGHTY”

Since: Aug 12

Colchester, UK

#3398 Jan 12, 2013
Something somewhere is causing days like the other day, which was another one of those Hyper spaced frozen time flux days. Find what's causing it precisely then learn how to manipulate nature's response.

What if every day was a Hyper spaced day then all life would be immortal.

Plums chums will do infinity and eternity promise you.

“GOD ALMIGHTY”

Colchester, UK

#3399 Jan 12, 2013
I just know the answer to the problem has something todo with fractals and finding the algebraic geometry of how the water molecule transfers itself into diamond isotopes.

May ever make and old guy kinda rich, in one sense or another might it.

“GOD ALMIGHTY”

Colchester, UK

#3400 Jan 12, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Rustic and nice indeed.
Screw the turtles think crabs.

Like CRAB NEBULA our way oout this dump in the search for a royal planet and an English speaking colony that's free.

Location hidden

#3401 Jan 12, 2013
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>The question, "how long do they *normally* live?" doesn't even seem valid/reasonable anymore.
Are you too far North to grow nut trees?

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/ar...

You're supposed to cut off any wounded roots before planting your fruit trees.

Location hidden

#3402 Jan 12, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Rustic and nice indeed.
That's just mean.

Lapeer, MI

#3403 Jan 12, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>That's just mean.
I am not mean but only clumsily unaware at times:>

Lapeer, MI

#3404 Jan 12, 2013
the dark lord wrote:
I just know the answer to the problem has something todo with fractals and finding the algebraic geometry of how the water molecule transfers itself into diamond isotopes.
May ever make and old guy kinda rich, in one sense or another might it.
You need to meet Al Chemy.

Location hidden

#3405 Jan 12, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not mean but only clumsily unaware at times:>
I think the turtle might have a different point of view.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How do Flat Earth truthers explain the eclipse?... 1 hr Parden Pard 6
News Former NASA director to speak at Murray Aug. 17 10 hr Suedarnellellis 1
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 hr Science 78,741
DVDFab Back to School Promotion Save Up to 35% 13 hr dvdlover 1
How to Recover Data from Broken Samsung Galaxy ... Sat MagloireHunt 1
News Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) Sat InsideJob 739
News Spacewalking cosmonauts release 3-D-printed sat... Fri Mullahing It Over 1
More from around the web